Train to the Stars

ateno
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Train to the Stars

#1 Post by ateno »

Landing Area 3 0901 local

Hiro, arriving earlier pauses to watch a crew of 5 begin to carry our exterior maintenance on his ship. It look like the are going to remove engine fuel scouring first if the huge pile of high pressure water hose in the parked small 'golf cart' is going to be used.

You see a 20 ton launch [see pic] waiting where you were suppose to meet. The main door is open, the generator is on and running lights are lit.

Garett with his large pack of archeology tools ambles towards the launch. You see Hiro break away from looking at what you believe to be his ship and walk towards the launch. To your left is a landing pad for what seems small craft, like grav vehicles and such.

Gunnar you come out wearing all your assigned weapons and gear for a few days. The ship appears ready and you see someone entering, and the archeologist from last night heading towards the ship. You follow him in and you hear the pilot starting his explanation.

"I have the cargo specked out as 8 tons of refined fuel for you, a fueling system and hose for transport of same, 4 vacc suits and some supplies for the time on the ship.

He nods to Gunnar as he enters.

There is not a lot of room for the 4 of you for the trip, but its only about 7 and a half hours.

About this time Dev shows up smiling.

OK, that's four, I am Nerevi your pilot, we are heading there, refueling the ship, I'll make sure you have comms and I'll leave you behind to let you examine the ship. Anything before we take off?"
Attachments
Launch.png
Launch.png (913.87 KiB) Viewed 886 times
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

Re: Train to the Stars

#2 Post by KoboldStew »

"Morning, all," Dev says cheerily, as she climbs on board. She asks for a drink, as she takes a seat by one of the windows, near the front but facing aft. "Anything will do," she suggests, as if she is doing Gunnar a favour.
Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#3 Post by Rhonin84 »

Packing his supplies into the launch and finding a seat. Taking out his laptop he begins a log of this expedition. Noting date and time and names of everyone on the expedition.

Once that’s done encrypt it and put the laptop away...waiting for launch.
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by cybersavant »

Gunnar Thunarssen takes an empty seat and straps in.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by bsongy »

Hiro takes a seat, near the front and far to starboard, where he can watch over the pilots shoulder.

Hiro greets his fellow passengers as he takes his seat. "Good morning. I hope you slept well."

To Dev, Hiro asks "What are you drinking? I have never seen a beverage of that striking blue color before."
:D

Addressing Gunnar and the pilot, Hiro extends his morning greeting to them as well. "All good? No problems?"

Hiro remains quiet, as the craft takes off, not wanting to disturb the pilot at work.

Once the craft appears to be on the way, Hiro asks Gunnar "Have you worked for Octavia Blue very long? Has it been a good position for you?"
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by KoboldStew »

Dev answers Hiro, "To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it's the juice of the same fruit I had with my breakfast. It's not especially sweet, and the taste doesn't linger."

She crosses her legs and sits back.
Last edited by KoboldStew on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by bsongy »

Dev answers Hiro, "To be honest, I'm not sure. I think it's the juice of the same fruit I had with my breakfast. It's not especially sweet, and the taste doesn't linger."

She crosses her legs and sits back.

"Perhaps I should try the juice. Some things, which are now treasured favorites to me, were first encountered as random happenstance." responds Hiro, settling back into his seat.

"Have you travelled much?" he asks Dev, pouring himself a blue beverage.
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by KoboldStew »

"Mmhm," Dev begins. "It's what I do: I am a traveller."

She puts the empty bulb of her drink down, and begins to fan herself until the air conditioning of the shuttle spins up.

"I know the Capitol district better than the New Colonies, but that's mainly due to the better quality of hotels one finds there." She smiles. "But I suspect I have spent time in every highport, more or less, at one point or another. What about you, Captain Watanabe?"
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by cybersavant »

bsongy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:35 pm Hiro takes a seat, near the front and far to starboard, where he can watch over the pilots shoulder.
Once the craft appears to be on the way, Hiro asks Gunnar "Have you worked for Octavia Blue very long? Has it been a good position for you?"
Gunnar Thunarssen looks at the man. "Why would that matter? Smalltalk, or fishing for information?"
gaming since 1980

KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by KoboldStew »

"This is going to be a fun trip!" says Dev to no one in particular.
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ateno »

Nerevi: "OK, I have clearance, we will thruster out and gain altitude and head out.

The pilot appears competent and careful. He preforms a 150 degree turn at a 40 degree incline and steadies out to a directed burn.

"All right, you can unbelt, I would recommend staying in your chair, Ill let you know when we are a hour out so you can get in the provided Vacc Suits.

