Episode OOC

Antman9
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Episode OOC

#81 Post by Marullus »

My understanding:
You can have a "virtual" firearm if it makes sense to do so (it just provides no dice). I'm going on the limb that Jesse's contribution to the "well-stocked shuttle" is a robust weapon locker. ;) If you want an advantage (i.e. asset die) for the gun, then it is spending your PP to create an asset. I'd say you can create a MacGuyver-item or grab something from a locker according to what is the most fun story. :)
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#82 Post by FantasyChic »

Sp a advantage would be the explosive ammo you got. If Milly just wants a gun, she could grab one, but if I wanna add more oomph to it I need to spend PP?
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Jack »

"Basic weapons in Firefly—whether they’re the sharp, pointy kind or not—are already represented by your Skills (Shoot and Fight) on account of the way you build your dice pool. Because weapons increase your chance of success, if ’n you raise the stakes, you’ll narrate what happens when your bullet hit its target. Of course, if you’ve got a weapon that’s also a Signature Asset, you’ll get additional dice to try to raise those stakes!" - p.62

I think any PC can play that they have a gun. If you have a signature asset gun then you can add its die. If you don't have a signature asset gun, and want a d6 to add to your shoot skill die, you'll have to spend a PP to create a d6 asset gun.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#84 Post by Jack »

Remember to wait to create the asset just before you actually need it (I created the O2 tanks too soon, before I heard that the terraformers didn't have suits) because an asset only lasts for a scene, unless you spend another PP to use it for the whole episode.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#85 Post by Jack »

Those last 2 IC posts about Jesse and Boscoe were awesome.

Boscoe can use the Opportunity (DM jinx) to step back the thruster complication, and he probably needs to fix at least the plate from the outside.
Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#86 Post by Quaid Slauson »

So I think Edmund will attempt to Treat Percy's complication, then go for creating a bounty Quarry. I won't be able to post until this evening.

Edit: Managed to read the other new IC posts to date. Edmund will also be getting suited up, etc.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Jack wrote:Those last 2 IC posts about Jesse and Boscoe were awesome.

Boscoe can use the Opportunity (DM jinx) to step back the thruster complication, and he probably needs to fix at least the plate from the outside.
:oops: Thanks. It took a bunch of searching online and in the rule book to get any lingo right, to be sure. :lol:

I used Marullus's template because it made the flashback so obvious.

@ Antman: Is that how you were envisioning flashbacks working? Two of us posted, but they weren't linked. I could have made the ship orbiting Kalidasa (Xuan Wu), having acted as a transport for Jesse's platoon... Happy to ammend it, or to flesh it out in a future flashback if you like. :)

@ Jack: Using the DM jinx to our collective advantage is a great idea. If no one objects, I will do so. I will also use my toolkit as a resource. Maybe the PP if needed since - as far as I can tell - I am doing the repair alone.

And... I took a gun as a special asset. ;) (Because my shooting skill isn't so hot, despite having been in the Alliance Navy...)

@ Antman: To be clear, If I had wanted to use the I don't want to burn trigger, I would have needed to step up the initial repair job, right? Or is there a way to use it still, adding to a future complication? As slow as it is going, Beat 1a happened way faster than I could comprehend! :lol:
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Nice flashback! Did Boscoe invoke his "I don't wanna burn" complication to earn a PP? It's now up to the GM about flashback rewards - if he gives Boscoe a free asset and/or bumps my launcher to d8. I feel like we should do more work for that, personally... I don't mind making another round of flashback posts especially if linked. It was hard to write one alone, but feels easier to write in tandem because we can bounce off each other. :)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hey. I just went through all the character sheets again and realized that Bosco is the hideously ugly member on a boat full of charismatic models! :shock: What a sore thumb he is going to be in social situations... :mrgreen:

@ marullus: Check my edited post above. I wasn't sure how or when to invoke that asset. I would like to (have) though. I also asked the same question about the flashback and I also feel like it should be more in depth than it is so far.

