#501 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"How are we for healing, anyone in bad shape?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Barrowmaze: BRAGging Rites

#502 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven shakes out his morning cobwebs, fidgeting with an unseen item hidden in his pocket.

"I think we should attempt to locate the other group again. We have no idea how much time passed in that alternate dimension. It may have been days, or......only seconds. Who really knows inside this dark tomb."

"I hope we can use that plane again, and the portal will open for us once more, in time. We could use the Herne shrine as a safe place to rest, since all of you were wise enough not to defile the place while I was deep in thought back there."

I am not caught up with the other group yet, but I think it makes sense to find them again regardless of what we decide to do next. If they aren't in too much trouble either, I suggest we explore a bit more after we make sure where they are.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#503 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal

Welcome back OM :)

"Yes, I think that might be wise. Where to look though? The obvious choice would be to try one of the two doors on the opposite wall. Hopefully some of them will carry us on straight to the areas where we last left the other group. If my senses are correct. How about this one?" She points at the door immediately SW of the one we just exited.

"Or we could go the longer way around. Longer but better known, supposedly."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#504 Post by Spearmint »

Yes, I think that might be wise. Where to look though? The obvious choice would be to try one of the two doors on the opposite wall.
Just to clear up absentmindedness, the above map portion that shows the triangular room is the Herne crypt with the diagonal wall being the mural. The SW room is the one with the halfling-Fungicides, the SE chamber is the crypt with four coffers each with a mummified figure resting inside. Unseen Servant carefully unstripped two sets of enchanted burial linens from the two preserved corpses but left alone messing with the two rotting corpses.

The quickest way back to the entrance barrow is retracing steps through the fungal corridor, passage of alcoves and across the trapped Checkerboard flagstone room.

ooc: I am just tying up an encounter in the Where-Rats which could reasonably affect your group, such as one of them comes looking for you during the night, so I am probably going to update the next scene here with a narration that covers both adventure teams. So bear with me while I conclude their scene.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#505 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks sastaz! Great to be back!

Krzys, pardon my memory lapse, but do we have healing needs that should be addressed?

I think I remember leaving a few open ends in this hallway too, before we went into the forest?

I want Sven to use his US for a few things here before we leave this area, but not if it interferes with (the other groups) intentions.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#506 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Also, if we left the gnolems in the forest, I believe there was a promise or suggestion that their old master be re-interred there, with them.

If that is still a possibility, Sven would like to fulfill that gesture at some point.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#507 Post by Spearmint »

If that is still a possibility, Sven would like to fulfill that gesture at some point.
I would be fine handwaving this to cover a couple of guys going around the corridors and over the pits to collect the body from the ooze coffer. Wrap him up again in fresh linens, there are bits about from the other crypts and passing him through the portal before you part ways. I will award some xp for seeing to his repatriation.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#508 Post by Spearmint »

Arriving back inside the Barrowmaze from extra-planar exploration and taking just a three hour nap, the BRAG group can combine with the Where-Rats who sleep in the Rat Room. They inform you of the Half-orcs in the chamber above, a group of renegade indentured labourers who seem to have rebelled against certain Duchy policies and have become outlaws. While they initially wanted to ransom the captive Treyvor and Sundance, a more amicable settlement has been suggested, which needs Svens consent, for them to actually become paid labour at the BRAG Guild ranch. Sir Dewey has in good faith paid them upfront (albeit still a ransom or bribe) though in return the paladin seems to have acquired a Half-orc youth to disciple in return..

From gathered posts and ooc chat, the suggestion seems to be to return to Helix all together.

This would conclude both expeditions.

Trek back to Helix

Trekking home from Barrow Mounds [1d6]=6 [1d6]=3 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=1

No encounters through the Barrow Moor but on the road into the village a Duchy patrol swings by, noting the Half-orcs being accompanied along. The conscripts look edgy and the guard Sgt, a veteran knows that despite brandishing his waxed sealed 'arrest warrant', it will have little authority to compel you to hand Nameless over. He justs waves you by but says, "there will be words."

You all arrive safely back in Helix by midday of June 28th.

actions Sven, Orgoth, Gerdal, Isvand please state where you will go in Helix and a basic plan for how to spend the next few days.

For example:
I will stay in my guild / tavern room, researching xyz spells, items, I will finish this skill task, rest up and go on next available expedition.

