Pregame Discussion

dmw71
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pregame Discussion

#41 Post by Rex »

Take your time and good luck on the job search.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by shaidar »

No problems at all.

I agree with everything everyone has just said above.

Good luck.

:)
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:50 pm Apologies for the delay, guys.

I'm going through some things at the moment (while it was necessary for my mental health, I'm starting to regret resigning from my last position as the job market right now sucks!) and I'm either busy searching for work, or failing to do anything as I allow the stress of unemployment or the depression at the lack of opportunities to weigh me down.

I'm still very much interested in getting this game started -- it's just taking longer to get ready than expected.
No worries. I would refer you to my employer pretty much all out positions are remote these days. I work for a Tech MSP.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

I have started to perform cursory reviews of the character sheets provided so far (I have only gotten to two (of eleven) players so far, so if you haven't heard from me, no need to panic).

Some situations/scenarios/details that have come up thus far that I still need to formally decide how to handle:

* Starting languages for non-humans
* Starting gold (this will not be by the book)
* Starting spells (to be determined; may be influenced by character background)
* Secondary skills (we will not be using NWPs; we will be using some form of secondary skills, however)

I'm sure there will be more, but
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:29 pm I would refer you to my employer pretty much all out positions are remote these days. I work for a Tech MSP.
Thanks. I might hit you up for details about this in your private forum.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:14 am I'd rather have a delay getting the game started than if the game gets going and you realize you just aren't in a place to be able to focus on it right now.

Tl;dr: Delaying the start is better than killing the momentum once we get going.
Very good point. Something I will definitely keep in mind.
Scott308 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:14 amP.S.: Good luck with the job search. I have a friend who has been looking for a while and he's just super frustrated with the process.
It is brutal right now.

I have applied for more positions than I can count and have been ghosted by a vast majority of them. I did have one interview (that when pretty well) on Thursday, and considering there were almost 2,000 applications for the single position they're hiring for -- I feel like I almost won the lottery getting that. And the position is a huge step down from what I have been doing.

It is extremely frustrating.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rex »

Unfortunately I am not in the IT type work so not much help but keep the faith and keep at it. You will find something.

All else is good. I prefer secondary skills to NWP. If you just want to look at a different list Hyperborea has a slightly larger list than 1E. I can send you the list if you want me to.

For languages for non-humans I prefer to just treat them like humans and make them use a language slot for common as a second language if they have a racial language. This works best if you allow everyone to get to fill there first extra language spot from Intelligence to start play. If they don't get one, tough luck, its a reason to have at least an 8 Int.

Half races (Elves and orcs) would get the language of where they were raised as there free language.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:23 pm I prefer secondary skills to NWP. If you just want to look at a different list Hyperborea has a slightly larger list than 1E. I can send you the list if you want me to.
I actually purchased the Hyperborea game, but haven't looked at it yet. Do you happen to know offhand if the list you're referring to is in the Player's or Referee's manual?
Rex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:23 pmFor languages for non-humans I prefer to just treat them like humans and make them use a language slot for common as a second language if they have a racial language. This works best if you allow everyone to get to fill their first extra language spot from Intelligence to start play. If they don't get one, tough luck, its a reason to have at least an 8 Int.
This is very similar to what I had in mind, but haven't formally fleshed out. I will almost certainly do something along this line.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by dmw71 »

Also, all players should now have a 'Character Sheet' topic in your private forums. Can you please add your sheet (and any image you have in mind for your character) to that post?
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
GreyWolfVT

#50 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I admittedly haven't done anything with my character besides stat roll for it. :oops:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

dmw71 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:13 pm
Rex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:23 pm I prefer secondary skills to NWP. If you just want to look at a different list Hyperborea has a slightly larger list than 1E. I can send you the list if you want me to.
I actually purchased the Hyperborea game, but haven't looked at it yet. Do you happen to know offhand if the list you're referring to is in the Player's or Referee's manual?
Rex wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:23 pmFor languages for non-humans I prefer to just treat them like humans and make them use a language slot for common as a second language if they have a racial language. This works best if you allow everyone to get to fill their first extra language spot from Intelligence to start play. If they don't get one, tough luck, its a reason to have at least an 8 Int.
This is very similar to what I had in mind, but haven't formally fleshed out. I will almost certainly do something along this line.
Players Manual for secondary skills. In the hard copy it talks about them on page 132 and the tables are on page 133. There are a total of 60, but some have multiple related for example brewer/vintner is one entry.
GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright I worked on my character. The only real thing I did not do that I expressed interest in was a background.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#53 Post by Scott308 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:54 pm I admittedly haven't done anything with my character besides stat roll for it. :oops:
I have not done anything for my character yet. Should probably at least roll so I don't have to consider some of the classes when I can't meet minimums. :D
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

