Chapter Nine: Year 300, 6th Day

BackworldTraveller
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter Nine: Year 300, 6th Day

#701 Post by The Bindoner »

And then Nalani's equipment starts to arrive...
Nālani's comm pings in her earbud, announcing the arrival of a delivery, and her demeanour changes from resigned cat-appeaser to excited recipient of a present.

Telling Hoshiko Stay there, then, wilful creature. she shuts the cat in the stateroom and hurries to sign for her new toys.

On her way from the boarding airlock to the cargo module Nalani announces on the crew comm-channel: I have something to find finger-marks on the secure cargo-pod's keypad. If anyone would like to help, we could learn together.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#702 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Zid appears from her interview with Reven...

I know something about fingerprints - oh and Nālani, I'll need you to sit in on my interview with Assana when you are done.

and to Maggie

So what made you join this bunch? - it seems more dangerous than you might have suspected. Oh - And where the guys that got away were hit - if you could refrain from cleaning until someone has had our forensics guys sweep for DNA. This is the least organised crime-scene investigation I have ever been near!

And then she notes Miya sitting at the Crew Mess Table, playing some computer game on her phone.

So who are you exactly? I mean thanks for your help, but...

Miya looks up briefly and replies No Comment.

Just to confirm - Those aboard currently are:
  • Indrani
  • Pranit
  • Nālani
  • Reven
  • Maggie
  • Noor
    plus
  • Assana
  • Zid
  • Miya

Tibbs, The two drivers, Ulrika and the prisoners/corpses all left with the navy.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#703 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 am Zid appears from her interview with Reven...

I know something about fingerprints - oh and Nālani, I'll need you to sit in on my interview with Assana when you are done.

and to Maggie

So what made you join this bunch? - it seems more dangerous than you might have suspected. Oh - And where the guys that got away were hit - if you could refrain from cleaning until someone has had our forensics guys sweep for DNA. This is the least organised crime-scene investigation I have ever been near!

And then she notes Miya sitting at the Crew Mess Table, playing some computer game on her phone.

• Indrani
  • Pranit
  • Nālani
  • Reven
  • Maggie
  • Noor
    plus
  • Assana
  • Zid
  • Miya

Tibbs, The two drivers, Ulrika and the prisoners/corpses all left with the navy.
Arnwulf is in the body shop...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#704 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 am Zid appears from her interview with Reven...

and to Maggie

• Indrani
  • Pranit
  • Nālani
  • Reven
  • Maggie
  • Noor
    plus
  • Assana
  • Zid
  • Miya

Nālani looks startled when Zid speaks, but recovers her composure quickly.

I do not think we are really looking for fingerprints, as such, just finding which keys have been pressed most.

Nālani is reluctant to let Zid get involved. She doesn't know what the module contains, and having a police officer involved in opening it seems like a terrible risk. Buying time to think she gratefully embraces the change of subject:

Of course I will accompany Assana, it is my duty.

Referring to the comment about the lack of respect for evidence preservation: I am sorry Zid, but this is a freelance trader. Time is money, and crime is bad for business. We would prefer to tidy up and pretend it never happened. Her tone is light, self-mocking, but she means what she says.

When Zid addresses Miya Nālani comments: She is my transport. I arrived on her bike just as your car pulled up, remember? A very reliable driver, I have found.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#705 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm When Zid addresses Miya Nālani comments: She is my transport. I arrived on her bike just as your car pulled up, remember? A very reliable driver, I have found.
You definition of reliable still worries me Chisai.

Zid turns to Indrani - Captain: May I have a quiet word?

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#706 Post by joertexas »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:11 pm
The Bindoner wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:03 pm When Zid addresses Miya Nālani comments: She is my transport. I arrived on her bike just as your car pulled up, remember? A very reliable driver, I have found.

"Certainly. Meet me on the bridge."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#707 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:11 pm

I think you are reliable, Zid. Reliable people I have trusted my life to and not lived to regret it.

When Zid and Indrani leave for their conversation Nālani approaches Assana and invites her into the stateroom: Assana, dear, would you come and see if Hoshiko will leave her shelf for you?

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#708 Post by cybersavant »

The Bindoner wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:01 pm When Zid and Indrani leave for their conversation Nālani approaches Assana and invites her into the stateroom: Assana, dear, would you come and see if Hoshiko will leave her shelf for you?
Reven Stiilpahth "Tell her i'm sorry and that i'll get her some treats." Reven checks the local port for online delivery and orders the best cat treats he can afford.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#709 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Maggie

Still there/here.
and to Maggie

Nothing made me join, I received a ship share as a divorce settlement, and decided to see the ship in person. The crew is rather interesting, after the crews in regular Navy service. As to danger, I have already seen plenty. I will see to it that nothing involved with the attackers is disturbed, but there are some items that need immediate attention. Now, if you will excuse me, I must continue the inventory of items needing repair or replacement.

