(IC 1) The End of the Beginning

dmw71
beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

(IC 1) The End of the Beginning

#1 Post by beniliusbob »

After a disreputable encounter in one of the realm’s less reputable towns, you’ve come into possession of a certain blood-spattered map. If what the map says is true, it will lead you to the forgotten ruins of a long-dead warrior cult—and all the riches they left behind.

Map in hand, you’ve marched south to Jackal Pass, daydreaming all the while of glittering gold and fabulous jewels. At the southern end of the pass, a dolomite tower with overhanging battlements perches atop a craggy hill and watches the rocky desert beyond. The less creative locals call this lonely fort “the Nail.”

You’ve gained admittance past the first gate and into the fort’s outer ward: a dusty village smelling of curry and weapon oil, where tax agents argue with merchants and smiths sweat over battered mail. Now you sit around a table at the village’s only tavern: a cool, dim room they call The Oasis. It offers northern ales, southern wines, and whispered rumours—all of equally suspect quality.

Figuring the distances and geography, it seems the ruins are a mere half-day's march from the Nail. Huddling closer, you examine your map and plan your next moves…

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (IC 1) The End of the Beginning

#2 Post by Rex »

Squish

"Interesting that it is this close, and probably good too. So what supplies will we need?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Margush

The large and unattractive half-orc woman still isn’t sure if she trusts the goblin with the group, but she is almost broke, and armor, weapons, and food is never free.

She looks over their tattered map for the twentieth time, trying to place where any features might be from the areas already known to her. She looks for any indications of travel from the direction of The Nail, holding the parchment up to the light to see if there are any secrets to be learned between the writing.

“If this area is truly only a half days march away, that almost sounds too good to be true. But I want to investigate it all the same. I think we will need enough rations, light sources a plenty, and of course some courage, if there is any to be had in these parts. I currently possess all three, but we should all be fully prepared before we set out.”

She looks around the establishment for anyone she may have met in the past, otherwise seeking out the person in the Oasis who looks the most trustworthy she might confer with about these rumors.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

Elwyn

The elf nurses his cheap wine, wondering how he ended up in a group with a very flimsy looking goblin, a half-orc brute, and a singing dwarf. "oh, well, it takes all sorts, and it'll be worth it when we find the treasure." he thinks to himself.

"I have food, rope and a grappling hook, and even a flint and steel, but I'm a little low of actual light sources." he muses.
Last edited by shaidar on Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Squish

"I have some coin for supplies."

29gp 7sp to be exact. The primary reason I am running Squish.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

"Harrum... I also have sufficient food but could carry more torches. I regret that my travels have left me unable to purchase them..." He trails off, clearing his throat, flushing red under his beard. But if I were flush with funds, why would I be here at all? he thinks. "It is good you have a rope and grapple. I also have a flint and steel. A good delve relies more on our wits and wisdom than on these... have you heard the Tale of Morlo the Muddy? There is much that can be done with brave hearts and small means..."

He has four more gear slots, but ran out of funds. He has two torches.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by beniliusbob »

Scrutinizing the faded lines of the old map, Margush notices the location of the Nail has been inked in a more modern hand. A worn icon of arcaded columns, marked "The Citadel," has been circled by the same quill. The map seems to depict gulleys or canyons in the vicinity of The Citadel, as well as faint blue lines—perhaps marking the course of an old river, though the wasteland beyond the fort is known to be dry as bones these days.

"By the gods! That scrap of paper looks older than my granddad!" the serving woman says as she comes round. When Margush questions her about the map, she nods knowingly. "Aye, the Citadel of the Scarlet Minotaur. I wouldn't go there for all the Satrap's jewels!" She leans closer and whispers, "It's full of hidden rooms and passageways, they say, where the monsters that live there drag people off to eat them!"

The day grows long beyond the windows of the tavern, and the barkeep lights oil lamps to stave off the shadows. The door to The Oasis swings open again and again as more patrons, both locals and travelers, begin to arrive, and the tavern is soon heady with conversation.

At the sight of Squish stacking his coins and the muttered debates of Elwyn and Naugrim, a broad-shouldered woman in a leather apron leans across from the next table over. "Looking to spend that coin, goblin? I've the finest blades and strongest mail at my forge. No enemy will spare you a second glance if you're bearing my armaments—they'll be too busy running away!"

"No, no, no," chuckles a tall, mustachioed man on the other side. "I most clearly heard these fair travelers' need for a lantern! After all, how can you swing a sword if you can't see? Visit my general store, friends, and all your wishes will be seen to!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Squish

"How much for mail armor?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Margush appears unaccustomed to the shopkeepers peddling their wares so energetically.

“Yes, I am guessing we will all become very well acquainted with your shops here eventually.”

“Say, do either of you two know anything about a place called the Citadel of the Scarlet Minotaur?”

