Action Thread 6

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 6

#81 Post by Nuke66 »

"Perhaps not. We could have quite advantage right here. One person should be able to hold them in each tunnel." She looks up the ladder, "Can we lock that hatch? Blodgett, can you run up to check?"
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by saalaria »

"correct which is why I say press on! They can only come at us from 2 sides in the tunnel - and probably only 1 at a time - not from 3 directions like in here!"
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by Alethan »

Freda, standing on the ladder, replies, "The hatch is secured from the other side. There is little risk of anything coming at us from above, I think. Our biggest concern should be whatever is coming up behind us."

She jumps down from the ladder and readies her bow and an arrow.

"Everyone, move back away from the opening. Ready your ranged weapons, if you have them. And we should consider shielding the lanterns until we hear the sounds are right outside the room. Or until we get a signal from someone who can see in the dark."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by max_vale »

Ogre doesn't much like the idea of fighting in narrow tunnels; but the prospect of taking out some enemy slavers mollifies him somewhat and taking Freda's advice; he sets his shield down against the wall; sheathes his sword and pulls his Bow off his back and nocks and arrow....
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by tkrexx »

I've an idea, The Illusionist pants, partially covering the lantern's glow, he quickly waddles to the passage the party has yet to enter. He listens to make certain the sounds issuing from there are not indeed getting closer, then whispers: I will draw the attention of whoever comes forth from behind by opening the lantern in their faces. Without any darksight they should be unable to notice anyone against the opposite wall. While all eyes are on me, or on the light, all of you should be able to launch multiple attacks, if you deem them foes.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Nuke66 »

"Good plan, better fighting where we have space." Eljay with switch to her long bow. "I will stand with you and tell you when to open the lantern."
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#87 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett sheathes his sword and readies a bullet in his sling.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex – 7:27 a

My apologies for the AWOL DM, hope to be more regular posting… even though Thanksgiving is right around the corner! :)

After some quick planning, the team decides to lay a trap for whatever might come. The missileers prepare their weapons, and everyone is plunged into the dark. Elwita will use her crossbow The elves and dwarf are most comfortable in the dark as you all wait.

The dark and chill of the cavern seems to magnify the footsteps, or what have to be footsteps, though they are strange in sound, that are coming down the western passage. As you await their entrance, the humans in the group becoming more and more nervous. All of a sudden, at Eljay’s touch, Phanstern unshutters the lantern revealing:

Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
There are four of these creatures, each standing about 5’ or higher tall, each with two shields and two swords, and each entering into the cavern. The shields and swords occupy four limbs (legs?) but they stand on two more.

As the light floods them, they stand up tall, aggressively, but are obviously confused in the light.

They look confused, befuddled, hard to tell, but they definitely seem surprised. This is a pre-round action, let’s call it Round Zero. Everyone can shoot full rates of fire (2 arrows, 3 darts) except for Freda who is specialized and can shoot off four arrows. Then we’ll roll initiative for Round 1.

[/b]HPs: Elwita - 33/50; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 10/20 ; Freda - 34/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 11/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: cross bow (war hammer), shield; Ogre: short bow [Long sword (20' radius light), shield]; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: sling [short sword]; Freda: long bow [long sword, shield]; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long bow? [long sword, shield]
MO: Eljayess, Blodgett, Ogre, Elwita, Freda, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hours, 0 minutes left) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch - Delgath (out), Torch - (not lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-1/2, 3-1/1 : Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by rredmond »

Going to put up a battle map of sorts to help clarify what's going on. Let me know what isn't correct:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (102.31 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
The creatures are designated by numbers, you are all designated by your initials.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by max_vale »

Ogre; startled by the unexpected sight of the 'insect' men; calls out to his companions; "Has anyone ever seen creatures like this? Should we attempt to deal with them or just fight?"; he asks with a confused tone....
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by Vargr1105 »

Kayen follows Freda's lead and shoots two arrows of his own at the nearest creature.

