[004] Arriving at Birach Highport

joertexas
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [004] Arriving at Birach Highport

#81 Post by shaidar »

Anne

Seeing the look on Juliette's face almost breaks Anne, but she takes a deep breath, and does her best to regain her composure.

"Yes, let's sort this out, in private"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by joertexas »

Pike leads everyone to a grav taxi, where he loads the luggage and ushers everyone into a seat. When everyone is settled, the taxi makes its way to a building near the Downport. Pike leads the way inside to a large apartment on the building's seventy-first floor.

The apartment is roomy and well-appointed, and Pike directs everyone to the living area, which adjoins the dining room. Harmon and Meliana settle into one loveseat, while Pike and Anne take the couch. Juliette plops into a chair, and glares at all comers. "Would someone mind explaining this to me?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by shaidar »

Anne manages to avoid bursting into tears on the journey. She settles on the couch.

She sighs "This isn't how I wanted this to happen" she turns to Rob "Do you want to...?"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm Anne manages to avoid bursting into tears on the journey. She settles on the couch.

She sighs "This isn't how I wanted this to happen" she turns to Rob "Do you want to...?"
Rob sighs. "Harmon, maybe you should start. Why are we here?"

Harmon sighs and nods. "I met Lila, Anne now, I suppose, but she was Lila then, while we were in school. I was at a friend's house, and he was having a party. She came up to me and wanted to dance, so I did. One thing led to another, and, well, uh, I found out later she was pregnant. A classmate of ours volunteered at the clinic, and she took a blood sample from me. As you know, prenatal care includes a lot of testing. It was illegal, of course, but she told me that I was a father. I don't know why she did that; I didn't ask her about it."

"I tried to contact you,"
he shifted his gaze to Anne, "but then I saw that Rob was involved, so I backed off. I went on, and I got married a few years later. My wife died ten years ago, so it's just been me and Meliana since then. I ran into Rob when he and I transferred here at the same time. I kept quiet about this whole thing, until I saw Anne and Juliette on the news feed. I told Meliana, and I jumped at the chance when Rob mentioned he was meeting his daughter at the Downport today."

He sighs. "I guess that was the wrong thing to do."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by shaidar »

Anne shakes her head

"Once my parents found out I was pregnant they shipped me off to a private clinic to hide the scandal. It took Rob months to find me."

Anne looks over towards Julliette

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this and I understand that you probably hate me right now. Although it broke my heart to give you away, I knew that Rob would give a better life than I could"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 pm Anne shakes her head

"Once my parents found out I was pregnant they shipped me off to a private clinic to hide the scandal. It took Rob months to find me."

Anne looks over towards Julliette

"I'm sorry you had to find out like this and I understand that you probably hate me right now. Although it broke my heart to give you away, I knew that Rob would give a better life than I could"
Juliette sits back and looks at each of the three adults in turn. "No, I don't hate you, Anne. It answers a couple of questions I've had, though. One is why I seem to look so much like you, and the other is why my dad likes you so much." She looks to Harmon and his daughter. "Your timing could have been better, but I understand why you'd take the chance. I hope you don't expect me to call you Father. I have a father."

Harmon nods. "Of course. I just wanted to meet you, that's all. You don't have to see me ever again."

"I think that's more up to Anne and Dad than me." Juliette stands up. "Meliana, would you like to go to the building's café with me for a while? I think our parents need some alone time without our young ears around." Meliana practically jumps to her feet, and they leave the apartment.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by shaidar »

Anne looks at Harmon

"Harmon, please don't take this as callous or cold, but I don't remember you. My mental state back then...a lot of it is just a blur and let's just say that you weren't the only boy I slept with around that time. It's not something I'm proud of. Up 'till now I had no idea who Juliette's biological father was."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:37 pm Anne looks at Harmon

"Harmon, please don't take this as callous or cold, but I don't remember you. My mental state back then...a lot of it is just a blur and let's just say that you weren't the only boy I slept around that time. It's not something I'm proud of. Up 'till now I had no idea who Juliette's biological father was."
Harmon nods again. "I understand. Mel and I have been alone since her mother died, and I guess I thought it'd be nice to have some family around." He shrugs. "It was a spur of the moment decision. From the bottom of my heart, I meant no harm."

Pike sighs. "Look, I know Harmon passed a security clearance, and, other than popping up uninvited, he seems like a normal guy who dotes on his only daughter. He has an excellent reputation at his job, and his employees respect him."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by shaidar »

Anne

"I'm sorry for my initial reaction. I've allied myself with the Comte de Foix, and his enemies here on Birach have already started to make moves to attack his reputation and that of his retinue. I thought perhaps this was another attempt. Juliette needs to know who she is related to, who I was. She could end up in the proverbial firing line if they found out. Harmon, if you want to see more of Juliette then I have no issue with that, but since I've not been her family for the last 24 years I don't think I have a right to a say anyway."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm Anne

