Action Thread 10

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 10

#61 Post by saalaria »

Varkos takes the oil and keeps in the passage with Al.
can you take this as amendment to earlier post Ron?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:16 a
Round 1

Son of Thunder gets off the first attack, able to crack through a branch on the tree, splintering it’s bark, and toppling over. The tree, to his surprise, topples to the ground unmoving, with a moaning sigh.

Al’Zur and Varkos move into the passage, but the trees move toward them as well. There seem to be dark knots in the bark resembling eyes, but the duo can’t be sure how the creatures see them. Luckily they both have oil and have moved back into the passageway.

The cleric and the druid, meanwhile, douse their trees in oil. And Ilhalevar encourages all to back up into the passage.

The trees move to attack. But at this point only one tree can attack, and it’s only real target is (of course) the Ranger. Its branches flail back and forth, though two of the bigger ones seem more coordinated attempting to strike him. While one misses, the other slams into Son of Thunder for a measley 1 hp of damage. (Yeah, slammed might not have been the best word to use there. :) ).

Two trees have oil slicks on their front (noted by black “O”s on them) and one tree is down (noted by the red “X”). The rest move to attack. The three in the middle cannot do anything, but the three facing Al’Zur and Varkos can attack and be attacked next round, and the two facing the rest of the party can do the same. The one behind the felled tree can move up in round three to attack.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (31.71 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Zafalia has a torch, I’m not sure where Son of Thunder put his and Wulfgard still has his lamp - these are your sources of light, besides the glowing moss. Please mark the oil off your character sheets. Everyone attacks on initiative for Round 2. Please declare actions and make the corresponding rolls. Thanks!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
MO (10’): Odo; Zafalia; Rake; Varkos; Ilhalevar; Al'Zur; SoT; Wulfgard
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 23 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 24 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 23 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-3/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard throws a torch at the nearest oiled tree.

Son of Thunder gave Wulfgard a torch last round.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar, unable to attack, turns and watches from the other direction to ensure nothing surprises them from behind.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger, satesfied that everyone is safe for the moment, and noting the lethargic movements of the demon-trees, back-pedals into the entrance where not more than one foe can attack at a time, so the torch can be thrown as planned. His eyes are wide, darting back and forth to the felled tree to the live ones. Did you hear? He gasps with no small amount of the chill of fear in his voice. Did you hear it when it died??

HP adjusted.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Argennian »

"Sadly, I did," Zafalia replies coldly, nodding her head somberly at the ranger. Her tears no longer flow and she grits her teeth in resolve as she tosses her torch at the other oil-soaked tree. "Whomever or whatever is responsible for... this... will pay with their wretched lives!" growls the tiny little druidess, galvanized as she watches the fire cleanse the evil abominations!

OOC: Ron, due the "trees" slow, lethargic movement, do you require Zaf and Wulfgard to make thrown attack rolls or can it be assumed that they could just do a simple underhand toss of the torches?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by rredmond »

By moving back into the tunnels, there's no way the torch will miss.
The trees are focused in attack, and coming at you. Even a critical miss would result in the torch just lying on the ground to be picked up.
The tree will likely block the whole passage, so no, if you are tossing torches at the first tree entering the passage, no rolls needed.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by saalaria »

Ron - you got my throw action from the PM presumably - is it held to next round as movement was this round? If so:

Whilst preparing to throw Varkos says to Al:

"Do you have a flint and torch so you can light this up?"
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by rredmond »

saalaria wrote:Ron - you got my throw action from the PM presumably - is it held to next round as movement was this round? If so:

Whilst preparing to throw Varkos says to Al:

"Do you have a flint and torch so you can light this up?"
Yes I did. I need to oil up that tree in front of your character. Thanks!
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Nuke66 »

"Aye, I have a spark, but nothign to light, have you a torch?" Al'Zur asks Varkos. "Meanwhile, let's back up a bit."
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by saalaria »

Once he has thrown the oil, varkos backs up, trying to get e torch and give it to Al, he will then defend the elf, whilst he is lighting th torch. We'll keep backing up to stay out of melee. Varkos will also glance behind frequently in case anything approaches from behind.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:17 a
Round 2

While Illhalevar watches their backs, the party retreats into the passageways and act. The druid and cleric toss their torches and get two (darn it) trees aflame.

As the trees advanced, the torches were thrown and the oil flamed up. The northern sect of the group gets off two torches while Varkos and Al’Zur are able to light their torch and toss it at the end of the round. That tree too goes up in flames.

These seems to make the other trees back off. But the trees on fire, keep moving forward. The fire seems to have slowed them even more, but the angry moaning noises have become angrier, definitely more unhinged.

