OOC Discussion

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#81 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Torchbearer is designed to kill you in many other ways besides combat...

Err, ah, that is to say... the conflict resolution system allows for a broad variety of contests, and monster stat blocks describe multiple ways to overcome an enemy besides fighting.

I have to force a test so I can call this a turn, don't I?

Having just set up bookmarks and references throughout my Burning Empires PDF, I appreciate how good the Torchbearer PDF is by comparison...
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Keehnelf »

Yup, gotta have a test to have a turn...

I was surprised the goblin offered so much info even without a persuade test, let alone a conflict!

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The goblins want you out. I guess I can't comment further about their motivations, except that what they are sharing with you, they aren't trying to hide that information if it gets them what they want.

If you and the goblins were at cross purposes, then it would be test time.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#84 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Psh it's all a goblin trick. ;) I can smell their fear and it looks like they almost peed in their loincloths.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Well, one thing I haven't done is to throw your characters' Beliefs in your faces... I've got to work on that, but it's still early in the game.

GreyWolfVT

#86 Post by GreyWolfVT »

alright fine it's a DM trick then ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#87 Post by Q.Q Elf »

GreyWolfVT wrote:alright fine it's a DM trick then ;)
It's all a DM trick! And with Beliefs & Traits & Instincts & Goals, I know what buttons I'm supposed to push when I pull dirty tricks. ;)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#88 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Okay, I think I've smacked most of you in the face with some bits of Belief or characterization.

I need to try harder to get Simon's Belief worked in, I think. I can only push the bounds of taste so far before I get in trouble, but we can get to a place that Ahmad doesn't want written in the Omnipaedia without getting gruesome, I think.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#89 Post by Simon »

Yeah I'm kinda having a hard time figuring out how to play the belief too. It's not very actionable. I know the beliefs in TB arent supposed to be as goal oriented as BW's but I think this is still pushing it.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#90 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Simon wrote:Yeah I'm kinda having a hard time figuring out how to play the belief too. It's not very actionable. I know the beliefs in TB arent supposed to be as goal oriented as BW's but I think this is still pushing it.
Feel free to revisit it. It's still early on, so changing it now won't be the end of the world.

I have ideas to get it in play, but it's easier to push the other characters' buttons.

GreyWolfVT

#91 Post by GreyWolfVT »

it was easy enough to push the dwarf's buttons....

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Well, the Dwarf skull was a bit below the belt, but it gets the point across, and Horris' Belief is about showing restraint (unlike the younger races). My job is to try to challenge the order of things.

As for having the rulebook, there are some good descriptions of Conflict rules out there. I can try to sum it up, but I've got a few other things to hunt down beforehand.

It's not like D&D, where you attack & you get attacked in return. It's not a one-for-one, eye-for-an-eye kind of deal. Anyway, I'll post more later.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by Q.Q Elf »

The Torchbearer PDF looks great on my Nook e-Reader (the e-Ink one). It's like a regular ePub with the way it flows the text.

The Burning Empires PDF? Not so great. You need to use a color tablet to read it, and the layout is a bit funky with the way they made the PDF (2 pages per PDF page)... it clearly shows its age.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#94 Post by Simon »

Q.Q Elf wrote:
Simon wrote:Yeah I'm kinda having a hard time figuring out how to play the belief too. It's not very actionable. I know the beliefs in TB arent supposed to be as goal oriented as BW's but I think this is still pushing it.
Feel free to revisit it. It's still early on, so changing it now won't be the end of the world.

I have ideas to get it in play, but it's easier to push the other characters' buttons.
I'll see what I can do.

On an unrelated note, damn your eyes for starting a Burning Empires campaign. ;) I can barely keep up with this thread alongside Keehnelf's campaign, but I'm going to have a really really hard time resisting the call of BE.
-Tehching Hsieh

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Simon wrote:On an unrelated note, damn your eyes for starting a Burning Empires campaign. ;) I can barely keep up with this thread alongside Keehnelf's campaign, but I'm going to have a really really hard time resisting the call of BE.
Ha! I can't guarantee Burning Empires will work at all because if I have to sell people on playing, then I don't want to have to drag them through the Scene Economy. "Color Scene? You mean I don't roll any dice and nothing happens? Can't we just roll some dice?!"

If there's people to talk about World Burning, then maybe we take a baby step towards a campaign. I just don't want to persuade. When it comes to Vaylen infection, the people who need to be persuaded are part of the problem! I'm trying to warn people away, first and foremost. ;)

GreyWolfVT

#96 Post by GreyWolfVT »

eh I'm in plenty of games currently even though half of em barely get game updates on a daily basis. That is why I keep joining other games that have openings. But right now I am not interested in BE or any further BW type games I have to get my mind entirely wrapped around TB before I go delving into more. ;)

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#97 Post by Simon »

Q.Q Elf wrote:Ha! I can't guarantee Burning Empires will work at all because if I have to sell people on playing, then I don't want to have to drag them through the Scene Economy. "Color Scene? You mean I don't roll any dice and nothing happens? Can't we just roll some dice?!"

If there's people to talk about World Burning, then maybe we take a baby step towards a campaign. I just don't want to persuade. When it comes to Vaylen infection, the people who need to be persuaded are part of the problem! I'm trying to warn people away, first and foremost. ;)
Very responsible of you. Its definitely a game that demands a ton of buy-in and at least some level of rules mastery to run smoothly I think. Hopefully something comes of it. I'm ready to burn a world at the very least.
-Tehching Hsieh

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Q.Q Elf »

I also have Freemarket... but that also becomes a game of, "Well, what am I supposed to do?" Not to mention the decks of cards, and tokens to pass around.

Burning Empires is far more manageable by comparison.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by Q.Q Elf »

GreyWolfVT wrote:eh I'm in plenty of games currently even though half of em barely get game updates on a daily basis. That is why I keep joining other games that have openings. But right now I am not interested in BE or any further BW type games I have to get my mind entirely wrapped around TB before I go delving into more. ;)
Burning Empires is a huge adjustment even for people who are semi-familiar with the Burning Wheel systems. You then have to overlay mechanics for the world. In a Burning Wheel way. So every part of the world has some direct connection to the characters somehow, and things start to go wrong in the places where your character is supposed to care about...

And the enemy is something that is compared to an infection. So, think Ebola in your hometown, or even where your friends and family work & live. The infection is spreading, and you can't stop it all. And you can't save everything and everyone that you care about. That's what you shoot for, anyway.

GreyWolfVT

#100 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm going to stick with I pass, sorry. :?

Return to “Torchbearer: Return to the Keep on the Borderlands”