I will update here with an Expedition Summary and XP rewards and detail any trove you may wish to distribute.

posts please.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#509 Post by redwarrior »

isvand preens in his form-fitting bearskin cloak on the trip back to civilization. Once back, he re-acquires his room at the tavern. After a good meal, he will share his harmonica stylings as long as the common room will tolerate it. The next morning, he will seek out the monk and restart his physical training.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#510 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will mingle with the half-orcs and see what he can learn. Do they practice a faith, worship a god(s), their history etc.

He will use 3 doses of his cinders oinkment (he had 19), this gives him 3 hours with a Chr of 13 for half-ocs (his is 12 with half-orcs +1 for the oinkment).
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#511 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:37 pm I will award some xp for seeing to his repatriation.
That’s exactly why I asked. :D

Thanks!

I will work on our meager list from this trip as I get time.

Sven communicates with the other group before they depart the maze, glad to see everyone has survived their initial delve. They can discuss each other’s actions and concerns as they travel.

He does his best to learn everything he can from the group of Half-orcs in a friendly manner on the way back to Helix. Especially Nameless himself. “As we already have the approval of Lord Krothos himself, I don’t think you will have as many problems with the Duchy on Guild property. You will be treated with the respect you deserve by everyone in our group, and the quality of your work will be rewarded by a fair, maybe even generous, compensation in return.”

Shaking his head at the oncoming patrol, but keeping a smile on his face, Sven remarks to the Sergeant. “Looking lively, sir. I will let our partner Lord Krothos know that his dedicated men are doing a great job out here in the wilds. Bring your patrol to the tavern once your duties are done. Your meal and drinks will be furnished by the Adventures Guild tonight!”

I will start posting actions around town soon here as well.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#512 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will tweak this as I get time, but here is what I have so far.
Kills

? Hobgoblin Raiders
? Warg mounts

Rot Grubs
2 Ghoulish Witch-Women
2 Mushroom Men
Shrieker/Gas Spore/Fungus
3 Grotesque
Coffer Ooze
Tick Swarm
Large Stag
3 Kech

The one surviving Hobgoblin does not survive much longer. He gives a personal name, speaks of his tribe as 'from over the hills'. He speaks to of some treaty and that the Hobgoblins are in good standing with a local rancher, inferring perhaps this raid was not an isolated incident but a premeditated action. He points to a charred body as 'the Gaffer'.

Met and befriended Fenrice & 'the Barghests'

Rescued the gnolems

Found secret crypt with magical forest portal and figured out how to open it

Loot

938gp

6- 50gp gems

Herne Yew Bow (key?)
Herne Antlered Helm (key?)

a large drinking horn made from Mammoth tusk Sven
a bearskin cloak Isvand
a leather quiver filled with finely fletched silver tipped arrows Yardie
Stained glass vials of Holy Water (x2) 1 each remaining for Gerdal and Isvand

a large leaden key, inset with a green and yellowish stained gemstone, a type of Chrysoberyl

Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp

Vial of Mummy Dust

grains are little pea sized seeds, dry and old but still fresh and free of any contagion. Between the mages, you can identify them as some type of ancient papyrus.

bizarre black leather death mask. It has a large beak studded with horn and having extended eyepieces that are fitted like some kind of goggle

One ancient helm encrusted with semi-precious gemstones. Needs polishing, seems more ceremonial than functional. The interior is lined with black velvet.

A Runic Tablet used as a pillow. The tablet is etched in old common, but readable. The headline on the tablet just states: Obituary to Vanity. From experience you know reading the full verses triggers the runes to effect random banes or blessings though via an Identify casting, a more specific diagnosis can be understood.

A mammoth ivory hilted dagger and an ivory carved death mask. They seem a matching pair, the hilt having faces in the sides and the mask having daggers etched in the cheeks

a large pewter tankard etched with gold leaf around the rim, base and handle

pouch of throwing darts which may be thrown or trimmed down and used in a blowpipe

metal cylinder with a cork stopper. It looks like a storage jar, about two feet high and a few inches wide. Looking inside you see it contains a thick viscous mud, gnolems say it contains 'a guardian earth elemental'

The first sheaf is a ledger note, titled Emporium's: acquisition invoices. The other sheafs are odd numbered pages of a research project detailing a new spell that focuses upon ... oh! that would be detailed on the even numbered page ... You can conclude that Reggino was selling the pages at 50gp a each to an alchemist or mage? you will need further study to interpret this find to either complete the research and create a new spell or sell the remaining six pages to the researcher.

2 wrappings/bandages enchanted with a necromantic radiance
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#513 Post by Spearmint »

Trove notes edit:

The 'bazaar trinket sack' was determined as 'large sack's worth eventually, so 40 items of base value, (5-10gp x 40. Effectively 1d6+4gp value per item). what I did last time was roll
[10d6+40] four times to randomise the market stall table sale result. If you want a quick sale, go ahead and post four rolls.

