Journey to the Mines

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Journey to the Mines

#81 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul leafs through the leather-bound book and, upon finding the page, whispers the Prayer to the Lady of Found Fortune, hoping she will smile upon them in the mines. He then draws out a lantern from his pack and carefully fills it with a flask of oil and lights it as the party prepares to enter the tunnel. Not wanting to hold up the party further, he second guesses himself, Maybe a prayer to the Lords of Safe Passage next time...

Edited:

-1 flask of oil.
23gp added to sheet, as well as the 5gp to split later (added to my notes section, not personal possessions)

Holding lit lantern
AC: 5 (chainmail armor, no shield)
HP: 7/7
Cure Light Wounds
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by Tamerlaine »

Tamerlaine wrote:...at the bottom of your posts indicate your character's AC, HPs, and spells currently memorized if applicable.
Just a note, there is no door, just dark opening 10' wide by 20' high. I'll be back to this soon.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by rossik »

Igneos will look back , as to certify no one is following them

AC8, 4 PV, Sleep

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Grenda will check for hidden doors/entrances. She currently has her bow out with a nocked arrow.

HP: 6 AC: 6 Sleep

OCC: Marching order looks good.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by alver »

Cedric, following the example of Parson Paul, takes out a large candle and lights it. He stays a few feet behind Norzak and tries to peer into the darkness that waits ahead.

Cedric Noakes: AC 6, HP 7/7, holding candle

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#86 Post by Tamerlaine »

With trepidation and resolve, the party led by the Norzak enters the gaping dark maw leading into the mines. The dwarf's dark vision is foiled by the light of the lamp and to a lesser extent, a candle, yet his eyes quickly takes in the rough cut stone of the passageway. The work of dwarves is unmistakable to Norzak and somehow it eases a bit of the heaviness and the party walks deeper into the passage.

OOC: For the sake of orientation, the top of the screen is north, the bottom is south and of course left is west and right is east.

The passage leads NW, then turns NE before leveling out due North. Shadows plays across the walls, floor and ceiling as the light of the lamp holds off the pitch black darkness around them.

Norzak Underground Skillz: [1d6] = 4

As the party reaches the top of the passageway as shown by the map, perhaps the dwarf was distracted or his eyes focused on the wrong part of the passage. Whatever the situation, the ground falls away beneath Norzak's feet and the rest watch the dwarf fall through the ground! Norzak, the pit is 20' feet deep and yet despite the distance, you fall onto leaves, soft dirt and the bones of something yet identified suffering only 1d6 of damage instead of 2d6.

Falling Damage: [1d6] = 5

Ouch! Not soft enough.

Actions?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus smacks himself in the forehead. "Rope! I should have bought some rope!

"Uhm... anybody have a coil or two to spare?"

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#88 Post by alver »

Cedric

"Oh my gods! Are you all right?"

The halfling lets some candle wax drip on the floor a few feet away and sets the candle in it so it does not fall over. He takes out his rope and lowers it to Norzak.

"Can you hold on to the rope? We're gonna pull you out."

--
Cedric Noakes: AC 6, HP 7/7

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Slinging her bow, Grenda pitches in a hand holding the rope. Ill start to our investigation of this place.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

"Ouch!!!!! Durned traps. Good 'un too. I'm fine, just hurt my behind!" comes Norzak's reply as he rubs his sore posterior.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by rossik »

"Oh, that looks painful!"
Igneos figures that the dwarf problem is controlled, so he start searching the east wall for sigils, signs or - gulp- traps.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul looks embarrassed and shuffles his feet a bit when Aldredus mentions the need for rope. He is relieved when Cedric produces a coil, then helps hoist Norzak, all his heavy gear, up. He offers to heal Norzak, if the dwarf is interested.

I hate only having CLW 1x/day! Do we hold until someone is closer to death, or keep our dark-vision tank at full health? Decisions, decisions...

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by tarlyn »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Parson Paul looks embarrassed and shuffles his feet a bit when Aldredus mentions the need for rope. He is relieved when Cedric produces a coil, then helps hoist Norzak, all his heavy gear, up. He offers to heal Norzak, if the dwarf is interested.

I hate only having CLW 1x/day! Do we hold until someone is closer to death, or keep our dark-vision tank at full health? Decisions, decisions...
Norzak

"Thank ya fer tha offer but keep it in case someone needs it more, Paul. Me arse is the least 'o our worries," comes the reply from the dwarf.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#94 Post by alver »

Cedric starts to investigate the way forward. Is it possible to get around the pit trap? Does the passageway continue straight north after the trap?

--

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Paul nods at Norzak's words. He looks briefly at the dwarf's backside, trying to determine if it meets any concern at all. He stops himself.

Say. Do you think that trap has been there for centuries, or is it a more recent addition? Or the covering, at least? I'm just wondering if this passage is used regularly, y'know?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Looking at the dwarf with concern and then turning her attention to the nearby walls, Grenda will try to detect any near by hidden passages.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by Tamerlaine »

Yay! My wifi is back! At first, before I realized I didn't have wifi, I couldn't use the US dice roller so I rolled with my own dice. I'm loathe to go back and reroll using the site dice roller as Im afraid t do so would be detrimental to the players. See, i'm a nice DM. Back to the game...

Original Post

OOC: I wish I had been able to jump in earlier but I was on a two day road trip for my employer and didn't have the resources with me to do so. Mea culpa.

After Norzak falls, this is pretty much his action down at the bottom of the pit...

After
tarlyn wrote:Norzak"Ouch!!!!! Durned traps. Good 'un too. I'm fine, just hurt my behind!" comes Norzak's reply as he rubs his sore posterior.
So distracted by the pain in his butt, the dwarf doesn't take the moment to look around the bottom of the ten by ten shaft. If he had, Norzak would have noted the two holes at the bottom of the west and east walls. As his concerned companions inquire to his health and start the process of tossing a rope down...

For some reason I can't access the US Dice Roller. I will roll my own dice.

Suddenly three dark shapes dart out of the two holes, two from the west and the other from the east. Before anyone can react or yell out a warning, the three Large Rats attack the surprised dwarf (and yes, the whole party is surprised). These large rats are between 3 to 4 feet long sans tails.

Norzak feels something slamming into him from different directions as long yellowed teeth gnash and gnaw against the dwarf's chain and shield, the rats seeking soft flesh with almost rabid hunger. Only one finds a way through the dwarf's defenses and Norzak suddenly grunts with sharp pain. Norzak takes 3 hp of damage!

The party wins the initiative!

Actions?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by rossik »

"By the Gods! Take that dwarf out the pit, guys!" scream Igneos, for the ones with the rope

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

The dwarf swats at the rats with his hand even as he yells "Git me atta here fast, dagnabbit! Dirty stinkin rats!
Owww! Son of an Orcs cousin! Pull! Pull!! Hurry!! Hurry!!!!"

Norzak grabs the rope in both hands and planting his feet against a wall, if he can, he tries to start climbing anyways. He does

not feel great at all to be perfectly honest, but damned if he'll let this Mine or them dirty rats get the better of him.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#100 Post by alver »

Cedric, with his mouth open and eyes as big as dessert plates from surprise, starts hauling the dwarf up as fast as he can.

--

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”