Riverveins

hedgeknight
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Riverveins

#61 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl thinks it over for a moment. He looks at the assorted crew members around him. We ain't leavin' our hurt people here. We hole up inside and wait it out. Rats at home know how to scatter if any fuckers make a move. Fuck Sticks' and the Faithless, we get ours patched up and then move when its over. Lets get the fuck off the street and let the Faithless and Fist fight it out.. He looks around, Who made it with you? Where is Easton?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#62 Post by dmw71 »

Oak is still focused on getting Cookie medical attention.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by hedgeknight »

Judas takes a deep breath and lets it out with a wet cough; he spits bloody phlegm in the street and waves his team forward. "Haven't seen Eston since we left him at the Den. And the Faithless cost us some good men. But we still have enough to protect ourselves if need be."
Emerging out of the night shadows is Crying Cyrus, Slick Will, Brand, Buster, Money, and a handful of others. All sport wounds, some worse than others.
Trueshot steps up as the more wounded of the Rats follow Oak inside. "I'll stay out here, in the shadows, Blacktongue. I'll let you know if things go south."
"I'll stay with ya, True," Money says, her hands tucked into her belt, a brace of daggers across her chest. She gives Trueshot the once over and then leans against the wall.

Once inside, Oak finds Cookie and she hugs him fiercely. "Don't ever leave me again! Okay, Oak?" she burbles, trying not to cry, but not succeeding too well. A young girl, not much older than Cookie, is tending the urchin's wound. "I've cleaned her wound, but she's going to need stitches. Can you help me...with that?"
Oak notes a small tray with cat gut and and curved needles used for sewing up flesh. Cookie hugs Oak tighter. "It's gonna hurt, ain't it Oak?"

The other Rats move inside, Yarl and Judas coming in last. Acolytes of the hospital are scurrying here and there, working on the wounded. A young priest bearing the sigil of Ilmater, hurries to help Pax and Skipper with the wounded, giving orders to the younger acolytes. As they help, the priest watches Yarl and Judas and walks up to them. "I'm Tobias...we'll do all we can for your...companions. Are you...should we be worried about an attack on the hospital while you're here?"
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl acknowledges his fellow Rats with a nod as they appear from the shadows. Watch yer backs he shares with Trueshot and Money before going inside.

Yarl hears the young priests question and replies This place been marked by the fuckers causing the trouble. Them Fist guarding it already got cut down by em'. I'm Blacktongue he offers his hand I promise you I ain't bringing you no trouble, I'm trying to keep it out.

Yarl feels tired and the effect of his wounds. He takes out his money pouch and hands it to TobiasIts all I got. You patch up my people and we are gonna keep everyone safe. Matter of fact, I can use a few patches myself..
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#65 Post by dmw71 »

Oblivious to anything else going on around him, Oak promises assistance to the young girl tending to Cookie. "Whatever you need," he confirms... before turning his attention to Cookie.

"You've dealt with worse," he assures her, noting the apprehension on her face. "I'll be right here -- helping, even. We'll take care of you."
-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm Yarl hears the young priests question and replies This place been marked by the fuckers causing the trouble. Them Fist guarding it already got cut down by em'. I'm Blacktongue he offers his hand I promise you I ain't bringing you no trouble, I'm trying to keep it out.
The young priest, Tobias, wipes the blood of his hand before accepting Blacktongue's; his grip is firm...for a priest, and Yarl can't help but notice the thin, white scars all over the priest's forearm.
Yarl feels tired and the effect of his wounds. He takes out his money pouch and hands it to Tobias Its all I got. You patch up my people and we are gonna keep everyone safe. Matter of fact, I can use a few patches myself..
"Safe? Y-you don't think...they wouldn't attack the hospital, would they?" Tobias asks, his eyes darting toward the door.

Judas snorts. "Well, Ol' Sticks liable to do anything to take us down. He's moving on Diamond Urchin's territory right now, and he used us as bait for the Fist. If he thinks we are hiding out in here...well...what do you think he'll do, priest?"
Tobias nods and swallows a few times before saying, "Well then, I guess we better get your companions healed up as soon as possible. I'll spread the word." He hefts the money pouch from Yarl, and moves quickly away, calling for all acolytes to come to him.

In the next few minutes, the acolytes of the Harborside Hospital make their rounds among the wounded Rats of Rivington. Their prayers of healing arise to the various gods they serve, some good, some evil, and yet, their healing is all the same. Yarl finds his wounds all but healed (he's only down 2 hp), and his fellow Rats are hale and whole once again.
dmw71 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:50 pm Oblivious to anything else going on around him, Oak promises assistance to the young girl tending to Cookie. "Whatever you need," he confirms... before turning his attention to Cookie.

