Action Thread 6

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 6

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Entering the waters.

The night passes quietly. Though Van notices some far off movement of a group of humanoids. Yosef looks up and can barely catch the movement, but the group seems to move off and doesn't seem to be a concern.

While the others prepare to finish the raft, and Derek walks around with a dark arrow, Till prepares to enter the water. Till takes off anything that will slow him down, dons the borrowed bracers and ensure his ring is firmly in place, straps on dagger and sword, attaching a lit (with LIGHT spell) stick, with the oh-so-helpful twine, to him to float along side him. Casting Resist Cold Bruard warns Till that he has but 40 minutes before the spell wears off.

The two small fires are lit at opposite parts of the shore with the leftover and unfit for the raft wood.

Slipping into the water Till is surprised to learn (within a few minutes) that he cannot find the bottom. No matter how long he holds his breath, and how far down he thinks he can get, no bottom. The shore drops off steep, and seems to go on forever.

I'm assuming at this point Till heads out, but wanted to stop for others to weigh in, for any adjustments, and just in case I missed anything I didn't want to get too far ahead.

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Light on a Stick (twine) 95 minutes, Resist Cold (Till) 35 minutes left, Torch (out) (hallway entrance) 55 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Action Thread 6

#2 Post by Vokarius »

"Yep, arrow is still dark"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, sorry, Ron, we'd decided to cast light on the arrow and not the stick (or use an arrow AS the stick at first) so that it could be shot from the shore, as well as be used by Till when swimming.

Once Till realizes there is no bottom to be found, he'll climb back up on shore and let the rest of the group know.

"If you're on the raft... don't fall off if you can't swim."

Till then secures the arrow (with the Light spell cast on it...) with one end of the twine and, for a lack of anything else to use, secures the other end of the twine to the raft.

"Let's see what we find out with the 'Arrow of Light', Derek. We only have about 200' of twine (Till has 100' and Yosef has 100'), which only gives us a distance of about 65 yards, but the light should extend another 20' or so beyond the arrow. Let's hope whatever is out there is not any further away... Maybe start by checking the middle, Derek?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by migellito »

"We might consider casting that light-giving spell on a stone and dropping it in the water.. I suppose it would solve little more than curiosity at this point, though."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

OOC: Heh, y'all are trying to kill me! :) he didn't change his Character Sheet spell list, but I believe that Toni was taking 2 Light spells for Bruard. But I won't assume he'll burn 'em both. :D So, are you lighting up arrow or rock. Arrow definitely floats, so you wouldn't be able to see how far down the waters go.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

I'm more concerned with finding the tomb over the bottom of the lake, so I say the arrow.

Besides... if Till couldn't find the bottom, holding his breath for as long as he could, then knowing where the bottom was wouldn't help us retrieve anything from it at this point... it would still be unobtainable. Maybe if we come across a water breathing potion at some point, we could come back and give it a try?

By the way... this brings up the question of raft propulsion. If there is no bottom we can touch on, then we'll have to have someone pull the raft or push while swimming or... *shrugs* something.

Dang, why does this tomb have to be so hard to plunder???

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by migellito »

Alethan wrote:I'm more concerned with finding the tomb over the bottom of the lake, so I say the arrow.

Besides... if Till couldn't find the bottom, holding his breath for as long as he could, then knowing where the bottom was wouldn't help us retrieve anything from it at this point... it would still be unobtainable. Maybe if we come across a water breathing potion at some point, we could come back and give it a try?

By the way... this brings up the question of raft propulsion. If there is no bottom we can touch on, then we'll have to have someone pull the raft or push while swimming or... *shrugs* something.

Dang, why does this tomb have to be so hard to plunder???
Yep, going to need a paddle :)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

Sorry, yes Ron you got the spells that I opted for correct. I've updated my player character sheet.
Bruard looks around for a spare piece of wood that would make a good paddle. Does he see anything like that?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

The amount of broken up wood yields a pretty good amount of wood. And there are 3 or 4 plankish bits that can be used to paddle. The ogre obviously used it for everything. The raft won't be pretty but looks like it will be functional.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Doesn't look like anyone disagrees, so say light was cast on the arrow, Ron, and then go with shooting a lighted arrow into the dark to see what we can see...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

Day 12 – Shot seen round the underground lake...

Bruard casts again, Light upon the arrow from Derek's quiver. 200' of twine is attached and laid out so as to no impede the flight of the arrow too much, he aims straight out from the hall (assuming it's center) and let's fly.

For moments you all watch it fly over dark water, until it illuminates a ledge coming out of the waters. The arrow clatters against some sort of stairway rising from a water level ledge about 80' out. The stairway seems to climb up and around a rocky (what you can assume is an island) but it's hard to see much with the distance and the 20' radius of the Light spell. But definitely a ledge and a stair leading up from it around an island (?) of rock.

Derek starts to pull back the arrow via the twine with ease. Vok, please give me a d100 roll.

Actions?

HPs: Jeloon - 28/29; Till - 32/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 40/40
MO: 1- Till; 2 - Jeloon & Derek; 3 - Ancor; 4 - Yosef & Bruard
Consumables: Light on the arrow (on twine): 95 minutes; Light on a Stick (now not on twine) 90 minutes, Resist Cold (Till) 30 minutes left, Torch (out) (hallway entrance) 55 minutes left, 40' radius; Lantern (out) (Ancor) 4 hours left, 30' radius.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Sorry, I should have made it clear that Till would pick up the torch by the entrance. I guess if I didn't say it, it didn't happen. No big deal.

IC: "Ok, we'll need to get a few of the planks to use as paddles. I'll climb up and grab some, and the torch I'd set aside up there, while the rest of you prepare the raft for departure. Derek, when you're done dragging that arrow back, just take the twine off and untie them and I'll grab my twine from you when I get back."

Till climbs back up the rope, using the glowing stick for light, and goes back to the entrance to grab four planks of wood to use as paddles and the partly used torch. He'll make this trip as quickly as possible.

When he gets back, as long as there is still time left on the spell, Till will be happy to swim out to the island along side the raft to make sure there is plenty of room for the others.

OOC: By the way, Ron, have you determined how many people the make-shift raft will be able to hold?

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by Vokarius »

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by rredmond »

Vokarius wrote:13
[1d100] = 13
Thank you.

Considering time and materials you can get six folks on the raft easily. Two lines of three guys on their knees.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

Let's make it happen, then.

We'll leave the stick with the light spell cast on it on the shore, so we can easily make it back, in case the fires burn down too much while we're gone.

On the raft:
Jeloon Yosef Till
Bruard Ancor Vok

Sound good to everyone? Anything else we need to do before we go?

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by migellito »

"Everyone on a corner, take a paddle." I then take one myself, and as soon as we're pushed off I begin paddling. "Stroke in time with me."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

Ancor carrying a torch?

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote: Sound good to everyone? Anything else we need to do before we go?
Yes, let's do this. I'll paddle as well.

OOC: Sorry for my absence the last couple days... It's been one of those weeks
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Ancor carrying a torch?
Sorry, Ancor will use the retrieved torch as a light source. Vok will also have the arrow with the Light spell cast on it.

Vokarius
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by Vokarius »

Derek will fire out the arrow with the light spell and then pull it back in at intervals...

OOC: What intervals do you want him to use?

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”