Expedition: Bianca to the North Woods - 03 Aug 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition: Bianca to the North Woods - 03 Aug 2021

#41 Post by Alethan »

Willow steps into line towards the rear of the marching order, keeping her eyes and ears tuned to the sounds of the woods instead of the sounds of her companions' creaking armour and talk.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman
(Sorry for the delay!)

The Grizzly Woman checks the bears wounds and pats him on the back, letting him lick them clean while she helps Winnie dispatch the helpless baboons, snapping their necks in her large hands. She stops and shrugs when the others plea for them to show at least some mercy. "I do not like baboons much because of what they do to sneak up on you when you are not looking. It is no good sleeping easy at night with them hooting around in the dark like they do."

Towering over Bianca, the giant woman looks down and is brought back to the present circumstances. "Oh he is usually a good enough critter that he will not bite little witch. If he does you just give him some berries or you wrestle and show him who is in charge. But I deem he does not look much in trouble. He will lick his wounds and that will be that for now so the others will appreciate healing first. As for those pretty flowers if we keep them to take home for brewing and then that way we can still use them in a pinch out here if it comes to it."

As they collect themselves, she examines one of the baboons with mild interest, considering it for a meal. "The bear he may like a bit of baboon but I do not think he would eat much. They taste too stringy here and too much fat there in all the wrong places. I reckon I will pass on them too."

Continuing along, she takes up her position in the line but walks uncomfortably, worried that she will run into or step on Winnie's invisible form. "That is strange. I do not know if it I like it." The bear growls timidly.

Going back up thread: Grizzly is weighed down to a 60' move rate, but that will move up to 90' if there is an animal or cart to store her 36lb backpack.

She's been at Beith's Watch for the past month, eatin' well for herself and Huckleberry Bear. I'm taking off 62gp for 31 days of quality food for both of them.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Bluehorse »

Everyone just let me know how much you packs weigh and if they are going to Daystar or not, then I will update her weight, but she is good for up to 200lbs at full speed and is currently holding 51lbs. This will go down a little at a time as we eat rations which are roughly 1lb apiece if memory serves.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Marullus »

The group leaves the dead baboons behind on the forest floor, the three live ones having fled into the woods once released. Bianca chats with the invisible Winnie, wandering what happens with her eye lids. Grizzly Woman and Willow chat amiably as they pass through the woods. The bear chuffs and lumbers along near them.

Four hours pass, nothing but happy songbirds in the threes appearing to assail them. Now deeper in the forest, Bianca pauses and considers her direction.

Date: 03 August 2021, 5:20pm
Distance: ~12 miles
Effects: Invisibility (Winnie)
Injuries: Halla (minor wound), Huckleberry (minor wound), Willow (minor wound)

Once they are so far in, she will begin looking for a trail or other path that can be blazed turning northward to cover the planned terrain they intended to explore.
I don't understand what you intend here. What territory did you intend to explore? Can you be more specific with your plan? What direction, for how long, looking for what?
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That was my understanding when we discussed this trek. Looks good to me.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Your map shows four miles to the forest from Beith's Watch - it was eight miles. You're now four miles further into the forest from there (12 total).

I can still turn you due-north from where you are?
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie's voice comes out of thin air. I'm happy to turn north here.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

For matters such as when and where to turn for exploration, Willow is content with following along with whatever the party leader decides is best.

OOC: Don't think the group should hold for basic travel decisions; most of us are just along for the ride/adventure. If there is a specific path or direction you want to go, then that's cool. The rest of the party will follow... as long as it isn't into the maw of a dragon. Or darkness, obviously.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Clint will agreeably follow the nice ladies wherever they need him to go.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Starbeard »

(Yes, please. Grizzly would like to keep her 36lb pack on Daystar if possible)

The Grizzly Woman whistles amicably with the birds. "I am fine to go wherever it is we are going. It is nice to stretch the legs after such a long sit down."

I agree, things will go more smoothly if we let the party leader dictate travel direction until it becomes obvious that we have to weigh risks.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

The party turns north and begins heading deeper into the wood. The day becomes shadowed, the canopy so thick that it only allows in murky, indirect light. The tree trunks are huge, wider than your arms can go around, centuries old. The old growth forest has ferns and moss rather than undergrowth. You have the constant feeling that things are moving at the periphery of your vision. The loamy smell of mould and compost is ever-present.

