Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

AleBelly
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

#81 Post by AleBelly »

Hellebore suggests moving along the lake, trying to catch the stream that leads north to town. They walk across the lake, staying about a hundred yards from shore to avoid the chance of surprise attack. The layer of snow offers good footing over the ice. The party heads on about a 15 degree bearing for 1.75 hours, reaching the northern terminus of the lake after traveling at 1.8 mph (including numbers to help with mapping). But there is no stream leading north. This must be another lake - perhaps the one where the "evil nixies" lived. The party forges due north. The sun sets, and darkness falls. The forest at night seems ominous, but at least the branches offer some respite from the precipitation, which has turned to miserable frozen rain.

The terrain begins to turn swampy, and points of light are seen between the trees ahead. After a long, miserable slog through soupy snow, the party sees...civilization! As they cross the treeline and enter the Alleborg safe zone, Hellebore immediately recognizes the place - the hobbit lands of the southwest. Given their current speed, the city is about three and a half hours from here. Their cottage is four and a half. Hellebore's mother's home is about 10 minutes away.

Actions?

Date: 19 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 18:48
Conditions: 34F, west breeze at 7 mph, frozen rain, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect: none
Light bearers: None
Intended Direction of Travel: 15 degree bearing to Alleborg, 0.9 mph, 10.5 miles traveled today
Injury Status: none
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore brightens significantly, having been moody since the Sambords. She is not seeming to mind the cold rain running in rivulets off her braid and taking the last dried cornflower with it into a puddle. "We're near my home! Let us see my mother." She looks to the others considering. "I think we'll fit. We'll also count the treasure there... I'll leave a portion for her care."

If there are no objections, she begins leading them through the quiet roads of the Shire towards the derelict, topsy-turvy cabin on the outskirts.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

"She must have quite the place if we can all fit in it," says Angus. "But I surely wouldn't mind a roof over my head tonight."

"And if there ain't room, we're used to sleeping in shifts. I reckon the hobbits might not mind a little help patrolling the area overnight."
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#84 Post by enn.in.me »

"I reckon I'll fit! Lead on."
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by tkrexx »

I HATE this! Hyde's continual whining about the cold only gets worse once freezing rain sets in. There be ice in my beard, my ears and my boots! I wanna go see Mama Hobbit, too, hah? That be a good plan. She makes a good stew, yeahh, real good, help fend off this wretched cold. I'll patrol, I'll stand watch, so long as there be a warm fire and a roof.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zorroroaster »

"It'll be nice to be warm again." Arnulf shifts back and forth on his feet.

"Is anyone else really tired? I'm suddenly very sleepy. Thank you, Hellebore. And you, Angus. For leading us here. For leading us home."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by AleBelly »

OK. It will be really cramped sleeping quarters, but they should be able to make it work. Please let me know plans regarding a watch (I updated with a proposed watch schedule, but please do edit if necessary). Also your mounts will probably get pretty cold, and if there are stables there they won't fit a mule and a horse.
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by enn.in.me »

We can use our trail blankets for the mounts tonight; that'll at least keep some of the ice off 'em.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion whimpers a bit from the aching cold. She mentions,

Thank you for allowing us to stay. I'll take whatever watch is needed. Especially if we have a fire.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

As the mists recede and you walk forward, the structure behind her looms into view. The improbable settlement is a haphazard collection of half-timber buildings built on stilts. The comfy, round doors and windows in the rounded hillsides of the town you just passed through are gone, the water-logged bog-grass and sphagnum moss squishing up against the large rocks that form the path to the main building.

Hellebore slows her steps, her mind on the last time they came here. "My mother will be glad to see us come home still alive. It makes me wonder, will she know our coming, as she did my sister's?" she muses aloud, cracking some ice from in her hair plait.

She ascends the steps first, pausing to point to a broad hummock off to the side of the trail. "That's where we have the rendering fires. You can light one there and tether the mounts for warmth. Aye, one to watch over them would be good."
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by AleBelly »

Hellebore leads all to their childhood home. In the darkness, the surroundings seem more of a frozen wasteland. They can't quite put their finger on it, until Hellebore realizes many of the windows are dark. One bungalow is burned to the ground. The sounds of evening merriment typical for such a village are absent.

Hellebore's home does radiate light, silhouetting a diminutive figure standing outside, holding a bow. She recognizes Hellebore, even in the dark, from far away, giving her daughter a warm embrace when they finally arrive. Hellebore's mother, face already wizened, looks to have aged five years. Bright red veins clash like lightning against the whites of her eyes. Her hair is unkempt, and the skin hangs even more loosely from her face. After pleasantries have been exchanged, she speaks. "I'm not sure how much longer I can stay here" she remarks. "The bounders have forced many to a central location. Where they can protect better." She looks up, then over the frozen swamp. "All of that damn-fool dancing an singing, why, it'd put me in an early grave. Arlandria looks over me. But it is not enough. Maybe I'll get a coupla those" she laughs, pointing to Redfang. "Now he's a sight!"

The elder halfling can't help but notice the gold and silver sacks. "Looks like you all have done well for yourself, you have. Though I notice a couple are missing from last time. What happened?"