I have rolled, picked race/class and done hp. Nothing more. As usual my rolls were below average by a point. But the method is forgiving in that way so I don't have any bad scores to deal with. One good score and 5 average, something to be said for consistency I suppose.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by shaidar »

I rolled and chose race and class and that's it so far

Stats were good, but I did get a 7.
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by beniliusbob »

You'll have to pardon me if I have some silly questions - I grew up playing 2nd edition but have regressed to B/X in my grumpy middle age... so 1E standards have passed me by! I'm also using OSRIC as my core reference - I have a PDF of the 1E PHB but I find it hard to reference. (Sorry, Gary...)

Thus, my fighterly queries...
  • Are we playing with weapon proficiencies?
  • Do fighters have Weapon Specialization or the "attacks per level against foes with less than 1HD" ability (or neither)?
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by ybn1197 »

Rolled stats but haven't progressed much from there. Time to get working on it.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by gurusql »

beniliusbob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:02 pm You'll have to pardon me if I have some silly questions - I grew up playing 2nd edition but have regressed to B/X in my grumpy middle age... so 1E standards have passed me by! I'm also using OSRIC as my core reference - I have a PDF of the 1E PHB but I find it hard to reference. (Sorry, Gary...)

Thus, my fighterly queries...
  • Are we playing with weapon proficiencies?
  • Do fighters have Weapon Specialization or the "attacks per level against foes with less than 1HD" ability (or neither)?
Just quoting from 1e on this not any special rules that could be in place from our DM

Weapon proficiencies are a 1e rule - yes (four for a fighter in fact)
Weapon Specialization was a rule from Unearthed Arcana so is out of play here.
Attacks per level against foes with less than 1HD - This is a a 1e rule
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by hedgeknight »

beniliusbob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:02 pm You'll have to pardon me if I have some silly questions - I grew up playing 2nd edition but have regressed to B/X in my grumpy middle age... so 1E standards have passed me by! I'm also using OSRIC as my core reference - I have a PDF of the 1E PHB but I find it hard to reference. (Sorry, Gary...)
No need to apologize to me, man! :D
I've been out of town for almost a week; haven't done shite on my character. Will start working on it though ;)

Dave...take care of yourself first and foremost!
We ain't going anywhere.
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:54 pm I admittedly haven't done anything with my character besides stat roll for it.
No worries. I see you still added your character sheet which is about as far as anyone should be at this point.
Rex wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:11 am Players Manual for secondary skills. In the hard copy it talks about them on page 132 and the tables are on page 133. There are a total of 60, but some have multiple related for example brewer/vintner is one entry.
I see it, and like it.
I've pretty much scrapped my idea of creating customized secondary skill lists (based upon race, geography, etc...) for something more simple (I definitely have a lot to do still so there's no point in creating more work for myself). I'm torn between:
  • Just using the table in the DMG;
  • Using the [1d6]+[1d20] table from Hyperborea;
  • Creating a single skill list of my own; or
  • Letting the player choose.
Actually, as I sit here and think about this while typing, I realize I'd just assume keep the number of source books I need to refer to down to as few as possible. With that in mind, let's go with:
  • Using the 'Secondary Skills' table on page 12 of the DMG; or. (+5% xp)
    Play by post is slow! Yes, all these potential bonuses are stackable.
  • Player's choice.
Much like your background information, I fully intend on using these details throughout the adventure.
Scott308 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:09 am I have not done anything for my character yet. Should probably at least roll so I don't have to consider some of the classes when I can't meet minimums.
Probably not the worst idea (if you haven't done so already).
beniliusbob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:02 pm Are we playing with weapon proficiencies?
Yes, per this table:
Weapon Proficiency Table.png
Weapon Proficiency Table.png (16.81 KiB) Viewed 458 times
beniliusbob wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:02 pmDo fighters have Weapon Specialization or the "attacks per level against foes with less than 1HD" ability (or neither)?
Weapon specialization, no.

Multiple attacks against non-exceptional creatures, yes, per:
Attacks per Melee Round.png
Attacks per Melee Round.png (38.91 KiB) Viewed 458 times
gurusql wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:40 pm Just quoting from 1e on this...
This.

I had much grander plans when I originally thought of starting this game, but have since backtracked considerably. Assume rules as written (which, in 1e, can be confusing or contradictory at times) in almost every situation. I want to keep outside influences (and house rules) to a minimum.

I am, as you may have noticed, going to be offering opportunities for bonus experience points for different choices during the character creation process. This is just to speed up potential character advancement in this slower format.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)”