IC:2 A lost love

Leitz
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC:2 A lost love

#61 Post by Rex »

Farid

Farid draws his sword, checks its balance with efficient strokes and settles into a dueling stance.

"Ilyas bin Salih! You cur! Stand your ground like a man for a change."

He strikes as Ilyas brings his sword into a defensive position.

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(3+3+1+2)=9
Invoked aspect +2
0, 0, -1, -1 +3 +2 = +3
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rex »

Farid

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(4+2+6+1)=13
0, -1, +1, -1, +3 = +2
Not sure if I get the +2 for his aspect to this roll.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Leitz »

Be advised that I'm using the rolls given, and this is how I interpreted the rolls. However, you all can spend Fate Points, if you have them, to re-roll or to add a +2, or whatever you want to do with Fate points. So, you can change the flow of the battle, if you like. So far each fight is mano a mano, so they don't impact each other.

Moldy bread and cold mutton went flying as Louis loudly marched down the table. One trencher landed in the cold fireplace, gray ash poofed out and then settled on a smelly pile of mangy furs.

Despite the noise and confusion of benches, bowls, and full bladders, Diego sprinted to one of the prone forms. He yanked the key from the man's waist, pulling the sleeping form's loose belt out, and then sprinted out of the door. The man smiled as his hands went to his waist. He muttered groggily, "I knew you wanted it again."

For those who care, Diego's deftness seems born of natural athletic talent, and not skill as a thief.

Ilyas bin Salih roused quickly, seeming to recognize Farid's voice of command. "Cur! Me? I am the one who has a home to be welcome to!" He yelled, drawing his konchar and grinning at Farid. The two men squared off, knowing only one of them would see the sunset. Ilyas feinted slightly and then thrust deeply, knowing his blade had range and Farid's curved blade needed more effort in a parry. Farid's kaftan flowed wide as he spun into his enemy's thrust, his sabre barely stopping the blow.

Farid's graceful spin brought the razor edge of his saber crashing down on Ilyas' exposed throat, but the blow was blocked by a mad scramble of defense as Ilyas sought to recover from his lunge.

Ilyas totaled a 2 vs Farid's Fight defense of 2 (the Aspect was spent on Farid's attack roll), thus they tie. no damage to Farid, Ilyas gets a boost. Farid attack 3 vs 1 (Ilyas has Fight 3 but rolled like you guys), so Ilyas spent his boost on the defense, tying Farid. That gives Farid a boost, a +2 that can be used shortly, due to Ilyas' over-extension.

Louis' hopes of a manly duel were dashed as Carlo stumbled into a pile of clothing and pulled out a pistol. The flash in the pan was just beginning to smoke as Louis rolled out of the way of the heavy lead ball. He heard it whiz by and saw the cloth patching it had been set in land gracefully near his left hand, still smoldering. Louis leveled one of his pistols and returned fire. His own bullet creased Carlo's thick vest, as the man fell backwards.

Carlo attacked with a 4, and we use Louis' Athletics roll of 4 to dodge. That tie gives Carlo a Boost but avoids damage to Louis. Louis' Fight roll is used for his Shoot and he would have hit Carlo, absent Carlo getting is very fresh Boost to avoid damage. That tie gives Louis a Boost.

Kerecsen's pride might be slightly offended, he somehow managed to get the fool of the lot. Dimitris, a swarthy and vile looking Greek, pulled a sailor's short blade and swung wildly as Kerecsen danced and slashed. Half way into his defense, Dimitris' pants fell to his ankles, revealing an undesirable view of his swabbie.

Dimitris rolled poorly all the way around! Kerecsen's attack did a 4 shift wound to the toad; giving a Physical Stress and giving him a Mild Consequence. Kerecsen's second roll, a -1 added to a 3, means he didn't Succeed with Style and get a Boost. Of course, he didn't come close to being scratched, either.

End of first round, Farid and Louis each have a Boost. Kerecsen has a wounded clown for an opponent.

I am going to post the next rounds rolls, so you know what to roll against, and if you want to spend Fate Points. In this case Farid self-compelled, gaining a Fate Point, that was spent in his Attack. The +2 comes and goes quickly.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Leitz »

ActorAttack Roll Defense Roll
Ilyas22
Carlo22
Louis56
Farid34
Kerecsen 3
Dimitris10
Addendum Carlo is going to throw a knife, so Louis must defend with Athletics. He can then either shoot Carlo, or close with his blade.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rex »

Farid

Farid focuses on his hated foe.

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(3+1+1+2)=7
0, -1, -1, -1, +3 = 0

Can Farid spend a Fate point to have Ilyas stumble on an obstacle in the room or something like that anyways?

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(6+3+3+1)=13
+1, 0, 0, -1, +3 = +3
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:42 pm Farid
Can Farid spend a Fate point to have Ilyas stumble on an obstacle in the room or something like that anyways?
He can spend a Fate Point to re-roll, which might be best given his -3. Is that his Attack, or Defense?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rex »

Farid

Defense. I will spend the Fate Point and re-roll.

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(3+1+5+1)=10
0, -1, +1, -1, +3 = +2
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:12 pm Farid

Defense. I will spend the Fate Point and re-roll.

Fight +3 [_4d6]=(3+1+5+1)=10
0, -1, +1, -1, +3 = +2
Table adjusted. You have the Boost, if you want it, for either Attack or Defense. If for Attack, it will give Ilyas a 3 point Stress, but he'll get a Boost since his Attack ties your Defense.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rex »

Farid

I will take the Boost on my Defense.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by shaidar »

Louis

Attempting to use his height and his targets prone position to his advantage, he leaps and twists to avoid the thrown blade. Landing next to the prone man he draws his sword "You had the chance of honour, monsieur, but you show you have none!". He lunges at the man with his sword.

