Quest #40 "MommaPamma's Revenge"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Quest #40 "MommaPamma's Revenge"

#541 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As usual, please post any new hit point rolls in your sheet threads. Thanks!

Clifftown Back In Settlement
Waterday, 3rd of Harvester
Afternoon, Humid, Hot, Buggy

Keeping with the idea that we aren't going to flesh this area out as much.....

Grimm asks around for information on when the next ship is scheduled to return, but nobody in the settlement has any idea how to answer the dwarf. Even those with connections to the good captain have no real assurances that he or anyone else will ever return for them again. Quark has not been around these waters for a while now.

Maag looks around for the new tavern, finding no such thing exists yet. With no new people coming in anymore, there was no great urgency to build such a place. Of course he sneaks around enough to find the well hidden moonshine still that the older farmers are keeping out of sight of Marge and any other teetotalers around town. The tipsy half-orc comes up with a great new name for the budding town, getting plenty of nods from his drunken companions. It turns out that this strange breadfruit they have been surviving on all these weeks makes for a great sour mash as well.

There is an impromptu meeting area in the center of the settlement, with plans of erecting a communal building eventually that could serve as a future drinking hall. This area is used to store extra fruits and other perishable foods that are now found in abundance in this area, giving even more prudence to the thugs choice of possible names.

Yrias reminds Wake of the dwarf killing rock monsters who've already sent out a warning that their gorge area should now be considered off limits to anyone other than their own kind. He remains loyal to the expedition team anyway, despite the possible danger.

There is a lot of talk from the sorcerers about trading magic spells, but so far none of those details have been ironed out or confirmed.

Actions?

I will continue populating these lists as PC's voice their choices.

Hoping to leave in 2ish days time:
Wake (hoping to find the next obelisk north of Nipple Gorge)
Feanol
Yrias
Maag
Daisy

Chauncey (going back to the fire obelisk)
Elnaerel
Wes
Amun
Darklin

Keg (looking at climbing back up the cliffs to search for obelisks etc. to the northeast)
Grimm

Liam AC:4 4/9
Daisy (C3) AC:6 22/23 0/3 1st / 1/2 2nd
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 22/26 RM, CL, DM 1/3 1st 1/2 2nd
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 14/14 RM, CL, DM 4/4 1st 2/2 2nd
Keg (F4) AC:1 26/32
Wake (C2) AC:3 13/16 2/4 first
Darklin (F/MU3) AC:4 23/23 RM, CL, DM 1/2 1st 1/1 2nd
Amun (F2) AC:2 9/20
Yrias AC:5 4/8 1/3 1st RM, CL, DM 0/1 1st
Maag AC:4 16/20
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 23/53 6/6 1st 0/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/1 4th
Grimm AC:5 20/20
Elnaerel AC:3 23/23 0/4 1st 1/3 2nd

Luther AC:3 ?/30 Dead

In front of Daisy is a golden ring
In front of Darklin is a long bow and a dozen arrows.

In front of The Knife is a Gnomish made short sword and a dull purple stone.
In front of Chauncey is a pair of decretive metal bracers.
In front of Keg sits a very nice looking longsword that feels cold to the touch.

In front of Feanol rests a shiny silver ring.
In front of Elnaerel is a strip of brown cloth that looks like a headband and a sling with a dozen stones.
In front of Liam sits a plain leather bag.
In front of Grimm rests a crossbow.
In front of Yrias sits a pair of fine leather boots and a massive 2-handed sword.
In front of Wake is a very nice looking mace.

In front of Maag sits bastard sword.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#542 Post by Urson »

Luther the corpse
init. [1d10]=8

Daisy
Two days sounds just fine, darlin'. Ah'll be ready.
FA FO
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#543 Post by Jernau35 »

Maag

Maag listens with growing concern to the details of the murderous rock creatures. Not liking the sound of them at all, he comes up with an alternate suggestion for part of their route.

"Look, if we go through Beachtown an' all der way along der beach, we can follow der trail to where der big lizards 'ang out. Den we go north from der up to der gorge, an' right by it to der edge of der swamp. Dat way, we skip der trail der monsters came down. An' we only spend a bit of time near der gorge ".

