Action Thread 15

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 15

#41 Post by rredmond »

One of the double doors is slightly ajar, they open outward.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by Alethan »

Argennian's plan sounds fine to me; my only concern being Yosef's total HP. Maybe Bruard should be ready to administer aid to him, should he fall? Till can impatiently wait behind Yosef, ready to step in if he should need to.

My understanding of wand use/recharging was that a wand could be recharged only as long as it still contained at least one charge. If all charges were expended, then the wand became useless. That's why I was loath to suggest a fireball or wall of fire. In fact...
1E Dungeon Master's Guide, Page 132 wrote: Most of these items can be recharged by spell users of sufficiently high
level. This is discussed elsewhere under the heading FABRICATION OF
MAGIC ITEMS. Note that a rod, staff or wand completely drained will become
forever useless, crumbling to powder as its last charge is expended.
Ron, do the doors look heavy and not easily moved? Or do they appear to be able to swing quite freely? I'm wondering if we really do have a choke point or if the doors will swing open when pushed from the inside.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote: Ron, do the doors look heavy and not easily moved? Or do they appear to be able to swing quite freely? I'm wondering if we really do have a choke point or if the doors will swing open when pushed from the inside.
They look heavy, but not to the point that one person couldn't push them shut. Unless of course they were somehow prevented (age, stuck, etc.) from moving, but it looks like they'd work fine.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#44 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Argennian's plan sounds fine to me; my only concern being Yosef's total HP. Maybe Bruard should be ready to administer aid to him, should he fall? Till can impatiently wait behind Yosef, ready to step in if he should need to.

Argennian's plan sounds good to me as well, and Bruard will be ready to heal if necessary.
Something I just thought: Bruard could attempt a hold person spell on the were rat... maybe as a last ditch effort if our other plans go awry.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Till could also take his normal dagger and attempt to wedge it under the door that is closed, hopefully helping to keep it closed.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

Ok, let's go with Jeloon and Yosef holding the doorway, leaving only enough room between them to be able to properly fight.

Van and Till will back up Yosef. Van will try to attack from the back rank with his spear, if possible. If Yosef becomes too wounded to continue, Till will jump in and take over.

Bruard should be a backup as well, and maybe also have a healing potion handy (don't we have any more of them left?) or a healing spell.

Lets get this ball rolling again, shall we?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:15 a

Jeloon and Yosef block the exit and prepare for melee.

Van backs up Yosef and just his spear ready for second rank usage. Till is also prepared to back folks up, with Bruard ready with the healing.

The tension of waiting for the assault continues, as the assault never comes, just some quiet hissing. After 20 or 30 seconds of waiting, you all hear laughter. It goes on for a bit, you recognize it as maniacal, perhaps dipping into insanity, at times fully immersed in it. Then you hear a strange voice, it's a deep man's voice, and yet has a hint of squeakiness to it when it calls out, as the rats chatter noisily: "Warriors, come out to play!" The voice repeats itself over and over, getting a bit louder each time, as the rats get obviously more agitated.

But yet still no attack comes.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till (on ground); 2- Jeloon (on ground); 3- Bruard (opp side of wall) & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef (on wall); 5 - Van (on wall)
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Till grins, then whispers, "He sounds like the impatient type, doesn't he? At least we know where he is while he keeps going on like that."

He shouts, "STOP SAYING THAT!" as if he is agitated, then winks and smiles at the others. Till has a sudden thought and quickly turns to scan the buildings around the temple. He whispers, "I'd be willing to bet he has ways in and out of that temple beside the front door. We'll have to make sure he doesn't escape OR try to have us attacked from behind while we focus on the others."

OOC: Maybe a cautious move into the temple as a group? Then the fighters with multiple attacks can try to hold off the rats while the rest of us go after the wererat?

Or wait him out? Other thoughts or ideas?
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Till grins, then whispers, "He sounds like the impatient type, doesn't he? At least we know where he is while he keeps going on like that."

He shouts, "STOP SAYING THAT!" as if he is agitated, then winks and smiles at the others. Till has a sudden thought and quickly turns to scan the buildings around the temple. He whispers, "I'd be willing to bet he has ways in and out of that temple beside the front door. We'll have to make sure he doesn't escape OR try to have us attacked from behind while we focus on the others."
Yosef nods his wholehearted agreement to Till's quieted musings as he adjusts his grip and holds his position next to Jeloon at the entrance. "Agreed. Let us be ready and wary for a sneak attack!"

Alethan wrote:OOC: Maybe a cautious move into the temple as a group? Then the fighters with multiple attacks can try to hold off the rats while the rest of us go after the wererat?

OOC: damn good thought, Al. At work now but gotta come clean and say that Yosef is damn tempted to spin into the doorway with the wand of Fire and burn these bastards up! I'll get to posting an update later today after work.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan wrote:Till grins, then whispers, "He sounds like the impatient type, doesn't he? At least we know where he is while he keeps going on like that."