"You've dealt with worse," he assures her, noting the apprehension on her face. "I'll be right here -- helping, even. We'll take care of you."
The young acolyte gives Cookie a draught and encourages her to "drink it all down. That's a good girl."
Then she nods to Oak, threads the sewing hook, and begins her work. After the second stitch, Cookie faints, and as Oak holds her, the girl hums to herself and continues to sew. (Give me a Perception roll.) Once done, she feels Cookie's forehead and checks her pulse. Nodding to herself, the teenage girl turns to Oak.
"Now, your wounds need attention, no? May I offer you healing?"
If Oak hesitates, she smiles and says, "No need to worry. My name is Iris, and by Tymora's luck, I am here tonight to help."

Iris.jpg
Iris.jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Computer +1 »

As Yarl watches the healing taking place he is quiet and contemplative. After a days fighting he feels a tiredness that goes beyond muscle aches. How did I end up in this mess he thinks to himself. A kingpin, more like a fucking idiot. Sylmorn was an evil fucker but he wouldn't have gotten things this wrong, would he? Was that why Sylmorn reacted so harsh to Yarl's message? Did he know how in the shit all the Rats were?

Being healed breaks Yarl's thoughts for a moment. As the pain fades Yarl can't help but to feel renewed. He never put much faith into any one of the gods but he is grateful to be away from the brink for a bit longer.

Judas we need a head count an' we need to find out how many way in and out of this place there is.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#68 Post by dmw71 »

Oak allows himself to slowly relax once he sees Cookie being tended to. Which allows him to actually feel the pain he had been suppressing in his drive to keep Cookie safe.

He watches carefully as the acolyte begins to formally care for his charge.

hedgeknight wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:35 pm Give me a Perception roll.
Perception: [1d20+2]=15+2=17

Assuming nothing feels off about Iris or the procedure she's performing, he thanks her for her care. "Your kindness is not unnoticed," he offers in praise.

"Tymora?" he repeats aloud, almost rhetorically. "Very lucky, indeed." Rolls

Familiar with Tymora?: [1d20]=15
  • The above is an unmodified roll. If any of the following skills would apply, their bonuses would be applied to the base 15 result.

Arcana: +3 (15+3 = 18)
    History: +5 (15+5 = 20)
    Religion: +3 (15+3 = 18)

When asked if she can provide him healing as well, assuming her efforts so far come across as above-board, Oak graciously accepts. "I don't have much to offer in terms of payment," he starts. "Perhaps there's a service I could provide in exchange for your talents and generocity?"

If, however, Oak's perception roll does spot something out of the ordinary, his reactions above will obviously change.

-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by hedgeknight »

Healing and Helping Hands...
Computer +1 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:58 pm
Judas we need a head count an' we need to find out how many way in and out of this place there is.
Judas, likewise healed a bit, gives Yarl a nod and moves off to get a count of just how many Rats remain on this side of the river. The inside of the hospital smells like a mixture of blood and vinegar, and there are more than a few wounded and sick who moan and groan occasionally. Lanterns keep the darkness away and allow the surgeons to go about their grisly work.
Once healed Yarl spots Oak and the girl he is talking with. A pretty young thing, no wonder she found her way to the Half-Elf. Yarl wonders if he will ever...
Just then Judas returns, his face bearing a look of worry. "Blacktongue...we may have a problem. Come see."

While Yarl follows Judas, Oak listens as Iris hums a familiar song known among the faithful of Tymora, the Goddess of Luck. The tune goes something like:

Like the legend of the Phoenix
All ends with beginnings
What keeps the planet spinning
The force from the beginning, mmm...love
We've come too far
To give up who we are
So let's raise the bar
And our cups to the stars
She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

Noting Oak's attention, Iris smiles, blushing slightly, and puts a clean bandage over Cookie's wound. She then lays hands on Oak, invoking the healing power of Lady Luck. Oak groans with relief as wounds close, bruises heal.
"I don't have much to offer in terms of payment," he starts. "Perhaps there's a service I could provide in exchange for your talents and generocity?"
Iris sits back, clearly tired from expending healing magic, and lays a cool damp cloth on the back of her neck. "I need some clean bandages. I sent Chalk after them several minutes ago and he hasn't returned. They are normally kept in a hall closet just before heading into the basement. Will you fetch me some? Or at least see what's keeping Chalk?"

Any other actions before I continue?
Yarl - down 2 hp
Oak - has 14 hp
Cookie - has 6 hp
Trueshot down 4 hp
Last edited by hedgeknight on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Computer +1 »