Maag agrees to be ready in two days. Knowing how expensive rations can be at Marge's store, he negotiates with some of the farmers for several days supply of the breadfruit. He also spends some time practicing with the shortbow he acquired from Cresty.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#544 Post by Jernau35 »

Wes

Wes spends the majority of the first two days in study and prayer with the Druid's Book. At one point, during a brief break , he approaches Chauncey.

"What route where you planning to take back to the Fire Obilisk? It seems to me the river trail through the Indijun villages might not be the best way right now. Who knows how they feel about us?"

"And the Loggers trail route takes us right by the temple and close to the swamp. Which is where we want to go anyway. Is there another way?"

Wes also informs the wizard of situation that will push back their leaving date. "My prayers have given me an inspiration. I have had a vision of a way to take the blessing of Obad Hai's power and create a spell that will protect us from the King and Queen. But it will take me four days to create that spell."

Finally, as busy as he is, Wes takes a few minutes at the end of each day to fashion a sling and spend some time pitching rocks at a piece of driftwood on the beach.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#545 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Darklin2 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 am Darklin

will finish setting up his tent and seek out Chauncey to try to learn another spell from him. He will follow him to the Fire Obilisk if needed.
“Ah, Darklin, yes. Always delighted to exchange knowledge - a spell for a spell, I always say. Anything new and interesting in your tome?” Says Chauncey, producing his own for perusal.
AVAILABLE SPELLS

Level 1
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Disposable Mule (Mount - UA)
Enlarge
Find Familiar
Identify
Magic Missile
Read Magic
Shield
Shocking Grasp
Sleep
Spider Climb

Level 2
Earthen Grasp
ESP
Invisibility
Levitate
Mirror Image
Web

He’d be happy to trade any lvl 1 spell he has for Mending or Unseen Servant, or a lvl 2 spell for both of those.
Jernau35 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:48 am Wes"What route where you planning to take back to the Fire Obilisk? It seems to me the river trail through the Indijun villages might not be the best way right now. Who knows how they feel about us?"

"And the Loggers trail route takes us right by the temple and close to the swamp. Which is where we want to go anyway. Is there another way?"

Wes also informs the wizard of situation that will push back their leaving date. "My prayers have given me an inspiration. I have had a vision of a way to take the blessing of Obad Hai's power and create a spell that will protect us from the King and Queen. But it will take me four days to create that spell."
"You make salient points, as always, Wesley," Chauncey replies. "I do not mind the delay in leaving, as protecting ourselves from needless life-force drainage is key, and as I, too, have research I wish to complete before we go. As for our path, you're correct, of course, that cutting through the natives' land may not be wise at this time... the loggers trail route, is, I suppose, the easiest, and depending on their departure date, could lead to us traveling with the others for a portion of our route at least. I had hoped we could combine our forces for longer, but no matter. Perhaps we can teleport from the temple to the fire obelisk and back? Who knows?"
sastaz wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:23 pm
Amun, after a great hp roll and now F3, is ready to depart with the group led by the greatest wizard of the island, if they will have her.
"Certainly, Amun," says the jorted wizard, "I don't know you well, but you seem quite capable – I should be only too happy to have you along. Be aware, we tend to get into MommaPamma level scrapes on a regular basis."

Finally, upon hearing in passing that Feanol is also in possession of some magical formulae he may not be privy to, he approaches her, perhaps running into her while discussing magic with Darklin.

"Feanol, I've seen you in action. I should very much enjoy trading magical knowledge with you, if you should be of a mind, for our mutual benefit?" he says, again producing his tome stretched with goblin hide.
AVAILABLE SPELLS

Level 1
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Enlarge
Find Familiar
Identify
Magic Missile
Read Magic
Shield
Shocking Grasp
Sleep
Spider Climb

Level 2
Earthen Grasp
ESP
Invisibility
Levitate
Mirror Image
Web

He’d be happy to trade any lvl 2 spell he has for Stinking Cloud.
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#546 Post by Ahlmzhad »

ChubbyPixie wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:36 pm
Finally, upon hearing in passing that Feanol is also in possession of some magical formulae he may not be privy to, he approaches her, perhaps running into her while discussing magic with Darklin.

