The Keep

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Keep

#41 Post by Bloodaxe »

The innkeeper points to a doorway and leads you inside. Common room, 1 silver a person , each night. Cheapest I got.

It's a large room filled with t least two dozen sleeping pallets. A small chest at the foot of each 'bed'. A fireplace is in one wall, so at least it will be warm. A half dozen travellers are already resting about.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thought I would point out that Gunther will not need his leather armor, should anyone want to "borrow" it. (It is yours to keep if he dies.) No charge on that because Gunther is a nice guy.

Also, Clay has some gold to loan out if anyone desperately needs equipment.

Clay Dreaver, former locksmith-journeyman
Clay narrows his eyes at the innkeeper. I'll give you 1 gold for the lot of us.

I believe there are 11 of us right now. If there are less... then Clay wants better rooms! :P
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Bloodaxe »

The Innkeeper nods and holds out his palm.
Fine.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay handed the coin to the innkeeper. Enjoy the night folks.
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Bloodaxe »

The night is pretty comfortable and passes without incident. A tray of two day old bread is set out in the morning. Whats your next move? You have a rough idea where the caves area is, also where the caravan was ambushed along the road. You can also make any other preparations you like. Your choice.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by ybn1197 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Gared Harth - surly woodcutter

Prices - should be about 1/4 of the book's price.
  • backpack - sold to Gareth for a promise of 5 sp
    chainmail - given to Gunther for his share of the loot and lots of protection
    warhammer - 1 gp and 5 sp
    mace - 1 gp
    lantern - 3 gp
    two flasks of oil - 5 cp
    tinderbox - sold to Gareth for 5 sp.

Just post if you want something and it's yours. First come, first served.
Adair sheepishly clears his throat. "The brethren at the monastery always preached to never spill blood. If you do not mind, I would like to take the mace, on credit of course."

Meanwhile, Kinnard attempts to work a deal with Gunther for the leather armor.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Gared Harth - surly woodcutter
Gareth lays down his axes and hefts the warhammer. I'll owe you for this, city-boy. Unless you die.

Clay sizes up Adair before nodding. Of course. He nods more reluctantly to the woodcutter. He makes a mental note of who owes him what, sealing each deal with a handshake all the while knowing he should have bought a quill and ink.

Gunther Biltimere, eighth son of a peasant farmer
Gunther happily hands Kinnard the leather armor shrugging off any attempt at payment for it. It always chaffed me in the crotch. Gave me an awful rash. Hope it fits you better.

Anyone want an axe (or two)? Gared will carry them along, but won't likely use them except to chop wood.

Prices - should be about 1/4 of the book's price.
  • backpack - sold to Gareth for the promise of 5 sp
    chainmail - given to Gunther for his share of the loot and lots of protection
    warhammer - given to Gared for the promise of 1 gp and 5 sp
    mace - Given to Adair for the promise of 1 gp
    tinderbox - sold to Gareth for 5 sp.
    lantern - 3 gp
    two flasks of oil - 5 cp
    2 hand axes - free

Just post if you want something and it's yours. First come, first served.
LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by LtTibbles »

Napius Umbus - Local Hermit
"I'd like to express my interest of procuring that lamp and oil from your person." Napius begins to fish his robe for the proper amount of coinage.

Lobo Hornwood - Former Halfling Baker

The halfing rubs his chin in thought."I suppose I could take one of those axes, probably serve me better than this pig sticker I have."
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Gared passes the axe - one-handed - to Lobo, handle first. You ever use one of these? You'll be short a few of them furry toes of yours if you aren't careful.

Clay grabbed up the coins to stow them away with a smile, not bothering to help Napius gather his belongings. Seeing he was free of the bulky items, Clay dismissed himself and headed to bed. See you all in the morning.

how many coppers to change my money? It will be 2-3 platinums and a silver or two.

Me unless someone claims the other axe or wants something bought for them, my characters are good to go. :) I will post Gared in the characters thread later today.

-------------------
Just two coppers for such a small amount.
LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by LtTibbles »

Lobo Hornwood, Halfling Baker

Lobo inspects his new weapon trying to get a feel for the weight in his hands. "Aye, the sharp part goes into the enemy right.?" He says with a grin.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Mister-Kent »

Anne, fightin' farm girl

Anne approaches the woodcutter Gared. "Sir...I believe I could make use of that axe," she says with a confident smile.
Last edited by Mister-Kent on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The surly woodsman laughed. Har! D'ja hear that!? She called me 'sir!' He looked Anne up and down momentarily before speaking again. I'm about as genteel as yer papa, judging by the dirt under your cracked nails, girly. Just call me 'Harth.'