She looks them all over, and is a bit uneasy at the sight of two half-orcs in her place. "They housetrained?" she laughs, a little too loudly, then says. "I got no stables for you, but you can hitch 'em up to the posts out there, poor things. Rest of you can cram in here, though it won't be too comfy. Now, you'll have to excuse my manners, but I'm dead tired. I'll scare you up something good for breakfast."

With that, she plans to depart for bed.

Will try to update again tonight. I'll assume you are watching from the house using the attached schedule.

Date: 19 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 19:00
Conditions: 34F, west breeze at 7 mph, frozen rain, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect: none
Light bearers: None
Intended Direction of Travel: Hellebore's house
Injury Status: none
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#92 Post by enn.in.me »

"Blessings upon you, and thank you for your hospitality."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Zhym »

"Mighty kind of you to put us up," says Angus. "I wonder, though—you reckon them bounders could use another hand at the watch tonight? Truth be told, I'm all tetched up from too much arguing in the morning and wandering around in snowy glop the rest of the day. I'd sleep easier if I could make myself useful somehow."

He looks around at the house, standing alone and vulnerable. "Or maybe it'd be best if I stood watch here tonight."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Tears well up in Hellebore's eyes at her mother's haggard appearance. She takes the bow and sets it aside, ensuring her mother puts on a second shawl against the cold.
AleBelly wrote:The elder halfling can't help but notice the gold and silver sacks. "Looks like you all have done well for yourself, you have. Though I notice a couple are missing from last time. What happened?"
Hellebore tilts her head thinking back upon when the group last came, Hyde carrying Arlandria's body home and to the pyre. It was less than two months ago. "The elf you were fond of was killed, rescuing slaves from the orcs. The priestess who stayed to mend the roof went on to mission at a fort of Men beyond the perimeter. The other elf, well, she broke when magic took her strength and she looked within. Hyde, here, you remember." She motions around to the other new companions, offering their names. "They've joined, since. Good folk, and it is time we handled these orcs."
AleBelly wrote:"I got no stables for you, but you can hitch 'em up to the posts out there, poor things. Rest of you can cram in here, though it won't be too comfy. Now, you'll have to excuse my manners, but I'm dead tired. I'll scare you up something good for breakfast."

With that, she plans to depart for bed.
Hellebore turns to the others, arms protectively around her mother's shoulders. "The Shire needs help more than the Sambords, it seems. Hyde, please get a fire started, and we'll set watch for the night. Angus, if you could see what tracks are about to know what concerns we face. Yenny, if you can bring in and handle that coin? I think we can do plenty of good right here. Who knows when my mother last slept? I'll go get her to rest and return to discuss further..." She helps her mother inside gently.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zhym »

"Aye," says Angus. "Ten'll get you one it's orcs, though. Anyone got a torch or lantern I can use to see with?" He spits into the snow. If someone can provide a light source, he wanders a short distance from the main group but still within sight of them, looking for tracks.
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny hands Angus a torch, and raising a questioning eyebrow reaches out to give him a blessing. She then gathers the treasures from those that have them and heads inside to count, estimate and sort.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde, please get a fire started
Yeahh, yeahh, Hyde quickly and expertly complies. The more fire, the warmer it will get. He looks to Angus. I'll spell ya, hah? When the fire be strong and I've watched over Mama Hobbit a bit? She be feeding us good once she's had some rest. Me and her, we be good pals, yeahh.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion introduces herself, and exchanges pleasantries about the decorating. (She has enough sense to flatter her hostess, no matter how tacky the paisley curtains mixed with the carved bear lamp might be.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by AleBelly »

onlyme wrote:Dandelion introduces herself, and exchanges pleasantries about the decorating. (She has enough sense to flatter her hostess, no matter how tacky the paisley curtains mixed with the carved bear lamp might be.
"Well, I don't pay much attention to decorations. Function is important" she replies.
Zhym wrote:"Mighty kind of you to put us up," says Angus. "I wonder, though—you reckon them bounders could use another hand at the watch tonight? Truth be told, I'm all tetched up from too much arguing in the morning and wandering around in snowy glop the rest of the day. I'd sleep easier if I could make myself useful somehow."
Hellebore's mother smiles at Angus, waving away his gratitude (and that of Yenny and the others, too). "You are the ones showing kindness, watching over an old half-tall. And as for patrolling, I speak these words with the utmost respect, but I do not think the bounders would welcome the help of a loud, clangy longleg. The threats we face they often remove with stealth. But you are welcome to try..."

She pats Hellebore's hands on her well-covered shoulders, and turns to go to bed. Just then, Lorilee pipes up, shocking most of the group. "This is a place of beauty. It would be a shame to see you forced from it. If you'll have me, I'll take my share of the treasure and stay here with you in your home."

Caught off-guard by the offer, the old halfling simply replies "We'll talk tomorrow."

Yenny goes inside to count and sort treasure (inventory given in previous post). Angus takes a torch from her, inspecting the ground. He sees halfling tracks in the snow, but little else that he can make out.

Do I understand correctly that sleeping will take place inside, and a fire is built outside to keep the animals warm (and those keeping watch)?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Zhym »

I thought the watch shifts might be outside, but I don't suppose it matters either way.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”