Tarsus para bellum

Tiglath
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Tarsus para bellum

#41 Post by The Bindoner »

Jess is mulling over the necessity of any "knowledge" of the last transmissions when Kingy (manning OP2 on the other high ground some 30km from Charlie's fire team in OP1) reports "Ironside, all units. Movement front. One klik out. Column of... clippety ridin' fings..."
"Farmyard!"
"... Equusses... er... 'orses! Staggered column one out ahead. Recce element of one out on foot... fek movin' like a ruddy long dog. Column movin' casual. Eight men, ten 'orses, local FN ACRs, some scoped, one sniper rifle, no support weapons. One wounded bloke. Looks like they're draggin' two prisoners wiv 'em".

Jess, a little breathless, enters the chat:

Don’t engage! Hold an’ watch.

Thinking out loud: Odd direction to drag prisoners, ain’t it? Might be friendlies.

To someone off-mike: ‘Op in, back to work.

The sound of her dune-buggy starting up and racing over the grasslands is audible in the background:

Keep your heads down and your eyes open, I’ll come and ‘ave a dekko.

Jess hurtles over the veldt, heading for the rear of the nearest OP, while keeping her dust trail out of sight of the mounted column.
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:18 pm Frank
joertexas wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:15 am "Do you think you could arrange for us to hire a vehicle," Prerna asks Frank.
"I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to flash my local ID around here. Maybe T'lia has a contact who can help."
Prerna confers with her spouse to help find them a vehicle.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Tiglath »

dongriffiths wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:18 pm "Yes sir.

I'll take Naffo and Venner with me and discretely scout the area round the house and likely approach routes. Asels can keep the carrier on standby a little further back, ready to either swoop in to extract your family or get you if needed. It may be a good idea to let the family know we're nearby, wouldn't want to spook them and cause undue distress."

We'll prepare to go in with ACRs but have the Snub SMGs and grenades accessible in the carrier.

"Lads in the first instance we'll use the phones for comms and keep this quiet. With luck we are just providing a bus but be ready for unpleasantness. No one gets near that house without the Colonels say so."
From aerial observation Klaus sees nothing untoward about the farm and that there is one road leading from the town to the farm. He places an OP to cover the road looking toward the town (ACR's advanced sights as observation aids help here). He places the G Carrier further back in a patch of trees and scrub.

Do you wish to perform any closer recon at this stage?
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:36 pm "OK, let's find a spot to conceal the carrier while I get those phones...".
Frank has truly limited selection of places to choose from: Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson's Tech shop might be the obvious choice on "Main Street" but notionally Thorsen's Hardware or possibly the more "cosmopolitan" Inn might help. He notes they're clearing away in the bakery. Is that Anni or Vibeke's arse he's now actively not noticing. Well, at least one of his hometown contemporaries has aged well! Distracted Frank gets jostled by one of a pair of guys heading to the Tech store on the same pavement as there's not room for the bulk of all three. "Watch where you're going, hick!" They move purposefully on. Frank notes the vaguely familiar Tarsan militiaman sat in the militia liveried SUV across the street stop noticing the now passed cause of disturbance. He scowls at the departing pair and then his gaze lingers on Frank. He gets out of the SUV and clad in his local militia mail and reflec armour moves around the vehicle apparently intending to cross the street towards Frank's side. His manner is not so much aggressive as interested/intrigued. (OCC: Frank's reactions as per "tactical geography" include a dodge into the bakery to break line of sight or any other options you may conceive! :) )

(OOC: Oh, and the dice gremlins are out to play - or are they...?
Frank Spot/Notice 2d6 + 3: (1 + 3) + 3 = 7 (Recon/Int/Home Field advantage)
NPCs Spot Roll: 2d6 − 1: (1 + 2) − 1 = 2 (DM -1 Convincingly distracted subject!!! :P :lol: )
Frank Memory Roll: 2d6 + 2: (2 + 2) + 2 = 6 (Recon/Home Field advantage)
Cop Memory Roll: 2d6 + 1: (4 + 6) + 1 = 11 (Home Field advantage)
Frank Notice Roll: 2d6 + 2: (5 + 3) + 2 = 10 (Recon/Int) Made one! ;) :) ).
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Tiglath »

Prerna
joertexas wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:05 am Prerna confers with her spouse to help find them a vehicle.
T'lia responds in flawless Imperial "Frank's folks might be able to help and that gives us untraceable local transport. Let's wait for him to make contact and then see if that allows us that option. Meantime I think we might need to carb-load if we're going into the mountains. That translates into getting a last good meal and some sleep in a decent bed before MREs and "stink bags". How about we check out the town's high end venues... um.. the Inn?"
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:34 am Prerna
joertexas wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:05 am Prerna confers with her spouse to help find them a vehicle.
T'lia responds in flawless Imperial "Frank's folks might be able to help and that gives us untraceable local transport. Let's wait for him to make contact and then see if that allows us that option. Meantime I think we might need to carb-load if we're going into the mountains. That translates into getting a last good meal and some sleep in a decent bed before MREs and "stink bags". How about we check out the town's high end venues... um.. the Inn?"
"That sounds like a plan," Prerna replies. She checks out the local datanet for anything useful.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by shaidar »

Frank

Heading into town a Frank decides that he will try the hardware store first, as he doesn't know the owner of the new tech shop.

