Session 2: Return to the Citadel

DM: Dave
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Session 2: Return to the Citadel

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben having nowhere to go attacks the ice creature imp like thing fearing his weapon wont be effective against the steam like creature.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky gleefully laughs as the bolt pierces the backside of the steam creature. "They can be hit! He's not going to sit well after that one!"

She quickly reloads and fires another bolt at the steam creature.
Hand Crossbow attack: [1d20+5] = 1+5 = 6 oops!
While shooting, she starts cheerleading and trying to boost the morale of Kelben. "Something your own size to pick on Kelben! Make a pincushion out of it!" Using Bardic Inspiration on Kelben
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Hargrem stepped forward and saw the steam and ice imp. He thought to himself, Don't these two make a pair! I bet they will miss each other when they are gone. He then lifted his shield and spoke the same celestial words aimed at the steam imp. Hoping that he did not somehow forget the correct wording.
Sacred Flame Cantrip: [1d8] = 1

Now that's sad
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

Initiative Order
  1. Sky (23)
  2. Kelben (15)
  3. Ice & Steam (13)
  4. Klilxuac (10)
  5. Hargrem (9)
---

Round 2
Sky laughs gleefully as she watches her first bolt pierce the backside of the steam creature. "They can be hit! she exclaims, with a hint of relief detected. The bard quickly slides another bolt into the flight groove of her hand crossbow and hisses as her projectile fails to have the same success as her last attempt.

Spying Kelben eyeing the door, but unable to reach it, Sky looks to inspire the rogue. "Make a pincushion out of it!" she encourages, commenting on the similar size of the the imp and gnome. The inspired rogue, pinned in the near corner of the small room, lashes out with his rapier and watches as chips from the frozen creature are sent flying as the polished steel of his blade clips the ice creature -- and seemingly proving that both adversaries are capable of being harmed with normal weapons.

The pair of imp-like creatures continue to wail and shriek, as they float in front of Kelben and Klilxuac, lashing out angrily with their gnarly claws! The imp of steam keeps its focus on the rogue, but the dexterous gnome proves to be too difficult to pin down. The ice imp rakes the sorcerer with a perfectly placed strike, prying loose three bright red dragonborn scales, but Klilxuac feels only a scratch to his flesh and a slight burst of freezing energy in the clawed area. (-4)

Trapped, and now bleeding from two wounds, Klilxuac hurls another mote of flame at the icy creature, and while his aim is less than perfect, the ice creature reacts angrily and elicits a shrill shriek as the fire bolt melts a small hole into its icy exterior.

Hargrem refocuses his divine energy and sends another burst of flame-like radiance from his shield in the direction of the steam creature directly in front of him, but the steam imp once again appears to be able to fight off the effects of the radiant spell.
R2.jpg
R2.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
As Sky and Kelben ready their next actions, the group observes that each of the imp-like creatures are show signs of their wounds, and you would guess they're each at roughly half strength.

---

Moving to Round 3.

Ed, for the next 10-minutes in the game, Kelben benefits from the 'Bardic Inspiration' targeted him with:
"Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls the d20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails."
I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory (e.g. per "... the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes ...," you can add a [1d6] to the normal [1d20] you'd roll when making an attack (or using an ability or making a saving throw) but let me know if you have any questions about how to use this.

Please declare all Movement and any Actions (e.g. reactions, bonus, readied) as necessary.

---

Date: 13 Flamerule 1489
Time: 13:45 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Temp: 62°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 13 Flamerule @ 14:32)
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 13 Flamerule @ 21:33)
  • Kelben: 'Bardic Inspiration' (1d6) (from Sky)
Character Status
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue ( 2) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 17 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (2) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 15 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (2) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 14-5 = 9-4 = 5 | AC: (15) 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
    • Languages: Common, Draconic, Elvish, Abyssal
      Spell Slots: 0: 4, 1st: 3, 2
      Breath Weapon: 1 (DC: 11 | Damage 2d6; save for half)
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HP: 17 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
GreyWolfVT

#45 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben feeling less hesitant than before takes another swing at the ice imp-like creature.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

"It seems to be ignoring your fire Hargrem! Use something pointy!" Sky reloads and fires once more at the steamy imp.
Hand Crossbow: [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7 good lord. maybe I'll have dave roll again.
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Thanks to Sky, the cleric noticed that he was having little damaging effect on the imp creatures. But, he also noticed that the Klilxuac was starting to bear the brunt of the attacks by the imps. Using his shield, he made some delicate movements and spoke Tymora, grant this creature your favor and your protection, as he pointed at the dragonborn. He watched as a shimmering shield enveloped Klilxuac. He said his final instructions to him, You are protected, but should you attack one of them, the blessing shall end.