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Storyteller Naugrim
Elwyn wrote:... and a singing dwarf
"I am a taleteller, a chronicler, a scholar of the great histories," disassembles the locquatious dwarf, dispelling any assertion that me might be a foppish singer. "I am as like to rouse a song in my cups any other of my kin, of course, but my profession is... well, utterly respectable." He harums and straightens his beard with his fingers.

OOC clarification:

We are at an unnamed fort, which is our home base.

We've marched "to" Jackal Pass, but not through it, as we're a half-day march from the Nail, which is at the south-end of the Pass. So our adventure begins going a half-day THROUGH Jackal Pass, to the Nail.

I am unclear if the Nail and the Citadel of the Scarlet Minotaur are the same place? The map notes the Citadel in an older hand, while a newer hand inked in The Nail and circled the location of the Citadel, which perhaps implies they are different places?

There are canyons and gullys marked on the map near the Citadel, though the area is known to be dry now, but these canyons are different than the Jackal Pass, which is near the Nail.

I'm trying to get the right visual image - and which place is the intended adventure delve?

His eyes sparkling with interest, oddly reminiscent of a pair of faceted emeralds, Naugrim engages the locals elicting them for what they can say about the Nail, the Citadel, Jackal Pass, and what the fort is meant to guard.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by beniliusbob »

At Squish's query, the smith slaps the table and grins. "I've got just the shirt for you! 60 pieces of gold. You'll find no better deal between here and the southlands, I assure you!"

Meanwhile, the general store keeper nods at Margush and twirls his mustache. "Oh, aye, we've heard of the place. You'd not be the first to brave its depths, and I doubt you'd be the last who'd never return. There was an elf that came back from there a few years ago and brought with her a warning: the creatures that dwell in the Citadel are afflicted with a terrible disease. If you come into even the slightest contact with their skin, you'll be transformed into one yourself!" A sly smile slowly spreads across his face. "Apparently, that's what happened to all her friends."
Marullus wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:41 pm
OOC clarification:

We are at an unnamed fort, which is our home base.

We've marched "to" Jackal Pass, but not through it, as we're a half-day march from the Nail, which is at the south-end of the Pass. So our adventure begins going a half-day THROUGH Jackal Pass, to the Nail.

I am unclear if the Nail and the Citadel of the Scarlet Minotaur are the same place? The map notes the Citadel in an older hand, while a newer hand inked in The Nail and circled the location of the Citadel, which perhaps implies they are different places?

There are canyons and gullys marked on the map near the Citadel, though the area is known to be dry now, but these canyons are different than the Jackal Pass, which is near the Nail.

I'm trying to get the right visual image - and which place is the intended adventure delve?
Apologies for the confusion! You are at a fort. The fort is called "the Nail," because the main tower looks like a really big nail. (You are currently in a small village that is in a sort of outer bailey from the main tower.) The Nail is located at the south end of Jackal Pass. The Citadel is a separate place and is the "adventure destination" denoted on the map. According to the map, the Citadel looks to be about a half day's journey from the Nail, out in the wasteland to the south of Jackal Pass. The map depicts canyons or gulleys with rivers in the environs of the Citadel, but it is well known that the wasteland is a desert, and therefore you must assume the map to be quite old.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Squish

"Thanks for the offer but I have no where near 60gp. We will se on my return though."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

Elwyn looks at the mustachioed man

"What time does your shop open, good sir? It seems we should pay you a visit before we leave this place."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#14 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Margush feigns excitement to further her attempt at information.

“This elf you speak of, do you know if she’s still around these parts? Could I speak with her at some point?”

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by beniliusbob »

The mustachioed merchant performs a half bow towards Elwyn. "Please, call me Jafiyi! My doors open for business at sunrise." He throws a glance at the smith. "That is... assuming my good friend Hamiya does not convince me to indulge in one too many malty beverages this evening!" The smith laughs in reply and raises her mug in salute.

When Margush asks about the elf, Jafiyi looks over and shrugs. "She left our fair little fort long ago, never to return."

"The elf is gone," says Hamiya the smith, "but there's that old soldier... Tusta, is that his name? He used to be an adventurer like you lot, before he was wounded poking around that damned Citadel. They give him gentle duties with the quartermaster, now. He might have more information for you, if you seek him out. He works in the Nail proper, though they'll never let you in after sunset."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Naugrim nods solemnly to Hamiya. "Ahh yes. I have known many adventurers who had to retire, an arrow to the knee. I will seek to hear Tusta's Tale."

(Up to the group if we seek more info from Tusta or the nail before departing, or just head out with the dawn. We probably need more light sources with Squish's coin, but anything else?)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

Elwyn

"We could be up at dawn, some could go seeking this Tusta while the others go shopping for the group."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Squish

"That is a good plan. Maybe on the trail for noon at the latest."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#19 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Margush agrees as well.

“We should shop early and head out as soon as we are ready. The sooner we find this place, the more daylight we will have to set up a defensible camp on our first night.”

“I will aid Naugrim in speaking with this Tusta at first light, if a few others will see to our final equipment needs?”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Squish

"I can help with the supplies."

Return to “Into the Shadowdark (Shadowdark)”