Getting jostled by the pair he responds as he passes, putting on a stronger accent "Unnskyld, sorry. He notes their destination, their attitude to the locals, and tries to remember as much about them as he can. This only reinforces his suspicion of the tech shop.

Noting the militia man taking an interest he ducks into the bakery.

"Komið þið sælar, ladies. I'm see you're finishing up for the day, what do you have left?"
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:56 am Heading into town a Frank decides that he will try the hardware store first, as he doesn't know the owner of the new tech shop.

Getting jostled by the pair he responds as he passes, putting on a stronger accent "Unnskyld, sorry. He notes their destination, their attitude to the locals, and tries to remember as much about them as he can. This only reinforces his suspicion of the tech shop.

Noting the militia man taking an interest he ducks into the bakery.

"Komið þið sælar, ladies. I'm see you're finishing up for the day, what do you have left?"
Frank ducks inside the bakery and sees that the shop has had a good day. Though empty trays are labelled for the traditional rolled up Snegi there are none left. The flaky layered Spandauer pastries are also absent - including the rhubarb and custard filled specials. Some Kanelstang or ‘cinnamon rod’ remains together with the folded puff-pastry Københavner - vanilla flavoured and coated with poppy seeds. On the savoury counter there is Tomat og oste snegl - savoury soft dough laced with tomato/basil and the strong local cheese.

Oddly the female baker continues working with her cleaning device apparently entirely ignoring Frank. He notices a "service" buzzer on the counter.

Please make a Recon roll on the departing men.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by shaidar »

Frank

Before he's completely distracted by the pastry-based memories of his youth, Frank tries to scope out as much as he can about the departing pair:

Recon (1): [2d6+1]=11+1=12
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:29 pm Before he's completely distracted by the pastry-based memories of his youth, Frank tries to scope out as much as he can about the departing pair:

Recon (1): [2d6+1]=11+1=12
Frank realises that a possible explanation for the militiaman's attention being drawn to himself might be that he appears to be eyeing up the hind quarters of everyone he encounters in town... but maybe not. ;) :P

The departing pair are very "alpha" in demeanour, confident and self assured to the point of arrogance. They are also an odd pairing while both in civilian gear and favouring thigh length "car coats" they have chosen drab and muted colours. Stout boots and denims are de rigueur in the farming community but theirs aren't a local style. Then Frank realises that the clash of styles is what he first noticed: one has military style high sides beneath his civvy ball cap but his comrade has an unkempt beard and long hair dragged back in a ponytail and yet they walk with shared direction, purpose and demeanour. By their manner Frank pegs them as most likely ex military.

Frank's eye has clearly recovered from its earlier distraction and from the rear notes a bulge under and behind "ponytail's" left armpit beneath his coat and likewise a similar sized showing at "ball cap's" right hip.

The pair continue to patrol(?) past the Tech shop and along Main Street.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by shaidar »

Frank

Frank decides that carrying a box of pastries will add to his cover and be a potential thrown distraction if needed, plus, if they survive the mission, a pleasant snack for the return trip.

He presses the service button.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:05 pm Frank decides that carrying a box of pastries will add to his cover and be a potential thrown distraction if needed, plus, if they survive the mission, a pleasant snack for the return trip.

He presses the service button.
To Frank's mild surprise the service "bell" resonates with a low vibration. This however seems to get the attention Vibeke Bjerre who turns from her work to acknowledge Frank and then study him again. She just as good looking but her girlish looks are now those of a handsome woman who clearly stays fit. She bears small scars on the right side of her face which Frank might equate with a blast injury. She instinctively turns her head a fraction to hide the scars but they are hardly disfiguring - at least in Frank's opinion.

When she speaks Frank hears the nasal tones of the hearing impaired in her speech. Still eyeing Frank inquisitively she says "I thought you people went about in pairs...? But you're not with them are you...?"

(NPC Memory Roll:
2d6 + 2: (2 + 3) + 2 = 7
and
2d6 + 2: (1 + 2) + 2 = 5
If anyone wants to know where all the low numbers have gone I think I've found them... :lol: ).
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by shaidar »

Frank smiles at Vibeke

"No, I'm not with them, who are they? They were rather rude."
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:22 pm Frank smiles at Vibeke

"No, I'm not with them, who are they? They were rather rude."
Vibeke returns his smile as Anni Hansen steps from the darkened backroom behind the counter and states derisively "Offworlders. Imperial mercenaries - at least some of them. Others are sell out níðingr from the worst bars in Kochstadt". Frank notes the same nasal tone and the jagged scar running along the left side of her jaw. She doesn't meet his gaze but instead appears to be focused on his mouth.

