Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#901 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i don't think it was intended as a slight to anyone... To address the snark...
True enough. But then again, when it comes to Overlords, not many folks really do well. ;) I don't mind you all givign Bremen a hard time, by the way. It's great and true to form for each of your characters.

Bremen is obviously confused. What do you mean? We took the Crooked Path like he said. We got the relic like we agreed to. I'm going to help rebuild his knightly order like he wants. You worry too much! Let's get up there and see him again. I'd like to see if he has any maps of this place, knows of any way to seal off the lower levels until I return, and if he wouldn't mind hosting any valuables we cannot carry because I'll need it to pay for repairs to our Tower. L.C. Bremen ascends the ladder, knocking on the hatch before opening it. When he enters the chamber, he smiles, holding his palms out, showing he means no harm. He makes space for Markd to come up afterwards.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#902 Post by onlyme »

Markd follows...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#903 Post by Marullus »

Bremen proceeds up through the trap door into the chamber with the Spectre, amiably showing his hands and smiling. Markd ascends behind.

The being speaks in it's strange tongue and comes around the large central table. Markd is barely into the room the the translucent being draws it's longsword and comes at Bremen with a vicious attack.

(Round 1, actions!)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#904 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

What the hell!? Can't these things ever go easy!? :lol: Let me guess, this ghost isn't happy that Bremen made a deal with a devil either? Sheesh! :roll:

Should I just roll 20d6 vs his CHA? Forget it, maybe I can just hope for a DEX check against this blood-thirsty bastard.

On a more serious note, there is no entry in LL Basic for ghost. Can they even be fought?

Ever the nimble one, Bremen darts behind Markd, using his companion as a human shield. He hopes Markd, who seemed to get along with the ghost before, can talk sense into the ghost. Hey! Tell this guy to stand down or, by Baudh, I'll burn his damned tower to the ground![/dialog]
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#905 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Should I just roll 20d6 vs his CHA? Forget it, maybe I can just hope for a DEX check against this blood-thirsty bastard.
I believe the lesson learned from other encounters is do not make rolls the DM does not call for, until the DM calls for them.

Maybe that's just a rule of the order. You have to best the knight in combat or something before you can pass!

If the spectre is speaking its Alignment language, and Bremen is Lawful, how come he can't understand it? Aren't the alignment languages Lawful, Neutral,
and Chaotic? Or is he speaking some Baudh language that Markd understands and Bremen doesn't?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#906 Post by Marullus »

You can try to talk him down with a 6d6 CHA roll, if you wish, as your action. It is attacking. The correct term for LL Basic is Spectre. You suspect your magic weapons should be effective. (Your bonus vs Undead applies.) I expect one roll or the other to be made. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#907 Post by Marullus »

Alethan wrote:If the spectre is speaking its Alignment language, and Bremen is Lawful, how come he can't understand it? Aren't the alignment languages Lawful, Neutral,
and Chaotic? Or is he speaking some Baudh language that Markd understands and Bremen doesn't?
It spoke in another language. In alignment language, Bremen understands, "You failed. You die."
:)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#908 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Alethan wrote:I believe the lesson learned from other encounters is do not make rolls the DM does not call for, until the DM calls for them.
I remembered this time! :D
Marullus wrote:It spoke in another language. In alignment language, Bremen understands, "You failed. You die."
Oh. I had hoped for something different. I've stricken my action above.

Lord Commander Bremen sighs in disappointment as the ghost draw it's sword, its body language telegraphing its intent clearly. What the hell, Markd. I want his counsel. Make it stop. But he knows his companion won't have time to stop it immediately, so Bremen defends himself.

Warhammer of Baudh vs Undead [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17, [1d8+4] = 3+4 = 7
Initiative (modified for DEX) [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
If there is a way to subdue a spectre (thanks for the name!), Bremen will do so.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#909 Post by onlyme »

Markd keeps his distance from both weapons. He asks the spectre,Can we talk this out. I will see to him getting right by the church once we've arrived back in Gaul.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#910 Post by Marullus »

As the ghost bears down on Bremen, he brings around his warhammer and solidly impacts its non-corporeal armor. (-7) The Knight rocks backward in surprise, his own blade going awry - he did not expect to be struck by mortal weapons, or to feel the burn of blessed weapons designed for the undead.

Markd's hood falls back as he steps aside, speaking with the ghost, reasoning to try to end the conflict. The divine sigil of repugnance swirls on his forehead as he calls the ghost's attention on to him, and the ghost seems transfixed by it. The ghost takes on a more horrid aspect at the sight of the sigil -- the old, tired knight replaced by a ragged creature of rage -- and it comes at Markd, transfixed upon him now.

Date: Time 11:20am, 09 June 2021
Light: sunlight, fireplace
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (moderately wounded)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#911 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Lord Commander Bremen is shocked and much-pleased when the warhammer impacts the ghost. He loses no time bringing it to bear again as it charges Markd. Not if I can help it, pal!

Warhammer of Baudh vs Undead [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18, [1d8+4] = 8+4 = 12
Initiative (modified for DEX) [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 I hope that initiative is enough to get a hit in first. Can I ask how many HP this thing has?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#912 Post by Marullus »

...Markd?
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#913 Post by onlyme »

Markd holds his longsword out in one hand with his dagger in the other, bracing for the charge.

long sword [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16; damage [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

(plus 1 for undead, so hopefully 17 hits , if necessary,of course)

He utters, fearlessly... "I am sorry to have to do this."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#914 Post by Marullus »

Bremen strikes forward with a massive blow of his hammer upon the spectral knight's back as it turns away from him, the empheral substance of which it is composed hissing and dissolving as he does so. The transfigured knight lunges at Markd, finding itself impaled upon his sword and knife even as Markd mutters a sad apology to the being. The translucent knight dissolves into a grey mist with the sound somewhere between a hiss and a sigh before the knight ever got to strike his blow.

