Comments & Stuff ooc

SpinwardMarch
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Comments & Stuff ooc

#61 Post by ybn1197 »

No problems from me. I live outside of Baltimore and our A/C crapped out just before Memorial Day. We have American Home Shield so most of the replacement cost was taken by them but due to the effects of COVID, we were unable to get a new unit till July 1st. The contractor was able to get over to the house on July 2nd to install it but there were days when it was sweltering in the house. It didn't get as hot as your way but I can sympathize.
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Jernau35 »

Yes, don't worry about us Spin. Just concentrate on staying safe.

I worked in the Persian Gulf for a couple of years and I'm not even sure it got as hot there as it has been on the West Coast.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by spanningtree »

Yeah, I live in Las Vegas. The heat this last week has been crazy. Then, on some nights, monsoons roll in and the humidity jumps through the roof. I feel for you. Also, I saw on the news you have some substantial fires up there. Woof. Take your time, hang in there.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by SpinwardMarch »

It "cooled off" to a balmy 100°F yesterday. Fortunately, sort of, the humidity has been low, 20-30%. Yes, it can go below that; things get really crunchy at that point.

No fires near me...yet. I live in Lake County, the location of the Valley Fire (2015), Mendocino Complex Fire (2018), and others.

I will (try to) catch up this evening. Thank you for your patience.
SpinwardMarch
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Slightly later than expected, but I'm back, with the promised maps! Yes, I draw and color them by hand. It is actually easy for me, since I have a lot of art supplies.

Trivia note: My grandfather was a surveyor for the Coastal Geodetic Survey, following WWI. He packed into the back country of the Cascade range in Washington and Oregon to update the information. He had a mule, loaded with survey equipment and camping gear.

He taught me to read maps at a very young age, I think they are cool.
SpinwardMarch
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by spanningtree »

@GM: Everything okay in your neck of the woods, I see the fires in NorCal are pretty bad.
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Ok, so far.
The "Cache Fire" (Clearlake/Lower Lake, CA) was/is about 20 min from my house. It burned 56 houses yesterday, most were in a mobile home park. As of now, it is 75 acres and 40% contained.

Yes, I will be back to the game, I have been working on the plot and maps.
SpinwardMarch
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by spanningtree »

Good to hear, take your time!
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Finally gave up and used "enlarge" on the laser printer. Add black contour lines and paint in with watercolor pencils... a new map!

I can still draw/paint faster than terrain editors. I grew up reading maps; I was trained by my grandfather, a surveyor for the (US) Coastal Geodetic Survey following WWI.
SpinwardMarch
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by spanningtree »

Looks great!
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#71 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Thanks! There is another map, waiting, until you need it. Whee! Fun with art supplies!

The navigation system indicates where there are settlements. The "F" was one of the places the sub stopped to refill. There is a very small village there, which will be easy to avoid. There will be a few isolated farms scattered back from the ocean. Vanejen has a tech level of 5 (1900-1939).
SpinwardMarch
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by ybn1197 »

Out of curiosity, how are you handling the TL in this area? Do they understand Air Rafts but don't have access to the tech or will they freak out when they see the air raft?
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#73 Post by SpinwardMarch »

The locals know the outsiders (Imperium) have fancy vehicles and weapons. They are not allowed to own or use them, due to agreements with the local feudal ruling families. Eventually, the tech level will be allowed go up, but gradually.

Vanejen regressed following the Long Night, and was only recontacted in 980 (current year=1106). The Imperial Navy built a starbase there, and also a Naval base (closed after it was not needed).

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Long_Night

Also from the Wiki entry for Vanejen:

Vanejen possesses a Technology Level of TL–5.

Common Communication technologies for this TL include: Telephone, radio, and television.
Common Power Generation technologies for this TL include: Electricity, hydrocarbon internal combustion, and the most fundamental atomic energy.
Common Transportation technologies for this TL include:
Land: Ground cars or automobiles and tracked vehicles.
Water: Large ships and submersibles with steel hulls.
Air: Early aircraft including seaplanes and very early unmanned rockets.
The current technological level of Vanejen is 5, equivalent to the Terran period 1900 to 1939 CE. Electronics are rudimentary and gravitics nonexistent. The primary emphasis of manufacturing is mechanical. [2]

"The Vanejenese have jumped from an overall TL–2 to TL–5 in little over a century, in a carefully orchestrated campaign by the Great Families. The major cities can be considered TL–6, although at the very early stages and with significant imports of offworld technology. While much of this increase came from offworld investments and outright purchases by the Vanejenese government, a significant portion is home made. The Vanejenese have shown themselves to be quite capable at adapting local, low-tech industries to high tech concepts. While electricity is still a rarity outside of the major cities, computer technology based on fossil fuel driven steel clockwork has become widespread, among other adaptations. There is also a huge, blackmarket, demand for offworld batteries; to drive the bewildering variety of locally produced machines and vehicles."
SpinwardMarch
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Life has been busy* :roll: , but the game will continue.

Also had automotive issues, including dead battery (and arranging a ride into town for a new one), and having to rotate the tires myself; fortunately, it is a small car.

*many zoom meetings, garden, etc.

I will post an update next week, after I return from the Folsom Renaissance Festival (Folsom, CA). Am taking a brief time travel "vacation" from 2021.
SpinwardMarch
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by spanningtree »

All good! I hope things settle down for you. Hey, the renaissance fair here in Vegas, "Age of Chivalry", is hitting in a few weeks here as well! Unfortunately, with the little man not vaccinated we'll need to miss another year. Going to miss the smoked turkey legs, jousting and marketplace.
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Back from the 16th century, and still healthy. Almost everything is washed, and ready to store for next year. Prepare for at least a week, then spend the following week putting stuff away. As always. It was fun to see old friends.
SpinwardMarch
SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#77 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Managed to sprain my "bionic" ankle last week; the one that I had surgery on in 1999. Pain. It is better now, but continues to remind me that it is pissed off.
SpinwardMarch
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by ffilz »

SpinwardMarch wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:50 am Managed to sprain my "bionic" ankle last week; the one that I had surgery on in 1999. Pain. It is better now, but continues to remind me that it is pissed off.
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by spanningtree »

Hate to hear that, nothing better than injuring one of the parts that enables you to get around. Get better!
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Jernau35 »

Get well soon!

Yeah, legs or back are pretty bad. At least when your arm goes wrong you can try not to use it so much.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Return to “Research Station Gamma (Classic Traveller)”