The trees on fire are moving in to the passageways. The map looks more cramped than it really is. You are all safely back into your passageways, no other enemies seemed to have crept up on you yet... though the fire makes an awful racket and wonderful smoke and smells.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (31.84 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Wulfgard still has his lamp for light, besides the glowing moss.Everyone attacks on initiative for Round 3, except for the specialized folks, if they want to use their spec weapons, it’s a two attack round. Please declare actions and make the corresponding rolls. Thanks!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
WIH: Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Odo: short sword; Rake: long sword
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 22 minutes (SoT), 40' radius; lamp 23 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 22 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-3/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by saalaria »

Varkos will attack the tree on fire:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 Dam [1d8+5] = 8+5 = 13

Wooh - max and max!

In case he gets two:

: Longsword [1d20+3] = 6+3 = 9 Dam [1d8+5] = 2+5 = 7
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by tkrexx »

The sighs of the dying demon-trees has the Ranger's blood in a boil. His battle-cry rings about the chamber as his spear lashes toward a separate target from Varkos.

To hit: [1d20+2] = 5+2 = 7, damage with WS spear, large: [1d8+3] = 1+3 = 4
To hit: [1d20+2] = 20+2 = 22, damage with WS spear, large: [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Zhym »

Wulfgard gets a weird idea into his head. Could there be such things as undead trees? He figures it's worth a shot. More so than trying to bash a tree with wood, anyway.

Wulgard attempts to turn the trees.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

"The fire! ... Their cries! ... Tis a song of sadness and relief within the madness!" the halfling druid exalts with tears of joy welling up in her tiny brown eyes. She retrieves her last vial of lamp oil and another torch, working to get it lit as quickly as she can. "More fire! ... To burn and wash away the evil affront to nature and the Earth Mother herself"!

OOC: Druid Firestarter Factor Alpha mode, Ron!! :ugeek:

Hehe, marking off torches and lamp oil from character sheet!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by rredmond »

Sorry folks. Going to try and move this along later tonight or early tomorrow.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by rredmond »

Day 2 – 7:18 a
Round 3

Sorry for my absence again. I’m going to try and stick to an, at least, Tuesday and Thursday DM posts schedule. I’ll try to do more, but if I know I have to on Tuesdays and Thursdays, that will give me more structure and thereby give y’all much more fun gaming. At this point in the RL job I’m pretty certain I can commit to that. I’m not going to use the word “definite” in any form, as that would cause everything to go kablooie.

Three trees ablaze and one down the party regroups and fights on.

As Wulfgard concentrates, holding his holy symbol, Varkos steps up to the tree in front of him, fully ablaze, and with one strike of his sword fells the tree. Cracking and crackling sounds of fire and wood breaking echo throughout the chamber as the tree falls.

On the other side of the room from Varkos, Son of Thunder repeats his thrust and push maneuver with the spear. He misses his first attempt, quickly recovering for a second!
Al’Zur meanwhile is able to hit with his long sword one of the approaching trees, taking a notch out of its trunk.

Tears streaming down her hobbit cheeks, the druidess can barely believe herself, preparing oil and quickly lighting another torch from the embers of the poor felled tree in front of her. Though not to her liking, she knows of some druids who believe in the practice of swailing to save a forest from itself. Illhalevar watches the rear to ensure that they aren’t taken by surprise.

The two trees in front of Zafalia and SoT attack, as well as the one tree in front of Varkos and Al’Zur. The flail branches, each getting two strikes in a piece! But only the tree not in flames is able to hit, and it strikes Al for 6HPs of damage, hurting him bad and knocking him back a couple paces.

Then Varkos brings his sword into play again, but can’t convert the second strike into a hit. Son of Thunder on the other hand, is able to knock out a sizeable chunk of trunk out of the flaming tree in front of him but not quite knocking it down.

The flames though, continue their work as they start to burn down. Smoke rising from the tree in front of Zafalia, but as bits of flaming bark fall from Son of Thunder’s spear, so does the tree in front of him. The tree succumbs to the flames falling, quite gently to the ground and, as an exhaling sigh is heard, for a moment the ranger and druid smell a smell they know well, a dewy forest on a quiet morning.

Meanwhile, the other trees move up to the fray. But, for right now, they are careful to avoid their flaming brethren.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (32.56 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Someone please roll initiative. Wulfgard still has his lamp for light as well as the glowing moss and lit up trees. Everyone attacks on initiative for Round 4 and this is a one attack round for Varkos and Son of Thunder. Please declare actions and make the corresponding rolls. I’ll send out PMs to folks who haven’t posted in a bit. Thanks!

[/b]HPs: Varkos - 14/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 1/7; SoT - 14/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Odo - 17/17; Rake - 6/6
Consumables: Hooded lantern (Zafalia) - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 48 minutes OUT, 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (SoT) OUT, 40' radius; lamp 22 minutes (Wulfgard) 20’ radius; Torch, 60 minutes Zafalia, 40’ radius OUT.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”