terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 001 - Welcome to North Port!

#81 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:47 pm
joertexas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:13 am
terrymixon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm

“I love seeing a master negotiator at work,” Mirek said out of the side of his mouth toward Aden. He somehow kept a straight face.
Elaith grins at Mirek as she picks up the comment. "Well, he is right in this case." She takes a small pouch from her belt, and extracts six gold coins, which she hands to Aden. She repeats the process with Mirek, and then gives six more to Amistad. "That is for today, tomorrow, and the day after. By then, we should be in South Port." She replaces her pouch. "You will find a small bunk area up forward, just ahead of the cargo hatch. Place your gear there, and then you may wish to examine the ship. We have had barges be boarded, especially at night. So, you will need to know your way around the deck."
Aden smiles at Mirek then looks to Elaith still smiling as she hands him gold coins saying "Thanks!" then he puts the coins in his pouch.

Nodding to Elaith, he makes his way to the bunk area and tosses his back pack into a corner along with his bow and quiver. He still has the hand crossbow hooked to his belt and the short sword in a cross scabbard on his hip. He waits for Mirek and Amistad to deposit their gear and leaves the cabin with them.

Aden walks around the barge noting where everything is located. How many crew are aboard and how do they strike him? He goes down into the cargo hold and looks around seeing what is down there...sacks, boxes, crates...and how they are arranged. He might have to negotiate both areas in the dark later.
Mirek puts his gold away and packs his gear. All he retains are his two short swords in their over the should draw harness. He also has a hand crossbow and bolt case hanging from his belt, and a few dagger hilts that show he has other arms.

His step is lighter as he follows Aden and Amistad to look the ship over. He takes some interest in the masts and how the crew climbs them. The heights would make a good place to be if any fighting became too intense.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 900 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

I would like to check on certain supplies. Barrels of freshwater and also lanterns and oil. One of the big dangers of wooden craft is of course fire. So I would like to make sure any lanterns secured to the masts or around the decks are not going to break easy. And all oil and inflammable liquids are securely stored.

Secondly, I will strip down. Even barges like this will have a bilge or place between the lower deck and the hull. Maybe even a visual inspection from getting in the harbour water. Getting holed obviously sinks the ship. So ships will carry cork wedges and shot plugs, even tar and fothering cloth.

He has no particular skill other than an awareness of what rotten wood is like, spotting any leakages seeping from previous repair jobs, how high in the waterline the ship is loaded to a Plimsol line (if ancient craft had that sort or maximum load marker).

With no proficiency just checking by wisdom and common sense.

Amistad checks ship integrity. [1d20+1]=20+1=21

He figures that pirates and bandits will not hijack the craft actually in port so concentrates on other areas of 'security' and profit protection of the merchandise.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Eris »

Aden asks the crewmen if they have made other trips between North and South Port aboard this boat and if they've personally been on a trip that was attacked? If so he'll ask things like:

Attack from another boat or ship, did the attack come from shore, or were the attackers sea creatures?

How many were in the attacker's party?

How were they armed?

Did the attacks always come at night, or did it vary?
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by joertexas »

The trio moves about the barge for a few minutes, and then the Caravan Master arrives. "If you are satisfied that we won't sink, perhaps we can cast off before the tide peaks?"

Generally, the barge appears to be in reasonably good condition, with no obvious damage to the hull. With the load, they have about three feet of freeboard, and there is no rail. Everything seems to be shipshape, with metal lanterns and such. The crew says that they come under attack about one trip in three, but the last four trips have been uneventful. Even so, they don't heave to at night unless it's too dark to navigate. Those are the riskiest times, although they do vary their schedule in an effort to be less predictable.

The attackers are mostly humans, but they've fought orcs, elves, and once, even a dwarven fighter, all attacking from boats or rafts. They all seem to be rather poor brigands, and certainly hail from the badlands that lie between North Port and South Port. Fortunately, none of them were armored, but they did have some very good archers. Between the rugged landscape with dense woods and broken hills, the swamps that surround North Port, and the local inhabitants, it's still much safer to travel down the coastal waterway than to attempt land travel. Elaith relates that there have been numerous attempts to put in a road between the ports, but none of them have been successful.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 pm The trio moves about the barge for a few minutes, and then the Caravan Master arrives. "If you are satisfied that we won't sink, perhaps we can cast off before the tide peaks?"
“Ready,” Mirek said.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:00 am
joertexas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 pm The trio moves about the barge for a few minutes, and then the Caravan Master arrives. "If you are satisfied that we won't sink, perhaps we can cast off before the tide peaks?"
“Ready,” Mirek said.
"I'm never satisfied that a boat won't sink, but this one seems about as sturdy as any I've been aboard." Aden says with a grin, "So, I'm ready to start, as well."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by Darithe »

A lithe pale blonde woman seems to be studying the ship from the docks. She slowly approaches, moving with a steady grace, while noting each person she sees aboard it. She calls to those on the deck, "I've been told I might find employment here. Are you still seeking crew?"
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:56 am A lithe pale blonde woman seems to be studying the ship from the docks. She slowly approaches, moving with a steady grace, while noting each person she sees aboard it. She calls to those on the deck, "I've been told I might find employment here. Are you still seeking crew?"
A tall, dusky woman turns to regard her, and then she walks down the gangplank to the dock. "I am Ustasi, the Caravan Master. I am hiring caravan guards for two thaylers per day, starting now."

There are some illustrations further back in this thread for the two main NPCs and the barge.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Dresses after going into the waters and under the hull to view the ship integrity. Wiping himself down with a towel and gives his report. At least knowing the craft has the necessary tools to fix minor leaks and a 'crash team' can address that while others are above deck, just tick boxes in helping to secure the cargo and people to the destination.

When we get under way, he will take a private moment to do his devotions, praying to his ancestors via a totem figure to thank them for guidance and protection thus far and to receive wisdom and favour for the future. He lays his bedroll out as a prayer mat and goes through some ritual prayers and stances, ignoring the bemused onlookers.

He welcomes the new ranger to the party. We seem well fitted for any range attacks at least.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by Darithe »

"Warm winds to you Ustasi," she grips her hand in greeting, "I am Dree and the position sounds exactly what I am looking for. I travel light so I have all I need if you are setting out soon." Once arrangements are made she will introduce herself to the rest of the crew.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm "Warm winds to you Ustasi," she grips her hand in greeting, "I am Dree and the position sounds exactly what I am looking for. I travel light so I have all I need if you are setting out soon." Once arrangements are made she will introduce herself to the rest of the crew.
Aden watches her with his hood up. When she goes around indroduction herself, he shakes her hand and looks her in the eye, "Aden Quinn, is my name." he says.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Eris »

Eris wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 pm
Darithe wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm "Warm winds to you Ustasi," she grips her hand in greeting, "I am Dree and the position sounds exactly what I am looking for. I travel light so I have all I need if you are setting out soon." Once arrangements are made she will introduce herself to the rest of the crew.
Aden watches her with his hood up. When she goes around introducing herself, he shakes her hand and looks her in the eye, "Aden Quinn, is my name." he says.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 pm
Aden watches her with his hood up. When she goes around indroduction herself, he shakes her hand and looks her in the eye, "Aden Quinn, is my name." he says.
“Mirek.”
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by joertexas »

A tall redhead with a greatsword on her back steps up. "I'm Elaith, second to the Caravan Master." She takes six gold thaylers from a pouch and gives them to Dree. "This is for today, and the next two days after."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by joertexas »

Moving to the next thread...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”