Harborside Hospital - Sanctuary of the Dead

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Harborside Hospital - Sanctuary of the Dead

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Having loaded up nearly everything they can carry, Ambergris, Lesh, and Scalm leave Willow's place, descend the stairs, and hit the streets...on their way toward Harborside Hospital.
"Wish we had more people," Scalm comments off-handedly, glancing around the streets. "What happened to the Tabaxi? Did he survive the bathhouse?"
She falls silent as the trio continue on. Every now and then a patrol of the Fist rush by them, some coming toward them, while others rush past, presumably headed for the same destination. The streets are crowded and there is a general buzz among the populace of unrest and uneasiness. The smell of fear grows more palpable as the turn down the street toward the hospital. In the distance, they see curls of smoke rising into the morning foggy air, and despite the rain, the smoke continues to ascend...as if a bonfire blazes that cannot be extinguished.
The first sight of the hospital proper stops Lesh in his tracks. He makes the familiar "ka-ka" sound in his throat, but it is not difficult to know he is just as confused as the rest of the trio.
The hospital is overshadowed by a cloud of foggy smoke which rises from its burned out steeple. Some of the side buildings are burned as well, and the smell of char is heavy in the air. There are no less than 20 members of the Flaming Fist standing nearby. Many of the younger members look pale and terrified, while older members have faces of grim determination.
Several glance to the side as the trio approach, watching them for a few seconds before returning their gaze to the front of the hospital. Following their gaze, Scalm gasps aloud and you feel your stomach churn when you see what they have been viewing since the break of day.

hanged man.JPG
hanged man.JPG (252.74 KiB) Viewed 832 times
A half a dozen men and women are hanging from crude scaffolds in the front of the hospital. All are swaying in the breeze off the river, all wrapped in blood-stained shrouds. "What in the name of all that's holy..." Scalm breathes, her hand clasped over her mouth.
"Nothing holy about that, lady," one of the members of the Fist says gruffly. "It's the unholy work of dead gods and the twisted wretches who serve them. And I wish that were our only worry."
The man nods at one of the other members of the Flaming Fist, who shoulders a crossbow and fires a bolt directly into one of the swaying corpses. The bolt strikes home and the "corpse" shrieks and begins to thrash in its bonds...and this sets all of the "corpses" to snarling and thrashing about. "Them fuckers are somehow alive," the man says to the trio of newcomers.
"So...have ya come to gawk or to help?"
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Harborside Hospital - Sanctuary of the Dead

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"We have to come to help this priest. He is a servant to the Hospital Fathers. Though I am not sure what we can do directly.

Is the building and grounds secure? I presume you have ring fenced it to stop undead getting out.
Are there people inside in need of rescue?"

There would be a dozen questions, all asked at once. Basically he wants a status report and what action the Fist are taking.
most-adventuresome
Squire
Squire

#3 Post by most-adventuresome »

OOC: Hey, it's Fred. Am I on the right message board? This is my first time doing play-by-post.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by hedgeknight »

most-adventuresome wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:44 am OOC: Hey, it's Fred. Am I on the right message board? This is my first time doing play-by-post.
You are indeed, sir! Feel free to reply when necessary; you may also copy and paste your post in the OOC thread ;)
Spearmint wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:08 pm Ambergris speaks up:
"We have to come to help this priest. He is a servant to the Hospital Fathers. Though I am not sure what we can do directly.
Is the building and grounds secure? I presume you have ring fenced it to stop undead getting out.
Are there people inside in need of rescue?"
One of the Flaming Fist members of rank gives the aged sea captain, the lizard man, and the Tiefling a once-over, sniffs loudly, and says, "My men have positions on all four sides of the hospital. We've word to the Upper City Watch for assistance, but I'm not expecting any. They don't give three shits about Lower City folk. My men are battered from last night's turf war; lost some good soldiers to those fragging crews! When we take care of this mess, I aim to settle some scores.
"No undead have come out, and no one has gone inside...and come back out. A few extra hands are welcome. Any of you a priest?"

FlamingFistMerc.jpg
FlamingFistMerc.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Winter is coming...
most-adventuresome
Squire
Squire

#5 Post by most-adventuresome »

Ortran. *** clears throat loudly *** So you need a priest, you say? Then I may be of some use to you. May I presume you and your men need the usual patching up after a melee? Or are your needs more dire?

