Square One

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Square One

#41 Post by Computer +1 »

Where is the map of the room? Did I read correctly that there is not door, just a doorway?
Last edited by Computer +1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

Latest map is in this post, I believe: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=2338&start=440#p84908
tnrtm2.jpg
tnrtm2.jpg (201.18 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Also, sorry for Gaerys to be so short on why he's casting dispel magic, but you can't cast a spell and discuss why at the same time in-character.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Computer +1 »

The question of how they arrived hangs in the air without any answer forthcoming. Annoyed and frustrated, the bickering between the ranger and the thief annoys Vorsyin even more.

Both of you are correct. Detecting for magic and searching for traps are not mutually exclusive courses of action. I pray that you both continue. Indeed a magical trap could be set off but it would depend greatly on the nature of the magic.

I fixed my poorly html'ed posts, sorry
Last edited by Computer +1 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Recognizing the druidic spell Gaerys is beginning, Antheris says, "Gaerys, remember that charm will last but ten minutes or so, if your intent is to check the items in these boxes, you may want to wait until they are open."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by Magnus »

+15 minutes
68 degrees

The party continues to try and make sense of their current situation, while (healthily) debating their next move.

Antheris, as usual, boosts morale by breaking out the ale and warming the cold dungeon to a comfortable room temperature.

Tybalt stands watch over the party, while Hollis watches the area outside the room. There are no signs of active hostiles anywhere.

In the meantime, Niamah begins her a careful look over the chests, while Gaerys detects magic over the protest of certain party members.

The results of their efforts are provided below:

1. Huge Wooden Chest (unlocked); shoddy construction

2. Large Wooden Chest (unlocked); solid construction

***Trapped!! Scything blade trap will activate when chest is opened.

3. Medium Iron Chest (locked); rusty but solid

***Not Trapped

4. Large Sack

-- Filled with Copper Ingots
** Not Trapped

-------Nia Search For Traps Paused---------

5. Medium Iron Chest (unlocked)

6. Large Metal Coffer (locked)

7. Large Iron Chest (locked)

8. Small coffer (unlocked)

9. Medium fine steel chest (locked)

10. Small wooden chest, inlaid with Valeryian script.

****Magic Detected!!!

****Magic also detected on the yellow mold
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

"A good idea, Antheris," agrees Gaerys, "had I but paused to ask beforehand. I was hoping to get information to focus our efforts, however."

The ranger relays what he saw. "If that worked the way I hoped it would, the only chest holding anything magical is the small wooden chest with the Valyerian script. Perhaps we should focus our efforts there as a start. Of course, from what I understand, the metal chests may have blocked my detection, if the chests are thick enough. And that mold seems to be covering something magical. What to do about that?"

Without leaving this room, Gaerys peeks through the open doorway into the adjacent room. The mud pit should still be visible. Can he see it?

"If I can borrow the Valyrian cloak, I'll scout while the woman checks for traps," says Gaerys. "But I as far as I'm concerned, I just got a new mission objective: finding out why we're still alive. Did a god reach down and pull us from the fire? Was our salvation connected to the powerful evil we seek to destroy? Or perhaps a force opposed to it? Surely none of us have such power—do we?"

"I dislike being in debt and not knowing to whom," he states.
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by Sulara »

Niamah turns her back on the ranger and returns to her work"Do not put a woman's life in danger again while you to act without thought or care, she cannot speak for others but a rangers need to always rush forward puts all in danger." moving towards the box she looks carefully at the script and attempts to decipher it...
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

"So," Gaerys asks with a smirk, "you won't be loaning me your borrowed cloak, then?"

He also wonders to himself why Niamah appears so incurious about the party's recent transition from near-death to near-perfect health.

He turns to Antheris. "The cloak is yours, even if worn by her. Can I borrow it long enough to find out more about our current situation without risk?"
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin moves to get a good view of Niamah's work, although he stays a few steps back. He makes sure he is as far away from the mold as possible. The detected magic in the box and the mold could suggest an activation trap between the two. Thinking on the druid's words about light keeping the mold at bay he takes a coin from his pocket and casts Continual Light upon it.
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by Sulara »

Niamah nods to Vorsyin "Much is possible in magics.." She continues to study the box.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by saalaria »

Magnus wrote:+15 minutes
68 degrees

The party continues to try and make sense of their current situation, while (healthily) debating their next move.

