Sorcerous Sundries

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Sorcerous Sundries

#41 Post by hedgeknight »

It's little wonder the three dreamers do not notice or wake up when a hidden panel on the wall opposite the door slides open, and a figure steps into the room. The silver knife in the figure's hand glimmers in the dim candlelight...

The trio of companions sleep fitfully all night, but they do heal up a bit from their wounds. A droning sound unlike that of sawing wood wakes them. When the sleep is cleared from their blurry eyes, they see Rivalen sitting in a chair, snoring rather loudly. In his hand is a silver knife and the shriveled remains of an apple lay in his lap. Abruptly, he sucks in a great gasp of air, chokes a bit, coughs a bit more, and then looks around at the three of you.
"Did I wake you and your friends, young cat? I came up here to speak with you, but the three of you were already asleep. So, I settled in, had my nightly apple, and must've dozed off. Oh, me. But I could use some breakfast. What say you?"
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:13 pm "Did I wake you and your friends, young cat? I came up here to speak with you, but the three of you were already asleep. So, I settled in, had my nightly apple, and must've dozed off. Oh, me. But I could use some breakfast. What say you?"
Tommy smiles when he sees Rivalen, getting up he starts stretching 
warm milk sure sounds good, we'll need all our strength to get back where we found these
he reaches to his backpack and retrieves the 2 spell books
im not sure if you've met my new companions,  Ambergris and Lesh
he introduces them and Rivalen
this is Rivalen
he continues we found a cult under the bath house they are kidnaping people to torture and sacrifice in their dark rituals  i think there's still people trapped down there
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"My thanks Sir for your humble hospitality that we could sling our hooks here

As Tommy says, we three were drawn together through common purpose and ventured into the sewers and cisterns. It cost us dear and we are fraught with the intrigues of the manifesting cults."

He scratches his ear with his hook and finds the privy to freshen himself up.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#44 Post by Tell »

Lesh finishes his prayers and turns when he hears the voices. When he sees Rivalen sitting in a chair he says, "Your thanks be many. Food welcome is." and he bows slightly. He looks over his companions to see if everyone has recovered.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by hedgeknight »

The Year 1491 DR, 5th of Marpenoth (October), Morning, Cool & Foggy
The Most Important Meal of the Day...

Rivalen leads the way via the sliding wall and into a passage with spiraling stairs descending to the bottom floor. Exiting through a door, the trio comes out in a back room of the business, where there are piles of boxes and crates and enough dust and dirt to give Tommy the sneezes.
The elderly mage walks you into a little side room where there is a round metal table with four chairs. The smell of hot coffee fills the air and there is a table laden with pastries and and fruit. Plants drape the walls, hanging among the glow globes offering a bit of light. A small brazier of red coals offers a bit of warmth to the drafty room.
Standing near a door leading outside is the Gnome girl you saw last night. She is nursing a steaming mug and giving all of you a sour look.

"Ah, my young...apprentice," Rivalen says, seeming to stumble over the introduction. "This is Gilli...my...erm...apprentice...like I said."
Rivalen clears his throat and pours coffee, helping himself to a fat pastry topped with icing and smelling strongly of cinnamon.
Gilli lifts her mug slightly in greeting, but doesn't say anything.

Rivalen stuffs half the pastry in his mouth, chewing contentedly, washes it down with a loud slurp of coffee, and says, "Now, what are you three going to get into today? Hmmm?"
The old mage doesn't seem to take notice of the crumbs in his beard...or the large tabby cat purring at his feet, but he does flip open one of the tomes Ambergris gave him, turning each page slowly, one at a time.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Belkregos »

tommy looks at the girl then the table and says as he pulls up a chair     
yes, Gilli, we met last night, nice to see you again
continues as he starts to pick at the food
last night we were investigating the bath house as we heard an explosion go off somewhere in the city we took the opportune distraction to go in deep but as evident we were a bit over our heads, i think with the exploring we did we can run it back a bit better today

by the way what happened with the explosion? What was it all about?   

OOC: did Ambergris give Rivalen another book or is it the one of the tomes Tommy gave him? 
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Not a book directly from me, we have only just met. But I would like to check out any of the goods we purloined.

As far as the days activity is concerned. I am not sure, unless the Nymph Bathouse is closed and we break entry that we can sneak in again that way.

The hospital explosion might suddenly become more of a priority to Lesh though. I am fine with exploring either, hospital or sewers.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#48 Post by Tell »

Lesh eats slowly and carefully in a "civilized" manner then asks, "loud boom fire at hospital was?" He shifts nervously and stands but his tail swipes into someone, maybe Gill, causing them to spill a bit of their coffee. "Mage sir, what happened you know?" He looks toward the door...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by hedgeknight »

No Crying Over Spilled...Coffee

Rivalen opens his mouth to answer Tommy's query about the explosion during the night when Lesh jumps up and accidentally slams the old wizard's chair with his tail, sending coffee splashing all over Rivalen and the book he is perusing and the tabby at his feet. The cat hisses and spits...but then begins to lick its fur and the floor.
Rivalen rolls his rheumy eyes up at Lesh and sighs loudly. "And it was just right too...not too much sugar, a little bit of cream...mmm...just right. Ah well. At least Tabitha appreciates your clumsiness, my scaly friend."
The old wizard mumbles something, waggles his fingers, and magical tendrils pour off his fingers and soak up the spilled coffee on his person and, more importantly, on the old tome.
"That's better. Gilli, more coffee, won't you?" Rivalen asks, holding his cup out to her.

