#61 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

no tools on Captain Bremen.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Markd/On A Mission From Baudh - 08 May 2021

#62 Post by Stirling »

evangelist Kellstrom

I have a spade, hammer, rope and two weeks food, six oil, lantern and cooking gear packed...the boy scouts might have a tepee tent you could buy or one from the guard vaults.

Remember any in town shopping is subject to +20% mark up because we are so far away ( supply and demand),
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by onlyme »

I apologize if this should be in the church thread instead of expedition one

Markd thanks the priest for the scroll and lodging, and he vows again to do all he can to bring back the artifact.

He asks,
Does your magnificant chapel contain any spare provisions we may borrow? Most urgently, a tent or tarp? and might anyone know the weight of the golden artifact? Would Baudh suggest a cart?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Zhym »

Olaf has a shovel, rope, and grappling hook packed on Pony. He (Olaf, not the pony) wields a pick and carries a hammer. So the dwarf is loaded for anything underground.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

As the party does its accounting, Irving steps boldly forward and proclaims, "The only tools anInight requires are his sword and shield and faith, and I possess all of these. However," he adds, "I have also brought a knife, some fine rope, and a mirror." He nods sagely. "Just in case."

During the conversation about cover, Irving frowns. "If the church cannot provide us a tent, I would be happy to buy one. I had purchased one in Durrnberger but it proved too cumbersome to bear while riding, and anyway I stayed mostly at inns, so I left it behind in the care of an indigent peasant a week or so back. If the mule would carry it, I will bring it."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by onlyme »

Once we get a tent (do we even know how big they are?) we should be ready, correct?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:Once we get a tent (do we even know how big they are?) we should be ready, correct?
My answer is, "Depends on the roleplay." I'd assume it is roughly a four-person tent, which is fine for your group if you're setting a watch, in any case.

If you're all set, I'll do the initial post tonight or tomorrow.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

Good point about tent size. How many do we need for all of us? Olaf can't afford one on his own, but might pitch in for one.

Pun not originally intended, but what the heck, I'll own it. :)
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving returns with a heavy bundle on one shoulder. "A tent!" He cries. "The blessings of Baudh are not to be doubted!"

He hands it to Brother Mark to get it mounted on the pack animal, then tucks his thumbs through his belt and takes a deep breath of the humid air. "I am ready to depart! Northeast, I'd imagine?" He says, looking vaguely north.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by onlyme »

Markd nods.
Yes, he does does come through for his followers in need, and then under his breath, most of the time..

and finally after checking gear.
Let us leave on this mission, friends.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Marullus »

The Expedition Begins...

Dawn on 08 May 2021

Markd, 'Captain' Bremen, Irving Malmstein Rosemont the Third, and Kellstrom of Baudh emerge from the chapel, bouyed in their spirits, and joins the dwarf, Olaf Olafssonsson, to pack their gear, inventory their tools, and set out. They head eastward towards the river ford - the only known place to cross the north-south waterway that runs near Gaul. The torrential rain comes down in buckets and everyone is quickly dampened to the skin. The well-trodden road eases their way, however, and they're at the Frogmorton Ford soon enough.

Frogmorton's Ford is a wide spot in the river, three times wider than what can be seen even a mile northward, and so shallow enough to ford on foot, save for the dwarf, under normal circumstances. The river, however, is rainswollen and its muddy currents a challenge even for a grown man. A guardpost along the river watches this wide river-ford, which grants access to the east. It is named for the collective of halflings who have established a sturdy burrow attached to a water-mill along the west side of the river, just north of the watchtower.

You meet Captain Uthred, commander of the Watch Tower; a stolid man with long mustaches drooping to his chainmail tunic. He wears his longbow, longsword, and shield on his back and is keen and attentive to his business. Here on the edge of the last civilized footprint at the last edge of civilization, his business is watch-guarding and war. He looks dubiously at the group. "Ho, there... a bit wet. What business is so urgent?" All others are inside, but movement can be seen through the archer's slits on the tower.

Day: 8 May 2021
Time: 9:00 am
Light source: Sun (Sunset 9:05 pm. Moonrise 9:4am, 27% full, sets at 1:05am. Next Sunrise 5:13am)
Temp: 56 F
Wind: 13-22 SE
Injuries: None
Distance travelled: ~4 miles

Please handle any desired IC interactions (if any) with the halflings or guard tower, and also discuss amongst the party to decide the direction of travel afterwards.

