Out of Game Chatter

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Out of Game Chatter

#1 Post by Eris »

This is a topic where you can post anything you'd like that is outside of the game action. If you want to talk about the weather (hurricane season where I live), politics (no scratch that!), religion (scratch that, too!), other games, TV shows, or share recipes this is the place to do it. ;)

For posts that are Out of Character (OCC), but are about something happening in the game, post in the appropriate game topic, but please, add OOC to the beginning of your post and use the (ooc) button so no one (me) gets confused.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC: Introductions

#2 Post by Darithe »

Well I will need to be on toes here. You've all been playing since before I was born.

Mr. DM sir: After reading your What we know post, and studying the player's guide, I'm changing my character concept but I need some clarification before I post her. It seems from reading your post that a ranger would be ideal for the adventure, but I see you've limited the warriors to just Fighters. Could I implore you to allow a ranger for my character, if she wouldn't be overpowering? I see her more as Dex focused rather than Strength and I'm already playing a rogue in my other game so I want to go in a differing direction.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC: Introductions

#3 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm Well I will need to be on toes here. You've all been playing since before I was born.

Mr. DM sir: After reading your What we know post, and studying the player's guide, I'm changing my character concept but I need some clarification before I post her. It seems from reading your post that a ranger would be ideal for the adventure, but I see you've limited the warriors to just Fighters. Could I implore you to allow a ranger for my character, if she wouldn't be overpowering? I see her more as Dex focused rather than Strength and I'm already playing a rogue in my other game so I want to go in a differing direction.
I'm not trying to limit players from playing the sort of character they want, however, I would like to avoid character types that aren't really appropriate for the setting and style I have in mind. The Fighter/Cleric/Wizard/Thief and Human/Dwarf/Elf/Halfling was because I know that everyone doesn't have access to the full Player Handbook, but everyone can get the free Basic Start book.

Yes, a Ranger would be both appropriate for the setting and style of the campaign, so if you have access to the write-up, then go for it.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
bobk2323
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Out of Game Chatter

#4 Post by bobk2323 »

I think I'll play a human cleric, loosely based on an old half-elven cleric that I used to run. I'll start genning her sometime today.

Quick Edit: Actually, I think I might have already changed my mind! I'll take a look at the C&C ruleset materials before I make a final decision.
--
Bob K.
--
Bob K.
scott.d.vale
Squire
Squire

#5 Post by scott.d.vale »

Hi, @Eris. Some questions:

For CON as a primary attribute, does the additional +5 apply to HD?

Battleaxe is one-handed in C&C?

I'm not seeing spikes on the equipment list. OK for me to go off list for this? If so, do you have a price, or OK to use OD&D price (12 for 1 gp)?

Is first helm assumed to come with armor or do we need to purchase?
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Eris »

scott.d.vale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 pm Hi, @Eris. Some questions:

For CON as a primary attribute, does the additional +5 apply to HD?

Battleaxe is one-handed in C&C?

I'm not seeing spikes on the equipment list. OK for me to go off list for this? If so, do you have a price, or OK to use OD&D price (12 for 1 gp)?

Is first helm assumed to come with armor or do we need to purchase?
Let's see...

1. no, the +5 doesn't apply to HD (ie. Hit Points :) ) The bonus is for ability and save rolls only, BTW the bonus *would* apply to To Hit rolls (not damage).

2. yes, for human; no, for dwarf, elf and it's too heavy for gnomes or halflings even with two hands

3. spikes, hum. Player's Handbook p. 65 Pitons/Spikes 5 for 5 sp 2lb...so let's say 10 for 1 gp and the weight is 4 lbs, or (1 per 1 sp 6 oz each)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ateno »

I was re writing Darian and was making sure I could bring Kazan, I fond in a reference that a trained dog is 5 g, I also spent for his collar and saddlebags,

Is this ok DM?

Eric
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

ateno wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:44 pm I was re writing Darian and was making sure I could bring Kazan, I fond in a reference that a trained dog is 5 g, I also spent for his collar and saddlebags,

Is this ok DM?

Eric
So, Darian and Kazan again! :) Yes, of course you can bring your pooch along, couldn't have one without the other now could we?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Darithe »

Guess who got a new kitten today...
Hermione.jpg
Hermione.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1663 times
Her name is Hermione. She joins my other kitty Luna (sense a theme?).
Yes, I'm fast fulfilling my quota to become a crazy cat lady....

~ Darithe dancing off into the moonlight....
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 am Guess who got a new kitten today...
Hermione.jpg

That's one cute kitty! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ateno »

GM: I'm cool with your plan for down under. Lets get going! :)
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by terrymixon »

Darithe wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 am Guess who got a new kitten today...
Hermione.jpg

Awwwww!
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 900 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Darithe »

She went to the vet today and got a clean bill of health. She is awfully sweet! She gets that from her new mommy. :roll:
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Darithe »

Hmmm....today would have been his 98th birthday....Dancing early this morn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKMEzu5 ... Nh&index=5
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Mustang Sally and Badfinger

#15 Post by Eris »

A few things...

I hurt one of my fingers today, so typing is a little difficult at the moment. It could be better or worse tomorrow depending. Speaking of tomorrow and the next day(s).

I live just east of Pensacola, Florida, and Hurricane Sally is knocking on our door. At the moment, NHC says Sally will come ashore 100 miles west, but then bend back and go just north of us. That'll put us on the "dirty" side of the storm for two or three days depending on how slowly it moves. So, things are very likely to get worse, much worse, the next few days on that front.