He handed the axe over without further pause. A runt-of-the-litter and a flat-chested farmer-girl. Well, at least you look like you might've used one of these before. Use them like you would on a tree. hack at the trunk. He turned back to Lobo. Well you might just aim for the legs and keep chopping until them hobgobbers are your height. Then aim for the trunk. Har! He thumped Anne and Lobo on the back jovially before heading off to the common room to bed down.

The loud laughter caused the snoozing Gunther to stir. Seeing he had no other business and there was no more food or drink, Gunther groggily followed the woodcutter to the common room, desperately trying to avoid stumbling into other pallets as he went. He fumbled a bit at his chain mail before giving up. He woke the next morning with an unflattering pattern pressed into his skin. It took some explaining from the party for him to understand why he was in new armor or where they were heading and why. I agreed to what? St Cuthbert protect me... He pressed his fingers hard into his temples to take away the throbbing in his head. I have never drank so much before. Did I snore much?

Now I am really ready to head to the wilderness! :)
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Bloodaxe »

You make your last minute preparations and head out of the Keep. The day is bright and the sky clear as you get an early start. You follow the road and head through the small town and into the wilderness. You make good time on the road and you soon get to the spot where the caravan ambush took place. There is still a few bits of debris scattered about. A split shield, a few broken arrows, churned up ground and a few spots of blood. There is a noticeable path at the side of the road leading on towards the cave area. You take it until you get to a valley and see several cave openings easily visible. There may be more that you cant see, as there are several groups of trees & brush that block your sight.
Attachments
9023f8596bf18a97f45e8a6ffdc2f698.jpg
9023f8596bf18a97f45e8a6ffdc2f698.jpg (504.36 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As the party moved from the debris through the woods, Clay tried to mask how out of place he was feeling. He could not hide his red-face or labored breathing, but he could bury his fear of the new situation. Even as he was thinking he should have just apologized to Loxtley and kept on with his studies, he was dishing out orders. Well don't just stand there with your hands at your sides. Look around for tracks. No, no, no! In pairs! And keep your weapons ready!

Gunther was glad for the long walk from the Keep. His head was much clearer now and it had given him time to work the straps on his new armor - he found it more comfortable than the leather armor he had given to Kinnard. Gunther had been in the front of the group when they found the remains of the caravan. He thanked Cuthbert there were no bodies, though in retrospect that made him wonder if the dead had been eaten by the hobgoblins. His had went to his sword as he scanned the bushes.

As the caves appeared, Gunther was disappointed because there were too many options, but Clay's words gave him heart. There must be tracks. He drew his sword and scanned ground nearby looking for clues, remaining within a few feet of Clay, admiring the man for keeping his head in this situation.

Lower your voice, city-dog. Gared did not so much mind that Clay had presumed himself the leader, as he did the foibles he kept making. Twice Gared had to intervene to keep the citty-boy from wiping his butt with poisoned oak leaves, and now Clay was barking orders out in a valley filled with hobgoblins and other evils. Still, the advice was sound enough. He went to Jeswrath and Kinnard. C'mon you two, let's do as he says and start searching the area for more tracks.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ybn1197 »

Adair, illegitimate merchant's son
Adair could barely keep the shacking from showing. He clutched the haft of the mace more tightly in the hopes it would steady him. Looking around at all the cave openings merely sent another wave of fear down his spine. Silently he prayed to St. Cuthbert to give him the strength and resolve to meet his challenges head-on.

Kinnard, gravedigger
Kinnard watched as Clay gave out orders. He stood there, unsure as to what was expected of him till Gared approached him and gave Kinnard direction. Without a second thought Kinnard began to scour the ground for tracks and, more specifically, drag marks.
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by Bloodaxe »

New map with caves labeled.
Attachments
9023f8596bf18a97f45e8a6ffdc2f698.jpg
9023f8596bf18a97f45e8a6ffdc2f698.jpg (721.04 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by Bloodaxe »

The tracks you find are unusual to say the least.....all the caves have varied tracks.

Cave F seems the most recent, but all caves show evidence of activity.

Cave E has very large prints.

Cave A has smaller prints that look like dogs.

Cave J also has dog-like prints, but much larger. Wolves?

Cave G has prints that seem like animals or are completely unidentifiable.

Cave I has hooves.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Were any of the tracks (from the caravan site to where we are gathered now) recognizable or matching what we are seeing at this point?
Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by Bloodaxe »

You can't tell. Too many tracks around.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Gunther shrugged. Anyone know what a hobgoblin's feet looks like?

What does "very large" mean? Basketball player? Elephant? Dinosaur?

Return to “The Caves of Chaos (LL)”