The dim daylight fades to night after another four hours. The party settles into a small grove, gathering a fire to warm them through the night. The night passes uneventfully as each takes their turn on the watch and the morning light begins to filter through the branches, bringing another day for hiking in the woods. Everyone is rested, full from breakfast, and refreshed in prayers and studies.

(Subtract a ration, post daily spells on private forums)

As you pack up the campsite, Halla and Berra jump back with a scream from where they were about to load the pack saddle for Daystar. Two sinewy animals about three feet long leap out from the food-stores.
"Weaseljays!" yells Berra. It is covered in muted blue scales and has a body shaped like a weasel's. Its weasel face has both a powerful pointed beak and within it, needle-sharp teeth. From it's back protrude a pair of feathery blue wings. The two weasels hiss, ready to strike out at those who interrupted their meal, two others drop from the trees, their wings buffeting the other party members.

(No surprise round. Actions!)

Date: 04 August 2021, 6:58am
Distance: ~16-17 miles total
Effects: Invisibility (Winnie)
Injuries: Halla (minor wound), Huckleberry (minor wound), Willow (minor wound)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is there sufficient space/distance between the weasel-jays and the party members that Winnie could cast Web without hiting her friends? Would the saddlebags, etc be spared as well?

1.5 rations deducted for Winne and Mrs. Dash.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

The elf looks up, alert and snatches up her staff in both hands, rushing to stand between the attacking beasts and the mule Daystar, holding her staff protectively before her, guarding the mule as well as herself.

Okay, Daystar has both Clint and Grizzly's packs now, I still need a weight for Clint's to figure things properly, also, are your rations in the packs? That would drop them by 1lb each now.

Also, Marulius, are Halla and Berra's packs on the mule as well?

Anyone else?
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie has her own pack on her. (Only 36 pounds so it's not a big deal.) Halla and Bera should have their own as well. Just rations, sacks and a few other things.

Speaking of which, I've deducted their rations as well.
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman

-2 rations deducted, for her and the bear. Her pack on Daystar is now 34lbs.

The woman with no name, raised in the wilderness on bear's milk and true grit, that giant of a gal, that madam of the mountain, the longlegged lady who licked a hellhound, stands up and twirls The Mighty Grizzly's Trunk around her head as though it were a handkerchief and tries to bat one of the falling weaseljays out of the air, but all of the forest clutter gets in the way. "Why you varmints better get down here and on your own feet or I will wallop you one," she exclaims in frustration.

The bear stands up on its hind legs by her side and roars, challenging the nearest critter to take him on.

The Grizzly's Trunk +1 (provides -1AC vs natural weapons) [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5, damage [1d10+3] = 9+3 = 12

Huck's routine 1 (ThAC0 17): Claw [1d20] = 11 Dam [1d3] = 2, Claw [1d20] = 8 Dam [1d3] = 3

Huck's routine 2 (ThAC0 17): Bite [1d20] = 17 Dam [1d6] = 6
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

Willow ineffectively swats at one of the weaseljays with her mace...

Mace THAC019 [1d20] = 3 Damage [1d6] = 3
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

Web Spell:
Okay, so Lab Lord doesn't specify the volume of webs. 1st Edition AD&D said it was eight cubic inches. 2nd Edition AD&D said it was 8,000 cubic feet (eight 10' cubes on a map). Some say it must be anchored, or it collapses. We need something in-between, and to accommodate our abstract (non-tactical map) system here on the forum. I also am trying to balance it with Entangle, Hold Person, and Hold Monster for duration, saves, and breadth.

I propose:
  • You can cast it on one creature (it envelops, rather than anchors) for full effect. If they're larger than an ogre, they get a save vs paralyzation, and they can't be larger than 30'. Otherwise, no save.
  • Anyone in the web can break out in rounds per the spell description. The Witch ability to have 150% effect applies to the length of time to escape a web (wild-infused webs are extra thick and strong).
  • You can use it to fill an area from two to eight 10' cubes. It can be cut/burned through per the spell description. Anyone encountering it unexpectedly or wading into melee against a trapped foe gets a save vs paralyzation to get trapped.
  • You can cast it in an anchored position to snare a flying or charging foe (same two to eight cubes). All relevant foes get a save vs paralyzation or get snared.

Does that sound fair?

In this particular circumstance:
  • Casting on the two which are eating rations from your packs, which Halla and Berra just uncovered, would ensnare all the gear that was on Daystar and cause Halla and Berra to make a savings throw.
  • Casting it into the canopy in an attempt to ensnare the other two weaseljays would not imperil your friends and would force them to make a save or get snared.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”