Ortran can use the Spare the Dying cantrip on anyone in urgent need of stabilization. Otherwise, he has Cure Light Wounds [4 slots available]. He also has Lesser Restoration [2 slots available]. He's willing to use 2 slots of Cure Light Wounds out of the goodness of his heart, but for any greater demands, he asks the Flaming Fist (the one who just spoke) to please explain what's just gone down here, who their enemy is, and what further actions they expect to take this day.

His curiosity was piqued at the 'aim to settle some scores' comment, as he is currently unemployed and looking for some adventure.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Notes the presence of a second priest. Does he know Lesh? Of the same faith?

The hook-handed seaman responds.

"My comrade here served in this place, a devout Hospitaler. The evil seems to leak from the sewers, creatures of undeath spewed forth at the command of cultists. Upper City nobles no less. Yes, they curse us common folk with their snottery and disdain. God helps those who help themselves. We should not expect deliverance from those who shelter behind gated walls."

He gestures to the lizardman and curses the root cause of the evil, at least the richer noble lords though he does not name the Mortlock family directly.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:31 pm Ambergris
Notes the presence of a second priest. Does he know Lesh? Of the same faith?
Thanks for the reminder > Yes, Ortran and Lesh have seen each other in passing, may have even spoken on occasion while visiting Harborside Hospital. Tell, please post accordingly ;)
Winter is coming...
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by hedgeknight »

A few extra hands are welcome. Any of you a priest?

A newcomer speaks up, a priest wearing the vestments of Lathander the Morning Lord. May I presume you and your men need the usual patching up after a melee? Or are your needs more dire? he asks.
The Flaming Fist officer (known as a Manip) shakes his head. "This city is going to hell in a hand basket. My men are stretched thin and with little rest after we put down a neighborhood rumble last night...only to find the most welcoming place of solace in the city infested with the walking dead. Our needs...well, we still believe there to be survivors inside. So, we are planning a coordinated attack from four different angles. You new folk are most welcome to accompany one of those."

Lesh is quiet, but Ambergris speaks his mind about the possible source of this evil and how they can expect no assistance from the Upper City. Several of the members of the Fist raise their eyebrows in surprise, but the Manip grunts and nods. "I've served the Fist most of my life and I agree, Captain. We're on our own. So, what say we cleanse this place?"
Winter is coming...
most-adventuresome
Squire
Squire

#9 Post by most-adventuresome »

After hearing:
God helps those who help themselves. We should not expect deliverance from those who shelter behind gated walls.
Ortran says, Well said. May I introduce myself? And he introduces himself to Ambergris.

In response to:
So, we are planning a coordinated attack from four different angles. You new folk are most welcome to accompany one of those.
Ortran says Very well. Direct me to one of the four branches were you think I can best help. And to Lesh, What do you say, Brother Lesh? Are you up for a little cleansing? No soap and water, just a little steel and magic. ;)
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Would there be any kind of hospital blueprint so we could study entrances, rooms and stuff like that? Be better knowing where we are and which rooms are key.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by hedgeknight »

most-adventuresome wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:04 pm After hearing:
God helps those who help themselves. We should not expect deliverance from those who shelter behind gated walls.
Ortran says, Well said. May I introduce myself? And he introduces himself to Ambergris.
If you will, give a rough description of what Ortran looks like > armor, weapons, hair, etc. If you have a pic, all the better. ;)
Spearmint wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:28 pm Ambergris
Would there be any kind of hospital blueprint so we could study entrances, rooms and stuff like that? Be better knowing where we are and which rooms are key.
If you're asking that of the Flaming Fist officer, they have no such plans.
Lesh and/or Ortran knows the general layout, having visited there quite a few times. There is an entry foyer will doors on both sides and in the front. The side doors lead to offices, and the main door opens onto a large, long hallway with different rooms branching off of that for treatments and such. At the end of the hall, stairs descent to the basement. There are side doors stemming from different offices; the one on the left (if you are facing the front door of the hospital) opens out into a small garden area. The one on the right is hidden from the naked eye.
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Well we recruit the new priest to our little group.
He also asks Manip, "We have a few skills to help address this dire need but lack sword arms. Could you second a guard or two to accompany our foray."

