Against Darkness

Eulalios

Re: Against Darkness

#41 Post by Eulalios »

"I lack the art to attempt that casting, but ... I have been cautioned that within the duration of the summons, an elemental almost inevitably will turn upon its summoner. Who stands ready to banish it?"

1 in 20 chance of disaster each round, for 99 rounds ... ?(

EDIT: apostrophe usage ... really, how did I get that wrong?
Last edited by Eulalios on Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Computer +1 »

I was originally only hoping to use the elementals as a last resort but, Magnus did mention earlier, in game, that the evil below was created some kind of effect that would allow for a lowered risk of losing control. I took it as a quasi blessing although even a 1 in 20 per turn is a risk.

This would be a tactic we haven't used thus far and should be quite a surprise for those below!
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris takes out a beeswax candle and some mistletoe and begins kneading the beeswax with some of the smashed mistletoe into noseplugs.

He also hands the last of his silver daggers to Tybalt, "I believe the silver will combine with your protection from evil aura for some effect against the ghasts."
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Magnus »

NJWilliam wrote:Antheris

Antheris takes out a beeswax candle and some mistletoe and begins kneading the beeswax with some of the smashed mistletoe into noseplugs.

He also hands the last of his silver daggers to Tybalt, "I believe the silver will combine with your protection from evil aura for some effect against the ghasts."
The silver needs to be ground into a powder, melted, etc, so that it can be sprinked in a circle or on a person.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin nods at Lorath's words. It is true that there is a chance the elemental will turn upon the caster. A risk that I feel is worth what it would bring to the fight. While under control I can dismiss it back to its realm. If control is lost I can attempt to dispel its magic. Even if it doesn't turn on us I will need to be protected as it will take all my concentration to use the elemental and bind it to my will.
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by Sulara »

"A woman feels if you leave this place and go to open and light of day to work your magic,all hope of surprise is lost..the ghasts were many and will not attack the monster alone. A Mage says he will need protection as well. A woman feels this puts many in danger, she has said what she will. Niamah nods her head and steps back to watch the stairway lest they be the ones surprised.
Eulalios

#47 Post by Eulalios »

"The lovely thief may have a point," Lorath muses. "In your last venture here, Ser Tybalt and I arrived as you were pinned down in the courtyard, with serious loss. This morning the darkness seems to have helped us enter undetected. But in case the courtyard still is watched, it might prove difficult to defend Vorsyin through the duration of his casting.

"That said, if you are determined to proceed, then I will guard you from above.
"

In case Vorsyin indicates his will to go ahead, then Lorath casts levitate (duration 12 turns - remaining grounded for now) and puts an arrow on the string.
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by Computer +1 »

We need not enter the courtyard, I can summon through a doorway if necessary. I will need the earth in the yard in order to summon.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by saalaria »

Hollis keeps looking around, trying to spot any approaching enemies from any direction
Todd Spengo
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by Todd Spengo »

saalaria wrote:Hollis keeps looking around, trying to spot any approaching enemies from any direction
Tybalt renews the grip on his sword.

Tybalt will use his Detect Evil 60' again.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#51 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

"My friends, an elemental attack is good, but not earth right now. We simply need some fire. Good Vorsyin, hold your elemental for when it can truly do damage that we cannot."

He fishes six flasks of oil out of his haversack.

"We are nine. Six of us toss a flask of oil, one of us tosses a torch, and one of us, if good Hollis has his silence charm, tosses a silenced coin.
"We then charge whatever remains standing. Gaerys can arrange us best for surprise, and Ethan can lead the charge with Tybalt. Any ghasts that survive can be turned while they still burn."

Antheris holds out the flasks for the taking.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zhym »

"I am sick of this bickering," says Gaerys. "Elemental, no elemental, holy water, silence...ENOUGH. I still say the best approach is to summon an earth elemental, cast silence on it, and follow it as it digs its way into a part of the dungeon where we will not be expected. But I don't care. We can follow a silenced Earth elemental down the stairs. Or explore the other entrance. Or just walk in and attack what's there with fire and holy water. Let's just do something before we die of old age!"
Magnus
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Magnus »

Date: Autumn, 432 ca., Campaign Day 10
Time: 5:53
Weather: 36 degrees; clear

Antheris: 48/48
Vorsyin: 48/48
Gaerys: 60/60
Hollis: 50/50
Lorath: 40/40
Ethan: 71/71
Marcus: 35/35
Tybalt: 46/46
Nia: 33/33

Magic in Effect:

Protection from Fire/Protection from Lightning (Most party members)

The party debates its next course of action in hushed whispers outside the store room. But no consensus is reached, so the party does nothing.

Having learned from prior mistakes, the party remains vigilant as to any enemies who may come upon them. Hollis sees nothing, and Tybalt detects nothing new.

The DM's dice clip-clap across the table...
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#54 Post by Sulara »

Niamah smiles at the rangers passion and tact "A woman remembers a plan of stairway and fire,... Looking at the Druid she continues ""A woman has her own she will use that."
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Computer +1 »

Vorsyin thinks back to the words of the Lord Commander and knows that this is the best option for the group to avoid having to fight with wait awaits them. Flaming oil is nice until a a flaming ghast attacks the group.

He moves so that he can see the ground of the open courtyard and begins the arcane ritual of summoning the earth elemental.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by NJWilliam »

Antheris

Antheris watches the magic-user walk away and quietly says to the others, "Why is he walking away again?
"We're going to lose our opportunity for surprise, let's take care of these vermin while the magic-user does whatever he's walking away to do."

He continues lining up the flasks of oil, and takes two torches out of his haversack.

"Hollis, can you cast a silence charm on a coin or such?"
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Eulalios

#57 Post by Eulalios »

With a grimace, Lorath levitates and glides along behind Vorsyin, toes skimming the ground, arrow ready on the bow string. "No worries, fellowcraft," he mutters. "Certainly should have studied dispel magic." He scans the visible courtyard with an archer's eyes, looking for cover where watchers or snipers might lurk.

Spot stuff roll [1d6] = 2
Sulara
Tracker
Tracker

#58 Post by Sulara »

Niamah takes two oil flasks from her pack "A woman can get very near and hit the evil creatures with these, tell a woman when to make the attack with a sign from above." Niamah smiles "A woman trusts the magic protection will do what it will."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Zhym »

Gaerys moves to protect Vorsyin while he prepares his spell.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by saalaria »

Hollis casts silencio on a cp then holds it ready to throw into the room.

He will pitch it down next to the ghasts - is that AC10 too?

Return to “Against the Giants (OSRIC)”