The Search For Xambaala

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Search For Xambaala

#61 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus doubts at first, thinking it would be better to leave the dogs alone at their own thing and follow their path to Xambaala but then:
"You know what, Xenos is right. Maybe we find some information on that body, or something useful or valuable. You sorcerers have surely something that might scare them.

Let's assume a menacing position and look as big as we can."
He positions himself with his back straight and with his shield protecting him.

Sorry. Much to do at work and little time. I promess I'll try my best!
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

No problem at all K!

The Desert Wasteland

Though Valkrina thinks the idea of interfering with the wild dogs foolish, she is quickly outnumbered by her more curious comrades. She can either accompany them or continue on her way towards Xambaala alone. (or wait them out if you prefer)

As the group gets closer, they see that the figure the dogs are fighting over is indeed a dead human. The man has a square head with short black hair and a mouth filled with sharpened teeth behind a rather square jawline. There are short chains attached to a rusty jagged iron collar that hangs around the poor fools neck, and you can see shackles around wrists and ankles. He is naked save for a filthy loincloth, his dark skin covered with bite marks and bloody gashes from the hungry dogs.
10EAC429-B4CE-411F-8E26-8D7271D662CB.jpeg
10EAC429-B4CE-411F-8E26-8D7271D662CB.jpeg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 600 times
The dirty canine continue to bark and tussle around the figure as you approach, turning their attention to your group with vicious snarling and aggressive pawing in the dirt. Other then the dogs and the dead man, you don't spot anything else around in this barren land.

Actions?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Shoo dogs!" He approaches the body to get a closer look.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by shaidar »

Xenos follows behind Drest, scimitar drawn and trying to look as imposing as possible.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma looks back at Valkrina and gives her a "c'mon let's go" head tilt in the direction of the dogs.

Then she looks back at the others and follows suit.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

"That dead thing is not dead. Be careful lest you get bit or scratched." she counsels they send a javelin or a volley of arrows into the figure before they get too close and provoke it to cry out if it is indeed not completely dead.

Following in the footsteps of others, she plays a tune in her flute. A quiet lullaby and high pitched in chords that only canines might hear.

using my Mesmerise Bard skill to entrance the dogs, or some of them to quiet down and not be aggressive, perhaps in Pied Piper fashion to follow behind me.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus starts shouting at the dogs and bangs his sword against his shield, keeping his straight posture.

Sorry, he doesn't know Valkrina's intetions. But maybe docile dogs are easier to scare? :oops:
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#68 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Desert Wasteland

Luckily, Valkrina decides to move along with the group when they head towards the position of the dogs.

These wild animals don't seem very afraid of a pack of humans coming towards them, still fighting and barking as is their way. Once Drest gets close enough, they stop fighting amongst their own kind to assemble, barking loudly at the group of strangers while the unmoving corpse rots in the sun. They don't stop when Akhilleus bangs his shield, only barking louder and heading towards the party in groups of two.

However, when Val starts playing the highest notes on her piccolo flute, a tune the humans can barely hear, the dogs begin to act a bit differently. More than half of their pack stops barking, listening closely to the nearly inaudible music. 6 of the 10 actually sit or lay down on the dried cracked ground as the bard plays them a little doggy lullaby. The other 4 continue to bark and snarl as they slowly circle the nearby dead body.

Actions?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by shaidar »

Xenos eyes the canines

"Now we've had a closer look at the body, I don't think it's worth pushing it further. We should leave."
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by sastaz »

No bag, weapons or other visible possessions? now when we're having a closer look.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nope. There is nothing else you can see while keeping your distance. :twisted:
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma looks sideways at Xenos and shrugs. Then she starts retreating, slowly, shield up.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Keeps playing her melody of entrancing tunes to pacify the dogs.

While she does so, walking among them she gets the chance to study them a little. No dog collars? No signs of ownership? A wild pack of dogs rather than guard animals on the fringe of a caravan camp.

"We should feed and befriend them. At least while any undead critters feign death and lurk about. Poke an arrow into that body before you get too close." she advises before going back to playing, hoping her tunes are not also summoning undead to our location.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

Drest

"I am not sure we have much food they would care for. Some water maybe?"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"We should be careful. I am concerned that if we threaten the remaining dogs, intentionally or not, the ones under the influence of Valkrina might recover their senses."
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by sastaz »

Tuurma

"I have some dried meat, but just strips. I doubt they would prefer it to a full body. Can someone put an arrow into the corpse and make sure it's really dead?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest has a bow and 12 arrows listed, but I thought he lost hat at some point. Am I remembering wrong again?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#78 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not sure on that one.

There is a rock or two at his feet, if that helps.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by shaidar »

Xenos lost his crossbow when they washed up on that first island, the one with the cult. Maybe Drest lost in then. Or was that part of the dream?
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If you removed it from your sheet as asked, then it's gone.

It is difficult to tell what was dream and what was real.

The lack of any good sleep, enough food, and limited hydration combined with the dry, dusty air isn't helping either.

New supplies can most certainly be purchased in Xambaala, though.

Return to “Completed Missions”