Chapter I: Damring Fortress, Part 2

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter I: Damring Fortress, Part 2

#401 Post by Starbeard »

Raizenbrayne becomes somewhat overly excited at stumbling upon the orcs, and follows eagerly behind Agrom, waving his arms about wildly and making shooing and boogie noises at the orcs.

Raize's best options are to Defend or Maneuver; my gut instinct is to go with Maneuver, which would ideally go before an Attack, and might even disarm one of the opponents if I roll particularly well. I'm all for trying to get rid of them as soon as possible, and in that case an aggressive Attack-Maneuver-Attack could do the trick, but now that we've had a few of these conflicts I've found that I'm always a little paranoid of the GM putting a Feint in the middle.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by sulldawga »

How about Attack (Agrom) - Attack (Harlan) - Maneuver (Raiz)?

Aggressive up front and then the Maneuver sets us up for the next round?

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#403 Post by Simon »

I'm okay with that. I was thinking of doing a maneuver, as I get the bonus with the Sling. But I do have the sword now, so I suppose I could switch things up. I do like the Attk-Attk-Maneuver.
A little bit of damage is good for the system
-Tehching Hsieh

Harlan Wax, Halfling Burglar - Flickering Light (Torchbearer)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by sulldawga »

Simon wrote:I'm okay with that. I was thinking of doing a maneuver, as I get the bonus with the Sling. But I do have the sword now, so I suppose I could switch things up. I do like the Attk-Attk-Maneuver.
Let's not forget that, unless things go exceptionally well for us or them, we'll have another round for you to switch to the sling.

Keehnelf, we'll go with:

Agrom - Attack
Harlan - Attack
Raiz - Maneuver

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Keehnelf »

Ok, the orcs' first action is also attack! A fierce melds ensues. Will you describe Agrom's actions? I'll post Hork Norfork's action in a bit (running behind this morning).

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will drop the torch, draw his sword, and charge the closest orc. He's looking to bash it with his shield and slap its head with the flat of his blade.
Forgot to mention, I'm taking my +1d from my Sword on Attack.

Assuming I'm getting Fighter help from Harlan... 4d +1d (Sword) +1d (Harlan) -1d (Sick) = 5d. Three hits!

Agrom attacks orcs [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 5

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Keehnelf »

We'll resolve this exchange as-is, but I'll roll now to see if the torch goes out when it is dropped (always a possibility). On a 1-2, the torch goes out and everyone is in dim lighting starting with the next exchange.

Torch Extinguishing Roll [1d6] = 4

Safe! We need to designate who is covered by the torch's full light apart from Agrom--it will remain that way for the entirety of the conflict.

Hork and his buddies charge forward as they catch sight of the party, hoping to hack them mostly to death and then take whatever remains and do whatever it is that orcs do with their captives...

They are using their swords as prods, trying to herd the party and keep them from escaping through the threat of injury (+1D Maneuver when using the Sword this fight).

Attack! [6d6s4] = 3

The orcs get 3 successes, which is reduced by 1 for Agrom's armor and doesn't quite knock him out of the fight.

Agrom Armor Check [1d6] = 2

The magical armor takes its first bit of damage--Hork's sword catches at one of the buckles under the arm and knocks it loose, but due to its reinforced construction it holds together.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Keehnelf »

In turn, the flat of Agrom's blade lands squarely against Hork's head, knocking him sprawling backward into the dust and rubble. In his sprawling fall, he throws Bork Vrondork off-balance as well.

HP Remaining:
Bork Vrondork: 1/2
Hork Norfork: 0/2
Zagruul the Incinerator: 2/2

Agrom: 1/3
Harlan: 2/2
Raizenbrayne: 2/2

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Keehnelf »

Second exchange is:

Harlan Attack w/Sling vs. Bork Vrondork Maneuver

Bork gets: 4D, +1D for help from Zagruul the Incinerator, +1D for using his Sword as his tool.

Bork tries to get around the party on one side while Zagruul circles from the other, attempting to drive the party back up on to the narrow steps and restrict their movement and available options.

Bork Vrondork Maneuver [6d6s4] = 3

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by Starbeard »

Not a bad start!

Raizenbrayne stops short when the orcs attack, watching Agrom trade some rather impressive blows. He slinks back, parallel to the orc on his side to keep the party's flank refused, and makes sure to duck beneath the deadly trajectory of Harlan's sling. 'Go have 'em, Harlan! All yours!'

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#411 Post by Simon »

Harlan quickly catches onto the Ork's flanking maneuver and, hoping to snuff out their tactical pivot before the party is pincered, swiftly takes aim, letting fly a smooth, fist sized stone.

Fighter 3D + 1D Help from Agrom = 4D

[1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 6, [1d6] = 5
-Tehching Hsieh

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Keehnelf »

OK, that makes a tied match, no damage to the Orcs but they don't gain a benefit from their maneuver.

Third exchange is their Feint vs. the party's Maneuver, which both test independently.

Bork seems to overstep himself, coming up on to the stairs to get behind the party, and when their attention is drawn over to him, Zagruul the Incinerator lashes out suddenly with an attack against Raizenbrayne.

4D for Nature, +1D help from Bork
Zagruul's Feint [5d6s4] = 4

His blow is devastating, throwing Raizenbrayne to the ground and barreling through to set his sights on the rest of the party, his slavering orc-jaws glistening with anticipated culinary delight.

This means Raizenbrayne will be dropped to 0 HP and Agrom needs to allocate the remaining 2 points of disposition damage, either removing Harlan as well or knocking himself out and reducing Harlan by one point. Scary!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by sulldawga »

Let's see how Raiz's Maneuver comes out before I decide.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by Starbeard »

Raizenbrayne spots the orcs moving off to either side and tries to move with the one on his side, keeping him to his front. He holds the warhammer rather ungracefully, unable to wield it to any effect. Moving across the stairs he spies an spot where the flagstones have sunk a foot or so, causing the stones on the step above them to slip down and block access onto the stairs from that side. Raizenbrayne quickly takes up a position above the drooping stones there, hoping to block the orc's advance and provide some leverage for himself—he puts on his most convincing combat posture and swings the hammer about threateningly, hoping to stop the orc's advance long enough for one of the real fighters to drive him off.
Will 5 -1D (sick) = 4D

[1d6] = 1, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 4, [1d6] = 1

Two successes — our side gets +2D to the next action!

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Keehnelf »

roll an extra die for Agrom's help--he's not Afraid so he can still do something there.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Starbeard »

Oh yeah!

[1d6] = 4

Sweet! This actually produces a slight conundrum: +2D/-1D for the next turn, or disarm one of the opponent's equipment.

Do I get to choose which item would get disarmed? I'm leaning on shield, since one more hit and the orcs might want to start defending, but sulldawga or Simon might want to disagree.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah, you get to decide what to disarm. The only relevant things they have are their weapons of Sword and Shield, and no traits that impact play.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by sulldawga »

I'd recommend Impede and Gain Position.

Simon
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#419 Post by Simon »

I'd agree with Sully. This isn't going to last long either way and a 3D swing for the next action could be crucial.
-Tehching Hsieh

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Starbeard »

That's settled then. We'll take a +2D to our next action, and -1D to their next action.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”