He points -> One of the kits has a vacc suit emergency kit strapped to it.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by bsongy »

"Mmhm," Dev begins. "It's what I do: I am a traveller."

Hiro chuckles at the obvious answer to his question; he could have done better with how he phrased the question, perhaps.

Dev posted: "I know the Capitol district better than the New Colonies, but that's mainly due to the better quality of hotels one finds there." She smiles. "But I suspect I have spent time in every highport, more or less, at one point or another. What about you, Captain Watanabe?"

"I have travelled widely over the last decades, mostly in the colonies, the few trips to the core worlds short and directed." He sips from his juice, regards the bulb, takes another sip, looks up, then continues. "I have spent a fair amount of time aboard ship, with occasional planetary excursions, but many of these were airless moons, ice asteroids deep in the belts, or frontier bases, like Octavia Blue's. My few excursions to more cultured worlds, I oft found myself dealing with shady merchants in the bad part of town, only rarely seeing the tourist sights or enjoying the luxuries offered. I hope this venture may allow a change in my lifestyle."

Hiro asks Gunnar "Have you worked for Octavia Blue very long? Has it been a good position for you?"
Gunnar Thunarssen looks at the man. "Why would that matter? Smalltalk, or fishing for information?"

Huro raises an eyebrow. "Could it not be both? And what would be the problem with either? But, in truth, the motivation behind my questions was to to show you respect, by offer you an opportunity to join in the conversation, by bringing up topics most people enjoy expounding upon. To treat you as an equal part of today's gathering. I value each soul I meet. If you are uncomfortable in answering my questions, I apologize for my boorishness, I had no intention to make the situation awkward. So, if you wish, speak on any topic, or remain silent if that is your desire."

Hiro gives Dev a mock scolding look.

Nerevi: "OK, I have clearance, we will thruster out and gain altitude and head out.
Later he says, "All right, you can unbelt, I would recommend staying in your chair, Ill let you know when we are a hour out so you can get in the provided Vacc Suits

"Have you been a pilot very long, Nerevi? You are quite competent." Hiro listens attentively to his answer. "Is our destination, where the ship is parked, a planet, gas giant, moon or asteroid in the system? Or something more exotic"

When Nerevi and Hiro have finished their discussion, Hiro turns to Mr Garrett. "Mr Garrett, you mentioned that you are an archeologist, or was it a paleontologist, is that correct? What was your last discovery, then one concerning The Ancients, that you mentions?"
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by cybersavant »

bsongy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 am Hiro asks Gunnar "Have you worked for Octavia Blue very long? Has it been a good position for you?"

Hiro raises an eyebrow. "Could it not be both? And what would be the problem with either? But, in truth, the motivation behind my questions was to to show you respect, by offer you an opportunity to join in the conversation, by bringing up topics most people enjoy expounding upon. To treat you as an equal part of today's gathering. I value each soul I meet. If you are uncomfortable in answering my questions, I apologize for my boorishness, I had no intention to make the situation awkward. So, if you wish, speak on any topic, or remain silent if that is your desire."
Gunnar Thunarssen "It's a nice offer, but I'm not an equal in this venture. And i've no talent for smalltalk. I'm good at action, when that is called for."
gaming since 1980

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ateno »

bsongy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 am
"Have you been a pilot very long, Nerevi? You are quite competent." Hiro listens attentively to his answer. "Is our destination, where the ship is parked, a planet, gas giant, moon or asteroid in the system? Or something more exotic"
"I was promoted to asst pilot about 2 years ago, the chief pilot is, ah..., sick so I got this job. I don't know much about our destination, except its a a asteroid. Must be a problem somehow, because that's about the longest fuel tube we have.

Hiro, you can note thru the window you are just about to break atmosphere.
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by KoboldStew »

"There, Gunnar, you are doing small talk perfectly," says Dev encouragingly. "Indeed, I'll bet you can also help us when we get to the ship. I've never seen a circus transport before; maybe none of us have. Tell us the sort of things you would look for in a ship you were going to work on, maybe live on. Something only you might notice."

See? I'm trying is what her eyes say to Hiro.
Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#16 Post by Rhonin84 »

bsongy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 am "Mmhm," Dev begins. "It's what I do: I am a traveller."

Hiro chuckles at the obvious answer to his question; he could have done better with how he phrased the question, perhaps.

Dev posted: "I know the Capitol district better than the New Colonies, but that's mainly due to the better quality of hotels one finds there." She smiles. "But I suspect I have spent time in every highport, more or less, at one point or another. What about you, Captain Watanabe?"

