Character Creation

Eris
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#61 Post by Marullus »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:29 pm Thank you for the advice Marullus! I think Breastplate (AC14) only allows +2 from Dex right? So I could go with a Chain Shirt (AC13), and end up with the same AC?
All the medium armors limit your Dex bonus to +2. So, Chain Shirt is 13+2= 15. Scale Armor is 14+2 =16 bus has disadvantage on dex/Stealth. Breastplate is 14+2 =16 without disadvantage. Light armor allows your whole Dex bonus, so studded leather is 12+3 =15 so just as good as a Chain shirt.
Edeldhur wrote: From your experience, what would be more useful? An armor +1, or a weapon +1? :D
...I would normally go with a weapon over armor. Some 5e monsters are only harmed by magic weapons. But i don't know if the DM is using those rules.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by shaidar »

Personally I think cantrips should be left as-is, or if you have to roll they get some kind of bonus.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Edeldhur »

Marullus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:17 pmAll the medium armors limit your Dex bonus to +2. So, Chain Shirt is 13+2= 15. Scale Armor is 14+2 =16 bus has disadvantage on dex/Stealth. Breastplate is 14+2 =16 without disadvantage. Light armor allows your whole Dex bonus, so studded leather is 12+3 =15 so just as good as a Chain shirt.

...I would normally go with a weapon over armor. Some 5e monsters are only harmed by magic weapons. But i don't know if the DM is using those rules.
Got it and got it - apparently I was looking in the wrong place regarding the armor max Dex bonus :P
Thanks!

So dual wielding does not allow the option to use the off hand weapon to parry for example?
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Edeldhur »

shaidar wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:55 pm Personally I think cantrips should be left as-is, or if you have to roll they get some kind of bonus.
How would it be 'as-is'? :)
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by shaidar »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:38 pm
shaidar wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:55 pm Personally I think cantrips should be left as-is, or if you have to roll they get some kind of bonus.
How would it be 'as-is'? :)

I mean no roll required :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Marullus »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:36 pm So dual wielding does not allow the option to use the off hand weapon to parry for example?
No, not as such.

There is a Parry maneuver that is part of the Battlemaster fighter sub-class that you can pick at 3rd level (so not in the Basic Rules). That sub-class lets you do special moves 4x per Short Rest, and Parry is one you can pick. It does 1d8 damage reduction as a Reaction instead of higher AC.

Parry. When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die + your Dexterity modifier.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:17 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:29 pm Thank you for the advice Marullus! I think Breastplate (AC14) only allows +2 from Dex right? So I could go with a Chain Shirt (AC13), and end up with the same AC?
All the medium armors limit your Dex bonus to +2. So, Chain Shirt is 13+2= 15. Scale Armor is 14+2 =16 bus has disadvantage on dex/Stealth. Breastplate is 14+2 =16 without disadvantage. Light armor allows your whole Dex bonus, so studded leather is 12+3 =15 so just as good as a Chain shirt.
Edeldhur wrote: From your experience, what would be more useful? An armor +1, or a weapon +1? :D
OOC: Actually, I am having some monsters only harmed by magic weapons and half damage for some unless the weapon is silvered. However, if anyone wants magic anythings, they'll have to find (or buy) them during play. Yes, I know some of the folks moving in from the older game have some +1, but they already earned them. However, keep in mind that +1's to weapons, armor, cloaks, etc. will show up fairly regularly in 5e games, so you should be able to pick something up fairly soon.

Now, about upgrades to your PC's starting Armor, Weapons, Whatever. Don't push it! You have perfectly good PC's to play with you don't need to try to buff up your characters more than they currently are.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Is studded leather instead of leather okay at third level?

I wasn't suggesting you allow him the 200gp Breastplate, just stating its the best he can aspire to. :)
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by Eris »

Marullus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 pm Is studded leather instead of leather okay at third level?

I wasn't suggesting you allow him the 200gp Breastplate, just stating its the best he can aspire to. :)
I'll go as far as studded leather. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:57 am Zennys Sunbelly
Zenny.jpg
Rex, awesome!