Cannon fodder always helps.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:21 pm Ambergris asks Manip, "We have a few skills to help address this dire need but lack sword arms. Could you second a guard or two to accompany our foray."
The Manip gives the aged sea captain a once over, glances at his companions - a lizard man and a tiefling - and gives a curt nod. "Indeed. Bobb! Keever! You're with the captain and the...erm...others. Provide support and keep safe. Alright men, move out."
The two members of the Fist, Bobb and Keever, move to the front door and with only a few seconds of hesitation, kick the door open. A foyer lies beyond...dark and showing no signs of the living or the dead. A set of double doors is about 10 feet away.
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Moves to the next double doors. Any keyhole he can spy through? He prepares his stuff in anticipation of zombies beyond.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by hedgeknight »

There is no keyhole, but one of the doors is slightly ajar, and through the gap Ambergris can see a long hallway with rooms on both sides; some doors are closed, the others open. The hallway is smeared with blood and gore. About twenty feet away, two zombies are on their knees eating someone! Both zombies were white, tattered gowns; likely they were patients before they were animated.
Somewhere down the hallway, he thinks he hears the sound of crying.
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

apologies, I thought I had posted.

Ambergris shrugs, "Lets get to it then." he says a opens the door.

Ambergris to hit melee two handed spear [1d20+3]=6+3=9 damage [1d8+3]=2+3=5

His charge at the zombies is a bit awry though.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:18 pm apologies, I thought I had posted.
No worries man; looks like it might be just you and I on this one... :?

Ambergris shrugs, "Lets get to it then."
Unsure of what Lesh and the new cleric, Ortran, are going to do, the aged captain pushes open the door and charges!
Naturally slow and even more so when they are feeding, the two zombies don't realize what's happening until Ambergris is upon them. He jabs one through the ribs and the creature snarls as it drops a handful of guts and stands up.
(Their AC is only an 8, so you hit!)

Gross zombie eating:
The two members of the Flaming Fist are close on the heels of Ambergris, Keever swinging his sword but hitting nothing, while Bobb brings an axe to bear on the zombie Ambergris stabbed, but doing nothing much other than shredding the lab coat the zombie is wearing.
The first zombie stands and reaches for Ambergris, almost grabbing the salty sea captain. The second zombie lurches to its feet and rakes its filthy nails down the side of Keever's face and neck! The young guard screams and staggers back...the scream echoing down the long gore-strewn hallway.

Actions!

Stats:
Bobb - AC 16, HP 11, +3 to hit
Keever - AC 16, HP 5/11, +3 to hit
Zombie 1 - down 5
Zombie 2 -

Rolls:
Flaming Fist: [1d20+2]=4+2=6 [1d8+2]=1+2=3
Flaming Fist: [1d20+3]=1+3=4 [1d8+3]=7+3=10
Zombie attack: [1d20+3]=9+3=12 [1d6+1]=5+1=6
Zombie attack: [1d20+3]=14+3=17 [1d6+1]=3+1=4
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Ambergris cast his pact weapon: Entangling Net [1d20+4]=20+4=24 spear thrust [1d20+3]=6+3=9 [1d6+3]=1+3=4

Having gained experience he can summon a weapon moulded to his Warlock covenant with the 'Great Old One', and a net, weighted with hooks as a fisherman's might be, throws it over the zombie in melee with him. His follow up thrust stabs the entangled creature.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by hedgeknight »

Keever's screams die down as Ambergris exercises his covenant with the Night Serpent, flinging his barbed net over the zombie whose goal is to eat him. The net weighs down the undead creature allowing Ambergris to ram it with his spear...and still the zombie tries to get at the aging sea captain.
Bobb is not having any of that! With a growl, he runs his sword through the side of the entangled zombie's head, killing it...again!
Keever hacks the other zombie, but is unable to really get any leverage, seeing as it is in his face...and it grabs his arm and pulls him into an embrace, where it tries to sink its blackened teeth into the guard's neck!
"Bobb! I can't hold 'im off! Help me!" Keever shrieks, twisting and turning, trying to avoid death.
"Keever!" Bobb yells, halfway turning to Lesh and Ortran. "Don't just stand there! Fucking do something!"

Down the hallway, doors open, and the walking dead stagger out, drawn by the screams and the smell of fresh blood.

Stats:
Bobb - AC 16, HP 11, +3 to hit
Keever - AC 16, HP 5/11, +3 to hit
Zombie 1 - dead
Zombie 2 -
Winter is coming...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Ambergris to hit melee two handed spear [1d20+3]=6+3=9 damage [1d8+3]=4+3=7

Stabs as the still surviving undead zombie.

"Ah, just like boarding actions of old. They don't like it up and at em'.

Ortan heal the guard, we need every man on his feet. Scalm, clear the hallway. Guards form up beside me. Lesh lead the way, through the hall or up the stairs."

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”