Add Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp.

The Urn and assorted gems combine to be circa +500gp value. Someone can take these, perhaps including the ceremonial helm from the Alarm crypt, over to the Rosy Quartz in character and bargain, give or take, a better.

The drinking horn. The one taken by Sven from the Herne mausoleum? Don't think there was another. Equipped to Sven.

Holy Waters. Should be equipped, +1 to each character.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#514 Post by Rex »

Orgoth took one of the Holy Water already.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#515 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven will cast a Detect Magic upon all the spoils to see if anything else glows.

Sven also equipped one Holy Water. (and the horn)

Trinkets: [10d6+40]=33+40=73

Trinkets: [10d6+40]=38+40=78

Trinkets: [10d6+40]=33+40=73

Trinkets: [10d6+40]=32+40=72

So, around 75gp for the sack of trinkets?
The Urn and assorted gems combine to be circa +500gp value. Someone can take these, perhaps including the ceremonial helm from the Alarm crypt, over to the Rosy Quartz in character and bargain, give or take, a better.
If someone with better CHR wants to try this, go for it. Otherwise Sven will try it eventually.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#516 Post by Spearmint »

no, 73 + 78 + 73 + 72gp = +296gp from bazaar trinket haul.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#517 Post by Rex »

Orgoth is busy with other stuff so will leave the selling stuff to others.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#518 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:27 pm
no, 73 + 78 + 73 + 72gp = +296gp from bazaar trinket haul.
Ah, okay.

Even better. :D
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#519 Post by Rex »

It is looking better than I expected.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#520 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I will keep tweaking this as I get time, but here is what I have so far.

Splits:
Amos
Yardie
Orgoth
Sven
Gerdal
Gnimish
Isvand

Kills

? Hobgoblin Raiders
? Warg mounts

Rot Grubs
2 Ghoulish Witch-Women
2 Mushroom Men
Shrieker/Gas Spore/Fungus
3 Grotesque
Coffer Ooze
Tick Swarm
Large Stag
3 Kech

Loot

938gp
+
6- 50gp gems
=
1238gp
Guild Percentage: 62gp
=
/
=
168gp each
(giving Yardie a full share of gold to compensate waiting for his Cure Disease)

Herne Yew Bow (key?)
Herne Antlered Helm (key?)

a large drinking horn made from Mammoth tusk Sven
a bearskin cloak Isvand
a leather quiver filled with finely fletched silver tipped arrows Yardie
Stained glass vials of Holy Water (x2) 1 each remaining for Gerdal and Isvand

Varnished Urn, found on body in first room, appraised circa +50gp

a large leaden key, inset with a green and yellowish stained gemstone, a type of Chrysoberyl

Vial of Mummy Dust

grains are little pea sized seeds, dry and old but still fresh and free of any contagion. Between the mages, you can identify them as some type of ancient papyrus.

bizarre black leather death mask. It has a large beak studded with horn and having extended eyepieces that are fitted like some kind of goggle

One ancient helm encrusted with semi-precious gemstones. Needs polishing, seems more ceremonial than functional. The interior is lined with black velvet.

A Runic Tablet used as a pillow. The tablet is etched in old common, but readable. The headline on the tablet just states: Obituary to Vanity. From experience you know reading the full verses triggers the runes to effect random banes or blessings though via an Identify casting, a more specific diagnosis can be understood.

A mammoth ivory hilted dagger and an ivory carved death mask. They seem a matching pair, the hilt having faces in the sides and the mask having daggers etched in the cheeks

a large pewter tankard etched with gold leaf around the rim, base and handle

pouch of throwing darts which may be thrown or trimmed down and used in a blowpipe

metal cylinder with a cork stopper. It looks like a storage jar, about two feet high and a few inches wide. Looking inside you see it contains a thick viscous mud, gnolems say it contains 'a guardian earth elemental'

The first sheaf is a ledger note, titled Emporium's: acquisition invoices. The other sheafs are odd numbered pages of a research project detailing a new spell that focuses upon ... oh! that would be detailed on the even numbered page ... You can conclude that Reggino was selling the pages at 50gp a each to an alchemist or mage? you will need further study to interpret this find to either complete the research and create a new spell or sell the remaining six pages to the researcher.

2 wrappings/bandages enchanted with a necromantic radiance one going to the church, while the other will remain as property of the Guild, counting as the 5% fee.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”