"I have travelled widely over the last decades, mostly in the colonies, the few trips to the core worlds short and directed." He sips from his juice, regards the bulb, takes another sip, looks up, then continues. "I have spent a fair amount of time aboard ship, with occasional planetary excursions, but many of these were airless moons, ice asteroids deep in the belts, or frontier bases, like Octavia Blue's. My few excursions to more cultured worlds, I oft found myself dealing with shady merchants in the bad part of town, only rarely seeing the tourist sights or enjoying the luxuries offered. I hope this venture may allow a change in my lifestyle."

Hiro asks Gunnar "Have you worked for Octavia Blue very long? Has it been a good position for you?"

Huro raises an eyebrow. "Could it not be both? And what would be the problem with either? But, in truth, the motivation behind my questions was to to show you respect, by offer you an opportunity to join in the conversation, by bringing up topics most people enjoy expounding upon. To treat you as an equal part of today's gathering. I value each soul I meet. If you are uncomfortable in answering my questions, I apologize for my boorishness, I had no intention to make the situation awkward. So, if you wish, speak on any topic, or remain silent if that is your desire."

Hiro gives Dev a mock scolding look.

Later he says, "All right, you can unbelt, I would recommend staying in your chair, Ill let you know when we are a hour out so you can get in the provided Vacc Suits

When Nerevi and Hiro have finished their discussion, Hiro turns to Mr Garrett. "Mr Garrett, you mentioned that you are an archeologist, or was it a paleontologist, is that correct? What was your last discovery, then one concerning The Ancients, that you mentions?"
Turning to face Hiro, While on the planet we just left we were examine skeletal remains of a culture that was quite old but they appeared to have been defaced either in death or after. They had their noses removed or so it seemed. Smiling, I am an archeologist by education and passion, some would consider me just very curious about a good many things though.
bsongy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by bsongy »

Gunnar Thunarssen "It's a nice offer, but I'm not an equal in this venture. And i've no talent for smalltalk. I'm good at action, when that is called for."

"I think each of us determines our own value. You may have far more worth than you give yourself credit for."

"I was promoted to asst pilot about 2 years ago, the chief pilot is, ah..., sick so I got this job. I don't know much about our destination, except its a a asteroid. Must be a problem somehow, because that's about the longest fuel tube we have.

Hiro, you can note thru the window you are just about to break atmosphere.

"A particularly long fuel tube? Curious." responds Hiro. Not wanting to disturb the pilot during this part of the flight, Hiro turns back towards the other passngers.

Dev, while engaging Gunnar in conversation, gives Hiro a look as if to say: See? I'm trying is what her eyes say to Hiro.

Hiro smiles, warmly, genuinely.

Turnning his attention from Dev & Gunnar, Hiro listens to Garrett's response to is questions.

...While on the planet we just left we were examine skeletal remains of a culture that was quite old but they appeared to have been defaced either in death or after. They had their noses removed or so it seemed. Smiling, I am an archeologist by education and passion, some would consider me just very curious about a good many things though.

"Defaced the dead?! As if someone was trying to hide something about their physiology? Or do you think the damage some kind of ritual? Or was it something else?"
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by cybersavant »

KoboldStew wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:28 pm "There, Gunnar, you are doing small talk perfectly," says Dev encouragingly. "Indeed, I'll bet you can also help us when we get to the ship. I've never seen a circus transport before; maybe none of us have. Tell us the sort of things you would look for in a ship you were going to work on, maybe live on. Something only you might notice."

by bsongy » Apr 28th, '21, 19:22
"I think each of us determines our own value. You may have far more worth than you give yourself credit for."

Gunnar Thunarssen

"In the Marines, i was mostly in support, though i did serve a term on the ES Glanzend, a 750 ton destroyer. If my skills prove necessary, then i'm more than happy to help out."
gaming since 1980

Rhonin84
Strider
Strider

#19 Post by Rhonin84 »

"Defaced the dead?! As if someone was trying to hide something about their physiology? Or do you think the damage some kind of ritual? Or was it something else?"
Nodding, "All three of your suggestions are possibilities and the rest of the team once they get back will have to investigate further. My gut is telling me though that something here was being hidden, why the obfuscation is beyond me at the moment."
KoboldStew
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by KoboldStew »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 am Gunnar Thunarssen

"In the Marines, i was mostly in support, though i did serve a term on the ES Glanzend, a 750 ton destroyer. If my skills prove necessary, then i'm more than happy to help out."
"Skills! How wonderful. And you are a marine. Does 'support' mean you are a chef? It would be great to have a chef on board, at least for the return trip." She turns to Hiro, "Do you like pastries, Captain?"

Return to “Koninkrijk - Adventures in a Pocket Empire (Mongoose Traveller)”