"Feanol, I've seen you in action. I should very much enjoy trading magical knowledge with you, if you should be of a mind, for our mutual benefit?" he says, again producing his tome stretched with goblin hide.
AVAILABLE SPELLS

Level 1
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Detect Magic
Enlarge
Find Familiar
Identify
Magic Missile
Read Magic
Shield
Shocking Grasp
Sleep
Spider Climb

Level 2
Earthen Grasp
ESP
Invisibility
Levitate
Mirror Image
Web

He’d be happy to trade any lvl 2 spell he has for Stinking Cloud.
Feanol, hearing the mages kind offer. "Thanks, I will be happy to make such a trade. Stinking Cloud for Magic Missile would work quite well for me".
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#547 Post by sastaz »

ChubbyPixie wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:36 pm "Certainly, Amun," says the jorted wizard, "I don't know you well, but you seem quite capable – I should be only too happy to have you along. Be aware, we tend to get into MommaPamma level scrapes on a regular basis."
Amun raises an eyebrow in response to this and starts tying her tangled hair up with some leather strips, flexing long, muscular arms.

"I am capable alright, but somehow the gods work against me as the last two I teamed up with are now dead! I mean, not that I had any part in that, they were too brave. Foolish. But now please tell me, what is this island and what is a fire obelisk? What should we expect?"
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#548 Post by Bluehorse »

New Hope is awesome

Keg to Grimm Glad someone's not chicken shit about this. We were up on the cliff before... we will need a lot of water for the trip, but it is doable. Lets stock up on waterskins and rations and make a point to leave before dawn, what say you? I can't think of much else we can do preparation wise. We don't need to go doing anything heroic, we just need to locate these obelisks and confirm their locations, then report back.
If we can hook up with one of these other groups making their way around along the way, all the better.

Liam to Wake I'll join your group. I am not sure what activating these stones will do for us or against us, but it is all we have to go off of right now.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm nods at Keg's words and smile can be seen under his bushy beard. "Aye. Let's do it. Maybe someone will join us before we leave but, if not, so much the better. Two can move faster! Let's get loaded with provisions." The dwarf thinks again of his people's horn, now for food. Where the in the Nine Hells is it?

Elnaerel and Yrias won't do anything special, other than praying/studying, resting, chitchatting with the others and watching the ritual.
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#550 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Shares his book with Feanol and Chancey.

Chancey I would be happy to trade Unseen Servant and Mending for Invisibility. I only know one moderate level spell at the moment so another helps the cause. Do you find that the Find Familiar spell to be a hinderance? It allows for the weakness of the familiar to hinder you in battle. I have never really likes that spell. All though I suppose it has it's uses.

[1d100]=22 Know spell

Feanol You are always welcome to browse my spell book. We have been through several encounters together and we are both survivors.

May I copy Stinking Cloud from your book? Take whatever spells you think useful.

[1d100]=57 Know spell
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#551 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Darklin2 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pm Darklin

Shares his book with Feanol and Chancey.

Chancey I would be happy to trade Unseen Servant and Mending for Invisibility. I only know one moderate level spell at the moment so another helps the cause. Do you find that the Find Familiar spell to be a hinderance? It allows for the weakness of the familiar to hinder you in battle. I have never really likes that spell. All though I suppose it has it's uses.

[1d100]=22 Know spell

Feanol You are always welcome to browse my spell book. We have been through several encounters together and we are both survivors.

May I copy Stinking Cloud from your book? Take whatever spells you think useful.

[1d100]=57 Know spell
Thank you Darklin, and once he's done she'll also add Invisibility to her book.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#552 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Clifftown A New Hope?
Waterday, 3rd of Harvester
Late Afternoon, Humid, Hot, Buggy

Maag's idea for the more apropos town name of New Hope sweeps through the remaining settlers like wildfire, with very few offering any better alternatives. Even large Marge seems happy with the name, and she is usually a hard one to please.

