OOC

The Bindoner
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#41 Post by The Bindoner »

I'm getting an old laptop set up, hopefully I can get away from this horrible fiddly little phone thing.
:?
Still, at least I'm here.

One thing I've learned, back up to external media weekly, at least. And write down every password, not just the few you need to verify the others. The time it takes to "forgotten password" all those accounts :?
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Tiglath »

You're giving me flashbacks to when I changed my email ... :shock: ;) :)
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Gorethirster »

Sorry to hear about the computer situation. Hopefully getting everything transferred to a new machine is going as smoothly as can be hoped. I also wanted to compliment your choice of video for that taser shotgun. Forgotten Weapons is a great channel and you're clearly a person of taste and class.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by The Bindoner »

I'm limping along on an old Windows 7 machine I kept as backup after it became too crippled to use two machines back. Dodgy keyboard, among other things. Not ideal in a text based game.

I have some things on an external drive, but I hadn't backed up the Oghma notes for a couple of weeks, Ah well, at least it's fresh in my mind.

Hopefully the old one will be repaired, and I can get access to the TB of data n it ( only about 100GB is important and unarchived ) but the parts need to be ordered...

anyway, for now I#m going to be slow to post - this machine's biggest fault is that every active program keeps popping up it's help window/tab. Can't get rid of 'em. fter a while all you can do is reboot, and get another 30 minutes - 1 hour.

Forgotten Weapons is a very interesting channel, as is C&R arsenal. I have history channel recommendations :D
hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#45 Post by hardrocks »

Just had a 3 day power failure on mine but seems to be up and running now I have a new cable :) Maybe the weather...
Love forgotten weapons too. Tank chats is also good for some heavier forgotten weapons :D
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Tiglath »

Well, here's my guilty pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... s+workshop

From the wonderful noise different arrows make "Who's shooting at me?" to "Can arrows defeat armour?" (an Agincourt breastplate vs. a warbow arrow).

... and just cos I can't stop myself a lot of commentators missed the point on the last one.

Whether the truly scary longbowman can penetrate the breastplate isn't really the point because he can get something like a six inch grouping and that means he can actually shoot you anywhere he likes...

The accounts of French knights having their visors torn off don't actually make sense until you see the forces involved in the video! :o
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by The Bindoner »

Plus, of course, there's the horse. I think shooting that counts as a "mobility kill" in modern anti-armour terms. Now the battlefield approaching the bowmen's position is clogged with dead and injured horses and disoragnised, and possibly injured suddenly-infantry.

A thought occured to me regarding Oghma slang for offworlders: Oghma was nearly destroyed by the Sindalian Empire, based on the world Sindal. Oghma sees itself as still at war with the Sindalians, and the constant raids on their neighbours are as much about continuing that war ( and denying those worlds as resource centers or bases to the enemy ) as gathering resources for Oghma.

Given that the priesthood were instrumental in preserving Oghma's tech and society would it be appropriate to refer to natives of neighbouring worlds, and perhaps all non-Oghma, as "Sinners"?

More Youtube: suggestions:

First an old one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZpDIpq ... ex=54&t=0s

then some newer ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7lOoQ9XaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRX-OHa ... &index=131

And a different channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mjjrCQiuO0

Lindybeige has some amusing comments on movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMi-N5exqD4
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by The Bindoner »

Once the warband are settled in it's the festival of Setting Forth. The clan gather to see off the Raider Fleet. Family and friends say farewell, tradesmen sell everything a Raider could want, the temples are busy with sacrifices and blessings and there is alcohol, food and negotiable affection ( both enslaved and free ) to everyone's taste.

( It is a week after Midwinter, the weather conditions are harsh, but the festival field is heated by deep geothermal vents, and the exhausts are vectored to create a shield against the wind and snow )
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by The Bindoner »

Just to make clear: The festival is a last chance to buy things before you leave Oghma. If it isn't in the Locker/Armoury your equipment list, you'll have to do without.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Tiglath »

I did check out armour for the "kids". Curmudgeon edition Traveller has Flak Jacket as a bit light in the armour department but Mongoose has it as bulkier but better than cloth.

However is it just a torso covering?

If so Raven will buy the kids cloth to layer under the flak jackets.

Edit:

If she buys 8 Cloth @ 500Cr so 4KCr

and 6 Adv tosro Protector @1KCr so 6KCr

They'll all have Torso Protector + Cloth armour (except Raven and Ragnheiðr who has her own armour).
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by The Bindoner »

Yes, Flak Jacket is torso protection only, and can be layered with other armour.

Weight becomes an issue doing that.

There are helmets and shields in the Arming Room.