"I'm sorry for my initial reaction. I've allied myself with the Comte de Foix, and his enemies here on Birach have already started to make moves to attack his reputation and that of his retinue. I thought perhaps this was another attempt. Juliette needs to know who she is related to, who I was. She could end up in the proverbial firing line if they found out. Harmon, if you want to see more of Juliette then I have no issue with that, but since I've not been her family for the last 24 years I don't think I have a right to a say anyway."
"I'm just grateful to see her as a successful adult," Harmon says. "That is enough for me. If we can be friends, then that's a huge win." He shakes his head. "I'm sorry, I use that term with my people a lot. I can tell you, I'm not about to say a word about this, and I'll warn my daughter about it, too. We don't want to cause trouble, and we especially don't want trouble with House Foix. They're a big customer, and my superiors won't thank me if I cause problems."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by shaidar »

Anne smiles at Harmon "Thank you", she then turns to Rob "And you have done a wonderful job bringing up your daughter, you must be very proud of her"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:15 am Anne smiles at Harmon "Thank you", she then turns to Rob "And you have done a wonderful job bringing up your daughter, you must be very proud of her"
The conversation continues for the next hour, with the fathers talking about their children. Rob says that he's missed Juliette in the year that he's been away, and he's grateful to Anne for bringing her here. Harmon says that he hopes to see Juliette while she's here. Then, the girls arrive back at the apartment, and the energy level rises in the room. They have obviously hit it off, with Meliana referring to Juliette as her sister during the conversation.

Rob prepares a late dinner using the local seafood, which is excellent.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by shaidar »

Anne

With the situation under control and nobody seriously injured (physically or emotionally), Anne starts to relax and enjoy the food and company.

Once the meal is over she looks around the table and sighs

"Rob, that was lovely, and I really don't want to spoil the mood, but there is something that Julliette needs to know...Julliette, you know first hand the situation on Birach with regards to the Comte. His enemies are trying to distract him or smear his reputation, you found the faked video of Lady Vee. What you don't know is that this could possibly affect you as well. My birth name is Lilandra Anne Foix, my father is one of the Comte's many second cousins. I left my family as they only wanted to use me as a political pawn, to marry me off to whatever family would help to increase their power and influence. That's why I spent most of my teenage years seeking escape in alcohol and drugs. Your father helped me with my new identity, but if someone looks very hard they might uncover the truth, and that video of us that Harmon saw, we do rather look alike."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm Anne

With the situation under control and nobody seriously injured (physically or emotionally), Anne starts to relax and enjoy the food and company.

Once the meal is over she looks around the table and sighs

"Rob, that was lovely, and I really don't want to spoil the mood, but there is something that Julliette needs to know...Julliette, you know first hand the situation on Birach with regards to the Comte. His enemies are trying to distract him or smear his reputation, you found the faked video of Lady Vee. What you don't know is that this could possibly affect you as well. My birth name is Lilandra Anne Foix, my father is one of the Comte's many second cousins. I left my family as they only wanted to use me as a political pawn, to marry me off to whatever family would help to increase their power and influence. That's why I spent most of my teenage years seeking escape in alcohol and drugs. Your father helped me with my new identity, but if someone looks very hard they might uncover the truth, and that video of us that Harmon saw, we do rather look alike."
Juliette nods as Anne finishes speaking. "I'm old enough now that it shouldn't matter. This explains a lot of things, and I understand why it all happened. To be honest, I'm still not happy about having the truth hidden from me. There were times in my life where I really needed my mother, and I thought I didn't have her. I'm planning to stay here in Birach for the foreseeable future, as I've told Milly." She smiles at her half-sister. "I'm not angry with either of you, but this will take me some time to assimilate it."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by shaidar »

Anne looks at Juliette and then down at the floor

"At the time it seemed the only way to protect you...but 24 years is too long. Perhaps I was running from myself as much as anything. I am grateful for your understanding, and I am sorry for the pain I caused you, and the whole I left in your life. I will always regret that."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 pm Anne looks at Juliette and then down at the floor

"At the time it seemed the only way to protect you...but 24 years is too long. Perhaps I was running from myself as much as anything. I am grateful for your understanding, and I am sorry for the pain I caused you, and the whole I left in your life. I will always regret that."
Juliette stands, and steps over to Anne. She motions for her to stand, and (presuming Anne does) hugs her tightly for a long moment. She steps back with a smile. "I'm happy that my mother is alive and doing well. All things being equal, we have time to work on our relationship. I have a good life, so there is nothing to regret."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by shaidar »

Anne hugs Julliette back, tears streaming down her face, but smiling also.

"Thank you."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by joertexas »

After dinner, Harmon and Meliana say their goodbyes, citing work and school coming the following morning. Juliette steps out to do some shopping in the building's mall, leaving Rob and Anne alone.

"So, what are your plans?" Rob says as he loads the dinner dishes into the dishwasher. "You're welcome to the guest room here, if you'd like it."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by shaidar »

Anne helps with the dishes

"Could I? I'm exhausted...not quite the day I expected. As long as I'm not intruding. I understand if you and Juliette may want some time to yourselves"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:35 pm Anne helps with the dishes

"Could I? I'm exhausted...not quite the day I expected. As long as I'm not intruding. I understand if you and Juliette may want some time to yourselves"
"I suspect that Juliette will be spending a good deal of her time with a certain junior officer," Rob says with a laugh.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “An Honorable Foix (CE Traveller)”