A New Beginning

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: A New Beginning

#41 Post by badams30 »

Wylo

Wylo pulls out his holy symbol and says a quick prayer to Eno, then with a determined glance at the shed he says "Shall we go, friends?"

Finton

Finton pulls his hood up and checks his equipment, then nods. "I'm ready. Let's find these children."

OOC: These guys are ready. Hopefully our lack of a strong sword arm won't hurt us. We're ready to go though.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by spanningtree »

Ceran - Elf

No time like the present. He will say approaching the shed and opening the door.

Leena - Mage

Lenna will also approach take the rear position. I guess it's a start... maybe not the one I imagined though. She will say with a shrug.

OCC: Yeah, we don't have a tank... yet. When we get some $$ I might equip Ceran that direction.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by sonofotho »

Ceran opens the door to the shed and leads the way inside. The wooden building is no more than twenty foot square and you feel a bit cramped as you squeeze in. A workbench stands to your right, atop which lie a couple hammers, nails, and a file. Along the opposite wall you see a wooden rack with shovels, picks, and large hammers. An open wooden barrel containing what looks to be a black, tar-like substance stands in the back left corner. You guess that the shed is used by those working in the sewers below.

In the back right corner of the shed you see the 'hole in floor' that Zako mentioned. A quick glance down reveals a set of stone stairs going down and to the left at a steep angle. A cool, damp air rises up from the hole in the floor.

ooc: Actions?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by spanningtree »

Leena - Mage

Leena will strike a torch and peer down the stairs. She will wait for the others to go before her.

Ceran - Elf

Drawing his sword he will creep down the stairs.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by badams30 »

Brother Wylo

Wylo smiles and follows Ceran down, gazing up at the two mages as he says "Watch your step!" And down he goes.

Finton

Finton cautiously goes down , glancing up one last time at the open portal above, wondering in silence if he'll survive to take advantage of the credit at the brothel...

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by sonofotho »

The stone stairs descend at a rather steep angle, spiraling down to the left. After a descent of maybe 25 feet, the stairs open into a smooth passage running to the west. The stone walls are damp and a heavy fetid odor hangs in the air. You ease your way forward down the passage and after 20 feet you reach a T-intersection.

Down the northern and southern passages you see torches in sconces on the wall. The torch to the south gutters while the one to the north burns brightly. Water drips from the ceiling (10' overhead) here, and you are certain that you hear the sound of moving water in both directions, although the passages run out of sight.

On the opposite wall of the passage some twenty feet across and half as much to the south, you see a wooden door. The door is slightly ajar and a flickering light spills out.

ooc: Actions? What marching order do you want to go with? Single file or two abreast?

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by badams30 »

Brother Wylo

Quietly says "Should we scout out the other directions before we check the door? I mean, in case we need to retreat."

Finton

Finton glances behind the group as we pause at the intersection, listening for anything out of the ordinary.

OOC: I'd say check the lighted doorway first, but while we are sitting here, do we see any fresh tracks or evidence of passage?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by spanningtree »

Leena - Mage

Let's check the door first, if we need to retreat we'll go back upstairs.

Ceran - Elf

Crean will quietly approach the door and see if he can hear anything.

OCC: Ceran will take a front postion. Leena will stay to the rear.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by badams30 »

Wylo

Wylo does his best to look imposing, and he draws his mace, standing behind Ceran, ready to brain anything that tries to harm him.

Finton

Finton glances at Wylo, looks back at Leena and rolls his eyes. He stands ready, his hand in his robes clutching a dart, just in case.

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#50 Post by sonofotho »

badams30 wrote:Brother Wylo
OOC: I'd say check the lighted doorway first, but while we are sitting here, do we see any fresh tracks or evidence of passage?
You do see faint tracks, footprints most likely, on the damp, dirty stone floor. The passage seems to be fairly heavily trafficked over to the door, and slightly less so to the north and south.
spanningtree wrote:Leena - Mage

Let's check the door first, if we need to retreat we'll go back upstairs.

Ceran - Elf

Crean will quietly approach the door and see if he can hear anything.

OCC: Ceran will take a front postion. Leena will stay to the rear.
When Ceran reaches the cracked door, he motions for everyone to be quiet. Peering through the crack, the elf sees a set of stone steps leading straight up. From up the stairs he hears the distinct sound of male voices, although he cannot make out what they are saying.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by badams30 »

Brother Wylo

Wylo whispers "Perhaps we could crack the door a bit more to better hear what's being said, and if they appear non-threatening, maybe we could announce ourselves and ask if they've seen anything." Wylo shrugs and looks about. He's happy to initiate conversation if needed.

Finton

Finton's eyes get wide at Wylo's suggestion, and he says "Well, if they get testy, I could put them to sleep, you know."

OOC: I'd be surprised if the source of the trouble was this close to the brothel, but you never know. I think we could ask in a friendly manner if these people know of anything suspicious, and if they get crazy, we sleep em'. That's all I've got...

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by spanningtree »

Ceran - Elf

Ceran will open the door a bit farther, about a quarter of the way.

Leena - Mage

Leena will jockey around a bit to see if she can get a better view. Yes, we should announce ourselves.

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by sonofotho »

You push the door open a little wider to try and make out what is being said. Peering up the stairs you see they go up maybe ten feet before turning to the left.

There are at least three male voices speaking Common out of sight at the top of the stairs. Only bits of the conversation are heard, but you catch the following...

"...sick of this shit assignment, stuck underground...."

"...watch out for the damn Thieves Guild..."

"...saw a nasty spider down that one tunnel..."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by spanningtree »

OCC: Do the stairs go above ground? IE: Is this the basement of a building?

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by sonofotho »

spanningtree wrote:OCC: Do the stairs go above ground? IE: Is this the basement of a building?
ooc: No, this would still be below ground. You descended 25-30 feet initially.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by badams30 »

OOC: What do you think? Wylo is crazy enough to go in and say hello. May be a bad idea, but either we say hello, barge in, or continue on.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by spanningtree »

Leena - Mage

We have to go in, they may very well have the kids.

Ceran - Elf

Ceran shrugs his shoulders and enters the room, moving toward the stairs to get a better look up.

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by sonofotho »

After a brief discussion the decision is taken to head up the stairs. Ceran leads the way and you all move to follow the elf. Suddenly the voices at the top of the stairs stop speaking and you hear a scrambling of feet and sliding of chairs.

"Ho! Who goes down there?"

Before you have a chance to really respond, three somewhat disheveled men of the City Watch appear at the top of the stairs. "You shouldn't be down here! Now what's yer business?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by spanningtree »

Ceran - Elf

It is I Ceran and my friends. We are in the place of splendor looking for 2-3 lost children. Were pretty sure they disappeared into these very sewers. Have you seen anything odd or out of place recently?

sonofotho
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by sonofotho »

"The only thing odd I've seen is an elf in the stinking sewers," barrels one portly Watchman as he comes down the stairs, followed by his two compatriots.

The men motion you to back out of the doorway and into the torchlit passageway. Once down they size you up and again the leader speaks, scratching his stubbly chin. "Now what in the Hells be you lot up to?"

Ceran explains again about the missing children and Madame von Vayle. The guard snorts. "So yer working for that harlot, eh? Look here, you shouldn't be down here. We ain't seen no kids and if they did come down here, nothing good came of 'em - that I promise you. Now get...."

The lead Watchman is interrupted by one of his compatriots who whispers something in his ear. The leader scratches his chin again. He looks you over again before continuing. "Of course we might reconsider if we could reach an agreement. How much gold is it worth to you to snoop around the tunnels, eh?"

Return to “Enharza and the Southern Isles (LL sandbox)”