Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

#441 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss shows the map for anyone who can translate elvish and makes a copy with notes for those that can't.

If we can make the tower rooms secure, he has no problem in staying there to recover hp and look after stuff if he will hinder the folk searching if he joins them. .
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#442 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I thought we were heading to the second shed first. But either one is fine. Able will follow,
way of the traps he had pointed out earlier in the morning.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#443 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Oh, sorry. Forgot about the second shed. We can get that last. Order doesn't really matter, I think...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Fingers peers at the map. "Sure would be handy to be able to read that. Anyone know how to read elf?" He looks at the assembled group of dwarves and humans, and huffs. "Well, maybe someone in town can translate it for us."

"So, what now? Drag all this silver back to town? Or are there other buildings we haven't checked yet?"
I'll look at this stuff - and anything else we find - for magic t'morra. I never had the chance to let y'ins know that the head dress is magical, but I don't know how. That handaxe Rhybek grabbed up is magic, too. And the cloak and all o'them scrolls and them potions too. And the copper disc amulet.

This information came via a PM after we had opened the shed. I just remembered that I hadn't passed the information along. Can't wait to see what that headdress might offer - will it ever be worth walking around with a feathered headdress on?

Ablesforth would be carrying the undead scroll with him as we explore the grounds.

Kobold headdress: imbued item, 2001xp
Dwarven handaxe: imbued item, 4001xp
Elven Cloak: created item (elven, nature idioms)
Elven scroll: created item
Ward vs Undead scroll: created item (positive material idiom)
A copper disc-shaped amulet with a green patina hung from a golden chain: created item (Secrets, structure of ideal forms idioms)
Wizard Scroll (from pavilion): Created item
Wizard Scroll (from cave): Created item
Two potions: Created item, same type
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss studies the map written in elvish and share what it says. (I will let Marullus post a copy in the maps section forum).

Idriss finds that it is a map, not a magical scroll (no read magic needed). Fortunately, it is written in Elvish, which Idriss is fluent in anyway.

You're able to orient the map based on the presence of the large solitary mountain in the northeast corner, which you presume is the giant peak north of Gaul. The map shows the outline of a "deep forest," the interior of which is unexplored, and then southwest of that a deep and forboding swamp. There is a mark on the plains (south of the forest and east of the swamp) showing "The City of Zhint" and midway between there and the mountains to the south is marked "The Blood Circle." Notes tell of "The Keep of Glass" on west flank of the solitary mountain's slope and a warning of giants on the peak above.

The primary feature of the map, however, is the "City of Zavarra" located in the swamps which dominate the southwest corner. There are many annotations here describing this as the focus of the explorer's intentions. It shows no pathways through the swampland and instead speaks of a powerful enchantment that bends the paths of any who seeks the city so they end up turning about and departing the swamp near where they entered. Notes tell of it as a place where the most powerful magics of the ancient Men were entombed, thus the great lengths to protect it. Some men live within since that time, generation upon generation, and one escaped past the magic - he speaks of a pathway (who's location he never revealed) through which he escaped without passing through the magical swamp, but also spoke of the Warden's Sigil, which was only possessed by those Wardens who protected the secrets within and with which one could find their way through the magical ward.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#446 Post by Zhym »

"D'ya think that amulet is the sigil thing?" asks Fingers.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:This information came via a PM after we had opened the shed. I just remembered that I hadn't passed the information along. Can't wait to see what that headdress might offer - will it ever be worth walking around with a feathered headdress on?

Ablesforth would be carrying the undead scroll with him as we explore the grounds.

Kobold headdress: imbued item, 2001xp
Dwarven handaxe: imbued item, 4001xp
Elven Cloak: created item (elven, nature idioms)
Elven scroll: created item
Ward vs Undead scroll: created item (positive material idiom)
A copper disc-shaped amulet with a green patina hung from a golden chain: created item (Secrets, structure of ideal forms idioms)
Wizard Scroll (from pavilion): Created item
Wizard Scroll (from cave): Created item
Two potions: Created item, same type
That's not a bad haul! I wonder what the headdress does.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#447 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek looks at Fingers quizzically.

"whaddya mean? Think it's the sigil?"

Were we looking for a sigil?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by Zhym »

"Idriss just said the map says the fancy city with lots of powerful magic is past a swamp you can't get through without a Warden's Sigil, right? So maybe this amulet's the sigil."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#449 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek nods in understanding, "Ahhhh... No, I don't."

He fumbles around with the silver sigil pendant he pulled from the body and holds it up in the air. "I think this is it. Look. It keeps pointing west. Maybe it's telling us what way to go... but... I think we should head back to town with what we have and launch a larger expedition to this fabled city, if that's what you lot want to do."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#450 Post by Zhym »

"Whadd'ya mean, no?" asks Fingers. "That's the amulet I'm talking about!"

"Okay. We'll go right after we're done checking these last two buildings."
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#451 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablseforth's jaw drops farther with each passing comment as he listens to the exchange between Fingers and Rhybek. Wait. Who's on first?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#452 Post by Marullus »

Map with Idriss's translations from the elvish:
Warden's Map.jpg
Warden's Map.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 513 times
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for your patience!

Having hauled the silver inside the tower and examined the map (with the aid of Idriss's translation), the group sets off through the tall, untrod grasses towards the stables at the west edge of the tower's little vale. Ablesforth has marked the pit traps and the group evades them easily, then crosses the remaining the distance. The structure remains standing, portions of the roof caved in but the sturdy oaken walls still intact. The group circles to the wide barn doors, fallen from their hinges. The group approaches with caution and peers inside, seeing the horse stalls lining both sides of the chamber. As they venture the first steps in, their eyes begin to adjust to the dim, filtered morning light coming through the holes in the roof above. Movement stirs - they see six spider-like creatures, their giant bodies six feet in length. Ruddy chestnut carapaces sport eight short arachnid legs, but giant mandibles large enough to easily crush a man are their primary feature. They shift, mandibles clicking and clattering to each other, as they hang above the horse stalls below. They do not appear to have noticed your entrance, as yet.

(Please post for your surprise round and round one.)

Date: 10:00am, 16 June 2021
Light: Sun
Distance travelled: none
Weather: 48F, Winds 12-19 NE, steady rain
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Idriss (moderate injury), Neegan (mild injury)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

this is definitely take talk, so let me know if you'd prefer to just respond IC, but Ablesforth has Speak With Animals memorized. We could try to parlay. But they probably will want to eat us and we lose the element of surprise. Thoughts? Or actions?
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#455 Post by Alethan »

Leave them alone?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by Zhym »

Fingers thinks of just one word: "poison." He doesn't want Sprinkes or himself to risk that. Making the "shh!" sound, he motions the group away from the deadly arachnids.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by Marullus »

The group backs out quietly, getting safely clear of the barn without the creatures pursuing. They stand now in the tall grasses and sunlight once again pondering their next move.

Date: 10:10am, 16 June 2021
Light: Sun
Distance travelled: none
Weather: 48F, Winds 12-19 NE, steady rain
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Idriss (moderate injury), Neegan (mild injury)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#458 Post by Zhym »

"The things out here are nasty," says Fingers. "Anyone mind if we skip exploring the last building and just get the hell back to Gaul?"
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seems a sound plan. But I'd like to try that last shed 'fore heading out, at least. Anyone else mind trying it? He heads toward the shed and listens at the door. Anyone else wanna take a listen?
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#460 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek agrees to listen at the door of the shed.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”