I agree that writing a story in tandem would be fun. We can keep going as the scene progresses. If we do, we can tie it together like I mentioned as the scene progresses. Perhaps it was one large Browncoat trap. I chose a longbow because - if I am right in my interpretation - they are supposed to be used en masse. My ship was alone, having been separated for whatever reason...
Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#90 Post by Quaid Slauson »

So if Edmund is good at Treat and it's part of who he is, it would make sense to Treat Percy's Rattled complication, yes?

Is that a single die roll, or would I put Mental d8, Treat d8 (or d10 if using the Tough Love trigger), Signature Asset Belief d6 if roll played, etc?

I can't combine two or more skills, like Noticing the captain's condition and Treating the captain, right?
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#91 Post by FantasyChic »

I hope you appreciate the little hint I gave to you Antman if you ever decide to do a flashback regarding Milly :)

Other than that I am happy to see this starting to progress a little faster.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

Quaid Slauson wrote:So if Edmund is good at Treat and it's part of who he is, it would make sense to Treat Percy's Rattled complication, yes?

Is that a single die roll, or would I put Mental d8, Treat d8 (or d10 if using the Tough Love trigger), Signature Asset Belief d6 if roll played, etc?

I can't combine two or more skills, like Noticing the captain's condition and Treating the captain, right?
Yes, that's awesome and what he should be good at. :).

Add an attribute, skill, distinction, then any assets. So, that's d8 mental, d10 treat (with tough love), d8 Honest Man, and d6 belief.

No, can't add two skills, I don't think. But other PCs can provide their skills as Help to your pool.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#93 Post by Jack »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Using the DM jinx to our collective advantage is a great idea. If no one objects, I will do so. I will also use my toolkit as a resource. Maybe the PP if needed since - as far as I can tell - I am doing the repair alone.
Using an opportunity costs a PP and then there's no dice rolling, and would remove complication 1 because it's a d6 (p. 47). If you want to keep your PP, you can instead make a pool and do a Set the Stakes roll. Percy will join Bosco for the EVA, and either help out or just stand guard while Bosco works.

As for technical terms, I'm probably making people who actually know something about flying roll their eyes, but I'm just gonna keep cow pooping my way thru until I learn more.

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Hey. I just went through all the character sheets again and realized that Bosco is the hideously ugly member on a boat full of charismatic models! :shock: What a sore thumb he is going to be in social situations... :mrgreen:
I think that could actually come in handy in some social situations: some people will have a gut feeling that the pretties are less trustworthy than the uglies. The same with Percy's tattoos: middle class to rich folk may recoil from him, while some Browncoats may find him more trustworthy because of it.

Quaid Slauson wrote:So if Edmund is good at Treat and it's part of who he is, it would make sense to Treat Percy's Rattled complication, yes?

Yeah, only 1 attribute, only 1 skill, and optionally distinctions, signature assets, and lent dice - I think Ant will then create a Raise the Stakes pool with rattled [1d6] and a difficulty die. You can, instead of using your PP for a Tough Love step up, keep it to create a Quarry asset later when you have some info on the pirates or one pirate specifically.

Percy is easily amused, so if your pool is more than Ant's, just saying "cow poop" instead of bull**** to Percy will make him laugh and unrattle him.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Jack wrote: You can, instead of using your PP for a Tough Love step up, keep it to create a Quarry asset later when you have some info on the pirates or one pirate specifically.
That's a really good point. With only one PP available to spend, I wouldn't use it on the Treat roll.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

You've got me fooled, Jack. :D

I will wait to enter my "suit up and go" post until Antman offers insight into the flashbacks. But I think at least one person will have to help from the inside of the shuttle. Zhym, are you willing to do that? (Really I was just thinking that you don't have much to do yet and thought your well-manicured character would love a crash course in "how to get dirty."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Zhym »

Sounds good to me. :)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Antman9 »

Boy you guys got pretty excited there didn't you? :D Awesome! Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm transitioning between jobs this week. I'm going to address things in separate posts for easier reading/comprehension.