Yosef nods his wholehearted agreement to Till's quieted musings as he adjusts his grip and holds his position next to Jeloon at the entrance. "Agreed. Let us be ready and wary for a sneak attack!"

Alethan wrote:OOC: Maybe a cautious move into the temple as a group? Then the fighters with multiple attacks can try to hold off the rats while the rest of us go after the wererat?

OOC: damn good thought, Al. At work now but gotta come clean and say that Yosef is damn tempted to spin into the doorway with the wand of Fire and burn these bastards up! I'll get to posting an update later today after work.
Oh, where is Zif and his wonderful necklace when you need him???
Flambeaux
Strider
Strider

#51 Post by Flambeaux »

Good with whatever. Butt kicking, for goodness! ;)
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:... The tension of waiting for the assault continues, as the assault never comes, just some quiet hissing. After 20 or 30 seconds of waiting, you all hear laughter. It goes on for a bit, you recognize it as maniacal, perhaps dipping into insanity, at times fully immersed in it. Then you hear a strange voice, it's a deep man's voice, and yet has a hint of squeakiness to it when it calls out, as the rats chatter noisily: "Warriors, come out to play!" The voice repeats itself over and over, getting a bit louder each time, as the rats get obviously more agitated.

But yet still no attack comes...

OOC: Ron, is it possible to approximate how far away the voice is, say like halfway or perhaps closer? Listening to the laughing and then the taunting, does the voice appear to be coming from the same spot or could it possibly be moving about inside?

Alethan wrote:Oh, where is Zif and his wonderful necklace when you need him???
Tell me about it! Hope we can find one of those after I disintegrate that Wand of Fire... :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by rredmond »

The way the doors are actually open allow you to see in a bit, and adding Till's description, you get something like this:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (28.64 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Each block is 5' square.
The voice and rats are at the red X or thereabouts. The voice does not sound like it is moving.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by rredmond »

Looks like everyone hit busy times in RL at the same time! :D
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by Alethan »

After the eminent attack doesn't come, Till gathers the courage to peek through the crack in the door and see what is taking those rats so long. He'll be sure to take a quick body count of rats when he peeks through...

I've no idea where everyone else is. I've kind of been waiting for ideas from the rest of the party.

But, no matter. I can push the pace. :)
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Argennian »

Yosef holds his ground at the temple doors next to Jeloon, his longsword and the Wand of Fire at the ready. He waits to see if either the rats or their wererat master inside the temple will attack or react when Till sticks his head in for another peek.

"Keep an eye out for a possible attack at our backs or flank," he whispers, looking to Van and Bruard.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by rredmond »

Day 19 – 9:17 a

Till shouts, "STOP SAYING THAT!" as if he is agitated, then winks and smiles at the others. The squeaky deep voice says, “I don’t have to stop anything, I am King here, and soon to regain my realm of the whole city and then the world." Then the maniacal laughter again.

Van warns the cleric and henchman to watch their backs while Till peeks in. The guy on the throne is still there, with what looks like a score of rats surrounding him. None of them closer to the door. His laughter gets louder.

It’s at this point that Van says quietly, so that only you five can hear, “behind!” As he turns and prepares his spear, you all look, it seems another ten rats are coming out of the ruins behind you, it’s hard to tell, as they are coming around crumbling structures, but they look like they’re coming up out of the ground.

They quickly head your way fangs bared. They are coming around the buildings right in front of the temple, so by the time you see them they are about 50’ away.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 16/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till (on ground); 2- Jeloon (on ground); 3- Bruard (opp side of wall) & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 54 - Yosef (on wall); 5 - Van (on wall)
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Argennian »

The maniacal laughter in combination with the giant rat sneak assault from the rear flank is about all that Yosef can take. He leans into the doorway to be able to view the Rat King on his throne. "Not today, your majesty!" he calls out sarcastically as he levels the Wand of Fire at him and fires off the last remaining fireball...

[1d6] = 6 + [1d6] = 3 + [1d6] = 1 + [1d6] = 2 + [1d6] = 5 + [1d6] = 4 (All 1s treated as 2s)

22 damage (save for half)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

Nice. Hate to see the wand crumble to dust like that, but we have a serious need for the AOE spell.

"If you lot can handle the rats out here, I'll run in after Yosef's fireball has done its job and make sure the king doesn't flee the kingdom."
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#60 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:.It’s at this point that Van says quietly, so that only you five can hear, “behind!” As he turns and prepares his spear, you all look, it seems another ten rats are coming out of the ruins behind you, it’s hard to tell, as they are coming around crumbling structures, but they look like they’re coming up out of the ground.
At this, Bruard turns and prepares for the oncoming rats. Do you need an attack roll yet?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”