Barrow Mounds: Mummy, the Return.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Mummy, the Return.

#341 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Dougal tries to get out of the mound, with headdress and all.

Normal Ability Check [3d6]=9 vs 16DEX
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Provided the stragglers are able to escape upstairs, Moriartus exits the barrow. Or tries to, clumsily. Once everyone is outside ...

"Quickly, strike the supports! Collapse the tunnel!"

Dexterity (9): [3d6]=12
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by Spearmint »

The Mummy Mound

The group panic and run. Some are lucky, the fleet footed scrambling through the dugout tunnel. Others are delayed as the scarab swarms seek to overwhelm and bring down a tomb robbers.

Durgo sheathes his blade and decides to drop and roll hoping to shake out the biting critters. The scarabs scuttle under his clothes, indeed he feels them crawling under his skin, subdermal parasites seeking to burrow through flesh and bone. -1hp

The two afflicted miners wriggle in pain also, each gets pierced by beetle miners intent on a motherlode heart of blood. Meatloaf -4hp and Plantie -1hp take grievous wounds. Worst of all, the cleric of Silvanus, chewed and nibbled and riddled with scarabs. Two-Birds -3hp.

basically the scarabs bite 'as a swarm' but the swarm attacks with a bonus equal to the damage inflicted from the previous round.

They stagger under their beetle burdens.

Venwynn tries to help the cleric, stabbing at a crawling scarab, trying to cut it free from flesh. Her dagger skewers one and she crushes it underfoot.

Lemmy and Ozzy try to hold back the swarm, swotting with spades but to no avail.

Fydmar as first through the tunnel, he squeezed through, a dab hand at dungeon delving in tight spaces. Dalin and Cadeweed scuttle like beetles after him.

Moriartus holds his ground to cast a spell, giving himself a circle of protection from the necrotic creations.

Dougal, saluted by the zombie guards ignores their expectation. He runs on, up the stairs bearing the gilded shawl and headdress. The eight zombies shuffle to follow, walking among the stream of jet black creatures. Neither seems to bother the other. As the ranger reaches the upper chamber he realises the zombies follow upon his heels, but not threateningly as the scarabs do.

actions for Durgo, Moriartus & Dougal please. The others have exited the mound.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Upon seeing Two-Bird's plight, Moriartus ignores any sense of self preservation and rushes to her side, as he also prays to Arcantryl that the circle of protection will physically ward the scarabs.

Casts Protection from Evil on Two-Birds.

Spell Retention (17): [4d6+1]=11+1=12
scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#345 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Keep an eye out for our friends & enemies while I see if anything is creeping up on us whilst we were occupied with our hasty exit.
As he looks around to see if there are any signs of danger outside.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#346 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Dougal, seeing now clearer that the skeletons are there for him (when you said "the ranger", I didn't know you were referring to mine :lol: ), turns around, doubts for a second and, with all his might of presence that the accoutrements he's wearing give him, points at the scarabs. "Attack at thaus scarabs and spehr all humans and demi-humans in there!" Says he with something ressembling a commanding voice that's clearly out not in his habit to use.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Spearmint »

The Mummy Mound

The scarab swarm continues to afflict the fleeing adventurers. This time Durgo and Meatloaf survive the horrendous gnawing. Despite an arcane ward placed on her, Two-Birds suffers another wound -1hp and Plantie gets chewed on by two beetles that bore towards his innards.-2hp

The zombies halt their following, receiving an order in a brogue common to slay the beetles. The zombies struggle to comprehend the vocabulary until physical gestures are made. The eight undead guards begin to hack and stab among the stone scarabs, squishing them underfoot and cracking them into smaller shards and splinters.

The brief respite is enough for the miners to pair up and aid each other. Venwynn aids the stricken cleric, each pair following Dougal through the dug out tunnel.Moriartus watches amazed and shepherds his bleeding flock through the narrow passage until he remains alone.

Last but not least he struggles through the passage, accidentally kicking the supporting struts behind him. The miners have done a good job. Several of the team failed dexterity checks but did not cause a collapse, until now.

Moriartus bites the dust, earth fills his mouth and the weight of a ton of earth squeezes his back, almost squeezing the very life out of him and burying him alive. Another adventurer swallowed by the barrow mounds but fortunately the tunnel is short and prepared for such eventualities, the mage is dug out by Dalin and Fydmar.

-4hp Moriartus.
The entrance to this tomb collapsed, whoever wants to explore will need to dig a new one. Eight guardians, animated from a long deathwatch await the return of 'Master' or to tackle the next intruders.

Injured and bleeding, some a minor injury from death, the group have a choice on what to do next though Helix and a haven look a very welcome vote.

actions everyone please.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus
Quonundrum wrote: "Quickly, strike the supports! Collapse the tunnel!"
Of course he was speaking rhetorically, figuring he would just go ahead do it himself ... :shock: :D

Is Moriartus still conscious?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Spearmint »

Is Moriartus still conscious?
ok. So you didn't adjust the -2hp from the Mongrelmen on your sheet. With the tunnel collapse -4hp that puts you on exactly 0hp, so unconscious but stable.

Venwynn has a 1st Aid kit she has not used yet from char-gen.