Vibeke glances at the shop displays and cheerfully asks "What can we get you?"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by shaidar »

Frank

"I see I've missed the specials. How about six Københavner and six snegl." he gestures towards the savory pastries

"I was also hoping you can help me... My comms is broken, where can I get a new one? The hardware store? The tech store is new, isn't it?"
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Tiglath »

Kit
gurusql wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:15 am Kit will check on the unit making sure that all are well and that all of the hostiles are gone. Once that is done he will say "Let's collect the dropped weapons just making it harder for them to shoot them at us. Once that is complete please check and secure check your new ride that perhaps just needs new tires." :D

The goal at the time was to stop the vehicle, but now we will need to see if we can get it moving if not for sure we will take the keys and lock it up.
The surrendering driver volunteers "I'll get it movin' for you for sure! If'n you'll put in a word with Mister Kruger I'd like to drive for him. I hear he's a fair man and pays a fair wage".

With the trespassers long gone the team police up the discarded weapons and bodies loading them into the earth mover's front bucket for transport back to the farm. Surprisingly there are only two. The man shot by Killer and his victim. The surprise" is explained when Able orders "Right now reload wiv buckshot. Next time we might 'ave no room for "diplomatic" shootin' ". Those with shotguns eject what Kit seems to recognize as lighter and less lethal birdshot.

Killer interjects with "Oh, borrocks! Guv'nor, you're gonna want to 'ave a butchers at this!"

The body he has now rolled onto its back wears a plain paramilitary uniform and a utility gun belt under its duster. The most distinctive item thereon is a bronze star bearing the legend "Deputy".

(OOC: Do I hear "Slow Hand"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWhx97QvxE :P )
dongriffiths
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#57 Post by dongriffiths »

Tiglath wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:46 pm
From aerial observation Klaus sees nothing untoward about the farm and that there is one road leading from the town to the farm. He places an OP to cover the road looking toward the town (ACR's advanced sights as observation aids help here). He places the G Carrier further back in a patch of trees and scrub.

Do you wish to perform any closer recon at this stage?
Once we're settled in and things appear ok Venner will make a slow quiet approach on the farmhouse staying out of sight if at all possible.

Non enim propter gloriam, diuicias aut honores pugnamus set propter libertatem solummodo quam Nemo bonus nisi simul cum vita amittit.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Tiglath »

Jess
The Bindoner wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:51 pm
Jess is mulling over the necessity of any "knowledge" of the last transmissions when Kingy (manning OP2 on the other high ground some 30km from Charlie's fire team in OP1) reports "Ironside, all units. Movement front. One klik out. Column of... clippety ridin' fings..."
"Farmyard!"
"... Equusses... er... 'orses! Staggered column one out ahead. Recce element of one out on foot... fek movin' like a ruddy long dog. Column movin' casual. Eight men, ten 'orses, local FN ACRs, some scoped, one sniper rifle, no support weapons. One wounded bloke. Looks like they're draggin' two prisoners wiv 'em".
Jess, a little breathless, enters the chat:

Don’t engage! Hold an’ watch.

Thinking out loud: Odd direction to drag prisoners, ain’t it? Might be friendlies.

To someone off-mike: ‘Op in, back to work.

The sound of her dune-buggy starting up and racing over the grasslands is audible in the background:

Keep your heads down and your eyes open, I’ll come and ‘ave a dekko.

Jess hurtles over the veldt, heading for the rear of the nearest OP, while keeping her dust trail out of sight of the mounted column.
Jess' grav IFV covers the ground in no time to approach the rear of the high ground on which Trooper King's OP2 is situated. The grav fighting vehicle then slows to limit any visible signature from nap of earth flight and remains at the hover in the dead ground behind OP2 ready to perform a "pop up" attack.

Advised of the IFV's new position King reports "Ma'am, seems they know somefin's up - fek knows 'ow! They've stopped an taken the cli... 'orses... to the rear an' gone to fightin' order. They're advancin' on us in line - skirmish order. Six 'undred yards. Keen enough - even the wounded bloke's joined in! Couple of grenade launchers visible now an' they're carryin' LAW. Fek they're usin' the grahnd well. Good noise discipline. I'm losing some of 'em movin' through the brush - fek they're good. Ma'am we needs to light 'em up or move or this is gonna get messy".
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:20 pm"I see I've missed the specials. How about six Københavner and six snegl." he gestures towards the savory pastries

"I was also hoping you can help me... My comms is broken, where can I get a new one? The hardware store? The tech store is new, isn't it?"
Vibeke makes up Frank's order and adds in another Københavner to empty the display and adds with a smile "One extra for you - for luck".

She continues "Ja, the Tech store is quite new - Harald opened it when he came back home from service. He will surely mend your broken comm for you. He is a wizard of electronics!"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by shaidar »

Frank pays for the pastries.

"Þakka, ladies..." he pauses for a second, then comes to a decision.

"This place hasn't changed that much in the last 15 years, but maybe I have, Vibeke, Anni?" he smiles and tries to catch their eye so they look right at him.

Return to “District 268 Year 1105 (CT/CE Traveller)”