Action Thread 9

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 9

#61 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard, deep in prayer, hears Till say his name. He opens one eye and says 'Shinare has not given me an opinion on the matter, but I think we should investigate the temple. Now shush, little one, as I continue my prayers.' He closes his eye and resumes muttering under his breath.

OOC: Ron, I assume that Bruard has served his goddess well and will get all of his spells back? I'm thinking of taking 'hold person' in place of 'slow poison'.
OOC: Ummm... temple = tower?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Argennian »

After resting, Yosef will memorize 2 Magic Missile spells and keep his Mirror Image spell for their incursion into the tower. He will make sure to restock the arrows he used within the tomb from the extra lot he brought along and help out with breaking down the camp and preparing to move forward.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#63 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Ummm... temple = tower?
Yes... sorry... I was thinking tower, but wrote temple. I'm tired (and my day just started).
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

After camp is packed up, Till will lead the party towards the tower. He'll keep a vigilant eye out for any marauding ghouls (do they even come out in the day?) as he makes his way... west, is it?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

Just checking, Eyman is going on one of the DAMs and is coming for the ride?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#66 Post by ToniXX »

Before the party disembarks, Bruard speaks up regarding Eyman: "Our friend Eyman here is still in bad shape. If we move him now, I feel we may do more damage to his still frail body. I think he either needs more attention from Shinare or he should stay behind. Curing him should help him so that he can move with us, buy beyond that I can't imagine him being much help for a few more days. What say you?"
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Before the party disembarks, Bruard speaks up regarding Eyman: "Our friend Eyman here is still in bad shape. If we move him now, I feel we may do more damage to his still frail body. I think he either needs more attention from Shinare or he should stay behind. Curing him should help him so that he can move with us, buy beyond that I can't imagine him being much help for a few more days. What say you?"
"I don't think we should split up the party, especially in ghoul hunting grounds. See what more you can do for him, Bruard, and if that works, then we'll bring him along with us. Once we're nearer the tower, we can set up another camp where he can rest with Ancor and Rosin can tend to them while we clear out the infestation of foul creatures."

"If that doesn't work," he pauses, "then... well, we can consider setting up a more secured camp around here, but we should probably leave Van to watch over them, as well. Our preference would be the former, rather than the latter, of course."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:Before the party disembarks, Bruard speaks up regarding Eyman: "Our friend Eyman here is still in bad shape. If we move him now, I feel we may do more damage to his still frail body. I think he either needs more attention from Shinare or he should stay behind. Curing him should help him so that he can move with us, buy beyond that I can't imagine him being much help for a few more days. What say you?"
"I am in agreement with Till. The wellfare of all of our party members must take precedence, friend Bruard. If you feel he can be moved safely after the application of another curative spell, then we will do so. If not, we should remain here until such time as it would be safely accomplished."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#69 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard turns back to Eyman and kneels at his side. He puts a hand on Eyman's chest, the other grasping his holy symbol, and says a prayer:

Cure light wounds: [1d8] = 4
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning

CLW used, and with Eyman stable enough to move I'll move you guys on.

Though the day is bright and cheery, Eyman looks white and terrible, and has to be lashed onto the DAM. More another parcel than a rider. He bobbles back and forth, but Rosin and Ancor use their "too drunk to ride" techniques and are able to get him stabilized in the saddle. Within 45 minutes you are in sight of the pass. Another 45 and you'll be there.

A single mountain with a long spur marks the entry of the mountain pass from the north. At the edge of the spur, closes to the mountain pass entrance, a crumbling stone outpost is clearly visible. The outpost is walled with several structures inside including a deteriorating watch tower. The outpost was obviously used by someone who inhabited the northern plains, but looks to be quite abandoned at this time. Jeloon recognizes barbarian stonework. It has fallen into disrepair from neglect. The gates are weatherworn and hang open. There is no discernible movement in the bright daylight. It looks like, from this distance, most, maybe all, of the doors and window are completely broken, hanging off of hinges, swinging loosely in the wind.

The outpost wall is six feet in height, it circles the tower (and it looks like some other buildings) at, what Yosef can see is a 120' diameter. The wall is constructed of stone and there was once a parapet of wood fastened to the inner portion of the wall, but that is broken and lies in ruin all around. The wall has collapsed in numerous sections and access to the buildings inside the wall looks pretty simple. To each side of the open gates is a short 10' tall tower which offer overhead cover.

That's about all you can see from this vantage point.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon & Derek; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (none lit), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Till will motion for the others to stay back. He loosens his sword in its scabbard then slips into the shadows and approaches one of the openings in the wall (not the main entrance) to get a better look at what is inside the compound. He'll stay alert to any noises, sounds, meeping, moaning, or anything out of the ordinary. If he hears any such thing, he'll immediately stop in his tracks and try to ascertain where it is coming from.

At no time does he lose visual contact with Yosef, counting on his elven friend to keep tabs on him should anything jump out of the rubble or what have you.

He is interested in noting if there are any buildings that definitely appear to be separated from the others (not connected above or below ground) and that might be defensible. That is where we might want to set up temporary camp (unless anyone objects to such a tactic) and hole up Eyman with the hirelings and Van while the rest of us explore the ruins.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Argennian »

"Be careful, Till!" whispers Yosef to his halfling companion as he begins to move out.

