Game Mechanics OOC

Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Game Mechanics OOC

#1 Post by Leitz »

Our Campaign ID is 1011.

Since I am new to Fate, I'd like the rest of you to help keep me on track. The game should be fun for you, and run at a medium pace. Discuss rules questions, things I mess up, etc, here.

The soft start is now, and we can talk about whatever you need so that you can get into things. I'll be adding setting notes and stuff all week, and ask that you work on your intercharacter scenes as soon as you can.

The first full "In game" post will probably be shortly, but the full start will be the evening of Wednesday, 1 Feb 2023. I will be posting DM "Move Forward" posts on Sunday and Wednesday, and will answer questions and such daily. If a player is unable to post, we will still move forward, and the PC will be kept present and mostly safe. We all, well, you all, have lives, and gaming should be a joy, not a stressor.

Please participate, either IC or OOC, so that the characters work together. In other games, the fighter fights, the wizard wizzes, and there's usually little overlap. A key theme of Fate is collaboration. In this game, we assume the characters know each other's nationality, general skill strengths and weaknesses, and basic background. What you share beyond that is up to you, but the more we can intertwine the character's stories, the more fun the game will be.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game Mechanics OOC

#2 Post by shaidar »

I was going to have Louis own a matching pair of inlaid flintlock pistols.

I'm assuming that we have to spend some kind of 'action' loading such a pistol before it can be fired?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

For the first shot, not really. You're skilled adventurers, and can keep your pistols loaded and ready. The flintlock usually has a "half-cock", and it is easy to pull the hammer back and then fire. We're assuming you're "ready for trouble" and have powder in the pan.

Reloading, of course, is an entirely different matter. :lol: The general answer on reloading and riding is "no". That's why German Reiters carried two pistols; they would charge, fire, ride back behind their line, and reload while sitting still.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by shaidar »

8-)

I went and did some research and found this page on flintlocks useful and learned they were far more complicated and advanced than I thought.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/flintlock2.htm

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Nice resource. I am pretty knowledgeable on firearms (including flintlocks) and know Leitz is as well so if you have any questions on something ask away.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by jemmus »

Before I start rolling for the IC thread I want to finalize my PC's skills list. He writes poetry and plays stringed instruments. I probably need to change a skill to reflect that. Could I use the Will skill for that? Or maybe Lore or Empathy? Crafts?

Also, I revised the character sheet. For RP integrity, as a former soldier I think Kerecsen needs to have Physique. I switched Provoke for that.

Athletics
Burglary
Contacts
Crafts
Decieve
Drive/Ride
Empathy
Fight
Investigate
Lore
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Resources
Shoot
Stealth
Will
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Leitz »

I'd say Rapport, and if you wanted to be even better, add a "Bardic Excellence" stunt that would cover both.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by jemmus »

Kerecsen ended up with a total of 4 on a Ride roll. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 59#p645359 Does he get Fate points for that?
PCs

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm Kerecsen ended up with a total of 4 on a Ride roll. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 59#p645359 Does he get Fate points for that?
Succeeding with Style at three over the required gives you a Boost; a very short lived Aspect related to what you just did. The boost can be used once and then goes away. Keep that in mind as you plan you next few actions.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Leitz »

Also, I will be slow to respond today; hurt my back and can't sit at the computer or focus much at all.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

That stinks, I hope you feel better soon.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Take care of yourself Leitz. Back injuries are no fun at all.
PCs

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Could the game mechanics and resource posts from the Simulator thread migrate over here for ease of reference?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by shaidar »

jemmus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:40 am Take care of yourself Leitz. Back injuries are no fun at all.
Ditto from me. You have to give them proper time to heal or they'll give you gip for the rest of your life!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:48 pm Could the game mechanics and resource posts from the Simulator thread migrate over here for ease of reference?
I can take care of that in a bit.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

I just realized that I responded to an announcement about your back making it difficult to sit on front of a computer by asking for you to do some digital housekeeping. Shame on me.

Take care of yourself, L! We aren't going anywhere!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:13 pm I just realized that I responded to an announcement about your back making it difficult to sit on front of a computer by asking for you to do some digital housekeeping. Shame on me.

Take care of yourself, L! We aren't going anywhere!
:SAN: No worries!

I think I got everything, and the relevant things are now sticky-d up to the top.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Leitz »

Thank you all for playing, I enjoyed learning the system. What did you think of the mechanics, and the game presentation?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Thanks for a great game Leitz!

Here are my thoughts on Fate. You did a great job of managing a game with a set of rules that work fine at the table but I feel are hindered in PBP. The rules require lots of interaction at the table between players, not just role play but roll play, which is difficult in PBP. It might flow better if everyone was very familiar with the system but even I, who had the most experience with the system tended to miss working off other characters. It is just easier when they are sitting next to you. But I think you did an execellent job of managing it and like my HarnMaster game just requires more OOC text to get it to work. I would join another of your games without hesitation, no matter the system.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by shaidar »

I had a fun time, thanks Leitz.

I'm sure I didn't quite get everything rules wise, but that's not a negative in you Leitz, or the other players.

It sounds like a fun system, once you unlearn other RPG habits. As Rex has already said, it doesn't really seem to work well with the pbp format, but I can easily imagine it would be much better for a FTF game.

Thanks everyone!

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”