He readied his mace and struck out at the steam imp in an effort to do some damage to it. His swing came down with a grunt from him as it struck true. He yelled at it, If you resist my spell, you shall not resist my mace!
Move: None
Bonus Action: Cast Sanctuary on Klilxuac - WIS 13 save
Action: Attack Steam Imp
To Hit: [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13
Damage: [1d6] = 5
OOC: scott, since Hargrem is last on the initiative, this spell will apply to the next round. You can attack freely this round, but next round, if you do, it'll go poof.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#48 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Realizing that if he remains trapped in the room with the imps, he may not survive the fight. A change of tactics is called for. With the steamy imp the one actually blocking him in the room, he focuses his magical ill-will upon it, sending three glowing motes of pure energy straight into the torso of the evil creature, hoping to kill it so he can escape.
Magic Missile (Force Damage): [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3; [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5; [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

I want to make a check, see if Klilxuac recognizes exactly what these are. I think arcana, but don't know for sure what you will want, so please adjust the bonus accordingly if he should have rolled something different.
Arcana: [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by dmw71 »

Victory! (But... )
"It seems to be ignoring your fire, Hargrem! Use something pointy!" Sky purrs while reloading her crossbow. With her next bolt locked in place, the tabaxi takes aim at the imp made of steam and hisses as she watches her bolt sails harmlessly over the head of the small creature.

Feeling inspired, Kelben slashes down at the icy imp with his rapier and connects with a powerful slash, removing a chunk of the frozen water that used to make up the fiends' left foot.

The rogue's successful attack manages to draws the attention of the ice creature as it turns and joins the steam imp in paring up on the gnome! Kelben, determined, is able to deftly duck and dodge out of the way of one claw attack, then the other!

Klilxuac shifts focus and, looking to create an escape route, focuses his magical ill-will upon the steam imp blocking their path. A trio of magical glowing darts, one after the other, unerringly strike the misty form. As the final projectile connects, the creature explodes in a cloud of steam, which risks exposing everyone to the fiery mist!

Hargrem, realizing Klilxuac may require some assistance, considers a spell to cast in his aid. But first, the cleric, seeing the icy creature heavily damaged, grunts as he brings his mace down with all his might, connecting. The powerful blow shatters what remains of its icy form, which triggers yet another explosion, causing himself, Klilxuac, and Kelben fending off shards of flying glass!
Victory.jpg
Victory.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
After everyone seeks cover from the chain reaction of explosions, a sense of calm prevails over the room. Aside from the ice fragments which now decorate the floor, only the punctured keg remains as an object of potential interest.

Otherwise, the wooden door on the far wall, where the hint of whimpering was previously heard, appears to be the only means of progressing.

---

Excellent work, guys, but it's not quite over. I am going to need the following saving throws:
  • Ice
    - Affects: Hargrem, Kelben, and Klilxuac (Sky is safe from this one.)
    When it dies, it explodes in a burst of jagged ice. Each creature within 5 feet of it must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, taking 1d8 slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • Steam
    - Affects: Everyone
    When it dies, it explodes in a cloud of steam. Each creature within 5 feet of the mephit must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage.

So, I will need everyone except Sky to make two Dexterity saving throws (please note in your roll which save is which, as one (ice) is save or half damage while the other (steam) is save or escape all damage) If the saves are not labeled, they will be processed in this order: ice, then steam. (Sky only needs to make the one save versus steam damage.)

Shaede, I will rule that Hargrem did not need to cast 'sanctuary' and can save that spell slot.