Reminder: Please keep IC threads IC, with minimal necessary OOC captured in red OOC text. Move general banter to the OOC thread.
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Keehnelf »

"Dear sir!" cries Irving, stepping forward immediately. "We come on urgent business from the lord of these lands, the great and almighty Baudh! We have reason to believe a holy relic of the faith lies forgotten in the ruins of a tower in this stretch of country. Any who aid our quest will be rewarded richly in the currency of the spirit. Would you have any news of such a ruined tower or a holy relic of this kind?"

He waits patiently, his chest out and chin up, smiling widely as rain pours over his matted hair and banded armor.

"Oh," he says, after a moment. "We believe it's past the river, so we will probably need to cross the ford at some point." He motions vaguely toward the swollen river.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by onlyme »

Markd stands behind, hoping that his mark doesnt hurt their chances of getting help across the swollen river.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Zhym »

Olaf lets the others do the talking. He stands near Pony scraping muck off of his armor. If he rolls his eyes at Irving's grandiloquent words—well, there are advantages to being in the back and below human eye level.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Stirling »

evangelistKellstrom

Brother Kells steps forward, unhooding his cloak. It is I, Captain Uthred, Brother Kellstrom from the chapel of Baudh. Blessed be you duty here. it is a shame you and the men do make make chapel services more often.

Kells leads his pack mule to the shelter of the watch tower wall and looks over at the Frogmortons burrows. Is every one well Captain? Any travelers come from the East?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Marullus »

Captain Uthred receives the greetings from Irving and Kellstrom, seeming mollified, his posture relaxing slightly. "Well, if you're willing to go that way, Gods speed you well. My men can help you across with a raft and tow-line, water being as high as it is. I can't promise you can get back in a hurry, so I wouldn't suggest changing your mind."

Captain Uthred snorts at the idea of "travelers from the east." "None come that direction in this forsaken land. Kobolds and ogres, getting the idea to come across and steal from the farm fields, mostly. Thankfully, we can get most of 'em in watching the ford and don't need to venture further and waste my men. No towers that I've seen from vantage here, so not much I can say to help you. Stranger apparitions come as well, but thankfully they don't seem to have ability to cross the running water," he makes a sign to Baudh. "Forsaken, is what that land is."

He nods at Kellstrom's concern, though. "Everything doing well here, considering. Three fells just came down the river, got rid of a troll that was bothering us, so that's for the good. The Frogmortons are a tough bunch and good neighbors... probably about their second breakfast about now, and wisely staying dry."

Without further business, I'll advance across the river via raft. What's your bearing after that? Straight northeast?
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving looks a bit uneasy at the mention of "stranger apparitions", but soldiers on. "Thank you for this information--it's very helpful. When you say a-apparitions, what mean you? G-ghosts and such?"

He turns on the side to his companions. "Perhaps these spirits are the ghosts of the dishonored followers of Baudh, and their presence is a sign that we near our goal."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by onlyme »

Markd thanks the man. He prepares to cross and head north east.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Bandobras 'Bandy' Sandybanks

"Not all so wise, apparently," a clear voice calls out, "although I did indeed have my second breakfast."

A halfling appears, half an apple in one hand and leading a small black pony with the other, with a bow slung over one shoulder. A human-sized longsword can be seen jutting out from behind the other shoulder, strapped to a backpack with a complex assortment of leather belts. It appears to be quite balanced, regardless. Rain beads and rolls off well-oiled chainmail, where it isn't covered by a dark green cloak.

"Name's Bandobras, but you can call me Bandy. Distant cousin of the Frogmortons by way of Menegilda's uncle Birlow. Saw you coming this way a bit ago and figured you were probably headed east for some reason or another. Always wanted to see what was east of here; figured I'd see if you could use another sword."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

Olaf's muddy brow wrinkles. He reaches back to make sure his pick and crossbow are on his back and reaches down to the hammer at his belt. "Much obliged, but I don't use swords and still got me weapons," he says, a little relieved. "Ach! I got an idea! Instead o' givin' us yer sword, how about ye join us?"

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”