OOC 5 - Slow and Steady...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC 5 - Slow and Steady...

#441 Post by Zhym »

Can a spell be cast from ring of spell storing in the surprise segment?

I'm trying to figure out if Arqos and Gaerys should engage the giants & ogres, or pause for the MUs to lay some AoE spells down.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#442 Post by Magnus »

Zhym wrote:Can a spell be cast from ring of spell storing in the surprise segment?

I'm trying to figure out if Arqos and Gaerys should engage the giants & ogres, or pause for the MUs to lay some AoE spells down.
Yes, as noted earlier, a RoSS just fires off the spell, rather than it needing to be cast.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#443 Post by Cwreando »

If Andor cast sleet storm the version of ice storm that blinds an 80x80 section, will it also conceal the targets from our fighters shooting at the giants?

Are we allowed to discuss spell and melee strategies to optimize an attack?
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Zhym »

Cwreando wrote:Are we allowed to discuss spell and melee strategies to optimize an attack?
I think that's actively encouraged, with the caveat that eventually we have to declare actions, or Magnus will declare that the monsters have done something while we dithered.

We do so little ranged damage compared to what the giants can do (arrows vs. boulders is no contest, really), that I don't think making it harder to hit them from afar is that big a penalty. IMO, the surprise segment should be about softening up the giants and ogres as much as possible before Gaerys, Arqos, and possibly others charge in for hand-to-hand melee.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Zhym »

BTW, what ended up being the spells in the ring of spell storing?
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#446 Post by Cwreando »

Fireball or ice storm are my initial spell options I'm considering. Vorsyin has the ring and I don't know the final loading but it does have a fire elemental in it with a prot from evil as well. As for is I know it has charm monster, fire elemental and prot from evil and whatever Vorsyin added to it.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#447 Post by Storm11 »

If we could get a frost giant on its own charm monster might probe quite handy.

As we are up against frost Giants ice storm might not be the most effective attack do you think?
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#448 Post by Cwreando »

Ice storm does an AOE physical damage or blinding sleet/rain reducing movement to 50%. Totally effective. I just don't know if both Vorsyin and I should cast fireball? We should coordinate the spells though I don't want to plop an ice storm on a fire elemental.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#449 Post by Magnus »

hey gang...been really sick and now just catching up on work...will resolve surprise segment likely over the weekend.

Two game notes:

Chris is correct regarding Ice Storm.

Please make a final decision on what is in the ring of SS shortly -- otherwise, there is nothing in it. Chris gets the final word because it is his item.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#450 Post by OGRE MAGE »

It truly pains me to say this but I need to inform all of my DM's that I am leaving the board.

After 2 separate instances that I've experienced in the last week, both of which I found to be totally ridiculous, I've lost my desire, creativity, and ability to enjoy any of the great games on here that I once loved.

I reluctantly take full responsibility for what occurred in both cases, regardless of how misinterpreted and misconstrued things got. I definitely do not want this to reflect negatively on this forum or any of its moderators. This board is awesome and was one of the few enjoyable things I got to do in my life in a very long time.

I apologize for abandoning the many great DM's and all the fantastic players that I've had the pleasure of gaming with, and making friends with, over the last year. You were all so welcoming and helpful even though I was completely ignorant of the PbP system (amongst other things) and I really appreciated that. You have no idea how much I've learned and how much I've enjoyed the ride. Thank you all!
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#451 Post by Cwreando »

Sorry to see you go Ogre Mage. If you change your mind come on back.

Recommendations for the ring - Remove charm monster leaving Fire Elemental and Prot from Evil loaded. That puts 6 spell points in it. I say double that and add one more 1st level spell?

Thoughts - would we get move damage from several Fireball than a fire elemental before it dies?
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#452 Post by saalaria »

I thought we were going for long casting spells but i dont have any books to hand so difficult for me to see whats what before the weekend.

Glad youre feeling better Magnus. Lets kick some giant arse!

Sorry to see you go OM!
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by Zhym »

I'd load a fireball or two into the ring, off the top of my head. The 7-segment casting time would be good to cut down.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Storm11 »

Fireball is only 3 segments isn't it?

As for conjure elemental. Well it's of limited use long term. The wizard can't move and must concentrate upon the elemental taking them out of the fight for the duration of the spell or until it's destroyed, there is a chance each round it will turn upon the user anyway, and it must remain within 30 feet of the wizard to maintain the concentration connection. Unless it's in combat and it's dure to be targeted and destroyed within a few rounds it's more of a liability. Don't you think?

The druid conjuring of elementals is awesome as they wont turn and will willingly assist the party but the magic-user one is borked really. Stocking up on them I personally don't think is a great idea. But that's just my opinion.
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#455 Post by Cwreando »

Would it be safe to say Vorsyin loaded the ring with 2 fireballs and a magic missle. So final load out woud be.

Andor loaded it with prot from evil and fire elemental and removed charm monster (6)
Vorsyin loaded it with 2 x Fireball and one MM (7) total spell level in the ring is 13. Then handed the ring back to Andor?
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#456 Post by Magnus »

ugh...sorry guys, packing for unexpected business trip.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by Storm11 »

No worries
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#458 Post by Cwreando »

No worries. More time to plan. Hope it goes well.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#459 Post by Magnus »

who wants to take over Flambeau? OM confirmed that he is out...
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#460 Post by Zhym »

Ouch. I didn't think we'd get an update without Vorsyin at least being NPC'd.

How are we going to handle his actions if Computer +1 doesn't come back? We can't have another round without him doing something.

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”