Do you want her and Hellebore to be sisters? If we're coming on the same boat from the same other city and both trafficked illicit circles, we at least should know each other. I'd love to play off each other.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Rex »

Sure, sisters sounds good. I decided to go with the dark halfling look and call her sunbelly. Couldn't help myself.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Marullus »

Awesome! This will be great. :)

This is what I had for her so far.
Hellebore Thistledown's Personality Traits:
I 'm used to helping out those who aren't as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.

There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.

Hellebore Thistledown's Ideal(s): No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence. (Chaotic)

Hellebore Thistledown's Bond(s): Knowledge didn't come free - I owe a favor to a very bad person.

Hellebore Thistledown's Flaw(s): Mage-splaining really is a thing. It's when you talkd down to people and explain things they didn't ask you to, because I assume I know more than you.
Hellebore was a bright, nimble girl with an irrepressable love for books and knowledge of all things. She loved that books told her history and taught her magic. She loved that plants contained secret knowledge which she could coax into being medicine. She loved using knowledge to cure ailments and restore health. While she developed an expertise in magical understanding and a thorough knowledge of history, nature, and medicine, the search for knowledge does not always lead to licit deeds. Her hunger for the arcane led her to both scholar halls and seedy black markets, to "understandings" with shady undercommon aquirers and the ability to understand the cant of fences, brokers, and thieves.

...but she chafed at never, ever leaving Fallcrest.

Now the call has gone out, and she knows it's for her! She cannot contain her excitement at joining with others and seeking an adventure, having come up from Fallcrest with a boat caravan only today. Knowledge is meant to be discovered - by any means needed.
If you are the dark, gritty, full-thief sister, I imagine you are the older one. Probably helped arrange her gig with the sages to get her out of "the life." Her effervescent nature and intellectual focus are a privilege gained under your protection (useful as they are).

Do you want to be the Thistledown sisters, or pick a different name? Maybe "Sunbelly" is her underworld alias? :lol:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

We can use Thistledown as their real life names and I will use Sunbelly as an alias. In general we don't tell anyone we are related until we know and trust them I would think.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Marullus »

Sounds great! :)

...did I know you were coming (same boat) or did I try to run off without you?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rex »

Interesting idea. Do you have a history of running off? Perhaps you were scouting ahead and I came along as soon as possible?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 pm Interesting idea. Do you have a history of running off?
...depends how overprotective you are. :) Hellebore is probably prone to chasing opportunities in ways you consider unwise.
Rex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 pm Perhaps you were scouting ahead and I came along as soon as possible?
Also fair. This establishes they instead have a more tight-knit trust and teamwork.

(The only thing that matters is, as we start and introduce characters, am zi expecting to see you arrive. Though, if we pretend not to know each other until we trust others even that can unfold in play.)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rex »

Keep in mind that Zennys has a 10 Int and 9 Wis. So not the brains of the duo. I would say you were expecting me, but wouldn't want anyone else to know that. They certainly look different enough to pass as unrelated and probably have different enough personalities to reinforce it. Interestingly enough they have the same Chr, so probably both similar in their people skills and approach to interactions.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by shaidar »

Sorry if I missed this so where... how do determine starting money. I looked at the printout I saved from that we page and I can't see it there. Is it as the basic rules?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Rex »

I missed it to as I don't have any coin either.

I also have more equipment than I want to carry (78 pounds of equipment for a 37 pound person seems excessive even if the rules say she can carry 102 pounds). Although I know the encumbrance economy for 5e is very broken for anyone not of average size and everybody seems fine with it it is one of those things that always makes me cringe. Can I just sell some back for 1/2 price or something?
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Eris »

shaidar wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:35 pm Sorry if I missed this so where... how do determine starting money. I looked at the printout I saved from that we page and I can't see it there. Is it as the basic rules?
Basic gives a starting wealth. You've all got free equipment, weapons and armor, so I'm not going to even decrease this amount.

Starting Wealth by Class, or take a standard amount in ()
Cleric 4d4 × 1d6 gp (35 gp)
Fighter 5d4 × 1d6 gp (44 gp)
Rogue 4d4 × 1d4 gp (25 gp)
Wizard 4d4 × 1d4 gp (25 gp)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “The Silver Vale (5e)”