Chapter 2: The Heist

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 2: The Heist

#81 Post by Enoch »

I assume it's moving past us to go through the door we just opened (i.e., back toward the rest of the house)?

As the great cat turns to flee, Raamiz slashes at its hamstrings, but the cat is well out of range and the blade passes harmlessly behind it.

Melee attack, short sword [1d20-1] = 7-1 = 6, damage [1d6-1] = 4-1 = 3
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by drpete »

They came at you in the area of the door to their room, the vault door you opened. It's just running back into
its room, toward the corner. For good or bad, it's not trying to escape the basement, at the moment.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by drpete »

Fiapy also tries to swipe at the jaguar as it retreats back into the room, with no success. The jaguar paces anxiously along the opposite wall of the room, bleeding from Fiapy's attack, and roars sadly.

Fiapy Melee Fiapy Longsword Attack [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4 + Deed Die [1d3] = 1; Damage; Deed die+[1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9

Fiapy, I think your bonuses in your attack rolls are all wrong... I think you get a +1 to attack and damage, not a +3 to attack, no damage bonus...
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by shaidar »

does the internal door appear to have a lock as well?
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by Enoch »

Raamiz pauses, lowering the tip of his blade as he watches the cringing beast.

"It seems a shame to destroy such a noble creature without cause. Do you think there is any way to spare it?"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by shaidar »

Shmehk

"Agreed. Perhaps Fiapy and I can guard you while you look at the second door?"
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by Enoch »

Nodding, Raamiz takes a cautious step toward the internal door, his eyes on the cat. He approaches from the far side of the door. "Perhaps I can shoo him toward another corner--and away from the door."
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by drpete »

Besides the cats, the room contains little. Scraps of meat, a large sand filled box containing cat scat, and a rope- handled bucket containing water. In the center of the ceiling, there is a 3' square opening.

A stout bronze door of curiously crimson tint bars further passage into Igrik’s vault. The face of the door is inscribed with flame-like patterns and strange sigils line the edges of the valve. A single keyhole set in the middle of a circular plate rests in the dead center of the door.

The jaguar, chastened, stays in the corner of the room, and doesn't seem to want to approach.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by shaidar »

Shmehk glances around the room and up at the ceiling "We could move some crates so it can climb up and escape?"

So the opening has no hatch or covering? Can we see stars or anything else through it?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by drpete »

The opening is the start of a shaft that runs up about 20 feet before ending in a grate. It looks like it goes into a space upstairs in the building, rather than outside... you don't get a fresh air smell, or see stars.

You probably could stack some stuff up beneath it then shimmy up, if you wanted to... (there'd be a strength check, but not an extreme one)
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by shaidar »

Shmehk sighs

"It looks nobody is getting out that way. Maybe we can leave the door open when we leave and it'll find it's way out. Unless one of us wants to climb up and take a look?"
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Enoch »

Raamiz twists his neck and flexes his fingers several times. "Climbing a rope should be no real problem, especially if we do stack a few crates up--unless our warrior friend would prefer to do it?" He looks over at Fiapy with an expectant gaze. "I suppose they draw the bucket up to the grate and fill it that way, though perhaps we could lever the grate off."

He pauses a moment. "Whomever remains down here should, perhaps, make sure there is not a key left hidden in that sand. Unpleasant, yes; but that is precisely what makes it a good hiding place."
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by shaidar »

Shmehk

"I'll search the sand. Although even if we lift the grate I'm not sure the cat will be able to get up the shaft, but it will be useful to see where it leads, even as a additional escape route"
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Enoch »

Raamiz taps the side of his nose and replies in a merry, piping tone: "Exactly, my friend. Even if it does not lead inside the vault, it is always useful to have another way out, in case of...unpleaseantness. But! I am sure we can be through that door quickly, and leave with no one the wiser."
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by drpete »

So, you want to bring stuff in from the storage room to make a pile under the shaft? The opening of the shaft is in the ceiling, 10 feet up, and it continues 20 feet further.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by shaidar »

I'm up for that, 5 foot of crates at least, to get us within reach of the shaft.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Enoch »

Sounds good to me. Just to be clear: there's a shaft that extends 20' up beyond the ceiling, with a grate at ceiling height, with a rope descending through the grate and attached to the bucket at floor level, correct?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by shaidar »

are there any longer items in the other room, like planks?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by drpete »

There's an open hole in the ceiling. A shaft runs straight up from there 20 feet. At the *top* you can see a grate.

There is no rope. There is a bucket with a rope handle, which is beneath the shaft, but no sign of how/if it was lowered. If you want to climb, it's with back against one wall, feet against the opposite wall, shimmying up.

https://youtu.be/3j1lOkxhAOw

The other room has lots of crates and barrels... enough for these purposes, but nothing long enough to act like a ladder
ctcharger
Guide
Guide

#100 Post by ctcharger »

Fiapy:

"Not a fan of the vertical approach but if I am the last one here, not much I can do but climb. Last guy is a sitting duck if someone shows up."

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”