Meeting With Pelltar

OGRE MAGE
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Meeting With Pelltar

#41 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

Shrugs, the groups make up are moot points until we need to split up. He nods to Pelltar and gathering his stuff makes for the arranged wagon.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by dmw71 »

Ashley accepts the accusation of being intimidating as flattery and nods in appreciation.

"Before we get ahead of ourselves, are we able to interview here in Restonford before moving on?" she wonders aloud. "The fact that the same guard saw all three suspects enter still bothers me."

"As does the fact that none of them were seen leaving."

Apologies if this was already addressed and I just missed it.

"Then there's another matter that I don't believe has been agreed-upon," she starts, turning her focus to Pelltar. "I assume, when successful, we'll be compensated for our efforts, no?"

"I'm sure some of us might have certain... requests."
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Quonundrum »

FYI. Pelltar will handle any evidence gathering in Restenford (see below).

viewtopic.php?p=592717#p592717
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#44 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:roll: There's always that one player..... :lol:

Pelltar looks down his nose at Ashley's request for compensation, but he eventually softens his expression.

"I guess I had thought I was asking a group of old friends for a favor, but I forgot about your......erm.......situation, Ashley."

"Yes, in that case there will be a reward offered. If you can bring me the item I requested of you, and you are all successful with finding the killer and returning them to Restonford, there will be a sizeable gold piece reward, along with one pick each from a list of magical items."

"If everyone agrees to do this with the promise of a reward on your return and not before, I will have something nice waiting for you upon your completion of this task."

"The South Gate is the one that leads to Garrotten, so if you wish to stop there on your way and question the guard, please do so discretely or risk being found out before your mission even starts."

"Remember that you are dealing with a stone cold killer here. Any mistakes during this investigation could cost one of you your lives."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by dmw71 »

Ashley casts another glare at Pelltar after what she perceives to be another slip, but nods affirmatively.

"Maybe a wagon wheel will break near the south gate, while that guard is on duty, stranding us in his vicinity for a short bit."
-- Project --

-- DM --
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"I suggest that we only ask about one of the three men. If there is indeed an assassin's guild operating in Garrotten and were involved in the murder, it is safe to assume they have spies in Restenford watching the gates."

"At least, I would ..."

"With due respect to Pelltar, we can also assume it likely that Abraham is not the assassin. Was he actually here in Restenford or an impostor, though? I believe it was indeed the real Abraham. As he regularly orders from the wine merchant here, an impostor would be much more likely to be detected by the merchant. Whether he was seen leaving then is less relevant to the case."

"That leaves Harper or Balmorrow. Both were seen in busy venues. However, the golden lute string was painted with red paint or dye, presumably to present as the obvious murder weapon. If Balmorrow is the killer, I doubt he would leave such a clue implicating himself."

"I am most interested in Harper. He arrived alone, ate alone, and with no known business reason for being in Restenford that night. Did he travel here just for dinner? As an old man with white hair he is also fairly distinctive. If he was not seen leaving, it is highly probable that man was an impostor."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#47 Post by dmw71 »

"Interesting..." Ashley offers at Lestadt's mention that the "Abraham" spotted might have actually been an imposter. "I wonder, then, if the real Abraham might be able to confirm his trip? Or if maybe evil has befallen him, as well?"

"Come to think of it,"
she continues, addressing this follow-up question to Pelltar. "Any suggestions on how we will be able to tell the real Abraham from a possible fake? A bit of knowledge only you and he share, perhaps?"

"If we're going to be addressing the guard at the southern gate, perhaps our goal should be to simply learn whether he felt if anyone familiar was acting peculiar or out of sorts in any way."
-- Project --

-- DM --
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"If our wagon has a cover, I can be inside and cast an ESP spell on the gate guard and at least understand if the guard thinks he is telling the truth."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"That's an excellent idea."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"ESP is an excellent idea. I think we try and confirm on all three first and see where that leads us. Assuming things without confirming is a slippery slope."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"Assuming only for purposes of a more discrete and productive inquiry. Asking about all three would be very risky and could out us before we have even begun."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not sure where Zap disappeared to already, but you know those illusionists. ;)

Pelltar seems impressed with the initiative, but he raises one furry eyebrow at Ashley’s comment about the possibility of speaking to imposters. “Only Abraham would know about my pickled egg addiction. He creates the very best in the land, and sets a secret jar aside from each batch for me.”

The mage pulls out a map of the nearby town, showing you where each of the three suspects are located. “I have a dear friend in Garrotten who has been keeping her eye on any escalations there. She is a nature lover and lives in the northernmost cottage on the shore of Lake Farmin. If I may suggest, you might want to seek her out before starting any other questioning. Her name is Luna.”
1- Mayors Castle
2-The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern
3- The Church of Osprem
4- The Theater of the Mystic
5- Luna’s Cottage
42765B84-EA23-4C63-97DB-E907DA669B2F.jpeg
42765B84-EA23-4C63-97DB-E907DA669B2F.jpeg (904.03 KiB) Viewed 775 times

The coach seats 4 comfortably, 6…..less so, and the driver will allow one of the fighter types to sit up front with him as security for the trip, preferably with a crossbow. (you can decide who rides shotgun)

The coach driver is named Garvis, a no-nonsense, matter-of-fact grey haired human. He pulls the coach away from the castle grounds once everyone is secured inside, driving the team of horses up to the South Gate where he stops to address the guard to open the gates.

