OOC Chat

Keehnelf
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chat

#81 Post by AleBelly »

OK, understood. I thought it might not be that easy!

I assume Bran will know that Arduin is out looking for other books, so he will spend the summer studying to see what he returns with. Inspired by the magicians around him, he will study The Arcane Initiate over the summer, hoping to raise his abilities in that level.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by AleBelly »

Actually, please scratch the above. I had forgotten Bran's original plan: He is going to review the knot-covered notebook of Salvatus in hopes of getting rid of the spirit that haunts him...
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Keehnelf »

Great--do you mind posting this plan in the appropriate thread so I can keep track of it? Then I can adjudicate the results.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Grognardsw »

Keehnelf wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm Non-magical-art abilities cost 5x for leveling up: so 5 pts in one of those would get you to level 1--sorry for the confusion. It's a weird quirk of the xp system that things progress at two different rates.
Grognardsw wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:18 pm Here is Cugel’s spend of his 5 xp from Spring 1221:

Charm +1 to 3
Guile +1 to 2
Brawl +1 to 4
Latin +1 to 1 (with scribe Shabsai Weil)
Sword +1 to 1
Sorry to return to this again, and I did read the XP and Advancement section on p. 163, but I still am unclear on timing. If Cugel puts all 5 XP to Latin, and studies under the Scribe (a Teacher for Training purposes), does the gaining of the Latin skill happen in Spring or Summer?

If Summer, does that count as a used Season, and the second used Season as Spring was an adventure with Bran? Therefore Fall and Winter must be free Seasons and Cugel can’t adventure in Fall with Bran?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, you've got it. The XP gain for his "adventure" with Bran in spring could include Latin study (I tried to make that clear at the time but I understand it's a bit fiddly and unusual), but it doesn't have to. In either case, Spring counts as an active (xp gaining) season--maybe that's the useful way to look at it? Companions get two seasons doing things that will earn them XP, and must use two seasons for "maintaining life", more mundane things.

So if Cugel earns XP in Latin in Summer (no matter what he chose in Spring), he would be unavailable for adventure in fall and winter due to having used his two active seasons already.

Does that make sense?
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Grognardsw »

Okay, I have groped closer to understanding. So the 5 xp gained for Latin is applied in Spring. I had thought it had to be applied/learned in Summer and blow the Fall adventure opportunity.

So the Summer is non-earning, and Cugel cases the Covenant, considers a con, and seduces a woman or two with Latin sonnets.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Keehnelf »

👍🏼

Return to “The Verdant Springs (Ars Magica)”