I. Entry

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Entry

#341 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu nods to Abe, confirming his position at the front of the line with Tavari and Kernodle. Moving into place next to Tavari, Pardu looks down at the halfling and gives a short bow, and whispers, 'Well met, Tavari. It looks as though we will be covering each other's backs so long as we're down here.' And to Kernodle, 'Can you tell how many kobolds might be in the next chamber? If there are too many we might scout out some other way around, or at least try to funnel them into a fight at our end of the tunnel.'

I don't have the LL rules with me now, would I be able to throw stones from a sling if I were 1 or 2 people back in the marching line, or would they block my line of sight/firing arc? If I can, Pardu will tuck his flail away and sling his shield, readying his sling.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#342 Post by dmw71 »

Starbeard wrote:I don't have the LL rules with me now, would I be able to throw stones from a sling if I were 1 or 2 people back in the marching line, or would they block my line of sight/firing arc? If I can, Pardu will tuck his flail away and sling his shield, readying his sling.
Over a halfling, yes. Over a dwarf, probably. Over another human, no.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle softens to a whisper...
Not really sure. I hear a couple of voices, so I assume 2 or more. I cant make out how many, unfortunately. Its too muffled to make heads or tails of what they are saying...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Starbeard »

dmw71 wrote:
Starbeard wrote:I don't have the LL rules with me now, would I be able to throw stones from a sling if I were 1 or 2 people back in the marching line, or would they block my line of sight/firing arc? If I can, Pardu will tuck his flail away and sling his shield, readying his sling.
Over a halfling, yes. Over a dwarf, probably. Over another human, no.
Pardu gathers his sling and into his hand and notches a stone, reaching back to rearm his shield once the stone is secured in place. 'Tavari, if you scout ahead of me, be careful where you poke your head. I plan on throwing off a stone before we meet in melee, and I'd rather you be up and fighting than down with rock in the back of your skull.'

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#345 Post by spanningtree »

Sheathing his sword he'll pull out his crossbow. Luken will say: Perhaps we bait them down here? This would tell us if they are friendly or.... We can use ranged weapons as they come into this area, those without can stay to the side near the entrance and make a surprise attack.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Starbeard »

'Not a bad idea, Luken,' Pardu whispers, peering down the darkness of the corridor. 'So which one of us is going to be lucky enough to bait them here?'

Edit to get rid of ooc talk: Pardu looks around as the others shuffle their gear to make sure that there's enough ambient light to see, and if not, that someone's still holding a torch.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by AleBelly »

"The bait always dies…either by the hook or by the predator, but I can scout ahead" smiles Tavari. "I'm not one for hand-to-hand fighting, though. My plan is to go forward slay a kobold with my arrow then run back and allow you big men to take care of them with your weapons."

Tavari blinks and remembers something Luken said, turning to him. "Friendly kobolds? I've never heard of such a thing" Tavari giggles. "I think it's best to assume they're foes."

"So, I'll try to draw them into this room and let the rest of you hack them to pieces. Sound good?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle nods.

Yes, but if there are many and you can retreat before being noticed. please try. We may find another route or another plan much safer.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by AleBelly »

"Yes, wise as an elf you are, Kernodle" winks Tavari. "I'll scout ahead, and only attack if it looks like we can handle them." The careful observer will notice Tavari's hands shaking ever so slightly as he readies his bow and heads as quietly as possible down the west passageway.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by onlyme »

kernodle takes the jab in stride, knowing it is most likely a nervous comment and not one made with clear thinking... He ponders whether to grab his sling and rocks or his sword.

Does it make sense to stack the centipedes near that entrance to slow down their entry? That might give us a clear shot before we are toe to toe...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#351 Post by Alethan »

"Wouldn't that slow down Tavari, as well? Might be better to give him a clear path through while we wait on either side of the entrance," Abe replies thoughtfully.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#352 Post by spanningtree »

Maybe these would slow them down? Luken will say producing 4 prices of gold.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#353 Post by dmw71 »

Tavari agrees to scout ahead while the others remind behind, safely seeking as much concealment as they can in their current cavern. Kernodle suggests using the dead centipedes as a possible stall tactic, but when it's pointed out that blockading the entrance could potentially impede Tavari in the event he needed to make a hasty retreat, Luken produced four gold coins instead.

Preparations made, the halfling disappears down the branch to the west.
C8.png
C8.png (5.55 KiB) Viewed 924 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

The diminutive figure of Tavari emerges from the darkness. "The passage heads mainly west for at least another sixty feet, and it remains narrow. The voices with that ugly language lie beyond. I'm not the smartest thing on two legs, but I don't think we can bait those kobolds into this room. Perhaps you all can follow me forty feet or so and I can scout ahead again."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#355 Post by spanningtree »

Luken will poke is head into the passage dropping the gold on the floor at the same time. Oh no! I've dropped my gold! He will say none to quietly down the way Tavari came from. He will listen to see if the voices stop in reaction to his statement. You make want to take a position. He will quietly say to Tavari. He will toss both of the fire beetle glands near the center of the room then stand near the south side of the room with his crossbow trained on the passage.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Starbeard »

Pardu stiffens his muscles and trains his ears down the corridor, listening for signs of movement from the humanoids, ready to step into view and whirl his sling if they approach.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by AleBelly »

Tavari listens to Luken, shrugs his shoulders, then retreats far enough east to allow others to fire missile weapons past him at any oncoming enemies. To enable this, Tavari will kneel along the north wall (he's left handed), drawing his bow.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#358 Post by dmw71 »

"Oh no! I've dropped my gold!" proclaims Luken in an attempt to lure the source of the voices ahead towards the group. Everyone stands still with weapons readied, efforting to hear if the bait was taken.

The voices briefly pause, but resume shortly afterwards in what are obviously more hushed tones. There doesn't seem to be any change in the position of the creatures making the noise.
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by onlyme »

Kernodle will hold his sword ready for a fight. He will try to listen to the voices to make out anything that he can.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#360 Post by Alethan »

"I don't think they're falling for your ruse," Abelard whispers under his breath as his arm tires from holding his mace upright for so long.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Resurface (LL)”