Antheris, as usual, boosts morale by breaking out the ale and warming the cold dungeon to a comfortable room temperature.

Tybalt stands watch over the party. There are no signs of active hostiles anywhere.

In the meantime, Niamah begins her a careful look over the chests, while Gaerys detects magic over the protest of certain party members.

The results of their efforts are provided below:

***Not Trapped

4. Large Sack

-- Filled with Copper Ingots
** Not Trapped

-------Nia Search For Traps Paused---------

10. Small wooden chest, inlaid with Valeryian script.

****Magic Detected!!!

****Magic also detected on the yellow mold
Hollis is looking through the doorway Magnus
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris furrows his brow at the ranger's repeated mention of his cloak. Taking a swig of his ale, he says,

"Your obsession with my cloak clearly is not healthy. Please don't mention it again.
"Perhaps you would enjoy some ale while we wait for the work on the chests to be completed."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Magnus »

Roger, Saalaria. Edits made.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Magnus »

+20 minutes since first post

Niamah manages to decipher the ancient Valyerian script on the wooden box. It reads:

Within is the armor of Quaris Daegrarathia, Fifth of the Nine Conquerors of Ghis. Cast from the Iron of the Sky. Forged in the flames of the Fourteen Fires. Kissed by the Maiden of the Topless Tower.

Assuming she reads it aloud, Vorsyin and Lorath instantly recognize the name as a fabled Valyerian spellsword. If the script is accurate, this is truly a find!

Nia sees that the box may be opened via a complex lock and latch mechanism. Does she try to open the lock?

NB: Chest 1 is NOT trapped.
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by Sulara »

Niamah reads the script aloud and exhales deeply while looking at the lock..pointing to the first chest she says "A chest is open and safe, can be searched.. moving towards the third chest she knows not to be trapped but locked she begins to work on the lock " Must think..she mutters quietly to herself.
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Magnus »

+45 minutes from first post

Niamah inspects two more containers, and opens the unlocked, untrapped chests. She attempts to open a lock on the third chest, but cannot seem to do so.

She is aided by the bright light from Vorsyin's continual light spell. Curiously, the party holds Gaerys back from advance scouting, though it does not matter given that the thief's work is ultimately undisturbed.

Nia finds:

Opened: contains tens of thousands of copper coins, marked with direwolf head of the Starks

[100 of these coins = 1#]

***Not Trapped

NIAMAH's attempt to open the lock is unsuccessful!

4. Large Sack

Opened: Filled with 27 .5# Copper Ingots

*** Not Trapped

***Not trapped
--empty!

***TRAPPED! Poison needle trap in lock

The party is left to take further actions or simply let Nia finish her work.
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by Sulara »

Niamah will continue to find and attempt to open boxes without traps, her hope is to aquire anything else that may help the party before even looking at those that may maim or kill her... once all that are safe are completed the thief moves back to the magic chest....she again inspects for traps, if none are found... Niamah moves with the respect she feels for such an artifact, knowing the value this may bring to the quest. She raises a silent prayer and begins..
Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Todd Spengo »

Tybalt is happy to let Niamah finish her work. He continues to watch the doorway and listen for any approaches.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris will continue to watch and drink his ale while Niamah finishes with the chests.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Magnus »

+65 minutes

Nia continues her work as the remainder of the group watches. She manages to locate another trapped chest and find a substantial stash of coin. However, two containers are empty. She also determines that three chests are trapped, though of the sort that would kill the fool trying to open them but not the whole party. Finally, she manages a closer look at the magical chest, and determines that it is untrapped.

Further details below:

Opened: contains tens of thousands of copper coins, marked with direwolf head of the Starks

[100 of these coins = 1#]

***Not Trapped

-- NIAMAH's attempt to open the lock is unsuccessful!

4. Large Sack

Opened: Filled with 27 .5# Copper Ingots

*** Not Trapped

***Not trapped
--empty!

***TRAPPED! Poison needle trap in lock

**No trap detected
--Lock Opened! Chest filled with at least 20,000 iron triangles from the Iron Bank of Bravos. (value = 1 GP; weight 1/100# lb)

**No trap detected
--Empty!!!

** Trap discovered! Chest covered with corrosive poison (which will eat through a glove, etc.)

10. Small wooden chest, inlaid with Valeryian script. (Locked)

**No trap detected

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”