I. Swallowtail Festival

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Swallowtail Festival

#81 Post by onlyme »

Fulp sees the spears and arrows and rocks flying by, and decides to wait a moment before he engages. He looks around for any more goblins, in the meanwhile.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by hedgeknight »

With a roar, Festus charges, not worrying about the missile weapons as they are likely to arrive before he does. He raises his axe and brings it down on the closest foe > goblin, goblin rider, or the mangy mount.

Battle axe: [1d20+4] = 11+4 = 15, [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#83 Post by dmw71 »

With the goblins distracted by their cowering opponent, the group is able to respond first with the aided benefit of being undetected. Kassal creeps forward a bit, seeks some light coverage, and tosses two daggers at the goblins before pulling out a lock of fleece from a secret pocket in his blue robes. His first dagger sails wide, but his second sticks into the crude leather armor one of the goblins is wearing, wounding it. "These dog-killers are a damnable blight that must be expunged" growls Sylvan as he advances towards the fray. He pulls his spear out of its quiver and, fearing that targeting the mounted goblin may endanger the human victim, hurls it at the trio of emerging goblins, striking and wounding the middle one. Ciar, too, fires into combat letting a sling bullet fly at the group of three goblins. His bullet strikes the same target and at the same time as Sylvan's spear; the two blows killing the foe.

With a roar, Festus charges at the nearest goblin -- the one stuck by the gnome's dagger moments earlier, and he violently strikes it down with a mighty swing his axe.

Sparrow takes aim at the mounted goblin and fires off two shots. His first arrow strikes his intended target, grazing it, but also causing it to reel at the last instant and causing his second arrow to plunk into the humanoid form and eliciting a pained cry of surprise.

Fulp, aware of the daggers, spear, arrows and rock flying by, stands firm in his current position, scanning the area for signs of any other goblins in the immediate area.

The mounted goblin reels in surprise and turns his mount to survey its new threat. The other remaining goblin looks at the party, then to the mounted goblin, then back at the party with a determined look on its ugly, flat face.

The remaining goblins are still approximately 30 feet away from all ranged or holding attackers.

Actions?

Rolls:
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan emits a cry of victory. He pulls his scimitar out of its sheath and taunts the goblins.

"Biz uzaqdan sizi kesilen, lakin indi men sizin üçün boğazını kesdiler isteyirem. Polad, bok baş yeyin!"

For you goblin speakers:
"We felled you from afar, but now I want to slit your throat. Eat steel, shithead!"
He will walk towards them, swinging at the mounted goblin unless he is engaged with another foe.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Storm11 »

"Phantos Spectro Hologos" he chants whilst weaving his hands in the air whilst manipulating the fleece.

Kassal will cast Phantasmal Force creating 5 more images of the cowering human around him in the same position.

When the images shimmer into being around the man he cries "Come to us, RUN FOR IT!" hoping the cover of more of him will encourage the man to action. The gnome will cause the other images to mimick his actions as best he can.
Greys Campaign.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by onlyme »

Fulp attempts to swat at the nearest goblin, but he badly misjudges the distance he must move in before swinging.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by Alethan »

Ciar draws his sword and closes ground between himself and the goblin on foot, swinging once he is able to do so...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by hedgeknight »

Festus charges the goblin rider and attacks...in vain.

Battle axe: [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8, [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#89 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, I will probably continue to make tweaks to this, but it's a start. A decent one, too, if I do say so myself. I like how each 5' square has a label so it will be easier to indicate exact destinations if you want your character to move (though, you may need to zoom in order to read the cell labels).

This reflects the start of round 1 (the current round). I'm just waiting on an update from Sparrow before working on the resolution.

e03r01.png
e03r01.png (40.78 KiB) Viewed 779 times
-- Project --

-- DM --
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by AleBelly »

Very nice! In light of this (hopefully you don't see this as changing stated actions), Sylvan will attack goblin #3. He originally wanted to target the mounted rider, but he's furthest away and instead Sylvan's worried about Festus getting flanked.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#91 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow is visibly upset at his errant arrow. The shot was clear and he was sure it would find its mark. He doesn't snap his bow in half but he does throw it to the ground. He charges the goblin dog and rider while pulling out his sword to attack anything left.

Attack w/ Scimitar [1d20] = 18 Damage [1d8] = 4
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#92 Post by dmw71 »

AleBelly wrote:In light of this (hopefully you don't see this as changing stated actions), Sylvan will attack goblin #3. He originally wanted to target the mounted rider, but he's furthest away and instead Sylvan's worried about Festus getting flanked.
Not at all. Please, anyone, feel free to modify your actions in light of the map providing a new perspective.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#93 Post by dmw71 »

"Phantos Spectro Hologos" Kassal chants, weaving his hands in the air whilst manipulating the fleece he retrieved previously. The gnome's actions result in a quintet of illusionary images resembling the cowering man to appear around the actual man himself. As the images shimmer into being, he cries "Come to us, RUN FOR IT!"