Leg protection is available from vendors at the Festival.

It might be better to buy lightweight “Protec” armour. It's pretty fancy by Oghma standards. I'd normally add 10-20%, but Kor has a connection :)

The Torso protector/Cloth combo is 8+2=10kg. Not a lot left for weapons and such. Not a problem if you do things quickly, but prolonged encounters/chases become tiring quickly.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Tiglath »

After expending a certain amount of Old Norse (actually it sounded a lot like French) discovering the additional armour rules are in the Central Supply Catalogue and not the rules set. I've got to this:

Raven will buy 11 x Light Arm Protection AV1 @ 75Cr and Light Leg Protection AV2 @ 100Cr.
1,100 + 835 = 1,935 Cr

This combined with the issue Light Infantry Helmets AV5 gives the magic number of something divisible by 4 (any other armour and encumberance is a waste) for 8/4 = 2 giving +2 AV from "peripheral head/limb protection".

The Torso Protector gives half value AV8/2 = AV4 so another +4 AV to our AV5 (Imp Cloth) base.

The warband (not vehicle crew) are therefore a quite respectable AV 11.

...and Raven is 11,935 Cr out of pocket (dependant on Kor's discount).

Encumberance isn't so much of an issue due to the APC and because the warband are truly frightening specimens of Scandiweigan physicality and must look like Nightwish (top band):
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Emppu the blond (guitarist) isn't actually "short". It just that everyone else especially Marco, Tuomas and (the lovely) Floor are all at six feet plus.
hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by hardrocks »

Great photo, not sure which one I am, maybe the "short" one.

Kar will gladly help with getting all the officers/crew any discount he can.
Last edited by hardrocks on Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Tiglath »

They're a great band and if you like symphonic rock they knock the "pop" attempts at it into a cocked hat.

Close your eyes if you have traumatic memories of the Pearl Harbour movie (but the sound quality is good):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvz_OEaVdCY

Here's them in action live at Wembley at 0:57 Emppu walks backstage of Floor (and closer to the camera). But because she's about 6'6" in heels it all gets a bit mind bogglingly "Gandalf and Frodo"! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNC_uZ2 ... 0K&index=7
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by The Bindoner »

After expending a certain amount of Old Norse (actually it sounded a lot like French) discovering the additional armour rules are in the Central Supply Catalogue and not the rules set. I've got to this:
Sorry, should have said. MgT1 is a bit all over the place,. I've used t for years and I still forget where some things are among the various books.

I purposely only put 3 sets of Improved Cloth in the Arming room, so someone will need to buy more if it's going to be the basic warrior suit. ( Ragnheiðr has the Poly Carapace, so she doesn't need it )

EDIT

There are 5 Torso protectors in the Armoury already, if that changes your calculations.

EDIT 2

Erlingr's father can supply any armour. TL 8 or less at 20% discount, TL9 or 10 at 10% discount.

Hróarr's brother Ívarr makes Improved Cloth and his sister Hildr has 8 sets she will sell at 25% discount. She gifts one set to Hróarr ( free of charge, it's for family ). Hildr also has 4 Torso Protectors made by Ívarr she will give a 15% discount on. The time and cost of materials involved is greater, unfortunately.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Tiglath »

Hildr has 7 sets she will sell at 25% discount. 7x500=2625 (discounted)

She gifts one set to Hróarr

Hildr also has 4 Torso Protectors made by Ívarr she will give a 15% discount on.

4x1000=3400 (discounted)

Buying the above posting shorthand due to serial errors on this board becoming trying.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by The Bindoner »

Yes, there have been a lot of "internal server errors" lately.

Because my browser logs me out regularly I try to remember to copy any post to clipboard before submitting, so I can recover the text.

EDIT:

Forgot to add this before, remembered this time.

Hildr and Ívarr have made a set of Improved Cloth for Sniffer ( the dog ). Hildr's dog Sprinter ( Spretthlaupar )i, a litter-mate, has a matching set.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Tiglath »

That's great! :)

Dawg armour was on my list!

Further purchases:

Erlingr's father can supply any armour. TL 8 or less at 20% discount

Light Arm Armour 75x11=825 (discounted at 20%) gives 660Cr

Light Leg Armour 100x11=1100 (discounted at 20%) gives 880Cr

1540Cr deducted.

Further 1700Cr deducted for negotiated price on Torso Protectors from Erlingr.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by The Bindoner »

I've ported the Armoury and Ship's Locker over to this forum.

Care to check the armour list for me Tiglath?
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Tiglath »

Will do!

I used the old site's list to inform Raven's shopping spree so all should tally up.

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”