FYI...
Entering round 3, each of the creatures had 12 hit points remaining... and you guys did exactly the amount of damage needed to kill them -- Klilxuac did 12 damage with his magic missile to kill the one made of steam; then Kelben did 7 and Hargrem the other 5 against the one made of ice.

---

Time: 13:46 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 13 Flamerule @ 14:32)
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (Cantrip) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.) (Detailed in 'Light Sources' section, above.)
  • Kelben: 'Bardic Inspiration' (1d6) (from Sky)
Character Status
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue ( 2) | NG | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 17-7 = 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (2) | CN | HD: 1d8 (5) | HP: 15 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (2) | CG | HD: 1d6 (4) | HP: 14-5 = 9-4 = 5-4 = 1 | AC: (15) 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
      Spell Slots: 0: 4, 1st: 3, 2, 1
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HP: 17 | AC: 17-9 = 8 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

uh save rolls? Macros only have +2 in them but a save is +4 I didn't feel like making a second dex macro Dexterity [1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6Dexterity [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#51 Post by dmw71 »

Note: I will track the results here in this post, and will simply edit the last update with the outcome of each saving throw as they're made.

Ice
Hargrem -- success ( -1 hp )
Kelben -- failed ( -7 hp )
Klilxuac -- success ( -4 hp )

Steam
Hargrem -- success
Kelben -- success
Klilxuac -- success
Sky

Please make sure you update your character sheets to reflect any damage taken.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#52 Post by Shaede »

Steam Dex Save: [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4
Ice Dex Save: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18
Scott308

#53 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

You know, I thought I had read about something like this before, but it wasn't until they exploded upon death that I realized just what they are...were. They are called mephits, and there are, oh, half dozen or so I know of. They're minor elementals, and can be pretty nasty little beasts, as you saw for yourselves.
Last edited by Scott308 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben sheaths his rapier and raises questioning eyebrow at the explanation "Mephits huh? Well hadn't heard of them before today but at least we're alive. Now shall we see what was whimpering beyond that last door?"

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The explosive mephits shocked all of them when they went off like orbs at a magic show. The cleric noticed that his fellow companions took the brunt of the damage and peered at their wounds. Before we move forward, it seems that all of us have been hurt pretty badly. I fear that I do not have enough magic in me to heal us all completely. Should we take a short rest before moving forward?, Hargrem said to the others. That room seems very defensible, pointing to the room to the north.
All of our HPs are pretty low. I suggest we burn some hit dice on a short rest.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky
Dexterity Save: [1d20+5] = 9+5 = 14
Her cat-like reflexes shine as she dives away from the exploding steam as the sound of a thousand shards of ice exploding off the stone walls reverberates through the hall.

"Huh. Guess they went out like they came in. Loudly." She gets up and starts grooming herself to clean off the dust. "That steam is doing wonders for my fur! Maybe I need one of those in some sort of portable device. Like a small kettle or something."

Sky finally notices that the others didn't fare quite as well as she. "Ah. Right. Yes, a rest might do everyone some good." She perks up. "You know. I think I have the perfect resting music to help soothe your soul."
Scott308

#57 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Yes, I think a short rest would be a wonderful idea. Let's take a break in the room to the north before investigating the noise behind the other door.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

Upon agreement of the others, Hargrem made his way to the deserted storage room and started to lay out his bedroll for something comfortable to sit on. He sat indian style with his shield still strapped to his arm. He looked over at Klilxuac and started speaking again in his celestial voice. It was beautiful and melodious (but not any more than the tabaxi's) and a slight glimmer appeared on the crest of his shield. Looking at it, the dragonborn felt refreshed as some of his wounds start to close. Tymora is good to all but she can also be bad, depending on your luck. Today, you have her favor Klilxuac, he said.

When Hargrem finished, he laid down his shield and spent some quiet time meditating to himself enjoying the comfort and peace the room provided.
Channel Divinity: Preserve Life: Heal Klilxuac for 6 HPs
Short Rest
I think thats all I can do because everyone else is over half their maximum health.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by dmw71 »

Recovery
After the pair of explosions rock the room the group occupies, a new battle of sorts is underway as shards of ice fight to survive against the intense heat of the steam released after the destruction of the mephit of those forms.