Despite being warned about the unknown dangers, Keg and Grimm seem certain that climbing back up the cliffs to explore the higher elevation areas is a good idea. Amun just huffs and shakes her head, knowing full well what kind of horrible monsters lurk up there. The savage warrior begs the others for information about the obelisks and the spheres, but few here know their true purpose, so she gets little in the way of answers.

Wes decides that the cave the Princess is cleaning out is likely the best place for his attempt at bringing Luther back to the world of the living. He spends hours in preparations, making sure he doesn't miss anything in the book that will aid him with this magical power that is currently beyond him. Once his process is underway, he predicts that it will take him 2 full days of constant study before he tries his luck. The remains of the already gamey ranger continue to ripen during this time. (I would take a d12 roll from Urson to see how this next phase plays out. Sorry, no bear or cat so far.) :lol:

Chauncey gathers the sorcerers together and they talk over who will learn what from where. Knowing the extra time it will take to transcribe spells in these unfavorable conditions, a plan is worked out for maximum expedition.

Actions?

The one glaring issue I see so far with spell sharing is time. If Wake's group is leaving in two days, there is no way Feanol will have enough time to transcribe the spells suggested. It takes 1 full day per spell level to record something in another's book. So, she either limits those expectations, or the departing time will need to be extended by a few more days. (she would have time to record MM or even Invisibility from Chauncey, but that wouldn't leave him enough time for reciprocation)

Is Wake okay with delaying his departure in the name of making his participants stronger?

If you haven't already, please provide any "chance to learn spell" rolls along with your spell sharing ideas.

Hoping to leave in 2ish days time:
Wake (hoping to find the next obelisk north of Nipple Gorge)
Feanol
Yrias
Maag
Daisy
Liam

Chauncey (going back to the fire obelisk)
Elnaerel
Wes
Amun
Darklin

Keg (looking at climbing back up the cliffs to search for obelisks etc. to the northeast)
Grimm

Liam AC:4 4/9
Daisy (C3) AC:6 22/23 0/3 1st / 1/2 2nd
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 22/26 RM, CL, DM 1/3 1st 1/2 2nd
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 14/14 RM, CL, DM 4/4 1st 2/2 2nd
Keg (F4) AC:1 26/32
Wake (C2) AC:3 13/16 2/4 first
Darklin (F/MU3) AC:4 23/23 RM, CL, DM 1/2 1st 1/1 2nd
Amun (F2) AC:2 9/20
Yrias AC:5 4/8 1/3 1st RM, CL, DM 0/1 1st
Maag AC:4 16/20
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 23/53 6/6 1st 0/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/1 4th
Grimm AC:5 20/20
Elnaerel AC:3 23/23 0/4 1st 1/3 2nd

Luther AC:3 ?/30 Dead

In front of Daisy is a golden ring
In front of Darklin is a long bow and a dozen arrows.

In front of The Knife is a Gnomish made short sword and a dull purple stone.
In front of Chauncey is a pair of decretive metal bracers.
In front of Keg sits a very nice looking longsword that feels cold to the touch.

In front of Feanol rests a shiny silver ring.
In front of Elnaerel is a strip of brown cloth that looks like a headband and a sling with a dozen stones.
In front of Liam sits a plain leather bag.
In front of Grimm rests a crossbow.
In front of Yrias sits a pair of fine leather boots and a massive 2-handed sword.
In front of Wake is a very nice looking mace.

In front of Maag sits bastard sword.
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#553 Post by Urson »

Dead Luther
[1d12]=3
FA FO
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#554 Post by gurusql »

Wake

Wake closes his eyes for a few moments and then opens them and smiles, "I have to admit it is not my first choice, but understand the desire. Can we leave after 4 days total then? Will our wizard be at full strength on that schedule?"

Assuming that the four days are agreed to, Wake will be going around to the party members (including himself) and making sure all are full health before departure. Once he has completed his tasks he will find his way to Marge to volunteer for the community.
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#555 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Here are my rolls.