She goes back to list-making.
SpinwardMarch

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#710 Post by ateno »

"Noor, what are you doing, Maggie is cataloging damage, captain's on the bridge."

Pranit

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#711 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Nālani's experiment in fingerprint taking is slowly being constructed in the Hold. (Science (Forensics) Roll Please...any J-o-T or EDU bonus, +2 for slowly)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#712 Post by The Bindoner »

Nālani has more experience confounding these tests (by avoiding leaving such traces) than administering them.

If anyone cares to advise or assist, I shall be grateful.

[_2d6]=(1+4)=5 (No Edu bonus, but +2 Int?)

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#713 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Several visits to the experiment show that the whole thing should be doing what it does - but isn't. After 3 hours, Nālani concludes that something isn't right and it's never going to happen as it is.

In the meantime, Pranit and Maggie have been making an external inspection and have removed the munitions from the main hold by the simple expedient of loading the launchers. Next time someone tries boarding , an exploding sand canister should clear the area.

The good news is that there don't seem to be any holes in the hull that need filling and the hull cracks don't look any worse than they did earlier. The paint, though, is scratched in many places where Pranit, Arnwulf exchanged shots with the attackers. The cameras that were mounted on the hull seem to have taken a beating - The combination of air-car and hanger door seem to have been effective at scraping those away - and there is a rusty stain on the port side that looks like it needs a good wash and attached to a manoeuvre thruster there is the sleeve of vacc-suit (with arm)! An air-raft silhouette is clearly needed somewhere and Zid needs to be officially informed of the extraneous body part.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#714 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Maggie

To Pranit, For repairs, we have a long list. I am relieved that the ship had no major damage. Time to prepare a priority list of repairs and items needing replacement. New external cameras should be near the top of the replacement list. She goes through the various items. We will have to do a lot of cleaning, again, in the passenger and crew areas. Looking at the arm, she will make a note on the data pad, Vacc suit arm, still occupied. Refer for inspction to Zid.
SpinwardMarch

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#715 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The remainder of the day is taken up with straight-forward cleaning, repairs and proper stowage of the ships equipment, such as it is.

It is only the evening - when Zid has finally had all her (unproductive) chats with everyone and has left and Miya finally agrees that Assana has been safely delivered and also departs - that the team get to sit down with each other and review the day.

Assana seems barely able to contain herself, and blurts out that The hack handset that Nālani captured is fantastic. It's real good for sneaking about networks. The Captain she nods to Indrani should really have a go and rescue the ship from whatever is attacking it. And then we can all get going.

Nālani is more subdued. The container is closed and the lock is not revealing its secrets to the contraption erected about the keypad.

Pranit, Reven and Maggie have cleaned up the outside and checked over Engineering and confirmed the work needed to weld the crack - which doesn't seem to have worsened. The hole in the bridge head is fixed.

Noor has said goodbye to Ulrika and ensured she has gone.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#716 Post by cybersavant »

Reven Stiilpahth "So, Captain. What's first?"
gaming since 1980

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#717 Post by joertexas »

cybersavant wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:56 pm Reven Stiilpahth "So, Captain. What's first?"
"Dinner," Indrani says with a wan smile. "Thankfully, the galley is still in one piece. Let's talk while we cook and eat, shall we?" She gathers everyone around the galley, and starts talking as she also starts the evening meal.

"Pranit, you can assign these jobs as you see fit. Let's see, the list. The first issue is security. Although I don't expect another attack, we still need to get our cameras installed, check what security the port has, and we will need to stand a manual watch until we get a computer running again. That's the second issue, and I'll work on it. Third is the hull repairs, and whatever else has to be fixed to make us operational again. I know we have holes everywhere, but let's just do quick patches on anything that doesn't have to be pressure tight. Fourth is the cargo container in the hold. If nothing else, we can cut it open, carefully, of course. The plasma cutters are good about not heating stuff up besides what's being cut." She awaits questions as she goes about preparing their meal.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#718 Post by cybersavant »

Reven Stiilpahth "We could divide up and tackle several areas at the same time."
gaming since 1980

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#719 Post by ateno »

"Let's order some cameras for morning delivery and attach after delivery. Watches, Maggie, you take 8pm to mid, I'll take mid to 4, Reven, 4 to breakfast, armed please.

In the morning, Maggie and I, cameras

Nālani you and Reven are in of charge welding, Captian if you could oversee?"

Pranit

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#720 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:47 pm "Let's order some cameras for morning delivery and attach after delivery. Watches, Maggie, you take 8pm to mid, I'll take mid to 4, Reven, 4 to breakfast, armed please.

In the morning, Maggie and I, cameras

Nālani you and Reven are in of charge welding, Captian if you could oversee?"

Pranit
"If the welders have any questions, I will assist," Indrani says. "Got it."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “A new Heaven? A new Earth (Traveller)”