24. Left Branch (Ewell, Ken, Darrin, Epsilon, O'rek only)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 24. Left Branch (Ewell, Ken, Darrin, Epsilon, O'rek only

#41 Post by Zhym »

Not in 2nd edition, unfortunately. Nor does it keep out summoned creatures. The 2nd edition aura is a nerfed "protection" aura that's weaker than the protection from evil spell.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:Not in 2nd edition, unfortunately. Nor does it keep out summoned creatures. The 2nd edition aura is a nerfed "protection" aura that's weaker than the protection from evil spell.
But I thought the paladin perks were based on 1e according to the pc creation tab. I guess this is where the hybrid rules gets me confused.
Last edited by onlyme on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Zhym »

Old data, alas. This came up in discussion recently, though I forget where, and dmw said that the 2e paladin rules are in effect. He just hasn't updated the character creation thread.

Though I'd love to be wrong. Being 1st level against 2 HD stinky trogs in numbers is deadly enough.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by wolfpack »

seeing that his hold spell only stopped 1 and with anumbe rof ememies still there.

Epsilon stays back and useses his sling on one of the creatures not in combat.

Can someone roll 1d20+2 for me?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

wolfpack wrote:Can someone roll 1d20+2 for me?
[1d20+2] = 15+2 = 17
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by wolfpack »

1d4+1 for damage
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Zhym »

wolfpack wrote:1d4+1 for damage
[1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Zhym »

A reminder: please back into the tunnel behind Kendrick if you're a missile user or caster. They'll come to us, I promise, so you'll still be able to cast or use missile weapons. But I'd like to use the narrow tunnels to our advantage for once. If we let them surround us, we're dead.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:A reminder: please back into the tunnel behind Kendrick if you're a missile user or caster. They'll come to us, I promise, so you'll still be able to cast or use missile weapons. But I'd like to use the narrow tunnels to our advantage for once. If we let them surround us, we're dead.

Actually the complete opposite. We can fight 4-5 on 6 (5 that arent frozen) now... And Darrin could figure out a way to set the lantern and fight as well, hopefully. In a tunnel, they get to poke at the one guy in front until he goes down, then to the next. 1 on 5... That was what about killed us last time.

Also, please do not use missile weapons while we are meleeing. There are no non engaged trogs, and we have an equal chance of getting hit.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

But they're bigger and stronger than we are, or at least most of us. 4-5 on 5 when only two of the 4-5 are fighters is bad odds. If we're in the tunnel, it's still 4-5 on 6, but we can get the 6 one at a time, with casters able to cast and still be protected. As we are, casters can be interrupted or forced into melee. If the front line includes a magic-user, the party has done something very very wrong tactically.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by onlyme »

We dont have any MUs... Two fighters, two clerics and a civilian. One cleric has chain armor and 16 strength. In the tunnel, they get multiple attacks. We dont. Epsilon is the only one who should be more willing to hide behind someone else, since he only has studded leather armor. If that was the case, he could switch with Darrin, and have the youngster swing away...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zhym »

Fair enough. I thought we had an MU in this group. I still think we're outnumbered by stronger forces, but there's not much to be done about that now.
wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by wolfpack »

Next round epsilon can cast a dust devil and place it behind the trogs to attack them. not super powerful but its something.

and everyone shoulkd back up to the tunnel mouth to prevent them from being able to get behind us.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by onlyme »

I doubt they leave those babes. They are defending position.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by ravenn4544 »

O'rek steps up to Kendrick and whispers a prayer "lights strength defend ye!"

Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 6
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by onlyme »

wolfpack wrote:Next round epsilon can cast a dust devil and place it behind the trogs to attack them.
I meant to ask... what is this? if it went off near the hatchlings, it could possibly cause them to disengage us to fight it

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by wolfpack »

onlyme wrote:
wolfpack wrote:Next round epsilon can cast a dust devil and place it behind the trogs to attack them.
I meant to ask... what is this? if it went off near the hatchlings, it could possibly cause them to disengage us to fight it

dust devil is a really weak elemetal a swirl of wind with 2 hd that can attack
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:But I thought the paladin perks were based on 1e according to the pc creation tab. I guess this is where the hybrid rules gets me confused.
When I first started to formally commit the rules for this game to page, my intention was to make this a customized 1E game since it was the only non-basic ruleset I knew. At that time, however, I had just started participating as a player in my first ever 2E game and found, while creating that player and just starting to play, that I liked the 2E rules. I liked them enough to decide, probably before this game even launched, to switch from a 1E to a 2E base. I had already created many of the rules -- many of which still exist, unaltered -- so, I had to make a decision: Go back and revise everything I had done up to that point to correct any differences between the editions (where there really aren't *that* many) or push on and get the game launched. With a group of recruited players already well into the character creation process (if not already completed), I elected to just keep going.

Really, this is a 2E game with some customizations (e.g. no racial restrictions or level limits, ability score generation method, ability score modifiers, armor weight classes, finesse weapons, etc...) and I have been consistently quoting rules from the Purple Worm website as it is the only source of 2E rules I have. So, while the editions are similar, this game does not default to the 1E ruleset as originally advertised.... but, if memory serves, it hasn't for almost as long as the game has been in progress. In this case, there apparently was a change to the 'Hold Person' spell, and a change in the protection from evil ability of a paladin. The changes are minor, they just unfortunately happened to work against the party in this instance.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by onlyme »

Dave,
No problem. I just cant access this site or purpleworm very easily at work anymore. So, I have to use the pdf of 1e that I have for research... So, I apologize in advance if I continue to make mistakes based on the edition differences.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”