MM: [1d100]=67

Invisibility: [1d100]=70
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#556 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ahlmzhad wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:13 pm Feanol

Here are my rolls.

MM: [1d100]=67

Invisibility: [1d100]=70
(dont worry, I'll take the time to look it up) :roll: :lol:

With a 16 Int., those are both a fail. (65% chance) But with the dragons ring on, I will bump the MM roll down 2% so she can at least learn that staple.

That should speed up the learning timeframe a little bit.
:mrgreen:
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#557 Post by Karaunios »

No special actions from Grimm, Elnaerel or Yrias.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#558 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Ahlmzhad wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:07 pmFeanol, hearing the mages kind offer. "Thanks, I will be happy to make such a trade. Stinking Cloud for Magic Missile would work quite well for me".
"I should only be too delighted, Madame," replies Chauncey.
sastaz wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 pm [diaog]"I am capable alright, but somehow the gods work against me as the last two I teamed up with are now dead! I mean, not that I had any part in that, they were too brave. Foolish. But now please tell me, what is this island and what is a fire obelisk? What should we expect?"[/dialog]
"Were you brought here against your knowledge and intention? This is Big Shiny Island, and I believe most came here quite willingly, believing it to be an opportunity to 'start again,' as it were," he says to the muscular woman, "Or to escape... unpleasantness... detection... scrying by evil sorcerers?... that kind of thing."

"A fire obelisk is merely a normal obelisk," he draws the shape in the air, "...but with a fire-based theme, if you will. And profound, fire-based magical powers and dangers, of course. I think you'll really enjoy it."
Darklin2 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pmChancey I would be happy to trade Unseen Servant and Mending for Invisibility. I only know one moderate level spell at the moment so another helps the cause. Do you find that the Find Familiar spell to be a hinderance? It allows for the weakness of the familiar to hinder you in battle. I have never really likes that spell. All though I suppose it has it's uses.
"This would be my pleasure, Sir," the Greatest Wizard On the Island remarks, humbly. He sets to work preparing nibs, mixing ink and tightening his jorts. It would be a long four days...

Chance to Learn Mending (85%): [1d100]=70

Chance to Learn Unseen Servant (85%): [1d100]=2

Chance to Learn Stinking Cloud (85%): [1d100]=49

Before he begins copying in earnest, he addresses Darklin's question regarding Find Familiar.

"I could not, Sir, imagine life without that particular spell," he says, "For it is through its use that I made the acquaintance of Mr. Wrenly, my simian companion and business associate. As for making one weak in battle, he is perhaps often a liability, and I do forbid him from hand-to-hand combat, yet he recently played a pivotal assisting role in saving me from torture and probable death at the hands of some very bad dwarves. He is, however, sometimes rather sassy."
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#559 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

My mentor had a familiar but it was always getting in the way. A frog if you will. I always thought it was a hinderance to have to worry about the well being of a frog in his day to day research and spell study. Luck of the draw I suppose.

I have not been to this Fire Obelisk, what do we expect to find there? Anything to increase spell capability or magical knowledge? I was sent there by my people (Elves) to find a Library that was supposed to be here on this island in one of the Obelisks. It was told in legend that it was full of Lost Arcane Lore and that finding it could help to bring All Goodly Raced back to power over darkness.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#560 Post by sastaz »

Amun addresses both Chauncey and Darklin, who both seems interested in going with her to this fire obelisk.

"Yes, I am in fact looking for something, something I though lost and long gone. But now it seems the gods have brought me here to this island for a reason. So yes Chauncey, I came by free will, but not really knowing why. I cannot tell you more right now. In time perhaps. No matter, I will lend you my sword and my strength, if we travel together."

"Darklin, that promise sounds unlikely, folly almost. But a noble cause nonetheless. If we can do somehting to weaken the powers of evil, that is a reward in itself. Are you an enchanter as well, like Chauncey?"

"Just tell me when you're ready to go. I will rest, clean my equipment and pray to the lords of battle."

Return to “Completed Missions”