To hit with longbow (Thac0 15): [1d20] = 18, Damage: [1d6] = 5

To hit with longbow (Thac0 15): [1d20] = 20, Damage: [1d6] = 2

OOC: Oh my! The Gods of Gaming do smile upon the Elf tonight. :D
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by tkrexx »

I had actually intended Phanstern to be in the entrance of the outgoing passage, so he could hear anything approach from that side.

Stars in my pockets, what are they?? The Illusionist sees that whatever they are, they appear dazed and surprised. As if by magic a dagger finds its way into his dextrous fingers and sings thru the air toward the last creature entering. This is as much a move of discovery as of offense.

[1d20] = 20
I'd add dex bonus but I'm too busy dancing on my chair!
[1d4] = 2

He will refrain from any further action for a time other than directing the lantern and observing the foes, trying to note strengths, weaknesses, features and how much it takes to put them down. Just in case, he will be ready with his Color Spray.
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Nuke66 »

Eljay shoots twice before dropping her bow and charging with her spear.

[1d20] = 10 to hit, [1d8] = 3 damage
[1d20] = 6 to hit [1d8] = 8 damage

"Bah, for heaven's sake" Dropping her bow, she grabs her spear and charges toward #2
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by saalaria »

Dredd lights his last torch and keeps an eye out down the onward passage. He periodically checks the battle in case his spells are needed.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#96 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett fires his first sling bullet at the closest one (number 2 on your map).

To hit: [1d20+3] = 18+3 = 21, damage sling bullet: [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5 (medium opponent) (hits ac -5)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by max_vale »

Ogre glances at his companions who have just launched attacks at unknown creatures he had never heard about nor had he felt threatened by them in any way. The simple fact that they were at the slavers site seemed to be enough justification for them.

Ogre attempted to halt the situation before it got worse. Walking towards the insect man; and coincidentally into his companions' line of fire until he was about 20 feet from the nearest insect-man; Ogre said; "If you lay down your weapons and don't run; we won't kill you or your fellows."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex – 7:28 a
Round 1

I know there is discussion in other threads, we’ll go with called actions as they are presently.

Ogre asks Has anyone ever seen creatures like this? Should we attempt to deal with them or just fight? which is immediately followed by the twanging of multiple bow strings.

Freda is able to shoot four arrows, one misses badly, while two others bounce off the chitin of the creatures entering the cavern. One sticks nicely on the lead creature, piercing it’s armor like hide.

Kayen does a bit better with fewer arrows. His first arrow piercing the second creature to enter, while the second arrow also hits the first.

After also questioning what these creatures may be, Phanstern is able to impale the second creature with one of his daggers.

Eljay launches two arrows, which both miss. Cursing she drops the bow and charges in with her spear.

Dredd lights another torch so they have plenty of light and keeps watch over the other passageway.

Elwita misses with her crossbow and drops it for her hammer.

Blodgett is able to get off a stone and solidly hits the second one coming in (still a random roll, :)).

As folks are preparing to enter melee, Ogre walks out in front of everyone toward the insect men saying If you lay down your weapons and don't run; we won't kill you or your fellows."

This will start round 1. Ogre is using parlay instead of attacks, but I’ll still need an initiative roll from one of you, and called actions from everyone.

HPs: Elwita - 33/50; Ogre - 45/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 10/20 ; Freda - 34/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 11/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer (cross bow), shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light) (short bow), shield]; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword (sling); Freda: long sword (long bow), shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield (long bow); Kayen: long sword (long bow), shield]
MO: Eljayess, Blodgett, Ogre, Elwita, Freda, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hours, 0 minutes left) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch - Delgath (60 minutes 40’ radius), Torch - (not lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-1/2, 3-1/1 : Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by max_vale »

Ogre will drop his bow and put his hand on his sword hilt; but won't draw it unless it's obvious the creatures are going to attack him....

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”