Quaid
Quaid wrote: Moving forward, this (almost) seems like an opportunity for Edmund the bounty hunter to create a bounty Quarry asset, but obviously he doesn't have time for cortex browsing when both PC crew and NPC base crew are imperiled.
Quite possibly yes. But keep in mind what Jack said a bit later about waiting until just before you need an asset. In this case wait until you have a bit more info. For example, in this particular case, the only info you have is that someone on the other end of the com said “Pirates,” you know the shuttle was hit by a dirty laser weapon, and the coms were jammed at one point. But, consider the ‘Verse and all the possibilities that might arise from the A-Team/helping the little guy aspect of this campaign. The “Pirates” could be pirates, or rogue military, or a competing corporate entity, or something else altogether—just something to consider. Hope that helps when making decisions.

Hint: not pirates
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by Antman9 »

FIREARMS
Marullus and Jack covered this pretty well.
  • You can have a virtual firearm (use your Shoot skill) (does your crewmember’s pathology/background warrant something special?)
  • Need something specific? Use a PP to create a special asset. Add the d6 die to the dice pool when appropriate.
  • Created assets last a scene, spend an additional PP to last a whole episode. You can make that asset permanent between episodes when you advance your crewmember.
  • Complications arise when someone or something is hit by weapon fire (such as when the shuttle was hit by laser fire). Complications then step up further, under various circumstances/scenarios/Jinx until they reach d12, at which time the character or asset is Taken Out.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by Antman9 »

Boscoe/Recovery Rolls/Opportunity
Whew! A lot going on here…

I would skip using the PP due to the low Complication and Difficulty dice involved here. Unless you are worried about rolling a Jinx.

POSSIBLE OPTIONS
  • Attempt Recovery Rolls on both the Ion Thruster Complication d6 & the Starboard thrust vector plate d6.
  • (separate posts for both rolls, representing the time it takes to work on both problems).
    • When you attempt a recovery and fail, the Complication steps back one die, representing progress in the repairs.
    • Also: the GM may rule that no further Recovery attempts can be made until additional resources are obtained, etc.
    • As long as you don’t roll a Jinx you’re shiny.
    • If the Complication is at d6, and the Recovery roll fails, the Complication is stepped down to a d4 and removed, mission accomplished – Shiny!
  • Note: I like this option because you can save your PP for something better, and if you roll a Jinx it adds depth and drama to the story.
  • Example: Say there is a d8 Complication, you make a Recovery roll and fail, and the GM has rolled a Jinx. The failed Recovery steps the Complication back to a d6, then you can take advantage of the GM Jinx, spend a PP, and step the Complication to a d4 removing it.
GM will Set the Stakes – Dice Pool consists of Complication die + Difficulty die

Ion Thruster
  • Complication d6
  • Difficulty d6
Thruster Plate
  • Complication d6
  • Difficulty d6
Raising the Stakes roll for Boscoe looks like this
  • Mental d8
  • Fix d4*
  • Mechanic (specialty) d6
  • Ship's Mechanic d8
* Boscoe's Distinction Miracle Worker: If you replace your Fix Skill with a d4 for your next roll, gain a Big Damn Hero Die equal to that Skill’s normal die rating if your roll is successful.

Note: The "for your next roll" statement sounds weird. Anyone else have an opinion on that?
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by Antman9 »

Edmund – Treat Percy

Perform Recovery Roll
  • Mental d8
  • Treat d10 (Tough Love – spend PP)
  • Honest Man (distinction) d8
  • Belief (signature asset) d6
or
  • Mental d8
  • Treat d8
  • Honest Man (distinction) d4*
  • Belief (signature asset) d6
Note: Gain 1 Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.[/list]

GM Sets the Stakes
  • Complication: Rattled d6
  • Difficulty d4 (if you use the words: cow poop) d6 otherwise
Saving the PP and rolling a d4 to gain another PP would be the best option considering the Stakes dice pool. Even if you fail, the Complication is still removed. Maximize on the options, I say.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”