If the roof stays on, trees don't fall on the house, and the windows don't blow out we should be okay. We're well away from any water and high enough so we won't flood. I also keep a pretty well stocked emergency supply of food and water, and we have natural gas, so we'll have food and something to cook it with. However, there is the matter of electricity and internet. We tend to lose both when hurricanes come calling and when we go "dark" we stay "dark" for a week or two.

I have installed a generator, so I think...I hope...the electricity problem is solved, but communications will probably still go down. Phone, internet, and cable lines come down. If it is bad enough cell towers come down, too.

If I disappear that will be why.

Eris
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by terrymixon »

Stay safe!
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 900 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.
bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by bruce.desertrat »

Good luck Eris!

Saw the reports this AM, looks like you're already getting some serious rain but she's staying a Cat 1 so far so hopefully the winds will be not terrible. Fingers and toes crossed here :-)
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Eris »

Thanks, folks!

The path is trending east, and then there is a serious hook to the right, so it looks like Sally will come in just west of us and then travel around to the north before leaving...and it's traveling at 2 MPH! We're getting gusty wind and hard rain now, off and on. That should escalate to 30 MPG with gusts to 40 late this afternoon and likely to be in the 50+ MPG range with gusts to way above that by tomorrow morning where it may stay until after midnight. In addition, something like 20" of rain is going to fall over today through Thursday. There will be widespread power/communication outages, lots of trees down, some roof damage and some blown off.

I've been here long enough to remember Hurricane Danny, this is going to be like that. Danny came up Mobile Bay landing on the eastern shore and stalled for more than a day, IIRC. It then cut a diagonal through Baldwin, Escambia and northern Santa Rosa Counties. I'm in central Santa Rosa, between Pensacola and Milton. There was storm surge up Mobile Bay followed by major flooding and lots of tree/roof damage all along that diagonal. Maybe a bit worse for us as I think Sally is coming ashore a bit east of where Danny came ashore.

No tornadoes yet, but they are common when you're in TS/Hurs. We had one pop down and twist the top off one pecan tree then twist another completely out of the ground (40 foot trees, too) about 10 feet from our house back when Ivan came through. They can't warn you for them, as they spin up in seconds, then pop down and skip along, up and down for a few hundred yards then dissipate.

Mom is 99, nearly 100, and in bed 18+ hours a day. I doubt I could get her to the car to evacuate even if I wanted to. I've got water, food, medicine, generator, and gas so best I can do is hunker down.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Darithe »

Eris, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay safe sir!

Mustang Sally and Badfinger huh? Hehe, that is very clever. Although I must admit the Badfinger reference went over my head and I had to look them up on google. But I knew Mustang Sally right away. The first time I heard that is a very pleasant memory to me. Back about a decade ago when I was a wild flying freebird way before I became the tame little dove I am today, me and two girlfriends (we were all 19) went down to New Orleans and after too much time on Bourbon Street dipping our beaks in Hurricanes we decided after we left the Big Easy we would wind our way along the Texas coast stopping at Galveston, Corpus Christi and ending at San Padre Island. Well while in Corpus, we saw a flyer for this rodeo in some little podunk town north of there and of course we weren't going to Texas without seeing a rodeo so we took off....hmmm cowboys....um where was I?...oh yeah. So the three of us headed to Podunk Central and oddly enough the music act after the rodeo was the great Percy Sledge, of all people. So after the rodeo most everyone left except about 20 of us who stayed for the concert. I'll never forget dancing neath the Texas stars while Mr. Sledge sang Mustang Sally as well as When a Man Loves a Woman and many others, to this tiny crowd, while we swayed to his soulful tunes....soft sigh....

~ Darithe dancing off into the moonlight still....
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

The Love Shack!

#20 Post by Eris »

Tin roof RUSTED!

No, not really, but it did leak, and leak, and leak, and leak! We had 8 buckets/trashcans/pans scattered around the house catching water. Unlike a lot of folks around here, we're high enough not to get water coming in from below, but man did we get some coming in from above!

The generator did well, we had power the entire time. Internet didn't do so well, though. That came back late Sunday/Monday morning.

Cell phones stayed up and I was able to contact our Insurance Co. and they got an inspector out to us on Saturday. We also got a Roofing Contractor out for an inspection Saturday. He came back Sunday morning and tarped our roof. His company got us a quote for a new roof yesterday. Only one of the other roofers we called has even called back, and he said he'd be able to come out to do an inspection/tarping next week.

Well, the first guy's company is local, been here for 40 years, is located about 4 miles from our house and has good Yelp, Google, and Home Adviser reviews...and their quote was right where I thought it would be. So guess who's getting the business?

As for indoor damage...it was all ceiling, insulation in attic, and plasterwork. A leak over a bed got the mattress damp before we got that bed moved, but I think it's dried out okay and may not even have to be replaced.

Outside damage...was limited to down limbs from our pecan trees. Some were big limbs, but no trees came down. Thank goodness! We had 12 pecan trees on the property before Ivan in 2004, it took two. Dennis, in 2005, took one. Of the 9 left, I think might lose one or two from Sally eventually. One had the top twisted out but is standing firm from 20 feet to the ground. Another is leaning a little and one of its roots is exposed so it's going to be vulnerable to future high winds. Once things tame down here, I'll try to get an Arborist in to see if either can be saved.

I'll get the games going again, probably, tomorrow. Maybe today, depending on time.

IAC, thanks for the well wishes. I hope all of y'all are safe. I know JR and Terry are in the Houston area and Beta is somewhere around there right now. Stay safe guys!

Eris

ps. I said Sally was trending east and it sure did! We got the north and east eyewall, and no eye, right over our house. It was inland about 20 miles so the winds had died down a little bit, but it was rain for 30 hours...it's still raining, off and on, from beta. :(
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Silverband (C&C)”