Earlier you said Yarl was down 2 hp, the last post said 12. Which is it. I personally prefer 2 but am happy with whatever you want :D :D :D
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:47 pm Earlier you said Yarl was down 2 hp, the last post said 12. Which is it. I personally prefer 2 but am happy with whatever you want :D :D :D
D'oh! :oops: :lol: Post above edited.
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl takes a deep sigh and follows Judas.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:22 pm Yarl takes a deep sigh and follows Judas.
Yarl follows Judas through the infirmary and down a hall with rooms on both sides. Some of the rooms are dark or lit only with a single candle; others are illuminated with oil lamps and there are acolytes at work among the sick. Near the end of the hall is a set of stairs descending into a spiral, lit by lanterns. Judas doesn't even slow down as he takes the stairs two at a time to a landing, and then another set of stairs to another landing. The smell at the second landing is strong enough to choke a bull, and Yarl feels the bile rising in his throat with each step.
But...there aren't many steps because Judas has stopped and is waiting for Yarl...looking ahead, but not moving.
Yarl walks up to him and looks down the hall where Judas is looking...
There are doors on both sides of the dimly lit hallway; all are closed, except the one at the end of the hall. It is wedged open...by a body, a body that has been torn apart, and partially consumed. Pushing through the door is something Yarl has never seen before...but he'll never forget it now that he has seen it.

zombie breakthrough.jpg
zombie breakthrough.jpg (60.33 KiB) Viewed 842 times

"When I f-first came down here...well, they was feasting. Looks like they're done with that one, and they are coming for more." Yarl can hear the shudder in Judas' voice, almost see the man quaking with fear.
"What in the name of the gods are we gonna do now, Blacktongue?"
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by Computer +1 »

You mentioned oil lamps and that this hallway is dimly lit. How many lamps are nearby and how close are they in relation to the zombie? Where was the last door that Judas and Yarl passed through?

BTW this is now terrifying. Both Yarl and I should be wearing brown pants.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by hedgeknight »

There's an oil lamp every 30 feet or so; which means there are four lamps in the hallway.
Attachments
negan pants.gif
negan pants.gif (1.35 MiB) Viewed 834 times
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl is terrified. He has grown up on the streets of Rivington and learned never to back down from a fight but this is a whole different enemy. There is no intimidation, no bravado, no mercy from the walking dead. Yarl pushes Judas back and grabs the nearest oil lamp and throws it at the creature. He immediately turns tail and runs the way they came. Go go go! Get the fuck outta here. he yells at his fellow Rat.

Yarl will flee until they pass the nearest door they can close, and hopefully bar. Get a fucking priest!! he shrieks at Judas.

Attack with thrown lamp:

I wasn't sure if an attack bonus should be applied or not so I used the usual macro. I thank the Gods its a natural 20 either way!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry, guys, I'll update soon -- like, hopefully later today.

P.S. Well played. ;)

hedgeknight wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:09 pm Like the legend of the Phoenix
All ends with beginnings
What keeps the planet spinning
The force from the beginning, mmm...love
We've come too far
To give up who we are
So let's raise the bar
And our cups to the stars
She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some
She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:43 pm Yarl is terrified. He has grown up on the streets of Rivington and learned never to back down from a fight but this is a whole different enemy. There is no intimidation, no bravado, no mercy from the walking dead. Yarl pushes Judas back and grabs the nearest oil lamp and throws it at the creature. He immediately turns tail and runs the way they came. Go go go! Get the fuck outta here. he yells at his fellow Rat.
Having honed his rock throwing skills since he was a boy on the streets, Yarl is rewarded as the oil lamp strikes the creature right in the chest as it steps through the door. There is a breaking of glass and a loud "whoosh" as the oil catches fire, engulfing the zombie in hungry flames! The creature staggers on for a few feet, runs into the wall on the left and slides down it, continually burning. Having already fled, Yarl doesn't see the others push through the doorway and come down the hallway after them!
Yarl will flee until they pass the nearest door they can close, and hopefully bar. Get a fucking priest!! he shrieks at Judas.
There are a few doors along the hallway, but all are closed. Do you open one of those?
If you'll go back a couple of posts, you'll remember there are no doors barring this section of the hospital, just stairs.
Actions?
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by Computer +1 »

Ok I will amend the action a bit.

Yarl runs with Judas up the stairs back to where the Rats were all receiving treatment. There is no way he is leaving his people to what he just saw.
We need a fucking priest!! he screams as he enters the area. There are Gods damed zombies down there! he yells frantically while catching his breath.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by hedgeknight »

We need a fucking priest! Yarl screams as he runs back down the hall where the acolytes, nurses, and physicians are tending the sick and wounded. There are Gods damed zombies down there!
If his first shout didn't get attention, the second one does.
A middle-aged man wearing a bloody apron springs out from one of the rooms in the hall. He carries a leather bag in one hand and a bloody hacksaw in the other. He wears monocles and is neatly dressed in a vest and tie. "What did you say, young man? Zombies? Where? Show me!"

Doctor Killem.jpg
Doctor Killem.jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 817 times
The man whistles and a very large mastiff trots out of the room and to the man's side. It wears a spiked collar and gives a low growl when it sees Yarl and Judas. "Now, now Jarro. We are going to help these...men. The zombies?" He repeats to Yarl.

Jarro.jpg
Jarro.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 817 times

At about that time, Oak appears in the hallway, clearly on a mission of some urgency...
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”