The Gnome grumbles, but pours the old wizard another cup of coffee. While Rivalen adds several lumps of sugar and enough cream to fill it to the rim, Gilli says, "The explosion last night was a diversion for the two kingpins who went head to head in a turf war. Ol' Straightstick and his Faithless attempted to move into and claim Diamond Urchin's territory. Word is the Rats of Rivington were hired to help out...except the Faithless turned on them, killing most of 'em and burning their den to the ground, scattering the rest. Guess Straightstick figured if he could get rid of the Rats while also taking over Brampton, well, he'd be sitting pretty wouldn't he? He'd control both sides of the river and have first dibs on whatever comes down the Chionthar. Sounds like a win/win...except the Flaming Fist were ready. They stormed into Brampton nearly 100 strong, and even though they took heavy casualties, they took Diamond Urchin and Straightstick down hard. Somebody must've...tipped them off."

Gilli grins over her mug and says no more.
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Oh. Right ho. Usual turf war stuff." the old sailor comments in the latest gangland escapades. "Time the Flaming Fist got a grip.

If course that is not the biggest concern of Baldur's underworld. There is an actual 'Underworld' that is surfacing and rather more deadly that bragging rights over smuggled goods and protectionism. My dreams of Dendar and her auguries for the city are both terrifying and true.

We should be about our business."

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Belkregos »

i'm not familiar with the factions here but open violence always tramples bystanders
thought bystanders will be hurt it sounds like the violence is mostly among those concerned while the cults are specially targeting innocent victims for their sacrifices

tommy shakes his head
i don't know which is the bigger threat, the cults or this violence but evil has a way of seeping into everything around it, i think we should try to clean the evil den we found and then see if we can help here
what do you think Lesh? 

if lesh agrees Tommy starts to get ready to go back to the bathhouse and continue

Tell
Guide
Guide

#52 Post by Tell »

Lesh is starting at the tabby a little too hard...um yes to bath house.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#53 Post by Tell »

Lesh is stareing at the tabby a little too hard...um yes to bath house.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:28 am i don't know which is the bigger threat, the cults or this violence but evil has a way of seeping into everything around it, i think we should try to clean the evil den we found and then see if we can help here
what do you think Lesh? 
"Oh, I forgot to mention the hospital," Gilli says, sipping her coffee slowly, glancing at the trio of companions. The bones in Lesh's neck crack as he turns his head swiftly to face the Gnome.
"Yes, word is the hospital is overrun with undead...and a necromancer controls them and is in the business of transforming the hospital into a temple of Myrkul, the God of Death."
Gilli lets that sink in as she sips her coffee. "But...that's just what I've been told. Could be false news."
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by Belkregos »

hedgeknight wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:03 am "Oh, I forgot to mention the hospital," Gilli says, sipping her coffee slowly, glancing at the trio of companions. The bones in Lesh's neck crack as he turns his head swiftly to face the Gnome.
"Yes, word is the hospital is overrun with undead...and a necromancer controls them and is in the business of transforming the hospital into a temple of Myrkul, the God of Death."
Gilli lets that sink in as she sips her coffee. "But...that's just what I've been told. Could be false news."
well this might change things....
he looks at his companions (including Rivalen and Gilli)
you think this Myrkul necro and the cult of Myrkul from the undertunels might be more than coincidence? Could the lair under the bath house connect to the Hospital ?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Is that quite normal? Someone just requisitions a building to do any kind of nefarious deed in the open and the Duke and nobles with their honour guards and militia stand by idle?"

He has this thought that despite many gangland turf wars and stuff in Baldur's Gate, the residents would at least join together to stop a city wide takeover by undead creatures. 'Your enemy is my enemy and undead are everybody's enemy' kind if thing

Leaving the problem in the streets for the issue in the sewers, he grabs his stuff to make way back to the Nymph.

"Coming?" he says to all and sundry.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by hedgeknight »

Belkregos wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:53 am he looks at his companions (including Rivalen and Gilli)
you think this Myrkul necro and the cult of Myrkul from the undertunels might be more than coincidence? Could the lair under the bath house connect to the Hospital ?
Gilli shrugs. "Could be. The Dead Three cult are alive and well in the Gate, but I don't know if the bath house is connected to Harborside. But what do I know? I'm just a lowly apprentice."
Gilli cuts a glance at Rivalen and then grins back at Tommy.
Spearmint wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:28 am Ambergris
"Is that quite normal? Someone just requisitions a building to do any kind of nefarious deed in the open and the Duke and nobles with their honour guards and militia stand by idle?"
"Not to worry, ye old seadog. I'm sure the Dukes and the Fist will sort things out in no time." Rivalen murmurs, giving Ambergris a wink. The aged wizard takes a slow drag off his pipe, and blows a large plume of cherry-smelling smoke into the air.
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Belkregos »

Tommy nods
yes, i think is best if we get moving
he takes a piece of paper and starts to draw a map of the bathhouse and the parts they have explored and leaves in the table for Rivalen and Gilliin
case we don't make it back he winks at Gilli
but i hope we can share a meal like this again soon 
smiles and grabs a last piece of toast on his way out

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Apprentice needs to graduate. No better than facing challenges. And there be plenty of those below.", he suggests Gilli to accompany them.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#60 Post by Tell »

Lesh has been silently thinking but at Ambergris' words he studies the gnome Gilli. He tries to gauge her reaction wondering to himself if it is a portent having two one handed persons. Shrugging and looking back to the others, "From hospital to bathhouse far is it? Coincidences none there are. Plans dark and grave." He follows Tommy stooping slightly to exit the door.

Insight: [1d20+3]=7+3=10

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”