The sudden appearance of all the extra human leaves everyone unexpected momentarily confused, and the actual human male frozen in place.

The goblin rider quickly bounds from the back of his hideous dog mount and urges it to attack, which it does, pouncing on one of the illusionary forms and dispelling it with a vicious bite. The goblin rider and his more cowardly companion both turn their attentions against Festus, their racial enemy. The dwarf is able to masterfully prevent the pair from flanking him, and manages to narrowly escape being struck by the swinging curved blades they each carry. Ciar quickly rushes to Festus' aid, drawing his sword poking wildly at the goblin to the right. Fulp, noticing the halfing rush to the right, veers left and attempts to swat at the goblin rider with his walking stick, but his effort is easily knocked aside. Sylvan emits a cry of victory while drawing his scimitar and taunting the goblins in their own tongue. "Biz uzaqdan sizi kesilen, lakin indi men sizin üçün boğazını kesdiler isteyirem. Polad, bok baş yeyin!" he yells, advancing past the halfing to his right and leaving a space for another attacker should anyone follow him. His scimitar strike, however, cleaves the lowly goblin and voiding the immediate area of any threats. Sparrow throws his bow to the ground in disgust after his last arrow flew errantly, but his anger only further fuels his determination. The dark skinned human rushes at the goblin dog, still busy mauling what once was an illusionary form, and slices into the infested, mangy hide of the ugly beast causing the goblin hound to yelp in pain. Festus and his mighty axe focuses on the goblin rider but the pest proves to be too elusive.

Perhaps because they appear surrounded, the goblin rider and mount give every indication that they are willing to continue the battle.

The updated map for the start of round two is attached.

Actions?

Rolls: Note: I originally had both goblins and the goblin dog all attacking Festus. Thankfully, I forgot about the illusions and rolled to determine the target for each attacker after already rolling for their attacks. Fortunately, the goblin dog is the only one that would have hit Festus, and is the only one that didn't go after the dwarf and turned on the illusionary forms instead.
Attachments
e03r02.png
e03r02.png (69.75 KiB) Viewed 766 times
-- Project --

-- DM --
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Storm11 »

Kassal will continue to maintain the illusion of the man and encourage him to retreat from the goblin and his rider!
Greys Campaign.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#95 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow continues his assault on the disgusting, rabid, gobdog.

Attack w/ Scimitar [1d20] = 16 Damage [1d8] = 2
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by onlyme »

Fulp, frustrated with his recent swings, really puts some muscle behind his latest swat at the goblin.
Staff attack [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18 ; Damage [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#97 Post by Alethan »

If either the goblin or the gobdog still lives, Ciar attempts to dissuade them of this notion...
To Hit, Short Sword [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8 Damage [1d6] = 1
Not a very persuasive swing... hopefully it isn't necessary.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by hedgeknight »

"That's the way to do it!" Festus yells, as Fulp pounds the goblin rider. The dwarf then steps forward (to N3) and brings his axe to bear on the goblin (assuming it is still standing).
If it is dead, he will charge the gobdog and help Sparrow.

Battle axe: [1d20+4] = 13+4 = 17, [1d8+6] = 2+6 = 8
Winter is coming...
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by AleBelly »

"I'm one up one you Festus" cries Sylvan after dispatching the goblin. He'll move to attack the next nearest foe. If both are vanquished, he'll check on the noble's dog, stabilizing it if possible.

Attack with scimitar [1d20] = 15, damage [1d8] = 5
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#100 Post by dmw71 »

The goblin dog remains fixated on Sparrow, but is unable to sink its teeth into his dark-skinned flesh. The rider remains steadfast in its efforts against Festus, squaring up against the dwarf, and manages to sneak its blade past the chain links of the dwarf's armor (private).

Kassal continues to maintain his spell, causing the illusionary forms to move about in as realistic a manner as he can while encouraging the cowering man to escape from the goblin dog and its rider. Ciar remains at the dwarf's side, poking at the goblin rider unsuccessfully. Fulp repositions himself so as to flank the rider with Sylvan opposite him. He brings his walking stick around and catches the rider with a solid, stunning blow. Sylvan, opposite Fulp, proudly taunts his dwarven comrade, reminding Festus that his kill count is one higher... until the count increases to two after a successful swipe of his scimitar is able to dispatch of the goblin rider. At the same time, Sparrow is able to reduce the goblin dog into a bloodied mess with a slash of his own scimitar.

"That's the way to do it!" Festus yells, taking a moment to inspect his wound now that the treat has been eliminated.

The cowering human looks to his fallen dog, then to his own wound following Festus' lead. "Thank you," he says. "They caught me completely unaware." He rises to his feet. "Aldern," he says, brushing some dust from his clothes. "Aldern Foxglove." After introducing himself, he looks around nervously for more goblins, but finds none. "I'll be staying over at the 'Rusty Dragon' across town for a few more days," he says. "You're welcome to join me for a drink -- on me -- any time." He turns to Sylvan. "You were most impressive out there."

Rolls
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”