Expedition: Bianca to the North Woods - 03 Aug 2021

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Bianca to the North Woods - 03 Aug 2021

#81 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Looks around and double checks Daystar before leading the group on.

Okay, so I have discussed the route, travel times, and hexes to explore with Marullus, and basically we are getting 12 hours of usable daylight with 8 hours to rest for spells. That means that at 1mph (current travel speed if we slow down a little and explore) which means we can cover 1.5 hexes per 12 hour day. In my mind, this will give us more chance of discovering what is here if anything and more chance of finding forage items that can help supplement our rations, which could lead to an even larger route since we would worry less about supplies. That being said, I have put together a new map which will take us to 7.5 days and get a couple more hexes in. This is assuming we can get some more food between X & Y, otherwise, we can always easily cut across to make for Gaul and shorten the trip.
Of course, I leave this open to anyone who wants to add their own ideas and thoughts on the matter. I have tried to mark where the days have and should end with the Arrow Marks and labels. We are at the start of day 3 where the star is, so instead of going northeast,
I am proposing that we go northwest to explore a few more hexes on this longer route.

ExploreDaWoods2.jpg
ExploreDaWoods2.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Zhym »

Let's not waste time debating simple questions like which direction we go. Party leader decides the party direction. So decide something and we'll do it. :P
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Yes, I think the majority of us have agreed to follow the expedition leader, so as the crowd in The Holy Grail would say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

:D
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Winnie voices her preference to continue on. I am curious to know what else lies so close to our home. And the walk is lovely, isn't it? This forest is ancient!
This was intended to be read as, "Happy to follow the leader in any direction she chooses."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

With Bianca picking the route, the group turns to the northwest, winding through the dense forest, covering ground rather than ranging to explore more widely. Bianca's sharp elf eyes do spot something of interest as they travel - a plethora of honeybees, which reveal a hollow tree of honeycombs. With some careful extraction, she is able to get some for the group. (+1 man-day preserved rations) After eight miles, the party adjusts course, veering straight northward. You are deep in the ancient forest, only dappling light making it to where you are at the bases of massive trees.

You're about half-way as far north as you planned when you pause, being alerted by a strange, thumping and humming sound. You identify the source a few moments later as you see four large creatures the size of small black bears in the sky, their insect-like wings droning as they drop through the canopy. You see a dull-glint in their goblinoid eyes, staring out of a flat, noseless face with giant mandibles and serrated teeth in its mouth. Stout bear-like legs and muscular forearms flank two pairs of slender insectoid limbs which extend out of each of the creature's sides. A hard carapace covers its back, like natural armor with thrumming, beetle-like wings. They're about 70' away and coming towards you.

Actions!

Date: 04 August 2021, 6:46pm
Distance: ~11 miles
Effects: Invisibility (Winnie)
Injuries: Grizzly Woman (minor wound), Halla (minor wound), Huckleberry (minor wound), Willow (minor wound)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Neither is surprised. Normally, surprise happens on a 1 or 2. It isn't compared like Initiative is.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by Alethan »

Willow looks up at the advancing... er... bug-like bear things and casts Hold Person on them.

(OOC: Not knowing how many hit dice they have, I don't know if it affects one or multiple, so I'll let you determine that, Mr. DM.)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Zhym »

Clint Brockhammer steps forward, cutting a dashing figure as he holds his shining sword before him. "Stand back, ladies!" he cries in a sonorous, booming baritone. "I'll protect you!"

Initiative: [1d6] = 1 Uh, yeah, we're gonna want a re-roll on that.
Longsword (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21 [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10

"Bugbears." Heh.

BTW, just a reminder that Clint is 1st level and has pitifully low XP. So feel free to ignore his exhortation to stand back. He won't last long on the front line. Doesn't mean he knows it, though.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Bianca and Willow begin casting at the descending oddities, Winnie holds her own spells. Instead, she takes hold of Daystar's reigns to keep her from bolting into the forest. Mrs. Dash, please defend us.

If needed: Also, 1.5 rations deducted from this morning.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman chews on the piece of straw in her mouth as she whips her bow off her shoulder. She takes aim and lets an arrow fly at the lead bearbug.

Short Bow (ThAC0 17): to-hit [1d20] = 9, damage [1d6] = 2
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

The insectoid bears dive at the party, mandibles clicking over their horrid bear jaws. Grizzly Woman, Halla, and Berra all loose their shafts, Halla's arrow sticking in the flank of the second largest beast (-3hp). Willow calls upon divine power to freeze them, but to no avail - it appears to have no effect. Bianca whispers in elvish, the largest of the creatures subcumbing to slumber. It's wings falter and it falls unceremoniously through the canopy and crashes hard into the ground (-7 falling damage), which wakes it up. It struggles to re-gain its feet.

The other three, however, dive at the party! Clint steps forward, slicing cleanly through the first of the beasts and sending it crashing to the ground, unmoving (-10). The one with the arrow in it dives straight for the elf, catching Bianca in its horrid mandibles and cutting deep into her sides with one powerful clench of them (-7). Bianca swoons, unconscious. Mrs. Dash barks in protest, but can't land a bite on the beast. The last of them comes down on Clint, but he keeps it at bay by the grace of his large and impressive shield, which it attempts to crush with its teeth instead of him.

(Actions!)

Date: 04 August 2021, 6:47pm
Injuries: Bianca (near death, unconscious), Grizzly Woman (minor wound), Halla (minor wound), Huckleberry (minor wound), Willow (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zhym »

Clint shakes the bearbug off his shield and goes at it again with his sword.

Longsword (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8
Initiative: [1d6] = 2
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

Willow goes after the bearbug that dropped Bianca and calls out, "Help me fight this thing off so I can tend her wounds!"

Mace THAC019 [1d20] = 14 Damage [1d6] = 1

Initiative [1d6] = 3
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie shrieks as Bianca falls. Without further hesitation she weaves a spell. Simultaneously, gossamer threads weave around the bug-bear near Bianca and Willow.

Mrs Dash continues to guard Daystar ineffectually.

cast Web.
Mrs. Dash (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 3, dmg [1d6] = 6
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

Clint whips around with his sword, firmly burying it in the abomination which clung to his shield, and it collapses to the ground. (-8) With two of the four creatures swatted down with a single blow, he is earning his title as protector of the fairer sex.

Willow thunks the beast which is trying to devour Bianca (-1) and then Winnie throws a giant web mass at it. The creature is hopelessly ensnared for the moment but also glued to the unconscious Bianca, who it was grappling.

The largest insect-bear struggles back to it's feet at a distance, while Halla, Berta, and Grizzly Woman launch shafts in it's direction, but they are deflected in the tree canopy.

(Actions!)

Date: 04 August 2021, 6:48pm
Injuries: Bianca (near death, unconscious), Grizzly Woman (minor wound), Halla (minor wound), Huckleberry (minor wound), Willow (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

"I'll save you, Bianca!" vows Clint. He leaps to her defense, skewering the bearbug that's trying to eat her.

Longsword (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20 [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10
Initiative: [1d6] = 5

I was going to say, "unless he can't attack the one on Bianca without getting webbed himself, in which case he charges at the other one," but this is Clint. He's not that bright. OTOH, I can't tell if Bianca is actually in danger at the moment. If it's clear that she's not, go ahead and have Clint charge the other one, please.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”