III. To Belhaim

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: III. Belhaim

#41 Post by dmw71 »

As the collection of coins starts ringing down in a pile in front of the leader, those frog creatures nearest to the coins rush to begin collecting them, and look oddly at the coins from Kassal. The two frog beasts on the far east side step apart and lower their spears to begin allowing the group to pass. First Sparrow is allowed through, though the guards seem as reluctant to let him pass as the dark skinned human was to pay in the first place. Sylvan follows next. As Fulp moves to join Sparrow and Sylvan, the leader nods its head at the two "guards" on the side and they converge once again, crossing their spears to block his path. "No's coins's from's you's, yet's," the leader hisses.
sw_r2.png
sw_r2.png (94.83 KiB) Viewed 618 times
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan watches the two guards carefully. He says nothing, but one hand moves to the hilt of his sword while the other to his bag of mistletoe. His shield remains slung.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by onlyme »

Fulp discreetly pulls out a silver piece and tosses it to the collector.
This should cover two of us.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shakes his head slowly and prepares for trouble...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by dmw71 »

The two "guards" uncross their spears and turn them on Fulp; the tips of their weapons barely pierce the surface Fulp's leather, but are a simple thrust away from being dangerous. "The cost'sss is'sss five'sss coins'ss!" the leader hisses angrily.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

"They don't care about the value, Fulp; they're just worried about the number of coins."

Ciar looks at the leader and smiles in a friendly way while surreptitiously resting his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Can't believe these rookies left town without a handful of coppers," he says jokingly to the frog-man.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by onlyme »

Fulp quickly digs out 3 more silver and his one copper one left to hand over.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

Fulp inches back, creating some space between the spear tips and his armor, and quickly digs out the four extra coins and tosses them into the pile. With that, the frog guards both stand down. Fulp and the rest of the group freely pass the "guards" and joins Sylvan and Sparrow, while the frog creatures are clearly delighted with their haul... never noticing they are a coin short.

I will continue the party's journey later today, unless anyone has any plans for the frog creatures.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by dmw71 »

The group, having escaped the bullywug ambush with only slightly lighter purses, continues on their trek twoards Belhaim, only slightly delayed.   Silas scoffs at the level of "protection" he's receiving, but a reminder that he's still alive is enough to keep his complaints to a minimum.

A few more hours pass -- probably five or six hours total into the day's journey -- and the only other "threat" the group has faced are the pesky insects fluttering about, proving to be a genuine, but harmless, nuisance.   

Ahead, the track of land between the swampy shoreline and the forest narrows considerably for a stretch.

---

Please work out a single-file marching order for this area.   

Silas insists on being in the middle, so I will need a 'front three' and a 'rear three' order.

Also, if anyone does have plans for sticking around the area after the bullywug encounter, let me know now and we can resolve before pushing on (I'll still need the marching order, though).
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

Ciar stares ahead suspiciously. Finally, he says, "If you lot wanna wait here a bit, I can check out the area ahead and make sure there isn't another toll keeper waiting to ambush us. Won't be able to sneak up on anything, though, with all than chain mail jingling or you humans... er, breathing."
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by onlyme »

Fulp nods.
Yes, please do. I shall remain near the back anyway so as not to set too fast a pace, so scout ahead all you like. And, remember, we may need to break for dinner before too long. Should we do it before you go?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

Ciar nods, "a breather might not be a bad idea. Why don't we do that now. I'll take a quick break and then scout while the rest of you keep eating."

Unless anyone objects, Ciar will sit down, staying more than 20' from the shoreline in case any of those spitting things comes back around.

After a quick break and some dried tack, Ciar quietly stands and sets off down the road...
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan offers assistance to the surly halfling. "I am wearing leather. I lack your stealthy skills, but perhaps I should trail behind? My magic may be of use if you find yourself in a troublesome situation."

Regarding marching order, Sylvan would prefer to be anywhere but point. 3rd might be ideal as he can help out in case of danger.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shakes his head, "Sorry, mate. I can stay hidden a lot better on my own..."
Am going for this halfling attribute bonus: +4 Surprise bonus when alone or only with elves/halflings in non-metallic armour or 90' ahead of party
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by dmw71 »

Sylvan offers to trail Ciar, but the halfling insists he'd likely be better off scouting on his own. The rest of the group sits back and watches quietly, but attently as Ciar presses on ahead of them. 
-- Project --

-- DM --
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#56 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow eats, watches and listens.

Fiesty little bugger ain't he?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by AleBelly »

Alethan wrote:Ciar shakes his head, "Sorry, mate. I can stay hidden a lot better on my own..."
Am going for this halfling attribute bonus: +4 Surprise bonus when alone or only with elves/halflings in non-metallic armour or 90' ahead of party
"I understand. Give a shout if you get in trouble, and be safe" replies Sylvan.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by dmw71 »

The group watches as Ciar scouts off ahead on his own. He is approximately 200 feet away from the rest of the group, and is just about to reach the narrowest point between the forest and swamp when his progress is immediately halted.

The halfling is observed jumping back an instant before the squat form of a crocodile erupts from its hiding spot along the swampy shoreline. The powerful creature, easily over three times Ciar's full length, thrashes its tail against the water in obvious anger.

From your current position, the crocodile appears to be right on top of Ciar!

Actions?

Note: I will be handling the situation with Ciar in his private forum, so timing the actions of the two separate groups will be tricky, especially at first.
-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by onlyme »

Fulp sees danger ahead, and charges toward the possible battle.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

Almost as soon as you first take in the situation, you're able to make out the form of Ciar turn and furiously run back towards the group, angling away from the swamp as he does so.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Dave's 2E Sandbox”