Quest #1 - The Search for Fonkin

Nemesis
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

Re: Quest #1 - The Search for Fonkin

#501 Post by Nemesis »

Miranda nodded. "Step back, people."

She rolled the rock down the hallway (picture someone throwing a bowling ball). The rock skipped past the first plate, sinking into a click. The ceiling over the plate opened and a barrage of arrows flew toward the ground, ricocheting off the stone in multiple directions. The stone rolled past the second plate. Like the first, it sunk into another click. This time, small holes opened on the plate, and spikes jutted about four feet into the air, high enough to seriously impale an adult human.

The rock skipped across more plated, none of which triggered additional traps, from where the party could see.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#502 Post by archolewa »

Richard

"Ouch." Richard patted his polearm. "I love you. I think you deserve a name. I will call you Pokey."

He will carefully lead the others down the hall, passed the triggered traps. When he gets to the spot where more plates were depressed, but no traps triggered, he will look around carefully, poking and prodding at the walls and ceiling for any signs of anything unusual, anything that might suggest a trap had been "primed" rather than triggered, or there had been a trap that went off that they hadn't been able to see.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#503 Post by Eris »

Quinn shudders, "There must be a way past such traps for those setting them, without triggering them!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#504 Post by Nemesis »

Miranda shimmied herself through the sprung traps. She took the rock and threw it down the hall, its echo bouncing through the hall back to the party.

"Seems like we're in the clear," she called down the line.

One by one, the rest of the party navigated through the sprung traps and reconvened with Miranda.

The south-facing door lied ahead.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#505 Post by archolewa »

Richard

Richard will wait for Miranda to inspect the door, and if she doesn't find anything, do his standard routine for the door: study the floor and walls for any signs of any holes, gingerly poke at the walls, floor, ceiling and door itself with his polearm, check the handle with his blanket for any signs of any sort of residue on the handle.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#506 Post by Nemesis »

Miranda slowly walked to the door, its wooden frame stood flush against the rest of the wall. She carefully ran her hand through the exterior, doing the usual door checks repeated several times so far in this Godforsaken place. She finished her inspection with a light touch of the handle.

"There are no cracks to see into the room," she said. "We'd be going in blind, but I don't get a sense anything dangerous is behind this door. Anyone want to do the honors?"
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#507 Post by archolewa »

Richard

If the door opens into the hallway, Richard will tell Miranda to pull the door open and duck behind it, while he steps forward polearm first. Otherwise, he will tell her to shove it open and get behind him as fast as she can.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#508 Post by Nemesis »

Miranda pulled the door slowly and ducked out the way. The rest of the party braced itself for whatever may come out the door. After a few moments of silence, Miranda crept around the door and peered inside.

"Looks like a whole lot of nothing," she said frustrated. "This is, what, the fourth or fifth room that's turned out empty? What the hell is this place?"
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#509 Post by archolewa »

Richard

"Wouldn't be all that 'abandoned' if it were full, now would it?" Richard will creep forward cautiously, probing the floor with his polearm as he enters the room. "Still. That hallway was the most heavily trapped part of the complex. You really think that if the folks who built this place went through all the trouble to trap the hallway, they'd just leave whatever made this room important just sitting out in the open?"
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#510 Post by Eris »

archolewa wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:45 pm Richard

"Wouldn't be all that 'abandoned' if it were full, now would it?" Richard will creep forward cautiously, probing the floor with his polearm as he enters the room. "Still. That hallway was the most heavily trapped part of the complex. You really think that if the folks who built this place went through all the trouble to trap the hallway, they'd just leave whatever made this room important just sitting out in the open?"
From the back you hear Quinn say, "Secret door in here maybe? Maybe at the end of this corridor? Clearly, traps were set for a reason. We'll have to search."

Quinn enters and holds up the torch he is carrying and looks around. He will cautiously move along the sides and back of the room to check for signs of a hidden door. He is going to be careful not to touch anything that looks like it might be a way to open such a door, if he sees it. We'll need to check for traps on anything like that and that's not his job.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#511 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Map is update but I don't think I got dimensions on the last empty room. Please let me know if I got it about right.
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#512 Post by Nemesis »

Quinn carefully placed his hands along the smooth, stone walls. While he combed the west side of the room, he noticed a slightly discolored yet small square section of the wall, near the floor. He crouched, moved closer to the piece, and poked it lightly. The piece bounced against his finger. He held his breath, anticipating the wall or, worse, the room, reacting to the faint pressure with some form of trap. Nothing came.

BaltoBruiser wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:54 pm Map is update but I don't think I got dimensions on the last empty room. Please let me know if I got it about right.
Thank you. The room is 4x4, thanks to Quinn's initial sweep of the room.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#513 Post by Eris »

Nemesis wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:03 pm Quinn carefully placed his hands along the smooth, stone walls. While he combed the west side of the room, he noticed a slightly discolored yet small square section of the wall, near the floor. He crouched, moved closer to the piece, and poked it lightly. The piece bounced against his finger. He held his breath, anticipating the wall or, worse, the room, reacting to the faint pressure with some form of trap. Nothing came.

BaltoBruiser wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:54 pm Map is update but I don't think I got dimensions on the last empty room. Please let me know if I got it about right.
Thank you. The room is 4x4, thanks to Quinn's initial sweep of the room.
"Hey!" Quinn calls to the others, "There's something here, I think. A small section of the wall. It seemed to move at little when I poked it. Miranda, would you check this to see if it's a trap or something else..."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#514 Post by archolewa »

Richard

"Good find Quinn! Now, get behind me," said Richard as he readied his polearm, a fair bit back from the wall, close to the door. "Could be beasties or something back there."
Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#515 Post by Nemesis »

"I'm glad you all entrusted me with the delicate task of handling these traps for you," Miranda said, her tone slightly coated with annoyance. "If this is your way of potentially getting rid of me, I'm sorry to say you may be disappointed."

She crouched near the pressure plate and pulled out a small set of tools. She poked, prodded, pried, and plucked. She returned the tools to her bag and stood.

"The mechanism doesn't seem like it activates a trap," she said, "more to open and close something; perhaps a door. Stand back."

The party backed up. Richard kept his pole arm pointed at the wall, ready for a fight.

Miranda pressed the plate with her hand. It sunk into the wall, and the room started shaking. A portion of the wall in front of Miranda slowly slide downward, revealing an entrance way into another hallway.

"Seems like we found a shortcut," Miranda said. "Or... a hidden escape route?"
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#516 Post by archolewa »

Nemesis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:03 pm "I'm glad you all entrusted me with the delicate task of handling these traps for you," Miranda said, her tone slightly coated with annoyance. "If this is your way of potentially getting rid of me, I'm sorry to say you may be disappointed."
Richard rolled his eyes. "Oh yes, I'm so terribly sorry that we're letting you do what seem to do best. Get yourself some real armor, and we'll be happy to let you go first, if you want a change of pace."

"Seems like we found a shortcut," Miranda said. "Or... a hidden escape route?"
"Well, get behind me, and let's see where it leads," said Richard. He will ease to the newly revealed corridor and peek in. If nothing attacks, he will prod the floor in front of him with his polearm, and begin moving carefully forward.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#517 Post by Eris »

Quinn checks the light situation again. We have one or two torches lighted, I think.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “Chronicles from the Vale (Basic Fantasy)”