Athletics (+3): [_4d6]=(6+3+6+5)=20
1+0+1+1 = 3 + 3 = 6. If this isn't enough then I'll use the boost. Although I think his target is 2, so that would be a succeed with style without using the boost?

Fight (+4): [_4d6]=(5+2+6+2)=15
+1-1+1-2=0+4 = 4. If still available can I use the boost from last round to get a 6, which I think gives him a succeed with style?
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am Louis

Attempting to use his height and his targets prone position to his advantage, he leaps and twists to avoid the thrown blade. Landing next to the prone man he draws his sword "You had the chance of honour, monsieur, but you show you have none!". He lunges at the man with his sword.
Great job bringing in the flair!
shaidar wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am Athletics (+3): [_4d6]=(6+3+6+5)=20
1+0+1+1 = 3 + 3 = 6. If this isn't enough then I'll use the boost. Although I think his target is 2, so that would be a succeed with style without using the boost?
Correct, you Succeed with Style without the Boost, which gives you another Boost
shaidar wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am Fight (+4): [_4d6]=(5+2+6+2)=15
+1-1+1-2=0+4 = 4. If still available can I use the boost from last round to get a 6, which I think gives him a succeed with style?
Correct, if you use last round's Boost to your Attack, then you Succeed with Style. With SwS on an Attack, you can choose to do full damage, or do ONE point less and take a Boost. In this case, you began the round with a Boost, and you earned another one. Then you used one of them, but you still have one at the end of the round. If you choose "less damage" then you will end the round with two Boosts.

The table should be updated for Louis and Farid, and I spelled Louis right, this time. shaidar, let me know if you want to do full damage, or one point less and end with two Boosts.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by shaidar »

I think I'll take the extra boost
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by jemmus »

I guess Dimitri is up for his attack. Does Kerecsen need to roll a defense roll?
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:23 am I guess Dimitri is up for his attack. Does Kerecsen need to roll a defense roll?
Kerecsen needs to roll both attack and defense, we're in the second round. You had made two rolls, so I took them in order. Kerecsen is fighting a "nekkid from the waist down to his ankles" Greek sailor, who is about as good with a blade as Kerecsen is in the water.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Leitz »

Ilyas, still unbalanced after Farid's artful footwork, could not recover his blade in time to get close to Farid. Unfortunately for the Rus posing as an Ottoman, Farid was much more balanced and easily penetrated Ilyas' defenses. The blow is not much, but Farid took first blood in this dance.

"You are a coward and a dog!" Ilyas said, snarling. "I will eat your flesh in my pot."

Ilyas takes 1 Physical Stress

Louis, on the other hand, gracefully dodged Carlo's thrown knife, leaned forward and cartwheeled from the tabletop to the floor, all the while drawing his sword. Carlo did his best to present steel and defend, but it was for naught; Louis' blade beat aside the minor delay and pierced Carlo's left shoulder muscle.

Louis did 3 points, and Carlo only has a 1 and 2 point Physical stress. You can only mark off 1 Stress box from any hit, so Carlo marked off his 2 point Physical stress, and took a 1 point Consequence. This is real damage.

I will update Kerecsen's results after jemmus posts his rolls and action.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Leitz »

Round three combat rolls
ActorAttack Roll Defense Roll
Ilyas 1 2
Carlo 4 2
Louis 5 8
Farid 2 0
Kerecsen - -
Dimitris 4 3
Everyone is sword on sword now. Dimitris seems to be on fire!
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rex »

Farid

Laughs at Ilyas, "I think not, you grow weak and slow."

Farid presses his attack with a feint to set up a riposte.

Fight +3 Defense [_4d6]=(1+1+1+4)=7
-1, -1, -1, 0, +3 = 0

Does he have a boost left he can use?

Fight +3 Attack [_4d6]=(4+1+4+3)=12
0, -1, 0, 0, +3 = +2
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by jemmus »

Kerecsen thinks, "By the saints, it's my destiny today to almost ignobly drown during an uncontested crossing of water, then to battle an oafish sailor with no pants. Well, nothing for it but to make the best of it." He leans back onto his left leg, blade held in the en garde position before his chest. Then when the seaman closes range, he qucikly skips two paces forward, and drives the saber's point to the dog's chest.

[_4d6]=(6+3+2+3)=14 0 + 3 = 3. Can Kerecsen use a boost from his very first roll's Succeed with Style?
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:47 am [_4d6]=(6+3+2+3)=14 0 + 3 = 3. Can Kerecsen use a boost from his very first roll's Succeed with Style?
Let's look at the meta-game for a moment. Dimitris began with the 1 and 2 Physical Stress boxes, and the same 1, 2, and 6 point Consequence boxes that everyone has. Previously, He took the 4 shift wound which marked off his 2 point Physical Stress box, and his 2 point Consequence. Kerecsen just did 3 points to him, and all points must be assigned, thus Dimitris has to mark off his 6 point Consequence box even though he has a 1 point box in both Physical Stress and Consequence. Spending a Boost here would be a waste.

Dimitris fell to his knees, ashen faced, as the stain of blood grew on his dirty tunic. He wimpered, once, and then began to crawl away from Kerecsen.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:18 am Farid
Does he have a boost left he can use?[/ooc]
My apologies for not replying earlier, I'm not sure if he has one or not. With the rolls as is, he will take one Physical Stress, and end up with a Boost from the tie in his attack.

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”