You look around the chamber with more attentive eyes, the glazed windows shedding light within. The massive dark-stained oak table and chairs in the center of the room are far too large to ever be removed, allowing effective seating for 10 or 12 comfortably. The walls are covered with shelves and drawers and those shelves are covered with dust. Beneath that dust, however is the glint of untarnished gold and electrum, the green patina of the occasional silver. Books also fill many shelves and the table is mounded with scrolls and volumes, cobwebs thick upon them.

Date: Time 11:25am, 09 June 2021
Light: sunlight, fireplace
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (moderately wounded)
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#915 Post by onlyme »

Markd calls below for Bandy and Florian to come up, and that the spectre is no more.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#916 Post by Alethan »

Bandy peaks his head through the trapdoor hole and frowns, "What happened to the spectre knight?"

Then his thoughts are immediately distracted by the various glints surrounding them. He begins opening drawers to see what they contain...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#917 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen slowly scans the room, warhammer in hand. Once he is convinced theghost is truly gone, he sits in one of the chairs, shaking his head and laughing. Well that was unexpected, but he did say that knights demand strength. I guess it was a test for me, and makes it even more official that I'm the Lord Commander of this place. And I've got a duty to rebuild the White Knights of Baudhil. When Bandy comes up, Bremen warns him not to pocket anything right away. This stuff is important for doing my job. But Bremen soon joins the halfling in turning the room over, looking for keys, maps and loose gems/coins, etc. As he searches, he keeps an eye open for a way to thenext level, reminding the others that the spectral knight had mentioned there is a cardinal in the topmost level. Dont know if I want to meet that one yet, though I suspect I just inherited the job of protecting it.

Once the pillaging is over, Bremen recounts how the knight charged, unprovoked - first at Bremen, then at Markd. I knocked it upside its head, and then on the back, shoving hard onto Markd's sword and knife. And POOF! Didn't stand a chance. It's a shame, really. I'd hoped for his input about initiation challenges, ceremonies and vows. He looks at the books. Must be something in these books, but I'll need to figure out the written language first.

Bremen will try to keep the Tower goods in the tower, unless it looks like a common gem or coin. Then he will look through all the crates and gather anything that looks important to the tower, moving those, and anything we cannot carry to the ex-knight's level. He will try to secure and trap the hatch with cention swords and/or stingers. He wants to make sure nithing gains entry while he is in Gaul.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#918 Post by Marullus »

Bandy and Bremen begin checking the room. They find draws of silverware and goldware, gold and electrum eating plates, and other precious metals goods suitable for at least 30 place settings. There are a few small chests which hold about 40 pounds of coins each, sorted and filled with gold coins stamped with running horse insignias. The journals are all bound tomes that neither of them can read but they do find three large magical scrolls. Florin inspects them and identifies that they are clerical blessings transcribed in the name of Baudhon by a Cardinal Caelethon. In one of the drawers, Bremen does find an assortment of odd iron keys.

There is a narrow curved stair on the far wall that leads to a trap door above, easily accessible (and this time not a ladder.)

Loot details:
What is in this room from the Spectre adds up to:
100lbs silver (100gp)
600lbs electrum (3000gp)
600lbs gold (6000gp)

Scroll (1 spell):
Hold Person (2nd)

Scroll (5 spells):
Holy Word (7th)
Wind Walk (7th)
Cure Serious Wounds (4th)
Bless (2nd)
Purify Food and Drink (1st)

Scroll (3 spells):
Detect Evil (1st)
Commune (5th)
Quest (5th)

You find no gems, jewelry, other random collectables in this room - this elegant trophy room of Baudh has been well guarded and is effectively filled with gold as Baudh's divine metal.

Bremen stated IC he wants to have you leave this treasure behind for him; whether you do that or not is up to you.

I need some time to properly account for all that is crates up already in the room below at the base of the tower, but I suspect that is already more than your mounts can carry. You need to decide how encumbered you are willing to be and then decide how much you are trying to haul away, accordingly.

The library of history tomes is a special bulk object.
Once someone can read them, they can spend time (usually weeks) in study and pose questions to be answered by the GM about the Horselord Society.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#919 Post by onlyme »

Markd checks the windows to see the country side and if they can see robbers or more hippographs. He then goes to the trap door leading up.
I figure a quick peek to make sure its secure, and then we best be travelling back before creatures start realizing some of the defenses are already gone from this place. .

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#920 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Well, other than the books, scrolls and keys, it seems nothing up here is too vital to re-establishing this tower, and the gold will be well spent in Gaul. He takes the keys and scrolls, placing them in his pack. (Are then in a scroll case? If not, is there one available?) He warns Markd to be careful heading up the stairs. I'm hoping I can talk with the cardinal. Or maybe the Bishop or Duke will want to. They'd make fine guests!

Bremen is okay with taking the coins to Gaul. He could be convinced to take the place settings, but prefers to leave it, as it is irreplaceable and he'll be eating here in the future. He prefers to focus on taking the gold items from below. If Markd wants to arrange a meeting between Bremen and the Cardinal, Bremen would go for it, but he doesn't want to fight another historical spectre.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”