The ice is far more effective in causing harm as as only Sky is spared from being pelted by a variety of ice shards being shot in all directions. Thankfully, the steam is far more effective against the ice than it is any of the party members, as no one suffers any additional scalding damage... and the tabaxi openly comments about how the steam is doing wonders to her fur, and ponders the possibility of obtaining a portal device that could have the same effect... but safely. Maybe Kerowyn Hucrele, owner of the General Store back in Oakhurst might have something she could use? A kettle, perhaps.

Once the dust settles, Sky stands as the only member of the party still at full health. Kelben and Hargrem find themselves at roughly half-strength, and Klilxuac is left nursing heavy wounds after barely winning the battle to remain conscious.

The punctured keg, which now has additional holes set into it from the flying fragments of ice, remains the only object of potential interest in the room.

"I fear that I do not have enough magic in me to heal us all completely,". Hargrem volunteers. "Should we take a short rest before moving forward?

While the room across the hall is more roomy, and could prove to be easily defensible, Sky, responsible for opening that door previously, notes that it did not have a lock. Meanwhile, the door to the current room, with the relief of a dragon-like fish carved into it, does have a fairly elaborate keyhole lock that took Kelben two attempts to pick successfully... and the lock is on the inside of the door, that the group now has access to.

---

Regardless of the room choosen, Hargrem, after laying down his bedroll, initially sits with his legs crossed and his shield still strapped to his arm. He begins speaking in his celestial voice causing a slight glimmer appears on the crest of his shield, which results in some of Klilxuac's wounds starting to close. "Tymora is good to all, but she can also be bad, depending on your luck," the cleric says. "Today, you have her favor," he says to the dragonborn before settling down and spending some quiet time meditating.

Sky plays some perfect resting music -- softly -- during the hour of downtime.

Aside from a few hints of whimpering sounds coming from the unexplored area beyond the wooden door outside, and one brief scurrying sound, they are able to rest successfully for the next hour.

At the end of the hour, Klilxuac recasts his purple light cantrip.

---

No map update.

Okay, here is where things stand.
  • Kelben and Klilxuac each have 7 damage, and Hargrem has 8.
  • Since you are able to successfully complete a Short Rest, per the following rule, you can spend a hit die (or hit dice) to recover hit points:
    "A short rest is a period of downtime, at least 1 hour long, during which a character does nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds.

A character can spend one or more Hit Dice at the end of a short rest, up to the character’s maximum number of Hit Dice, which is equal to the character’s level. For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it. The character regains hit points equal to the total (minimum of 0). The player can decide to spend an additional Hit Die after each roll."
  • Note, if you do spend any hit dice to recover hit points, Sky also performed his 'Song of Rest' which, according to the following, will allow you to regain an extra 1d6 hit points.
    "Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest by spending one or more Hit Dice, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points."
  • It takes a Long Rest to recover spell slots, but both Sky and Hargrem still have all 3 of their spells, and Klilxuac still has 1 of his 3 remaining.
  • Hargrem recovers his Channel Divinity feature.

I will let you guys go ahead and spend any hit dice as desired. In the meantime, does anyone have any questions or have other actions they'd like to take before moving on?

---

Time: 14:47 (Sunrise: 05:54, Sunset: 20:09)
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (purple; 20' radius + 20' dim) on small pebble (Extinguished: 13 Flamerule @ 15:48)
Character Status
  • GreyWolfVT | Kelben | Rock Gnome | Rogue ( 2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 17-7 = 10 | AC: 13 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 11 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Monsieur Rose | Sky | Tabaxi | Bard (2) | CN | HD (1d8): 2 | HP: 15 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Perception: 13 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: Yes ---
  • Scott308 | Klilxuac | Dragonborn (Red) | Sorcerer (2) | CG | HD (1d6): 2, 1 | HP: 14-5 = 9-4 = 5-4 = 1+6 = 7+4 = 11 | AC: (15) 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Perception: 12 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
      Spell Slots: 0: 4, 1st: 3, 2, 1
      Features:
    ---
  • Shaede | Hargrem | Human (Variant) | Cleric (2) | NG | HD (1d8): 2, 1 | HP: 17 | AC: 17 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Perception: 15 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: Yes
---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Klilxuac | Sky