Yosef immediately moves up to where he can more easily observe Till during his reconnoiter into the ruins. He keeps an arrow nocked and ready but will also keep the elvish command for his magic missile spell on the tip of his elven tongue if he spots something that seems unnatural or seemingly-impervious to normal weapons.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by migellito »

Jeloon nocks an arrow and stays out of sight, watching Yosef for a sign of trouble.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

Day 15 – late morning

Yosef keeps a watchful eye on Till as he makes his way, in the shadows of the wall, to the rubbled section nearest the broken gates, in the southeast of the wall.

He can see Till peek in and, without nervousness take a good long gander at what might be going on.

I'm going to send a PM at this point.

HPs: Jeloon - 24/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19; Derek - 36/40
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Derek: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Jeloon & Derek; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 31 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch (none lit), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-4/5, 2-4/4
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by Alethan »

Till quietly and carefully makes his way back to the rest of the group and relays the following information...

"Alright, gents (and ladies), here are my observation notes, taken with my trusty stubby pencil and scrap of parchment...

There were no unusual sounds coming from anywhere in the walled compound.

There are two smaller structures west of the tower, each about 15' square. They both have openings that face the central tower and windows on that same side.

There is one larger structure east of the tower, about 20'x50' or so in size. It has an opening on the south side (facing the opening in the wall that Till peered through). It has windows that face the tower in the center.

There is one larger structure north of the tower, about 15'x40' or so in size. It appears to have an opening just on the south side of it, facing the central tower. It also has windows facing the tower.

There are openings in the circular wall just to the east of the gates (where Till did his observations), at the NW corner of the northern-most building to the west, at the NE corner of the eastern building, and at the NE corner of the northern building.

The tower is in the dead center of the circular wall, the entrance being about 50' from the front gates.

From what I can tell, all windows and doors are destroyed or removed."

Till draws a quick picture of the compound in the dirt... (see attached)
Abandoned Outpost.JPG
Abandoned Outpost.JPG (165.3 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
(Nothing there is copied from the PM Ron sent me; he gave me a picture and I made brief notes about it, so it's all just my observation on images (well, excepting the sounds... he did say there were no unusual sounds. Ok, then I decided to just attach the picture. :) )
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#76 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard examines Till's diagram in the dirt, and occasionally looks up at the fortress, then back to the drawing. "Excellent work scouting, Till." He asks the rest of the party "How shall we proceed? Keep in mind there may be catacombs below this fortress that we obviously know nothing of at this point."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by migellito »

"I say we look into those two towers next to the main gate first."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Argennian »

Yosef studies Till's dirt drawing and looks back toward the ruined structures. After a moment of contemplation, he responds in turn. "Aye, we still have plenty of daylight left. Let us move forward, en force, and clear out each structure. Once we are sure that no obvious dangers lurk within the ruins at ground level, we can begin to search for concealed trap doors and such. The guard towers are as good of a place as any to start with but my interest remains drawn to the main tower. I would hazard a guess that if there was any subterranean levels, they would be accessed there. Regardless, the main tower would offer the best vantage point for the surrounding environs. I hope that if any living dead are here that Till is correct in his assessment of them not wanting to come out into the daylight."

Yosef adjusts his gear, making sure that the Wand of Fire is properly present at the front of his beltline for quick access. He keeps his bow and an arrow to hand and prepares to follow the others in. "Perhaps we should leave Van, Ancor, Rosin and Eyman right here for now until we can confirm it is safe to move them up?"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:Yosef studies Till's dirt drawing and looks back toward the ruined structures. After a moment of contemplation, he responds in turn. "Aye, we still have plenty of daylight left. Let us move forward, en force, and clear out each structure. Once we are sure that no obvious dangers lurk within the ruins at ground level, we can begin to search for concealed trap doors and such. The guard towers are as good of a place as any to start with but my interest remains drawn to the main tower. I would hazard a guess that if there was any subterranean levels, they would be accessed there. Regardless, the main tower would offer the best vantage point for the surrounding environs. I hope that if any living dead are here that Till is correct in his assessment of them not wanting to come out into the daylight."

Yosef adjusts his gear, making sure that the Wand of Fire is properly present at the front of his beltline for quick access. He keeps his bow and an arrow to hand and prepares to follow the others in. "Perhaps we should leave Van, Ancor, Rosin and Eyman right here for now until we can confirm it is safe to move them up?"
This is all good with Till. Maybe have all of the hirelings move up against the nearest canyon wall where they can find someplace good for a defensive position?

Till suggests going in through the southeastern break in the wall and examining that eastern building first.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Just to add to the previous entry...

If the goal is to check out the two gate towers/structures first, then that's where I'd go in.

But that also puts us in view from just about every window and doorway in the circle. If we want to be at all sneaky, then we should probably use the next opening (the smaller one in the northeast section of the wall), where it enters the compound behind the two larger buildings and out of direct line of sight from most windows and doors.

Of course, we're going to have to step into view to go into any of the buildings, so maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

I'm still fine with the first opening to the right of the gates. We might want to check out that large eastern building first, though, as it opens up right as us as we enter...

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”