The adventure begins

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The adventure begins

#1 Post by wolfpack »

For ease of getting started we will say the three of you met in a village called Rashtan several months ago and have been traveling together ever since.

You are all heading to the great city of Starlorn along the Travelers Way road. It has been almost 2 weeks since you have come across a settlement, but last evening before you stopped to set camp you began seeing farm land and homesteads.

Now after walking again all day today you see the signs of a small hamlet in the distance.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The adventure begins

#2 Post by wolfpack »

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Todd Spengo »

Letholdus looks ahead towards the settlement to see if any of the inhabitants are out about their work.

"if we're lucky, this will be a trading or market town and they'll have an inn. Or better yet, and inn and tavern. A bed and a drink would be most welcome. Though I'd settle for the bed, if I had to choose."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rukellian »

"...and before I knew it, the stickiness covered the walls, the floors, even the Nana's fine knick knacks! Mr. Crinklekin came in after hearing the explosion and he was like, 'RUKEN, what in the blazes are you up to now!' I was already snickering away as he stepped into a goopy pile of the honey. "It 'sploded Mr. Crink, heeheehee, ALL OVER THE PLACE!" It sure did he said with wry smile on his face as he lifted his foot, a web of honey now stretched out underneath. 'Tell me Rukey boy, how long does it take for honey to be cleaned up... a few hours, maybe a day? When do think Nana will be coming back, hmm? Those knick knacks of hers, her favorites, they seem AWEFULLY sticky to me....' He got me for sure then, that tricky Mr. Crink. He knew how things worked. What I did next really was genius though, the thing was I-"

Ruken stopped talking for a moment as the tops of buildings started to appear just over the trail ahead, catching his interest greatly. "Oh ooooh, look" he stammered in excitement, "there's a hamlet just over yonder. I wonder if they have any honey to sample..."
Todd Spengo wrote:Letholdus looks ahead towards the settlement to see if any of the inhabitants are out about their work.

"if we're lucky, this will be a trading or market town and they'll have an inn. Or better yet, and inn and tavern. A bed and a drink would be most welcome. Though I'd settle for the bed, if I had to choose."
Ruken Honeybeard's face beams with even more excitement as he hear's Letholdus make mention of the possibility of trading and markets, a place that Ruken is always fascinated by, no matter where he goes!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by wolfpack »

As you near the small hamlet you see some people out and about, however not as much as you would expect.

It is only a week away form the spring equinox and every village great to small tends to have a celebration this time of year, but you see no tale tell signs of decorations, or traveling vendors, or entertainers.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Antman9 »

I look to Ruken and then to the village. "I also am quite tired. Ruken, what do you make of that village up ahead? Seems a bit quiet I should think, for this time of year. This portion of road should have been cleared of foul creatures long ago. Though I suspect the guard stations have long been abandonded. Do you suppose there is foul play about, Letholdus? We should keep our eyes open I think. I was so looking forward to a good pumpkin ale. Perhaps there is still hope." I pat the young Gnome on the back. "Let us see what is amiss. Letholdus, should you take the lead?"
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Todd Spengo »

Letholdus nods and takes the lead.

"Perhaps we should ask news of one of these farmers before entering the hamlet proper."
If he's not wearing it already, Letholdus will spend a moment to don his armor before moving forward.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Antman9 »

Looking to Letholdus "Lead the way sir, we will follow. I shall monitor the rear."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

"Aye, this be no party by my folk, but I still expected more," Ruken says as he furrows one of his brows. He tags along just behind the paladin and keeps an eye out for anything interesting. "Mayhap they all had a little too much whiskey?" The gnomish companion says as he makes a drinking motion.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Todd Spengo »

Letholdus continues towards the village.
He will try to flag down or otherwise intercept the first local he can. Are there any signs of recent violence or turmoil? Burnt homes? Lack of men of fighting age?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by wolfpack »

As you walk on toward the hamlet a smal cart with a couple of small rolls of grain slowly passs you.

You hail the driver, a hagard looking bearded man. he is somewhat gaunt and his cheeks sunken. he brings his cart to a halt and looks at the party.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Antman9 »

Gregorius leans down to Ruken and whispers "Let's let Letholdus do the talking here. We don't want to frighten him."
Gregorius will inspect the cart visually in an attempt to ascertain any physical indicators of health and wealth.
Last edited by Antman9 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Todd Spengo »

Letholdus approaches the driver.

"Hail, sir. We are travelers in search of a bed and a drink. Can you tell us about the hamlet yonder? Is there an inn or tavern perhaps?" He leans in towards the driver and lowers his voice, "Forgive my boldness but, tell me, what troubles this place?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Antman9 »

OOC: Not sure if I should be reading the "spoiler" posts of other characters or not. I'm assuming I should not, and so haven't been doing so???

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rukellian »

Antman9 wrote:Gregorius leans down to Ruken and whispers "Let's let Letholdus do the talking here. We don't want to frighten him."
Ruken nods in understanding as he has gone through this drill countless a time. Using his short stature, he will conceal himself behind someone tall, perhaps move away quickly enough for the driver to notice that he wasn't even there in the first place.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by wolfpack »

Not a big deal to read the spoiler posts.

The cart is simple and well worn, the bundles of grain are rather small.

The man looks towards the hamlet and then back at the handsome young paladin, his bloodshot eyes meets Letholdus's and he see's the young man is earnest in his question. He seems to hesitate and then relents and speaks up.

Yonder hamlet is Stallington, your lot shall find the people friendly enough. Aye there will be beds and some drink if you have coin, however I am afraid your nourishment will be little more than hardtack and watery soup.

the man lets out a grim sigh

Twasn't always thus, by hades just two years ago this time I remeber dancing with Gwennie Halford around the bonfire and drinking dandelion wine.

a small smile cracks his sunken face

but those days are gone for us, what ails yonder hamlet.......

That is not my place to say, you would have to talk to someone on the council. Now if you will excuse me I have to get going.

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Todd Spengo »

Letholdus nods and bids the driver goodday.

He walks back to the others and relates the man's words if they didn't hear them. "Something here is very wrong. This is not unpleasant country. Yet that man's skin was pulling against his bones." Letholdus shakes his head. "The man wouldn't say more than confirm that the village, Stallington, is suffering, but he mentioned a council. Perhaps they would tell us more. There is an inn or some lodging house. But I wouldn't expect much."

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Antman9 »

Gregorius looks from Ruken to Letholdus, then speak with a grim tone in his words "I know that we are bound for Starlorn. But it would be careless of us to pass by, with nothing more than a nod, without a minimum inquiry into what ails this place. It would not set well with me."

Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Todd Spengo »

Antman9 wrote:Gregorius looks from Ruken to Letholdus, then speak with a grim tone in his words "I know that we are bound for Starlorn. But it would be careless of us to pass by, with nothing more than a nod, without a minimum inquiry into what ails this place. It would not set well with me."
Letholdus agrees. "Let us call upon that council.."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by wolfpack »

The party travels down the hard packed dirt road into the Hamlet (map above).

the first two building's you come to are

2. This is an obvious stables you see a few horse being led in and out of a wooden building.

1. A sign in front of the building read The Reaping Harvest.

Return to “Kingdoms and Dungeon Crawls”