It is currently around midday, making it unlikely that the guard from last evening is back on duty yet. Redgrave believes the guard shifts rotate at around 5 or 6pm, still several hours from now. It is possible that this guard might know something though.

Actions?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by dmw71 »

"Unless our approach requires a bit of coercion, I'll refrain from interacting with the guards." Ashley offers.

"This one --" she motions at Lestadt, "-- seems pretty chatty, and non-threatening. Maybe he should do it?"
-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Zahra

Zahra remains silent, letting the others talk to the guard.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by tarlyn »

Zap

The gnome remains silent, sure that someone else will speak with the guard.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt

"Very well." He waits briefly in the coach for any other comments then nods to Draxon to indicate he can begin casting his spell. Upon exiting, he immediately rubs his right leg and grumbles fairly loudly about a bum knee.

He holds up a hand and gestures to the driver to gain his attention. "Just a couple minutes, driver! Awful cramped in there, aggravating an injury from my sailing days." Lestadt lightly taps the tip of his cane against his leg to emphasize the point.

His eyes brighten as he seems to notice where they stopped and motions to the gate guard. "How fortunate, you may be able to help me, sir." As he approaches the guard he palms a platinum from his coin pouch and flashes it to him. "I realize you are on duty and quite busy, but, well ... it may sound strange to land lubbers."

"I understand that a high priest of Osprem was in town recently? My sailing days are over, but the work was very rewarding, as you can see." He glances down at his well tailored clothing." "Anyway, I'll always be an old salt and that means paying respect to the Lady of the seas. Trouble is, he seems to have left. Perhaps you've seen him? Old, white hair, would have been wearing blue robes? Very bad luck to ignore the Lady, you see ..."

"Oh, and come to think of it, a bard. Played the lute in a tavern. Wonderful performance! What was his name? Barrelmore? Balgrotto? Something like that, at least. Not that important as I figure he's one of them travelling sorts. Just thought I'd ask."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon will make sure he is in a place he can see the guard (perhaps a small opening of a small tear with his dagger) and will cast his ESP spell and focus on the guard that Lestadt is speaking with.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

Loads up on the pickled eggs. Very tasty but awfully flatulent. It helps he is partly seated in the fresh air with the driver and not in the covered wagon.

"Brrrrp!" he toots.

He chats to Garvis on the way, talking shop about wagon wheels and shoeing horses. How long does he stay in Garrotten when he journeys there, who runs the local forge and ironmongers. He tries to put the man at ease, really the information is being used to give him a cover story if necessary that he might be looking to open a smithy locally.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by Bluetongue »

Carling

Takes a seat in the wagon. He has no further questions regarding the investigation at this point.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Questioning Begins

When Garvis pulls up to the Southgate, Lestadt is the only one who exits the covered coach. The guard looks him over suspiciously before responding, looking quizzically at the platinum coin in the thief's hand. "Oei! Ya look familiar ta me, but this is ol' Pelltar's carriage, aint it? What's going on then? Ye got the wizard inside there with ya?" Walking towards the coach for a quick inspection, once the guard hears the muffled verbalizations from Draxon's casting, his look turns to one of fear. "Never mind all that! I don't need ta be turned inta anything......unnatural." The frightened soldier rushes to the gate to open it as he answers Lestadt.

"Priests and Bards, eh? Yer askin bout the murder, aint ya? Ya, it's all everyone's been talking about today. Rumor has it the white priest yer speakin of was in town last night, but never left. I can tell ya this, Sarge had us all makin a pretty detailed search this mornin, and the old man didnt turn up anywhere."

"I didnt actually see him meself, but there aint many folks who look like that one, so it's a mystery that he somehow left the city without being spotted."

"Cant say I know much about the other fella ya mentioned. Fancy singin and actin aint really my thing, mister........what'd ya say yer name was? The Baroness wants us ta log any comings and goings fer a while. I think there's worry the killer could strike again, ya see."
Once the gate is opened, he grabs a log book from his shack to record the departure from town.

Garvis turns to Redgrave with the questioning well underway. "You know the blacksmith in Garrotten? Real nice guy, if ya like overly aggressive half-orcs with terrible breath."

Actions?

Draxon: I will assume that you are sharing these thoughts with the others, but if you would rather receive them in private, please just let me know that.
It seems that the guard is telling the truth so far.

His initial thoughts are that Lestadt must be a friend of Pelltar, out looking for answers, but they quickly turn to legitimate fear once he hears the casting.

He is a bit put off by the questioner's obvious higher standing, but he is trying not to act too aggressive so he doesn't lose the opportunity to collect the platinum coin he sees as a possible reward.

"If this bunch is headed to Garrotten, they better have the wizard inside with them to fend off all the thugs in that place. Maybe the wizard is scared too, leaving town fer good himself?"

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”