Venwynn uses 1st Aid kit. [4d6]=11 vs 14 wisdom check. [1d4]=2

So using that you regain consciousness and 1hp and the second +1hp after an hour of rest or as walking wounded.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Quonundrum »

Ah, sorry, thought I did. Thanks!
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

His breathing steadies under Two-Bird's care. Fluttering eyelids indicating a slow return to consciousness. Opening his eyes, Moriartus initially regards the cleric with a mild expression of confusion and unfamiliarity. "Miss Two-Birds? What happened-" He starts, easing himself up onto his elbows. "Ah, yes .. the tunnel collapsed."

Moriartus looks back to the now dirt and rubble filled entrance to confirm they are indeed safe from the scarab swarm. He then surveys the group members, checking that each is alive, although some teetering on the edge with grievous wounds.

"Very nicely done, Mr. Dougal. Brilliant!" He states, nodding in approval at the ranger. The prayer to Arcantryl was also a bit of a surprise. Certainly not something he was prone to do before today. Although, the Moor it seems has a way of pressing a man to his limits and beyond. It is at these moments that define one's character and he was willing to try anything to avoid the demons of the past.

He struggles to his feet and leans heavily on the jackal headed staff he just absconded with. "I suggest that we make haste and return to Helix." Though ostensibly a suggestion, his tone of voice implied no expectation of disagreement.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Thank ye, sir. I'm glad we all survived. It wasa hard one for suir." He suddenly realizes he's still "adorned" with the shawl and the headdress, so he takes them off and packs them in his backpack.

Being outdoors and with a mission to accomplish - going back to Helix - his ranger instincts surge back and he immediately starts looking at the horizon, in case any hostiles might be approaching.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#353 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo focus' on getting out of the mound and then draws his knife and works to kill/remove any beetles still in him.

OOC not sure if I need another dex roll but if so, here it is.

Dex 13 [3d6]=4 He's through.

If he needs to roll attacks on the beetles and is not going to be using all his strength to minimize damage to himself. More of a surgery than hacking a leg off situtation :lol:

[1d20+1]=5+1=6, dmg s/m [1d3+3]=3+3=6, dmg L [1d2+3]=1+3=4
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#354 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin "I think I've had my fill of this mound. It's getting a bit too weird, even for me."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#355 Post by Spearmint »

The Mummy's Return.

The group rest breathless outside the mound, satisfied they have secured some trove, discovered potential aids to a wider environmental pestilence and stand more or less intact.

Several of the team are bandaged up like the Mummy who rose in the Oval chamber. Grievous wounds from burrowing scarabs cut out before they eat flesh and drill through major organs. The walking wounded shuffle as proverbial zombies but this time the group have a cart rather than ad-hoc travois. Loaded heavy and limping, the group follow the return trail back through the field of mammoth bones. The group skirt wide of the notorious quicksand like bogs, one eye on the ground, one in the sky. Death can come quickly to the unwary.

Mummy's return: mounds, Moor & more. [1d6]=2[1d6]=5[1d6]=4[1d6]=4

As it is Dougal proves his mettle, skillfully tracking the winding trail until once more you breach the misty moor to arrive upon the westwards road just a couple of miles from Helix.

Welcoming lights of hearth fires twinkle through windows, children play, farmers nod cordially. The last leg is peaceful and in the early evening of May 21st, the group arrive back in town.

and with that, with no random encounters I can conclude this expedition. The miners take stock, enjoying a welcome beer, meal and bath in the tavern before returning to the Mercenary Guild.

I will summarise experience awards. Discuss here your distribution of any treasures.

Venwynn, NPC'd by me while Tarlyn was absent gains 1/2 share XP & trove. I think checking, the miners were seconded subject to Osen getting a full share of trove also.

Gain no XP but a 1/2 share of treasure. Cost absorbed by Osen who takes a full XP and trove share.

comments, actions and discussion please.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by Spearmint »

as an amendment to the above I am waiving Osen getting any xp value.

Mummy's Return experience awards:

Wyvern +1325xp
Creeper vines. +50xp
Soldier ants x40. 750xp
Statue Scarab swarms x4 +320xp
Breakthrough wall, reinforce tunnels +50xp

Bloodthirsty Wolf Spiders x2 +380xp

Discover 'goat-sacrificers' mound +50xp
Dolmen Mound, giant skeleton & hear harpies +50xp
Mongrelmen x9. 260xp
Shadow Mastiffs x2 514xp

The above totals were divided by full shares to character players and half shares to NPC's. The spiders awarded to those at the Mummy mound and the separate experience award to those who scouted the barrows.

Individual totals were assessed for 10% prime requisite bonus and I give a player participation award of +100xp.

The final total is below. Please adjust your sheets accordingly and congratulations to those who may level up while in Helix:

Two-Birds. +353xp

Moriartus . +876xp
Cadeweed. +876xp

Fydmar +584xp
Dalin +584xp
Dougal +584xp
Durgo. +584xp

Venwynn. +292xp
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by Quonundrum »

Thanks!

Do I still get an XP bonus for finding the post with the miners' names?

:mrgreen:

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 99#p601299
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Spearmint »

take 24 to round up.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by Quonundrum »

W00t! :D
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#360 Post by GreyWolfVT »

added XP to Sheet, as for treasure I don't specifically want or need anything unless it helps fight off diseases. Otherwise I am content that the experience alone and XP were quite all enough for Dalin, he will take whatever treasure is split or offered.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “Completed Expeditions”